Syndicate ... the next "make everything into a mindless FPS"

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

So a new Syndicate is upon us. A unique blend of top-down view tactics game and (light) business simulation game, made into generic FPS with "super innovative" bullet time. The gamer in me mourns and weeps. If make it into a FPS at least twist it. Nowadays with online there are so many possibilities. Like adding a fake stock market, generating values for bounties etc. *sigh*

temmink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By temmink

FPS could work if they really focus on the co-op aspect. Chances are they won't and it will be garbage, but there is a glimmer of hope there.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By niamahai

The only mindless thing about the new syndicate is the internet hate.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By cheesebob

3/4s for the people ranting about this haven't even played Syndicate thanks to its extreme age. Also Starbreeze are making this, they hadly have a track record of making "mindless FPSs" do they?

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wuddel

@Cheesebob said:

3/4s for the people ranting about this haven't even played Syndicate thanks to its extreme age. Also Starbreeze are making this, they hadly have a track record of making "mindless FPSs" do they?

Well, I played it. I still want to visit the world. But the fact remains. In the original, you were playing the corporation (or its CEO or something). That inherently gave you more possibilities than playing one of their frontline grunts. FPS and Syndicate can totally work. Just not without all the stuff that made the original great and expanding on it a online gaming world.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jetsetwillie

so an game that is from the first person perspective is just a 'mindless shooter' then is it. fuck the internet is gettimg more stupid by the day. i need a break from it i think.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster
@jetsetwillie said:

so an game that is from the first person perspective is just a 'mindless shooter' then is it. fuck the internet is gettimg more stupid by the day. i need a break from it i think.

The way you typed your post is ironic. I do agree with you about mindless shooters, though.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

@jetsetwillie: You can hardly talk about people being stupid when you can't even spell.

Nocall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nocall

I heard they're making Theme Hospital 2. 

You play a renegade doctor who must run around a town healing infected citizens with your medi-gun. The whole thing's played from a first-person perspective.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SomeJerk

As somebody who was around for Syndicate 1 and even bought the dang thing for both PC and Amiga (PC version suuuuuuucked).. I am okay with this as long as they keep the OG Syndicate everything. I'd rather seen the other classic Hired Guns get remade, four player co-op would make perfect sense for that one.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam

@SomeJerk said:

As somebody who was around for Syndicate 1 and even bought the dang thing for both PC and Amiga (PC version suuuuuuucked)..

I don't know how shitty your PC was back then but the PC version was clearly the best version of the game. The resolution on Amiga was 320x240 whereas on PC it was 640x480.

@SomeJerk said:

I am okay with this as long as they keep the OG Syndicate everything. I'd rather seen the other classic Hired Guns get remade, four player co-op would make perfect sense for that one.

Keep what? And Hired Guns a classic? Hired Guns was a pathetic attempt at making a 3D Jagged Alliance.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SomeJerk

@CptBedlam said:

@SomeJerk said:

As somebody who was around for Syndicate 1 and even bought the dang thing for both PC and Amiga (PC version suuuuuuucked)..

I don't know how shitty your PC was back then but the PC version was clearly the best version of the game. The resolution on Amiga was 320x240 whereas on PC it was 640x480.

@SomeJerk said:

I am okay with this as long as they keep the OG Syndicate everything. I'd rather seen the other classic Hired Guns get remade, four player co-op would make perfect sense for that one.

Keep what? And Hired Guns a classic? Hired Guns was a pathetic attempt at making a 3D Jagged Alliance.

No, Hired Guns was released a year before Jagged Alliance which was great but never captured what HG delivered: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr0tczfK4-A first person view, seeing and controlling all four at once, some amazing sights later in the game, not to mention the full 3D world and the sci-fi horror enemies. My PC didn't have any awesome soundcard in it so the music was bloops and bleeps while my 1987 Amiga 500 had the full on mod music enabled by default. Naturally I'm biased when I got all that in a too cheap box in 87.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By dagas

Just because it's an FPS doesn't mean it's mindless. I doubt it's going to be like CoD.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam

@SomeJerk said:

@CptBedlam said:

@SomeJerk said:

@SomeJerk said:

No, Hired Guns was released a year before Jagged Alliance which was great but never captured what HG delivered: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr0tczfK4-A first person view, seeing and controlling all four at once, some amazing sights later in the game, not to mention the full 3D world and the sci-fi horror enemies. My PC didn't have any awesome soundcard in it so the music was bloops and bleeps while my 1987 Amiga 500 had the full on mod music enabled by default. Naturally I'm biased when I got all that in a too cheap box in 87.

Okay, so the old Hired Guns was a different game altogether then. You can't even compare that to JA (JA is much more complex, let alone the infinitely better all-time classic JA2). The newer "Hired Guns" however was a lame 3D game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS3VlKMFeeo

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm

Bunch'a salty motherfuckers in here.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By EuanDewar

STAAARBREEEZE

They made a good Riddick game for crissake.

ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By ectoplasma

Syndicate is one of the games I have the fondest memories of, while, funnily, only ever playing the demo and never really knowing what the game was about. My cousin and me just specialized on blowing all the buildings up :). Since you seem to have an acquired taste I want to nudge you to this remake of xcom, if you dont know about it: http://www.xenonauts.com/

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Jeust

I wanted a sequel to Syndicate with the old gameplay. Like someone said the FPS market is overcrowded, and it looks hard for the game to distinguish itself there.  

I won't get this.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268

It's made by Starbreeze. I don't think it will be mindless, but I can understand people being disappointed after waiting for a sequel this long.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

From what I scanned of the article, you can hack people. Or something. Doesn't sound very mindless. In fact, I think it's more mindful to be first person. The most in-depth games are often first person. It's also Starbreeze so there is a decent chance it'll be awesome. CoD is a mindless shooter. Doesn't mean everything else is too.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By MEATBALL

Yes, the market is flooded with First Person Shooters, no that doesn't mean they're all mindless. It's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed in this as a direction for the franchise's revival, however let's not jump to conclusions about the quality of the game itself.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Chummy8
We can still hope for a team based tactical shooter.  A cyberpunk Ghost Recon if you will. 

At least make this new game at least a little like the original game. 
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DeF

hello prejudice, how are you today?

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Vinny_Says

Because Johhny Walmart wants to play a game like they made in 1993....

Don't be ridiculous, I'm sure they want to sell at least more than 20 copies of this game.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By mosdl

@SomeJerk said:

As somebody who was around for Syndicate 1 and even bought the dang thing for both PC and Amiga (PC version suuuuuuucked).. I am okay with this as long as they keep the OG Syndicate everything. I'd rather seen the other classic Hired Guns get remade, four player co-op would make perfect sense for that one.

PC version was fine for me.

I do hope they put it out on GOG.com though...

LisaFurioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LisaFurioso

How much of this is coming from the fact that you guys genuinely loved Syndicate compared to the fact that you don't like seeing dudes who watch UFC play videogames.