Star Ocean: The Last Hope or Magnacarta 2?

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RoxasXIII

Yeah I know it's all a matter of opinion but I still thought I'd ask the GB community. I'm a big RPG fan so I'll probably end up liking either one, but I'm probably gonna get a gift card for Gamestop so I could only get one or the other. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the games so that I could form a better opinion on what to get. Thanks!

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By luce

I personally didn't play either but i heard both had interesting battle systems but horrible stories. I'd go with Star Ocean because i heard the battle system is really addicting.

MeetThePyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By MeetThePyro

Do you want a jRPG specifically, because I would just say Tales of  Vesparia (sp) or just wait for ffXIII

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RoxasXIII

I kinda want a JRPG specifically. But I already own Tales, thanks for the suggestion though, it's a great game.  

@luce: Yeah I heard Star Ocean was really fun too.. I might just go with that one since Magnacarta 2 has been getting some "eh" reviews

Dungeonbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dungeonbuster

Haven't played Magna Carta 2, but I have gone through Last Hope. All I can say about that is that it has a great battle system and an interesting story, but I hated the dialogue and the characters were pretty forgettable. If you want a game with all of the JRPG cliches, this is it.  But the combat system is deliciously awesome. tri-Ace knows how to put together a real-time combat system loaded with crazy specials and tough enemies to test your skills with. It's really the only thing that kept me going through it.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Luke
@RoxasXIII:  If you can wait for like just 2 more months the International version of Star Ocean: The Last Hope is coming-out, complete with new characters, content, and options to make the game more like the JP version.   

Here's the trailer for it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoZbnIN8rlw 

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RoxasXIII
@Dungeonbuster: Man you're getting me excited haha. I've heard a lot of good things about the combat and it would be cool to see how its evolved since Star Ocean 3.  

@Luke: Oh wow, thanks for the news, I had no idea they were coming out with that.. I may have to wait possibly..
XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By XxBarretxX

yea but the international version is ps3 only

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By MildMolasses

I haven't played MC2, but  I would suggest that over SO4 simply because of a very aggrivating freezing bug that's in the game. That combined with very sparse save points makes the game really hard to recommend because of a lot of potential progress loss. If PS3 games are an option, I would second the suggestion of waiting for that version of SO4, which I am looking forward to playing without getting really pissed off
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust
@RoxasXIII:  

Look at the metacritic reviews of both the games. 

Of what i've heard, magna carta is a good game, but nothing too special also. 

There are better jrpgs in the market, like Lost Odyssey and the Persona games.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Venatio

Out of those 2 I would say Star Ocean, Im kinda interested in Star Ocean but Im more interested in the International version for my PS3 thats coming out later

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RoxasXIII
@Jeust: I would definitely get Lost Odyssey.. but the thing is that I played it on my friend's 360 before I had one and got like 9 hours into it.. So I don't know if I could play those 9 hours over again without wanting to shoot myself.. You know how RPGs are that way 

But damn, thats sucks that it's only coming out for the PS3.. I don't own one haha. 

@MildMolasses: Wait.. there's a freezing bug in SO4?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Jeust
@RoxasXIII:  

ahahaha true. 

And have you tried Eternal Sonata?   

That is the only other one that i heard being above average.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Venatio
@Jeust said:
" @RoxasXIII:   ahahaha true.  And have you tried Eternal Sonata?    That is the only other one that i heard it above average. "
I would recommend Eternal Sonata, I enjoyed the battle system and it feels like a unique  RPG
MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By MildMolasses
@RoxasXIII:

Yeah, I don't know how prevalent it is, but it is common enough for a lot of people to complain about it and for Square-Enix to blame MS for it. There are supposed fixes for it, however many of them contradict each other, so it's really a craps shoot. You may get lucky and have no issues with it, or you could be like me and on several occaisions lose more than an hours worth of progress (which could have been mitigated with more frequent savepoints, thus much less time to lose without a save). It's for this reason why I can't recommend the 360 version, and can only hope that the PS3 version actually works. Too bad, because it was fun to play. 

I should note that it's possible the game has been patched, but as of 3 or 4 months after release nothing had been done about it, so I would assume they never did
quezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By quezen

Star Ocean IV is way better then  games like - Eternal Sonata,Magna Carta 2 and Enchanted arms or Folklore.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Star Ocean IV is the lesser evil.

XxBarretxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By XxBarretxX
@quezen:  

I hope that's a joke, Folklore and Eternal Sonata are much much better then Star Ocean
quezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By quezen
@XxBarretxX said:

" @quezen:   I hope that's a joke, Folklore and Eternal Sonata are much much better then Star Ocean "

I hope you're joking now.
SO4 has the best JRPG combat system out there atm, and while you can dislike the characters and the story, well... folklores and ES isnt much to hang in the tree for either...
Also, SO4 with its 3 extra dungeons and 100's of side-quest + coliseum will last 100+ hours will ES? 20? even Disc 1 in SO4 took me 22 hours, while ES took me 25.
RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RoxasXIII
@MildMolasses: The only reason why this scares me is because I got one of the Fable 2 copies that would stall out within 10-15 of playing. You know, the one that actually red ringed some 360's? I might still try out SO4 though.. I hear the battle system is great, and honestly I'm not too picky about storylines and annoying characters (as long as I'm not playing it with other people around). I've been a fan of Star Ocean for awhile now, just never got the chance to pick it up. I'm sure you know how that is haha
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By xyzygy
@RoxasXIII: Well I have SO4 and it's really great. I only heard about that freezing bug a few days ago and only some people get it, I never once got a freeze/lock up during my time with the game. The battle system is amazing but the characters are total garbage, other than 3-4 of them.Thankfully you only need 4 on your party so you can get rid of the garbage ones. Magnacarta 2 looks awesome as well, but I haven't played it. I would recommend getting Star Ocean 4 - the story has some pretty neat things in it. 

So yeah I wouldn't worry about it freezing. I played the game for hours upon hours, put +100 hours into it and still no glitches.
Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Vorbis

Prefered Eternal Sonata over SO4, found the cast to be much more interesting especially the games music roots and story based on Frederic Chopins life.

However SO4 had a much better combat system and Arumats combos are some of the most impressive in an RPG, but I just found the whole tone of Eternal Sonata much more enjoyable. As others have said the SO4 cast need to be taken with a pinch of salt and Edge needs a good slap throughout most of the game, but as you said it's not a problem for you I would suggest SO4.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#23  Edited By D_W

The thing about jrpgs is that SMT exists. Why play anything else? 

But in all seriousness. Both Star Ocean 4 and Magnacarta 2 looked pretty horrible story and style-wise. I have yet to find a real enjoyable or interesting jrpg beyond the PS2-era.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#24  Edited By AgentJ

I've never cared much for Star Ocean, so perhaps Magnacarta.

quezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By quezen

warning light for Magna Carta 2, if you LIKE games such as "Enchanted arms" you will like Magna Carta otherwise stay away. The story and the characters are basically the same (wthout spoiling too much... ) and the dialoge is the same weird thing, were freezed NPC talk to each other in close up.
However,MC2 combat system is allright.

For anyone who wanna play some great JRPG's out now, I would suggest ...  Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey. or perhaps wait and see how FF13 and WKC ends up.

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RoxasXIII
@IntramanDW: Truer words could not be spoken.. I miss the PS2 RPG age.. 

@xyzygy: Thanks for the reassurance dude, I really want to play it but the whole glitch thing set me off a bit. If I can only get one, I might get SO4, but it may be possible that I can get both which would be cool
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By KaosAngel

Star Ocean has the prestige of Square Enix...and I'm not a fan of Korean games.  So take it for what it's worth.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By oldschool

I have SOIV but I haven't played it yet, and it will be my first SO.  I am looking forward to it.  I will get MC2 when the price comes down a little as it also looks very.  I never pay too much attention to the reviews as I usually like JRPG more than the reviewers.  Eternal Sonata has been my favourite JRPG so far this gem and I also liked Infinite Undiscovery.  I am also yet to ToV.  Get the cheapest one now and the other later, whatever that happens to be (they have been dumping and clearing SOIV in my country for $19, down from $119 - that makes me sad as gamers don't appreciate good games anymore and they don't sell).