Super Heat Boy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm on the last level of "THE END" which, ironically, is anything but. I'm having to negotiate a veritable course of circular saw blades being chased by an enraged phoetus doctor. Yep, super meat boy is one hell of a game. 

Masocore is something which I occasionally inflict upon myself and Super Meat Boy fell at just the right moment. One cannot survive on a diet of cake alone, and it has been adequate time since my escapades with VVVVVV. It's a hard game to review because there really isn't much to it. It's perilously difficult, with a range of sadistic levels and a cracking soundtrack, but once that basic formula has been established it's a simple exercise in rinse and repeat. The level design is not particularly complex, it is not a game of puzzles - more of reactions and muscle memory. 

No Caption Provided

I can't decide if this is good or bad.

I'm certainly having a lot of fun playing it, even if the Dark Worlds are driving me fucking insane. I think what really keeps me coming back is that I have several friends who also own the game and we are each slowly chipping away to see who can crack it first. I think i'm in the lead but Robster has hella more bandages than me. DaemonicGrim isn't really a threat as he primarily uses Gish. Good luck with that, buddy... 

It's getting to that time of year where the upcoming releases have been locked in and people start throwing out Game of The Year lists. 

This entire process has been ridiculously convoluted and there is a very simple solution. 

You can't argue with Jeff Gerstmeme 

Having said that

The Indie game of the year yields much more heated and passionate discussion. With such quality titles as Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Shank, Amnesia, and not to mention fucking Minecraft, we have been spoilt for choice. Negotiations continue but Limbo looks to be the most promising. It might not be as balls-out entertaining as Super Meat Boy but it's design and polish has left a very lasting impression. I can't really argue Amnesia one way or the other, mainly because i'm too scared to keep playing it :'( 

Also, fuck minecraft

I was thinking about Fable 3

Having listened to yesterdays bombcast and I contemplated returning to Albion while I still have the chance - but I have no interest in hunting for keys or Demon Doors. Instead I found myself slightly frustrated that I was not given sufficient incentive to return to the locations that I had frequented throughout my playthrough. There are choices towards the end of the game which can radically warp the terrain of Albions many colourful districts, but having completed the game, there is very little reason to then go and see them. It's also a little disappointing that, having chosen to be a kind and benevolent ruler, most of my positive moral decisions did absolutely fuck all. For example there is a point when you are given the option of dumping excess city waste into a swamp occupied by left-wing eco-warriors. My decision to... you know... not do that left the place unchanged, a boost for my moral standing (and a hit to my wallet) but also left me feelingly slightly deprived - I would have liked to see the swamp all toxic and fucked up, that would have been a lot more interesting to see and experience. Instead it stayed exactly the same as it was and I continue to have no desire to return there ever again. 

No Caption Provided

There are also quite a lot of opportunities to pilfer money towards the end of the game, though why you would ever need to I have no idea. I had bought pretty much everything by the time I was halfway through the game, so most of the final decisions were pretty meaningless. I could simply opt for the good decision and take a minor financial hit every time. In retrospect I would have preferred the exclusion of buying and renting property in Albion. It's handled badly (raising and lowering rent, repairing, buying and selling must all be done for each building individually. When you own half a city that's a pain in the arse) and it's too easily exploited. I'm sure a lot of people simply bought a few buildings and then left their game idle for a few hours to accumulate some cash - undermining the effectiveness of your otherwise interesting end-game decisions. 

My brother just bought me a copy of black ops which should arrive at some point over the next few days so i'm pretty hyped for that. It's been a while since I shot anything in a videogame, so it's nice to mix things up a bit. 

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm on the last level of "THE END" which, ironically, is anything but. I'm having to negotiate a veritable course of circular saw blades being chased by an enraged phoetus doctor. Yep, super meat boy is one hell of a game. 

Masocore is something which I occasionally inflict upon myself and Super Meat Boy fell at just the right moment. One cannot survive on a diet of cake alone, and it has been adequate time since my escapades with VVVVVV. It's a hard game to review because there really isn't much to it. It's perilously difficult, with a range of sadistic levels and a cracking soundtrack, but once that basic formula has been established it's a simple exercise in rinse and repeat. The level design is not particularly complex, it is not a game of puzzles - more of reactions and muscle memory. 

No Caption Provided

I can't decide if this is good or bad.

I'm certainly having a lot of fun playing it, even if the Dark Worlds are driving me fucking insane. I think what really keeps me coming back is that I have several friends who also own the game and we are each slowly chipping away to see who can crack it first. I think i'm in the lead but Robster has hella more bandages than me. DaemonicGrim isn't really a threat as he primarily uses Gish. Good luck with that, buddy... 

It's getting to that time of year where the upcoming releases have been locked in and people start throwing out Game of The Year lists. 

This entire process has been ridiculously convoluted and there is a very simple solution. 

Having said that

The Indie game of the year yields much more heated and passionate discussion. With such quality titles as Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Shank, Amnesia, and not to mention fucking Minecraft, we have been spoilt for choice. Negotiations continue but Limbo looks to be the most promising. It might not be as balls-out entertaining as Super Meat Boy but it's design and polish has left a very lasting impression. I can't really argue Amnesia one way or the other, mainly because i'm too scared to keep playing it :'( 

Also, fuck minecraft

I was thinking about Fable 3

Having listened to yesterdays bombcast and I contemplated returning to Albion while I still have the chance - but I have no interest in hunting for keys or Demon Doors. Instead I found myself slightly frustrated that I was not given sufficient incentive to return to the locations that I had frequented throughout my playthrough. There are choices towards the end of the game which can radically warp the terrain of Albions many colourful districts, but having completed the game, there is very little reason to then go and see them. It's also a little disappointing that, having chosen to be a kind and benevolent ruler, most of my positive moral decisions did absolutely fuck all. For example there is a point when you are given the option of dumping excess city waste into a swamp occupied by left-wing eco-warriors. My decision to... you know... not do that left the place unchanged, a boost for my moral standing (and a hit to my wallet) but also left me feelingly slightly deprived - I would have liked to see the swamp all toxic and fucked up, that would have been a lot more interesting to see and experience. Instead it stayed exactly the same as it was and I continue to have no desire to return there ever again. 

No Caption Provided

There are also quite a lot of opportunities to pilfer money towards the end of the game, though why you would ever need to I have no idea. I had bought pretty much everything by the time I was halfway through the game, so most of the final decisions were pretty meaningless. I could simply opt for the good decision and take a minor financial hit every time. In retrospect I would have preferred the exclusion of buying and renting property in Albion. It's handled badly (raising and lowering rent, repairing, buying and selling must all be done for each building individually. When you own half a city that's a pain in the arse) and it's too easily exploited. I'm sure a lot of people simply bought a few buildings and then left their game idle for a few hours to accumulate some cash - undermining the effectiveness of your otherwise interesting end-game decisions. 

My brother just bought me a copy of black ops which should arrive at some point over the next few days so i'm pretty hyped for that. It's been a while since I shot anything in a videogame, so it's nice to mix things up a bit. 

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

Mass Effect 2 was incredible, but you seem to have forgotten that RDR also came out this year.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@MysteriousBob said:
" Mass Effect 2 was incredible, but you seem to have forgotten that RDR also came out this year. "
No, I remembered. Starcraft 2 has also been taken into consideration. But Jeff Gerstmeme has spoken.
ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ZeroCast

Mass Effect 2 should be in the top 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sweep said:
 phoetus  
Whoa, that's weird.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@InfamousBIG said:
" @Sweep said:
 phoetus  
Whoa, that's weird. "
...is it? Why is it weird?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sweep said:
" @InfamousBIG said:
" @Sweep said:
 phoetus  
Whoa, that's weird. "
...is it? Why is it weird? "
I'm used to it being spelled "fetus".  "Phoetus" just looks even more alien.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By I_smell

In the game they spell if "Fetus".

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@I_smell: His name may be Dr Fetus, but he is infact a doctor phoetus.  
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By FunExplosions
@InfamousBIG: @I_smell: @Sweep:  
The debate ends here. Also: 
No Caption Provided

Is Minecraft really up for IGOTY? It won't really be released until next year... at the earliest.
I think Mass Effect 2 will win most GOTYs.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@FunExplosions: According to Wiktionary, is an:

"Archaic spelling of foetus."

I get a lot of shit for my poor spelling but the grammar Nazis need to back the fuck off on this one.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FunExplosions
@Sweep: Well that's not very nice :(
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By jasta

@Sweep:

Did you find "The End" world in Super Meat Boy to be considerably easier than that of the previous 2 worlds? I had a brief look at the Dark world versions and swiftly backed the fuck out, but the light world levels just seemed a little less...demanding? I was expecting alot more of them considering it is the ending (sort of) of the game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

I remember how goddamn excited I was about beating level 6-5 on Super Meat Boy after probably 100 attempts.  Got into the boss battle against Dr. Fetus, and when I beat him in the race and got the cutscene afterwards, I threw my hands in the air with massive excitement. 

Then the REST of the level popped up... 

I kept saying to myself "I just went through 111 levels worth of bullshit...please, Team Meat, just give me this...just make it go away". 

In the end, I'll still load that up from time to time and work on levels that I haven't beaten and such.  Overall, though, I love Super Meat Boy...and fuck Team Meat right up their stupid asses for making me love that game. 

Also, aren't you British?  Just say "piss off and shut the door" whenever people give you shit about your spelling.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Rowr

Pinball fx 2 for goty.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By EVO
@jakob187 said:
" I remember how goddamn excited I was about beating level 6-5 on Super Meat Boy after probably 100 attempts.  Got into the boss battle against Dr. Fetus, and when I beat him in the race and got the cutscene afterwards, I threw my hands in the air with massive excitement.  Then the REST of the level popped up..."
Haha, I also threw my hands in the air when I thought I beat it. No game has ever made me do that.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Super Meat Boy and Minecraft are way better than Limbo.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#18  Edited By Little_Socrates
@Jasta: If you consistently play the game through as Meat Boy, yes, the light world run of The End is easier than Hell and Rapture. This is basically because you can change characters in the previous two worlds, making many of the levels waaaaay easier.
fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By fishmicmuffin

As Jeff put it so bluntly, nothing this year has beaten Mass Effect 2. That game was amazing. RDR was lots of fun as well, but my investment in the characters of the Mass Effect universe pushed it over the top for me. Seeing most of them again as well as getting to know some fresh faces was an experience that hasn't been topped this year (or in any recent years, to be honest). I can't wait for ME3.

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jasta
@Little_Socrates: I didint use any of the other characters at all, apart from one level to get a bandage I used Commander video.
FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By FrankWeidner
@Sweep said:
"  The level design is not particularly complex, it is not a game of puzzles - more of reactions and muscle memory."  

There's nothing wrong with the rest of your assessment, but the level design in SMB is its greatest asset. Although they may appear to be fairly typical platforming levels at first, every single level in the light world (and all but a handful in the dark world) can be beaten by immediately starting running and jumping when the level loads. Moving platforms will move at precisely the right moment, enemies and sawblades spawn in a pattern that can just barely be navigated, and the platforms themselves are so precisely placed that every level has a perfect, never stop or blink for a moment, run. If that's not complex level design, I don't know what is. 
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@GilbertMordinAndSullivan said:
" @Sweep said:
"  The level design is not particularly complex, it is not a game of puzzles - more of reactions and muscle memory."  

There's nothing wrong with the rest of your assessment, but the level design in SMB is its greatest asset. Although they may appear to be fairly typical platforming levels at first, every single level in the light world (and all but a handful in the dark world) can be beaten by immediately starting running and jumping when the level loads. Moving platforms will move at precisely the right moment, enemies and sawblades spawn in a pattern that can just barely be navigated, and the platforms themselves are so precisely placed that every level has a perfect, never stop or blink for a moment, run. If that's not complex level design, I don't know what is.  "
I guess, although it's a hard distinction to make. I think there's a difference between simply pacing a level so that it can be completed with a certain amount of momentum and the design of puzzles in games like, say, Braid or Limbo which require an amount of intelligence and active thought to complete. There are puzzles in those games which take time, and you feel genuinely smart having completed them. As you say, most levels in Super Meat Boy can be completed simply by running. 

@Jasta said:
"

@Sweep:

Did you find "The End" world in Super Meat Boy to be considerably easier than that of the previous 2 worlds? I had a brief look at the Dark world versions and swiftly backed the fuck out, but the light world levels just seemed a little less...demanding? I was expecting alot more of them considering it is the ending (sort of) of the game.

"
I completed most of the 3rd world whilst drunk, so it can't have been that fucking hard :D
FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FrankWeidner
@Sweep: There is obviously a difference between the mental dexterity required to beat a level of Braid and the hand-eye coordination to beat a level of SMB, but I'd argue that both can rightfully be called complex design. I truly believe that every single level of that game - and by extension, every single gap, enemy, and hazard placement - was done purposefully so a perfect, exhilarating run is possible. The gameplay in SMB is not complex, but the design is impeccable. 
DaemonicGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaemonicGrim

<3 Gish.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By OmegaPirate

Super meat boy is my religion, and gish is the shit!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Jasta said:
"

@Sweep:

"
They just test your longevity more than anything....the dark world versions look more intimidating but they really aren't much harder.
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jasta

@Sweep said:

@Unknown_Pleasures:

@Jasta said:
"

@Sweep:

"
I completed most of the 3rd world whilst drunk, so it can't have been that fucking hard :D "

I mean the Dark world versions of The End, I've done most of them up to midway through the 3rd world and they were fine, just those last 5 dark levels would have pushed me over the edge at 4am.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Daveyo520

302!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Daveyo520: Stop stalking my blogs!
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cookiemonster

This was a pretty good read, bro.

buwchbach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By buwchbach

I played ME 2 at the start of the summer and absolutely loved it, but now having played quite a few more games since I have found the gameplay to be quite forgettable, but maybe I just need to play it again. I don't know why, I was thinking it was GOTY 2010 when I played it, but not now.
Also, I would love to see Meat Boy on one of the GOTY lists, I love everything about that game.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Hamst3r

It's Feetass.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@Hamst3r said:
" It's Feetass. "

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

@FunExplosions: According to Wiktionary, is an:

"Archaic spelling of foetus."

I get a lot of shit for my poor spelling but the grammar Nazis need to back the fuck off on this one.

Don't know how I got here, but as long as I'm here, I wanted to let you know that you are still crazy. No one spells fetus like that!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6