The cat is my only family and I punched it in the face.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Edited By Video_Game_King
The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.
The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.
No Caption Provided

Oh, if ever there was a game that could sum up what Final Fantasy has become, this would probably be it. It's a poetic epic that's needlessly pretentious and a bit hard to follow. And yet there's some type of charm here. No, not the stupid moments like you see above, even if there are a lot of them, but things like the characters and the more emotional moments. Underneath Lightning getting naked for absolutely no reason within the story is itself a good story. (Spoilers in that link, obviously.) Oh, and something about the battle system being all kinds of fun and junk.

But who gives a crap about that? There's story to be engrossed in, damn it! A sequel story, if I may say so myself. A sequel to a game that didn't demand a sequel. How did Square fix this? Long story short: a deus ex machina that fucks over the timeline so badly that the walking neurosis in the above picture, Serah Farron, has to team up with future-man Noel Kreiss to f-WAIT A MINUTE. Serah? Noel? You mean Sarah and Noah, Square? Really stretching the imagination with these names, huh? I kid, of course; the characters are the best part of the game. In fact, let's look at the two characters I just mentioned. Serah lost her sister to some time travel bullshit, but nobody believes a word she says. While she's right about the time travel thing, it's still very easy to feel bad about her situation and that she's simply suffering from severe PTSD. I so liked this characterization that whenever the game gave me a Quick Time Event to contribute to her character, I immediately chose the dumbest, most schizophrenic options, making her solve problems with song and yelling. Obviously, I loved every second of it.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Chickenhead Thend wgah'nagl fhtagn.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Chickenhead Thend wgah'nagl fhtagn.

What about Noel, though? Well, he jumps around between optimist and cynic, and his "last man of the future" backstory makes no fucking sense (amazing that people speak perfect English 700 years in the future), but you know what? I still like his character. He's put into a tough situation (that I can't talk about, lest I spoil a huge portion of the game) and, again, the game does a good job of making you relate to him emotionally. Hell, even the villain gets some sympathy outside his "Final Fantasy" moments. Granted, you also get some terrifying characters, like the Lovecraftian comic relief simply known as "Mog" or Chocolina (basically Chickenehad with titties), but you take what you get with this game. I'd have mentioned how Snow goes through the same character arc here as he did in FF13, but since the game doesn't mention it, I won't, either.

Why the glum attitude at the end of that paragraph? Well, because I have to deal with a lot of heavy Final Fantasy baggage. For instance, an utter shitload of cutscenes. So many, in fact, that I'm certain the battle system exists just so you don't think you bought Time Gal by mistake. And all of this is used to tell a story that's pretty far up its own ass. Not as far as Final Fantasy XII, but it's still up there. A lot of the time, I had no idea what was going on. Something about Lightning being trapped inside the crystal and reincarnation and blah blah blah? I know I shouldn't be using examples from the beginning of the game, but something like this sure is confusing. What's Valhalla? Who are these people? Why are they flying all over the place? Why did Noel just drop into the battle for all of five seconds? It gets so bad at points that an Alone in the Dark-esque recap is necessary at the start of each game. (The difference here, of course, is that Final Fantasy XIII-2 isn't complete shit.) Even that fails to clarify things, though, since the non-linear nature of the game makes it really hard to recap events in a way that makes any sense.

Noel, WHAT THE HELL DID WE DO TO THE FUTURE!?
Noel, WHAT THE HELL DID WE DO TO THE FUTURE!?

Don't misunderstand me, though; I still think the story is good. I mean, time travel's there for a reason. It's there to tell you that even the tiniest of actions, like yelling at Hope from the future, can have the largest of effects on the world, and it does a good job of demonstrating that. Traveling through all those alternate histories gives you a clear image of how humanity can screw things up or...whatever the opposite of that would be. (Clearly, I wouldn't know.) Yea, the sci-fi elements can cheapen the more emotional moments (you don't have to deal with Lightning's death, because she's in the not-future fighting Chaos Man!), but it still shines through in the end. Imagine Radiant Historia if the protagonist had post traumatic stress disorder instead of a reverse god complex. All I'm saying is that you should be aware of what you're getting into before you play this game.

Game? Fuck. I forgot this was a game and not a series of intense action scenes against tomato monsters. Where do I even start? The story takes place over 700 years, and the gameplay really backs this up. I don't mean in terms of time travel, although that does get some decent focus. There are enough side quests and activities to keep you bouncing open-endedly across the timeline, reliving certain events just to see if you can break it all. But that's not what I was talking about. What I meant was that there are a billion side-activities in the game at any given time. Gambling in cat land? Sure, why not? Or how about you take a break from that for some Moogle tossing? (For some reason, that sounds oddly racist.) That boring now? Why not go to some futuristic shithole to take a quiz on what Serah got for her 18th birthday and a Hey You, Pikachu reference? Of course, a lot of these side elements have some level of entertainment value to them, but it can certainly be overwhelming to have a new gameplay concept jammed in your face every five seconds.

How did a Sin & Punishment/Persona 3 character sneak into this game?
How did a Sin & Punishment/Persona 3 character sneak into this game?

This is the part of the blog where I switch over to the battle system, since that's about the only consistent gameplay element to be found here. It's pretty much the same as the Active Time Battle in its predecessor, but with a few key improvements. First of all, YOU CAN CHANGE CHARACTERS MID-BATTLE NOW. No longer will you die a cheap death because the character who died happened to be the one you were controlling at that time. Granted, switching is a menu option, unlike how I described it would be in my FF13 blog, but whatever. You'll take what you can get. Change number two, though, slightly compromises this: monsters! You can't really control them outside very specific Quick Time Events, but I'm willing to live with that. After all, you can dress them up all pretty like. For example, I gave my Golden Chocobo a guitar, which goes a long way toward explaining this monstrosity. On a more serious note, though, they do add a neat collecting element to battles. Every one's different, so it's encouraged to mix and match to see what works best.

Encouraged. Not mandatory. That's the problem I have with an otherwise cool battle system: the apathy. It's really easy to fall into a rhythm, just mashing the A button until a battle ends. Why bother swapping out paradigms and monsters for strategic purposes? The auto option is all I need. Fortunately, though, this isn't the entirety of Final Fantasy XIII-2. Sometimes, you get what I just described, and sometimes, the game bends you over so it can rip off your ass and serve it to you on a silver platter. I blame the time jumping for this. There's no set way to go through the game, so the difficulty bounces all over the place. But as I implied before, I like it higher up. This is when you have to pay attention, switching out paradigms on the fly so you don't end up in the aforementioned scenario. Of course, this, too, has its downside. The final final boss (there are, like, four of the fuckers) is said to take ten minutes to beat, and I overshot that by almost an hour. I wasn't even terribly underleveled; I had decent monsters and had unlocked all the abilities in all the classes. You can only stretch a sense of accomplishment so thin, you guys. Unless, of course, the whole point behind this was to make the battle system as cinematic and action-y as the rest of the game is. I can get behind that. I'll do so with reservations, but I'll still do it.

Review Synopsis

• I have to say that there's a great story to be found in Final Fantasy XIII-2. What might turn you off is that you have to find it.
  • So many gameplay elements, so little time. (Disregarding time travel, of course.)
  • The core battle systems can be cool, though. Can.
  • And in the course of tradition, allow me to rattle off what I couldn't fit in elsewhere: it's probably racist that the black guy from the last game gets shoved aside until the absolute end; the music's soft, subtle, and overall pretty good; the story does a good job of bringing newer players up to speed (most of the time); the ending kinda sucks, especially with the false moral choice; the bosses make no sense; Academia will always be horrible; the Crystarium's been streamlined; and the gameplay's suited more toward short bursts, even if the story clearly isn't. Eh.

I've done the mathematicals, and have mathed this as the exact polar opposite of modern Final Fantasy.

No Caption Provided

Wow, that is not the direction I intended this game to take. I realize that I'm gonna need to clarify, and elucidate I shall. As you will recall or find out by scrolling back up, the first game in this blog is Final Fantasy XIII-2, a dumb but still very appealing button-mashing RPG. I wanted this game to be as opposite to that as possible: gritty, realistic, and not an RPG. Unfortunately, I got the exact opposite of the exact opposite of Final Fantasy XIII-2: Iron Commando: Iron Commando. (No, seriously, that's what the subtitle translates to.) It's just as button-mashy and disconnected from reality as Final Fantasy XIII-2 was. The only difference, then, is that Iron Commando isn't terribly good.

I mean, things started off reasonably enough. An evil crime syndicate has stolen a meteor from space, presumably for nefarious money purposes, and it's up to you, Chang Li (or other guy) to set things right....in English, confusing enough. Surprisingly good, if not perfect, English, too. Yea, the intro, title, and end are the Japanese bread in this video game sandwich, but all the middle is English fish and chips and whatever else this metaphor has morphed into. Now do you see how quickly this got off track? That's the Iron Commando experience. One minute, you're chasing criminals via a shitty motorcycle sequence; the next, you're fighting off Mayan warriors all named Quetzalcoatl. (Or they would be if the game had enough room for that.) It's almost fun trying to guess what incredibly insane direction the story's gonna take next. I say "almost" because I'm not really sure if the game knows what it's doing. It's the video game equivalent of dementia: funny if I describe it to you, but tragic to experience.

Was this planned for an American release at some point? To my knowledge, this was a Japan-only joint.
Was this planned for an American release at some point? To my knowledge, this was a Japan-only joint.

The tragic part comes in when you're beating up innocent animals. For no discernible reason, the hero just beats the hell out of any animal that comes his way. They're not aligned with the enemy; the dogs are most likely stray, and what evil crime syndicate would sick snakes upon their foes? I'm quite aware that the snake is packing heat, but how's a snake supposed to fire a gun in the first place? It couldn't do anything with that gun, and yet I still punched it to death. (Or, rather, I lobbed grenades at the fuckers, since I'm not manly enough to punch a snake out of thin air.) I know it's a minor thing to complain about, especially given what I'm about to say after this, but it still left a bad taste in my mouth to beat the shit out of junkyard dogs.

Fortunately, most of the games isn't punching dogs in their smug goddamn faces. Most of the time, you get to fight regular criminal people (who can take so many bullets you'd think they're all FPS protagonists), and it's mildly fun. If I haven't told you by now, it's just regular beat-em-up fare, the only real difference being the variety of weapons and firearms for shooting down snakes super criminals. I'd say they add some strategy to the experience, but they do. Huh? Turns out you have to pay attention to the various ranges and rates of fire on these things if you want get through the game. Well appreciated, but who gives a shit about strategy? I just want to lose myself in the rhythm of beating guys up, something Iron Commando does particularly well. You even get a few terrible vehicle sections over th-

And here we run into the game's major problem: crap controls. As much fun as it is to switch up which enemy you're fighting, it's incredibly easy to get stuck between two or four of the fuckers and lose life at an obscenely fast rate. Ranged weapons certainly don't help this situation. What's that? That's not a control issue? Well, I could always use a back-kick button, but I see your point, and refute it with weapon use. Punching somebody and throwing a knife at somebody both occupy the same button, so sometimes, the game just guesses whether you want to punch the guy in front of you or shoot the guy immediately behind him. And don't get me started on those driving sections I mentioned earlier. Your range of attack is pitiful, and jumping turns you into a sitting duck. A duck sitting in the air, granted, but it makes as much sense as jumping cars. All of this adds up to a game that's difficult for all the wrong reasons. Continuing the tradition of being sort-of-the-opposite of Final Fantasy XIII-2, I'll only barely not recommend this. Also, the cat is now dead to me.

Review Synopsis

• I'm sure there's an allegory for war in punching a snake because it was holding a riffle it could never use in the first place.
  • Punching things a bunch is fun enough...
  • ...until the controls get in the way, that is.
Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Winternet

How could a snake hold a riffle?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

yeah FF13-2! Does 13-2's ending make you more or less interested for lightning returns?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

yeah FF13-2! Does 13-2's ending make you more or less interested for lightning returns?

It's been a while, but less? I'm generally not a fan of cliffhangers (they are very hard to pull off right, and a lot of people don't), and I'm even less a fan when they're achieved by killing off characters I liked.

Also, isn't Lightning Returns supposed to be a prequel or interquel or some other weird thing?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Animasta

no no 13-3 (much easier than saying lightning returns) is supposed to be the 13 days before the world ends for good (after caius did his whole time crash thing) and for some reason there are new continents and shit?

that game's premise confuses me almost as much as SMTIV does.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

That's what happens when you rip open the time stream to make more money. (Does that apply to SMT4, too?)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@animasta said:

no no 13-3 (much easier than saying lightning returns) is supposed to be the 13 days before the world ends for good (after caius did his whole time crash thing) and for some reason there are new continents and shit?

Never did get around to buying that Lightning DLC for XIII-2 which apparently was more single player stuff? Wondering if that explains the setup for the next game? Especially considering how after Noel and Serah kill Caius you clearly see Lightning on the throne of Etro in what looks to be either dead or crystal stasis after everything goes to shit.

Hmm... I'm almost tempted to dive through both XIII games again to setup for XIII-3

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Petiew

You're right about XIII-2 being easy, that's the major gripe I had with the story and even the hunt sidequests. The DLC colliseum battles are crazy though, I never defeated the last two bosses. It'd be good if they hadn't relegated a ton of stories to a seperate novel and focussed on them in game instead.

Also, if Lightning doesn't get naked how is she going to change to her sick valkyrie battle armour?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: all that DLC really shows is that Lightning sits on the throne (after killing Caius a bunch of times) and she awakens 13 days before the end of the world or whatever.

@animasta said:

That's what happens when you rip open the time stream to make more money. (Does that apply to SMT4, too?)

I'm pretty sure? I don't know.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew said:

Also, if Lightning doesn't get naked how is she going to change to her sick valkyrie battle armour?

Maybe just have her change off screen instead of having her get naked? And why did she get that battle armor? They never really say anything about it, like I'm the idiot for even asking.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan

Surprised to hear you had trouble with the final boss, but I spent a bunch of time leveling my characters to fight the bonus bosses on the plains. By the time I fought the main story boss I was desperately auto-destroying him while keeping my eye on the clock so that I could get the game back to the video store to not pay late fees on my rental.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: She's Etro's knight so she needs knightly gear. This one is pretty straightforward, I'd say Serah's magical clothes were the pointless ones. Plus it'd kind of ruin the scene if it went black, there was rustling and clinking and then Lightning was wearing a different outfit. It's like a magical girl transformation.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king said:

It's pretty much the same as the Active Time Battle in its predecessor, but with a few key improvements. First of all, YOU CAN CHANGE CHARACTERS MID-BATTLE NOW. No longer will you die a cheap death because the character who died happened to be the one you were controlling at that time.

This is honestly almost enough to make me get this game. I don't have love for much from 13, but for some reason felt compelled to try 13-2, and my intense dislike for the battle system from 13 kept me from actually doing it. Not being able to control your entire party in an essentially turn-based game really bugs me.

Plus I'm gonna have a TON of time to kill this summer it's pretty cheap now.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew said:

@video_game_king: She's Etro's knight so she needs knightly gear.

Because otherwise, she'd be completely helpless in combat.

I'd say Serah's magical clothes were the pointless ones.

This I really don't remember. Did it happen near the end, when Vanille and Fang popped in for the gaming equivalent of this?

Then get Persona 3, because this game is 20ish hours (at least if you don't do a lot with sidequests).

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Aw, man! This is just another typical blog about video games. I was hoping against hope it was a real story...

Fuck. I'll read this later. I'm too disappointed to read it now.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then get Persona 3, because this game is 20ish hours (at least if you don't do a lot with sidequests).

I actually already have Persona 3 and have been sitting at about January for a couple of months, just haven't had the drive to actually beat it. I've got a ton of stuff from PS+ to add to that though, like Sleeping Dogs, and was planning on actually getting deep in White Knight Chronicles II with my brother, so a 20-ish hour JRPG might be good. Maybe I won't get totally exhausted by it like I have the last two Tales Of games that I played.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyromagnestir:

Don't worry. I am still hard at work on the screenplay to Catpunch.

I was going to spend today writing my Ghoul Patrol blog, but it seems Paint.NET has presented me with a more pressing matter.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not disappoint.
I do not disappoint.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#18 chaser324  Moderator
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#19  Edited By pyromagnestir
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

There are no cats on the moon!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

There are no cats on the moon!

Says who?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Daveyo520
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daveyo520:

And what do they know of the Lunarian Kingdoms or their cultures?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#24  Edited By Slag

@video_game_king

Great Story? Did we see the same story in 13-2?

I thought 13-2's story was weak sauce and horribly underdeveloped, easily the worst Final Fantasy story since X-2 or maybe even V. I thought Serah's VA did an excellent job that covered up a ton of flaws, but god d@mn was the plot and character motivations completely random.

I platinumed the game so I'm pretty sure I saw it all too...

As you pointed out Sazh was criminally underused, he was easilyu the most interesting Final Fantasy character in years, but it was clear to me that after Chapter 9 of FF 13 Square didn't know where to take his story.

Hope was probably the only returning pc from 13 that had any sort of reasonable story. Lightning's was WTF that still stretches the tests of even FF plausibility even with the background knowledge from the compendium. Snow's was like a bad fanfic. Fang and Vanille were a badly shoehorned cameo.

The Post game was pretty dang great though. I dug the music too, well except for the weird death metal interludes (the wild Chocobo song and one of the boss fights).

So you wanna ride this Chocobo...

Never did get around to buying that Lightning DLC for XIII-2 which apparently was more single player stuff? Wondering if that explains the setup for the next game?

not worth it dude, don't buy it unless you are a super fan. I used my free PSN store money on it. It adds a little detail about one key moment in 13-2 that made no sense. but nothing really about 13-3

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Caius, but that's really about it. I didn't have any issues with the motivations.

They didn't really show up too much, though, from what I remember. Lightning was a driving force that only came in at the end, really, and Snow only had that one subplot that retreaded old ground ("Damn it! I'm brash and put the people I love in extreme danger!").

@demoskinos said:

Never did get around to buying that Lightning DLC for XIII-2 which apparently was more single player stuff? Wondering if that explains the setup for the next game?

worth it dude...buy it

I agree.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Ravenlight

Why WHY do I always click on the video?

I do not disappoint.
I do not disappoint.

Aaaand there's the new background for my phone.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why WHY do I always click on the video?

Because you know there will come a day when you don't regret it?

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By bonbolapti

There's nothing redeeming or great or even mentionable about FFXIII-2, I'm sorry but the playing of that game shouldn't even be encouraged. It's for the greater good of people, and even that company.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king:

different strokes for different folks I guess. I just don't like all the random mythos that comes out of nowhere that you basically have to read the compendiums to understand.

The randomness of some of the events removes the weight from them for me. And since the world's rules per say are really understandable after the fact, things like Lightning so readily accepting her role in defending Valhalla seem out of character when they happen.

not trying to be overly negative on the game, I really enjoyed it (I'd give a solid 4/5 on Giant Bomb's scale). It just was the first Final Fantasy game I can ever remember where I tried to avoid the story bits which is what usually drives me to play them in the first place.

re: the DLC- my main complaint with it is the price to content ratio. Of the various DLC you can get with the game Lightning's Requiem is easily the best and has the most interesting story content, but I smashed through the sucker in maybe 40 minutes. And I found the extra story detail not be enough to justify the price imo.

again difference of opinion I guess.

p.s. That Catpunch poster is pretty rad.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: @bonbolapti:

Keep in mind that I liked the first FF13 and find that "THERE ARE TUTORIALS UP TO CHAPTER 11!!!" (or whenever it is you go to Pulse) exaggerated, out-of-context bullshit. (That last part may not even be relevant, but I still wanted to get it out there.)

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@video_game_king: That's what bothers me, XIII was actually pretty good for what they wanted to convey, but I feel like they really dropped the Ball on everything in the sequel. It became something that was too much up it's own ass and shallow.

If Noel was by himself, it would have been one step to a way better game, me thinks.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Slag

@video_game_king: I liked FF13 as well. I'd also give that one a 4/5 for completely different reasons than 13-2.

Despite the weirdness at times in that game I thought they did a much better job a establishing the world in 13 than they did 13-2. With the exception of a few anime randomness, it felt the world had consistent rules even if I didn't understand them until reading the compendium (or whatever it was called). I didn't get that vibe from 13-2, it was deus ex machina after deus ex machina after deus ex machina in the plot.

IMO 13 I felt got the story side right, 13-2 got the gameplay side mostly right (and did a good job characterizing Noel and Serah even if the plot was wack). I'm hoping but not expecting 13-3 to get both parts right.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say that both Noel and Serah were strong enough protagonists to share the spotlight. Have I mentioned that despite her craziness, I like Serah quite a bit?

Well....yea. 13 actually had to establish some type of world, whereas 13-2 was largely working within predefined parameters. I'd say that they feel like completely different worlds, but that's par for the course when you're jumping several hundred years into the future (wasn't it 700 years they had before everything went to shit?).

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By Bocam

While 13-2 was a much better game than 13, I wouldn't call it good. And the only thing I remember from 13-2's story is NTR and fighting a giant tomato monster.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say that both Noel and Serah were strong enough protagonists to share the spotlight. Have I mentioned that despite her craziness, I like Serah quite a bit?

Well....yea. 13 actually had to establish some type of world, whereas 13-2 was largely working within predefined parameters. I'd say that they feel like completely different worlds, but that's par for the course when you're jumping several hundred years into the future (wasn't it 700 years they had before everything went to shit?).

I'm with VGK on this. Serah actually had the most depth to her character. She and her VA really make the game go. Whether you like her character or not is a different question.

Noel when you really look at him is pretty vanilla by himself. He's got an almost "too perfect boyfriend" type feel to him imo.

Which isn't to see he was bad as a he serves a good balance to Serah's flightiness and gave her somebody to talk to other than Mog, I just don't think a game starring him solo would be that interesting (unless you added a lot more to his backstory). Or even paired with somebody else who doesn't mesh as well with him.

I will say his character looks to be going through some interesting changes for 13-3, so that might be different there.

btw did anyone else wonder where he got such nice clothes in the apocalyptic future?

re: 700 years - yes I believe that's when it went kerflooey. Or right depending on your opinion.

re: world building - I actually thought 13-2 had an opportunity to do it all over again. When I played 13 I felt like it was a deliberate decision to leave Pulse largely unexplored/unexplained in 13 thinking of the trilogy. I thought that was what t13-2 game was going to be about.

but whatever, opinions man.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

@slag:

To be fair, a lot of his character development comes late in the game, but it's still good character development, and didn't the previous game teach us to be patient beyond belief?

I spent more time wondering which version of Academia was the worse version and why Noel was speaking the same language as Serah (languages have a tendency to change a shitton over time).

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag:

To be fair, a lot of his character development comes late in the game, but it's still good character development, and didn't the previous game teach us to be patient beyond belief?

I spent more time wondering which version of Academia was the worse version and why Noel was speaking the same language as Serah (languages have a tendency to change a shitton over time).

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Slag

@video_game_king:

It did and it's decent.

I'm just saying that his persona is kinda bland for a solo protagonist. He's perfectly fine as part of a duo. He acts as a good grounded foil to Serah's whimsy.

And to be fair the Noel of 13-3 might be more capable of carrying a game by himself after the character development has between 13-2 and 13-3. Dunno haven't played it yet obviously.

Yeah I thought the same thing about his language, You're absolutely 700 years is an eternity in language evolution,but I figured maybe his magic future clothes translated for him. :)

re: Academia

That actually was my favorite set piece in the game since at least it was new. That being said I didn't like the floating puzzle block version much. Those kinds of levels are much more fun in the bird's eye perspective, at least for me.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Video_Game_King

@slag:

I forgot about block-y Academia, but I disliked that horse boss much more. It was kind of difficult, and it really didn't do anything within the story. They just appear and disappear for a brief moment.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Slag

@video_game_king:

I grew to dislike it when going after a couple achievements . Going through once is fine. 3-4 times? ugh.

What level-ish were you when you hit that horse boss? I smoked him but I think I was pretty overleveled with some strong recruited monsters since I had done most of all the available side contents beforehand.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#42  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Finally, the truth about Chocolina emerges. Been waiting for this one for a while.

No-one can seem to believe that Chocolina and the baby chocobo that lives in Sazh's hair are one and the same until I direct them to notes about FFXIII-2's DLC that explain what happened with that character. XIII-2 is a very strange game and for that reason alone I'm anticipating Lightning Returns just to see how much weirder it can get. I don't particularly care for its central character, as I can get Cloud Strife with boobs by typing "Rule 63 FF7" into GIS and immediately regretting it, but I'm starting to wonder if someone isn't putting something in Toriyama's coffee. Perhaps the same substance that begat FFVIII's plot.

I sort of wonder why more games like Iron Commando aren't fan translated. The groups all seem to flock towards the RPGs because they're the most "hidden gemmy" but a daft brawler with about a dozen lines of Japanese seems like it would be easy to punch out over a weekend, even if it has the unfortunate quality of not exactly being anticipated by anyone. I mostly just want someone to translate that Fire Pro Wrestling SFC game that Suda51 wrote, where the champion loses everyone he cares about and then shoots himself, and I'm sure there's some equally crazy crap out there that was never localized due to their lack of sanity.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento said:

No-one can seem to believe that Chocolina and the baby chocobo that lives in Sazh's hair are one and the same until I direct them to notes about FFXIII-2's DLC that explain what happened with that character

Can you blame them? Just look at that monstrosity and tell me it was once a baby. (Plus I haven't touched the DLC at all.)

I sort of wonder why more games like Iron Commando aren't fan translated.

Well, in this case, it's because most of it was already in English. Kind of the reason why there aren't any fan translations of Terranigma (although in that game's case, it could use it).

The groups all seem to flock towards the RPGs because they're the most "hidden gemmy" but a daft brawler with about a dozen lines of Japanese seems like it would be easy to punch out over a weekend, even if it has the unfortunate quality of not exactly being anticipated by anyone.

I imagine there are a few things going on here:

• There's a lot more text to translate, so it's a greater challenge for the translators.
  • There may be some strange technical problems with the smaller games that keep things from working. Policenauts comes to mind; the script was fully translated kinda quickly, but the community sat on it for a while because actually inserting it was balls hard.
  • RPGs are more numerous, because Japan loves them some RPGs.

Personally, I'm just waiting on Moon: Remix RPG Adventure to get a translation. Hell, I'd be OK with the script (IE the programming script with all the translated material inserted) being posted somewhere, like what happened with Tear Ring Saga.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By ItBeStefYo

@video_game_king: I don't get how you can do a write up for FFXII-2 while also playing and taking a bunch of screenies;) of Persona 3!

I agree that it's a good game, I wish I hadn't played it though. It's horribly depressing unlike XIII, which I loved. Also I am on good terms with the crazy chocobo.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King

@video_game_king: I don't get how you can do a write up for FFXII-2 while also playing and taking a bunch of screenies;) of Persona 3!

Because I wrote this blog a while ago. (Then again, I did finish a blog on The Walking Dead recently, and I am aiming toward a BioShock Infinite blog.)

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JZ

You should play something good. BOOM

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Video_Game_King

@jz said:

You should play something good. BOOM

I did, am, and will.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I do not disappoint.
I do not disappoint.

I came for because of the title, but stayed for this.