• 122 results
Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Twiggy199

It's weird because, it wouldn't be my personal choice yet i couldn't agree more, Half-life 2 was a great game!.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By penguindust

WOW and CoD4 are great choices for their cultural and economic impact on the industry. I probably would have said Wii Sports is the Game of the Decade. It's the best selling video game in history with 80 million copies in circulation, and its success compelled the competition to change their business focuses. If Wii Sports didn't catch like fire as it did, I seriously doubt we'd have seen a Move or Kinect this generation.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By pr1mus

It's a good choice but it's no GTA: Vice City.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

Shadow of the Colossus was the correct answer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

These nomination things are so damned stupid. You can nominate a Game of the Year, but you can't nominate a Game of the Generation. You may as well get over 100 human beings and judge which one as Jesus based on their being alone.

Despite that, I do agree with the notion that HL2 is truly one of the best games of the decade. The game does shit that not even games today have the ability to do. It's got some of the best physics on the market and some of the best art and animation, even today. The shooting and AI is bland, but it's still a masterful game in my book.

Stradimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Stradimus

While I certainly wouldn't have picked HL2 as game of the decade, I'm also not very upset about it. It is a great decade and has had many gamers chomping at the bit for a near decade for a sequel. That's a powerful draw.

If I was to pick a game of the decade, it would have to be WoW. I say this, not as a current fan (formerly, yes) but as someone who has seen this game shape entirely new way of doing this genre. It cannot be ignored that WoW forced all competitors to first find a way to be like them and THEN find a way to work their own ideas in. They have successfully adapted gameplay to match the newest and coolest concepts and found a way to keep the game relevant for almost a solid decade! That is an exceptional feet. So whether you love or hate the game, you have to at least acknowledge that WoW has had an impressive impact on the gaming world. Their contribution alone should have been enough for GotD.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Trainer_Red

Half Life 2 wasn't even game of the week! OOOOH BURN...

Seriously though, choosing a "game of the year" let alone a "game of the decade" is stupid. There was just too many great games to choose from.

I personally would have chosen COD 4 or Red Dead Redemption but hey, not everyone can be right.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#108  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I'd put HL2 in the top 5 of most overrated games of the decade.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By Dixavd

A Valve game won a popularity vote; that's never happened before...

Seriously though, the list was too small and kind of pointless (there seemed to be no criteria, so everyone would go in with a different opinion of what the Game of the Decade should be: most influential, most polished, most innovative, most successful, etc...). But then again, it was just a news stunt to get people to watch the VGAs saying "this is the tenth year of the VGAs, it must be awesome" without actually giving away anything that will be at the event.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#110  Edited By elyk247

I think that Half-Life 2 was a fine choice. The physics at the time were incredible, and not only that, it was a game. I didn't have control taken away from me at all, even during cut scenes. Out of all the choices, I would probably have given it to Bioshock, but Half-Life 2 is still a great choice.

kunoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By kunoh

If game of the decade means most influential and important game - then maybe, yes Half-Life 2 deserves that. On the other hand if game of the decade means which game did I have the most FUN with - then I'd pick either a Halo game, World of Warcraft, or Call of Duty. Yes, technically Half-Life 2 did an amazing job with its physics, and never-before-seen visuals, etc, etc... But there's something to be said for a game that can bring together friends to do 4-6 hour dungeon raids, or kill each other online for countless hours into the night.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Sanity

Eh, i cant think of anything better to nominate for it but i also think video games are hard enough to judge on a year to year basis let alone a entire decade. At least it was actually a intelligent choice and not something dumb.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#113  Edited By Green_Incarnate

All hail Valve. But seriously Duke Nukem Forever.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#114  Edited By slax

I feel like Half-Life 2 is a super safe choice and I feel like that is why Spike chose it.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Nottle

@thugg1280: What do you think is Game of the Decade?

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#116  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

It's very influential and well made. It might not be the greatest but its a safe choice.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#117  Edited By medacris

I voted for HL2 because I figured they were going for "most influential game". Arguably, a lot of the other games nominated in the past wouldn't even exist without one or both of the Half-Life games.

I felt like Portal and Bioshock were also solid choices. Not to the extent of HL2, but still very influential and immersive.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Nottle

@TooWalrus said:

My personal game-of-this-arbitrary-10-year-period would probably be something like Bayonetta or Persona 3... but honestly, I played so much god damn World of Warcraft, that's got to be it.

You and I should pick games of the decade.

@Fredchuckdave: Oh God, was RE4 or MGS3 mentioned anywhere? Those games probably deserve a spot more than Mass Effect 2 or Windwaker (as good as those games are. What were the weaker nominations? Can't think of any.

thugg1280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#119  Edited By thugg1280

@Nottle said:

@thugg1280: What do you think is Game of the Decade?

• The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  • Half-Life 2
  • World of Warcraft
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Wii Sports
  • BioShock
  • Portal
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Batman: Arkham City
  • Out of that list i would pick world of warcraft hell i think red dead redemption is a better game than hl2 but thats just me.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Nottle

@thugg1280: Both deserve a the title, I'm not a huge WOW fan but I could see it's significance. Red Dead and HL2 both have pacing issues, even though I love them both. What about games that aren't on the list?

thugg1280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#121  Edited By thugg1280

lots of games are not on the list Uncharted games Call of duty 4 no Grand Theft Auto games Skyrim a few right off the top of my head.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#122  Edited By WickedCobra03

@PenguinDust said:

WOW and CoD4 are great choices for their cultural and economic impact on the industry. I probably would have said Wii Sports is the Game of the Decade. It's the best selling video game in history with 80 million copies in circulation, and its success compelled the competition to change their business focuses. If Wii Sports didn't catch like fire as it did, I seriously doubt we'd have seen a Move or Kinect this generation.

Basically this is how I feel. I liked CoD and CoD2, but once they came to consoles my interest kind of faded, but you cannot under estimate the impact of CoD4. Halo also did a lot for consoles shooters as far as how everything is based off of that game now. WoW, well its World of Warcraft, everyone knows what that is. Wii Sports is basically a thing that most people in the 1st world has experienced.

I am not going to say that I am mad because Half-Life 2 easily rates in my top 10 or 25 games of all-time without a doubt, but I just dunno if it has the impact that other games had. On the other hand, Half-Life 2 did launch Steam basically...