Take-Two suing Duke Nukem Forever developer.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Apparently Take-Two are suing 3D-Realms for not delivering, and are demanding to get the source-code.

This whole mess is madness (not Sparta), but maybe that means we will see DNF in som shape or form. But do we really want that?

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58642

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes, I think a lot of us want Duke Nukem Forever. Then again, some of us would find it fucking hilarious to see a game that's been in development this long get canned due to a bad economy.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By keyhunter

Cool. 3D realms might as well not exist now.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CL60

Why would we not want it? Just cause something takes a stupidly long time to make it requires us to not want it? I've been wanting this since it was announced.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Snipzor

That's some fucking weak move by Take-Two here. I get the business principle, but suing them?! That's retarded.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Cerza

I can understand where they (T2) are coming from. After all, if I had given someone all that money to produce a game and they never produced it I would be pissed too. Then again, by the time the five year mark came around in the dev cycle I would have been banging on their door wanting to know where the hell my game was and wouldn't have given them any more money or signed any more contracts with them. Honestly, no game at that point would have had me sueing then.

LazerLuger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By LazerLuger
Snipzor said:
That's some fucking weak move by Take-Two here. I get the business principle, but suing them?! That's retarded.
Take-Two gave them 12 million of the publishing rights, and then for them not to deliver the product after 9 years? I hope Take Two gets every penny back. Or even better, since 3D Realms can't pay, give them the Duke Nukem IP so they can send it over to 2k Games and release it.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#8  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I think 3D Realms needs to deliever some sort of return for Take-Two's investment.  I'm not a fan of lawsuits, but if that's how they have to get the business done, I can't say as I blame them.  If I had pumped ten years worth of investments for a handful of screenshots and a teaser trailer, I'd be royally pissed too.

And yes, I still want a new Duke Nukem game in some form or another.  I think the franchise is still viable, even today, and given the amount of time since Duke 3D, there should be plenty of movie and game material to scavenge to make it pretty damned funny.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By poser
@Snipzor: After getting fucked around for over a decade and investing millions of dollars into the project, suing them isn't "retarded" it's the only responsible thing to do.
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
@CL60:  There simply isn't any way it could live up to anything people thought about this game. Most of the hype was built, before there even was any playable build.
TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TheKidNixon

Wow, the drama continues! So apparently when Take Two was "offering" to buy the right of Duke Nukem off of 3D Realms, they were really just trying to take care of business without all those ugly legal fees. And seeing how 3D Realms have literally no money to pay back the investment Take Two made, the only thing they have left is the IP and source code, for Take Two to farm out.

Fantastic.

thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thiago
Snipzor said:

How old are you?
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Kazona

I don't think I've ever said this when lawsuits like these happen, but I hope that Take-Two wins this one.

Dyergram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dyergram

This could lead to the game getting finished or it could just mean the whole saga just gets dragged out even longer. I mean that silcon knights lawsuit has been going on ages what i dont understand is didnt take two just release a statement saying they wernt funding dnf just publishing it if it was ever finsihed...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60
thiago said:
Snipzor said: That's some fucking weak move by Take-Two here. I get the business principle, but suing them?! That's retarded. ... [more]
How old are you thiago, that's the real question, you sound like you're 11-13 max with all your bitching.
thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thiago
CL60 said:
thiago said: Snipzor said: That's some fucking weak move by Take-Two here. I get the business principle, but suing them?! ... [more]

Old enough to understand how the world works. Poeple don't just hand-out money like that. Any company or person would do the same if they were in this situation, because it is the right thing to do, to sue their asses.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Al3xand3r

Can't they just get away with it simply by filing for bankruptcy? The company's dead anyway, yeah? Didn't they do so already?

Dyergram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dyergram

which is why they are suing Apogee.(the parent company)