street dateing games is the stupidest thing ever

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By prinny_god

yesterday I was at a gamestop and they had 30 copies of riddick and 30 copies of the godfather 2 just sitting on the desk, and its week before they come out.
 they are like "no no we can't sell them for a week" why not you have them your going to sell them anyways, and people that are waiting for those games would be super happy to get them a week early. Basically I'm saying I have money you have game, lets make a deal here.
If they get them a week early and don't sell them for that week whats the difference between just getting them the day before like non street dated games.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By prinny_god

yesterday I was at a gamestop and they had 30 copies of riddick and 30 copies of the godfather 2 just sitting on the desk, and its week before they come out.
 they are like "no no we can't sell them for a week" why not you have them your going to sell them anyways, and people that are waiting for those games would be super happy to get them a week early. Basically I'm saying I have money you have game, lets make a deal here.
If they get them a week early and don't sell them for that week whats the difference between just getting them the day before like non street dated games.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

It just has to do with marketing and getting additional reserves. In all honesty, Gamestop does get way more units shipped in for a street dated game; from that, they can say, "Listen, I know how many games we're getting. You should really consider putting down a reserve to get it on day one." Developers of big-budget games will always want their title to ship as soon as possible, but corporations and money grubbers just want to optimize allocation numbers and sales.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Are you serious?  Early sales are a huge infringement on the publishers, and would easily get an employee fired.  Look, they may have the copies at that store, but it takes a while to ship to all the stores all over the region, and early sales at one shop might be considered favoritism by the consumers.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By prinny_god
Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
"Are you serious?  Early sales are a huge infringement on the publishers, and would easily get an employee fired.  Look, they may have the copies at that store, but it takes a while to ship to all the stores all over the region, and early sales at one shop might be considered favoritism by the consumers."
but why is it a huge deal
its like if you want to buy a chair from me and I say wait till next week, next week its still the same chair at the same price
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't see what the problem with street dates is. It means that they can send the games to shops as soon as they are printed. If they just sent them when they were printed and had no street date you'd be complaining "place X gets games before place Y", because they won't all be printed at the same time, and won't go to all places at the same. Doing it this way guarantees stock on the official launch day, and prevents some places getting the game before other places.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By prinny_god

yeah it insures everyone gets games to sell but 95% of the time non- street dated games get everywhere they are going the day before or the day of launch