The end of Videogames on Youtube is upon us (2014)

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@tycobb said:

Here's an idea... how about people put videos up for fun and not for money? You know, like it used to be. Get a job! Unemployment is down to 7%. People are hiring again. http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

7% is a misconception. They only factor in the people who are currently collecting unemployment. If your benefits have expired or you never had any to begin with, you don't get added to the unemployment percentage. So the actual unemployment rate is much higher than 7%.

Avatar image for videogameguy500
Videogameguy500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@tycobb said:

Here's an idea... how about people put videos up for fun and not for money? You know, like it used to be. Get a job! Unemployment is down to 7%. People are hiring again. http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

7% is a misconception. They only factor in the people who are currently collecting unemployment. If your benefits have expired or you never had any to begin with, you don't get added to the unemployment percentage. So the actual unemployment rate is much higher than 7%.

the people in this thread saying 'get a real job' are pretty sad. Making money online is a real job, and it comes with the perks of being self employed and not sitting in a cubicle from 9am to 5pm 5 days a week

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By Darji

Stop believing everything you read on NeoGAF.

It is a fact and it is happening right now....

Also there are still publishers out that do not mind and even encourage you to do these lets plays and game videos. One example is Codemastesr/Deep Silver for example. Also Campcom is trying to communicate with YouTubers and they shoudl contact Capcom Unity if they get such a claim. It is happening and it is happening fast.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

It's pretty amazing that people can make money being entertaining (yeah, folks like PewDiepie are clearly entertaining to somebody) is pretty awesome, and the fact that you could theoretically make a comfortable life doing it is insane and awesome. And if I thought that I could be even remotely that entertaining and successful, I would be all up on it. Wouldn't you?

preaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty amazing that people can make money being entertaining (yeah, folks like PewDiepie are clearly entertaining to somebody) is pretty awesome, and the fact that you could theoretically make a comfortable life doing it is insane and awesome. And if I thought that I could be even remotely that entertaining and successful, I would be all up on it. Wouldn't you?

It is an amazing concept. But you also have to consider YouTube is still a huge financial drain to Google (about -1 million a day). Google is betting long on YouTube being profitable, but right now it is certainly not. I wouldn't be surprised to see many broader changes in attempt to reach that goal. And I think you're going to see a lot of situations like this where a lot of people feel upset and even entitled.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#256  Edited By Video_Game_King

@darji said:

It is happening right now with thousands and thousands of videos getting flagged. Goodbye gaming on YouTube it was a fun ride.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732355

This is one of the highlights^^

No Caption Provided

To be fair, they're getting DarkSydePhil off YouTube. That deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#258 chaser324  Moderator

Actually, there's some debate about the profitability of Youtube. Google doesn't have to separate out the revenue/profits from Youtube in its financial reports, so it's hard to judge, but some analysts out there think Youtube turned the corner around 2012 into finally being profitable. Not only has viewership boomed in the past few years, but the percentage of top videos with advertising has also grown a ton.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By EVO

@freshbandito said:

And still noone here gives a good reason as to why developers shouldn't be embracing this huge free market of an audience

It's free marketing, but Let's Play videos can do just as much harm as good. Not to mention the ad revenue probably outweighs the potential sales.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By YOU_DIED
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@you_died:

Didn't the game teach you that shit in the tutorial? (Does Black Mesa even have the tutorial?)

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hold on. Doesn't Youtube/Google receive the lion's share of the ad revenue generated by these videos?

Why would they support this policy? Why would they enforce this policy?

I guess they're just another little internet company toiling beneath the shadow of giants like EA, Capcom and THQ?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@bribo said:

Hold on. Doesn't Youtube/Google receive the lion's share of the ad revenue generated by these videos?

Why would they support this policy? Why would they enforce this policy?

I guess they're just another little internet company toiling beneath the shadow of giants like EA, Capcom and THQ?

Google

RevenueUS$ 50.18 billion (2012)[4]
Operating incomeUS$ 12.76 billion (2012)[4]
ProfitUS$ 10.74 billion (2012)[4]
Total assetsUS$ 93.80 billion (2012)[4]
Total equityUS$ 71.72 billion (2012)[4]

EA

RevenueUS$4.143 billion (2012)[1]
Operating incomeUS$35.00 million (2012)[1]
Net incomeUS$76.00 million (2012)[1]
Total assetsUS$5.491 billion (2012)[1]
Total equityUS$2.458 billion (2012)[1]

They aren't even in the same universe in comparability.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@you_died said:

@video_game_king said:

@darji said:

It is happening right now with thousands and thousands of videos getting flagged. Goodbye gaming on YouTube it was a fun ride.

No Caption Provided

To be fair, they're getting DarkSydePhil off YouTube. That deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.

Loading Video...

@video_game_king

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW IM NOT EVEN DOING ANYTHING AND MY AD REVENUE IS DISAPPEARING ON ITS OWN

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like more and more publishers already reacting. Ubisoft also issued an statement and want to now who get flagged to reinstated them. In the meantime it is getting crazy even Sound effects like Rain getting ID claimed right now.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@you_died:

Didn't the game teach you that shit in the tutorial? (Does Black Mesa even have the tutorial?)

As if DSP pays attention to the tutorials. If the game doesn't have a big arrow and constant pop ups of where to go or what to do, the game is bugged and the developers are stupid and didn't test the game.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Boogie sums it up pretty good here.

Loading Video...

YouTube is committing revenue suicide. As if the Google+ integration a month or two ago wasn't bad enough, this will finally be the thing that drives people over to other video services. Google is going to regret this. Big time.

I hope these guys have their Twitch accounts ready...

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By stonyman65

@darji said:

Looks like more and more publishers already reacting. Ubisoft also issued an statement and want to now who get flagged to reinstated them. In the meantime it is getting crazy even Sound effects like Rain getting ID claimed right now.

It's good to know the big devs and publishers are standing up for the YouTube folks. If anyone can get Google to stop this copyright bullshit its them.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh.

This is certainly a thing, then. Luckily, most of my YT videos are already content matched from years back. Good times. Good friends.

No Caption Provided
Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Darji

This is a summary which is quite nice

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/11/99-of-youtube-gaming-channels-will-die-soon-copyright-strike-barrage-discussed/

But basically it is this:

“If you’re managed, you’re fine and can monetize anything you want. If you’re affiliate, your’re royally fucked and you might as well just quit YouTube.

“Summary: 99% of YouTube gaming channels will die soon.”

Oh and if you think this pedie guy or what is he called is involved. No he is not. It is mostly the smaller ones with no partners whatsoever. f this does not change fast it is indeed the end of gaming YouTube.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Nekroskop

@darji: Only the ones that monetize aka most of the bad ones. The actual good LPers who do it for FUN and not as a full-time job will still be there. Even if they get ads tacked on by publishers etc. there's always adblock.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By Darji

@nekroskop said:

@darji: Only the ones that monetize aka most of the bad ones. The actual good LPers who do it for FUN and not as a full-time job will still be there. Even if they get ads tacked on by publishers etc. there's always adblock.

Many who do it for money are also pretty damn good. Like 2 best friends play for example. And in the Meantime Gameinformer got hit as well.

No Caption Provided

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/12/11/tidal-wave-of-youtube-copyright-claims-underway.aspx

I wonder when it will hit Giantbomb

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Google continues to do a really great job at killing any and all good will people have had towards it.

Their slogan of "Don't Be Evil" continues to become more hilarious as time goes on.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@darji: Probably not soon, if ever. It appears these claims are coming from companies that don't actually hold the rights. In fact today Ubisoft said to get in contact with them if you are experiencing claims against your material, and they will help fix it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/11/is-nintendo-claiming-copyright-on-youtube-videos-again

A whole bunch of other companies have said as much too. From what I saw, Codemasters, Deep Silver and Blizzard are all doing the same.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By Darji

@ben_h: Yeah some will allow it and some will not. The question is who and what kidn of exposure they will get from that. Right now it is all about publicity. You can make a lot of good points if you actually are acting like codemasters and with them being totally fine to do this. That is why I hope this will all switch again due to the fact that these big ones like EA and co will get a ton of bad press in the next months.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@darji said:

@ben_h: Yeah some will allow it and some will not. The question is who and what kidn of exposure they will get from that. Right now it is all about publicity. You can make a lot of good points if you actually are acting like codemasters and with them being totally fine to do this. That is why I hope this will all switch again due to the fact that these big ones like EA and co will get a ton of bad press in the next months.

No, Darji. The point he made is that there are people out there that are falsely claiming ownership of the games and using that claim to have videos taken down. Whether Ubisoft will order videos taken down at a later date is immaterial; they did not report nor request that these videos in question be removed.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

No, Darji. The point he made is that there are people out there that are falsely claiming ownership of the games and using that claim to have videos taken down. Whether Ubisoft will order videos taken down at a later date is immaterial; they did not report nor request that these videos in question be removed.

No they have also stated like Codemasters that they are fine with it. Codemasters came out first and was saying they are totally fine that you make money of our material since they believe these videos help al ot in terms of advertising the game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

No they have also stated like Codemasters that they are fine with it. Codemasters came out first and was saying they are totally fine that you make money of our material since they believe these videos help al ot in terms of advertising the game.

You're implying that Ubisoft is only doing this for the current publicity and will start banning videos en masse later on without any sort of evidence to back up this claim.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

Google continues to do a really great job at killing any and all good will people have had towards it.

Their slogan of "Don't Be Evil" continues to become more hilarious as time goes on.

Google is a disgusting corporation.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

You're implying that Ubisoft is only doing this for the current publicity and will start banning videos en masse later on without any sort of evidence to back up this claim.

When did I say that? I will get them a nice publicity boost if they do it now. But I never said they will do it later. If they would do it it would be a petty stupid move.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's sad.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ben_h said:

@mclargepants said:

@darji: Probably not soon, if ever. It appears these claims are coming from companies that don't actually hold the rights. In fact today Ubisoft said to get in contact with them if you are experiencing claims against your material, and they will help fix it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/11/is-nintendo-claiming-copyright-on-youtube-videos-again

A whole bunch of other companies have said as much too. From what I saw, Codemasters, Deep Silver and Blizzard are all doing the same.

Isn't this very common on YouTube? Bots will come to shut down your videos, claiming that they have the rights to the content or represent those who do, when neither is actually the case.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_h said:

@mclargepants said:

Isn't this very common on YouTube? Bots will come to shut down your videos, claiming that they have the rights to the content or represent those who do, when neither is actually the case.

But not like this. Right now people try to claim everything. Music, Sound effects, Trailer material, cut scenes and so on. One even got a claim for music and artwork he made himself. Right now it is crazy out there.

volemaulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By Darji

There are still great publishers out there XD

Deep Silver has no intention of preventing players, who like to create gaming content on YouTube using our games, from doing so. Nor do we seek to block any videos of the kind. This includes Let's Play, Walkthrough, Review, or other edited or commentated videos that are monetized by a player.

Whether your opinion of our games is positive or negative in your YouTube video, it is not our right as a games publisher to infringe on your basic right to voice your opinion freely using a public platform.

We will be monitoring the changes on YouTube and any other online medium that lets our fans share their common passion for games, and react and adapt to facilitate our communities wherever they are.

You will not be alone in this, whatever changes may come. Within the games industry, including at our competitors, there are many who share this vision. Adapting to change may sometimes take time, so we hope that the gaming community will be patient with not just us, but others as well, as we collectively strive to resolve any issues that arise.

More in detail here: They also trying to clear the issues about Idol and Shock Entertainment claims regarding the music in these games as fast as possible.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rtdre5

Poppy_Persona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so stupid, whether you like lps or not its still lame. Also would this affect non you tube videos such as oh i don't know an endurance run or other extended footage of games on a website that runs any kind of ads.......?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#288  Edited By Tennmuerti

@poppy_persona said:

This is so stupid, whether you like lps or not its still lame. Also would this affect non you tube videos such as oh i don't know an endurance run or other extended footage of games on a website that runs any kind of ads.......?

No. This is Youtube policy. They are (google) a company and can apply any rules they choose to internally (as long as it isn't unlawful).

Any other site would have it's own rules and regulations, and any copyright claims would have to go to them, with all due process. It's business as usual, nothing changed in this respect.

SavageManLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By SavageManLove

This has been really interesting to watch as I get my lowly classic gaming channel off the ground (somewhat lazily). I decided to just un-monetize all of my LPs for the fact that I hate ads and I'll never getting enough views to really go viral or whatever so why not just make it more convenient for the viewers who do care to watch them. I'm just going to focus on making content and not thinking about "oh god when can I get da views so i make pewdiepie millionz!!!". Sometimes you just have to do stuff for free because you have a passion for it and it's a learning opportunity.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Hopefully they will improve the system so that a random troll can't claim copyright on your video. Seems many companies are still okay with you uploading clips of their games, so that shouldn't be a problem, if the automated system was better.

On the other hand, this might help independent games, certainly their creators would appreciate people showing their games on youtube.

KnightHart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire situation is so amazingly fucked, it's hard to believe it only took about a day for it to destroy what I think everyone can agree on has helped gaming grow exponentially over the past few years, or rather the past gen (PS3-360-Wii). Based off some of the new info, it appears that even though a lot of these developers/publishers were originally on board with the Content-ID system, a lot of them are sort of going "... Shit, we didn't think it would be THIS bad or they would do it in THIS way." Namco Bandai, Capcom, Deep Silver, and Ubisoft have all said that if any Youtubers got content ID'd that they should contact them quickly. Unsurprisingly, Nintendo is 100% on board with this, so screw them, though they may have good reasons for this (for example they technically do own the music and sound effects of their games since everything they do is in-house as opposed to outsourced to third parties). The publishers aren't to blame here, it's Youtube/Google. Be ready for angry text!

While I think most of us can respect the reasoning why they would implement such a system, the problem here is that the system they implemented doesn't fucking work properly at all. A lot of these claims aren't even being done by the companies themselves, it's just a magical robot computer thing doing algorithms and shit that are Content-ID carpet bombing Youtube videos. Some of these claims are seemingly bogus as well. ANYONE can Content-ID a video. It's a shoot and forget system. It might as well be a 'Claim' button located next to the 'Like' and 'Dislike' buttons on a Youtube video, because it's just that easy. There aren't any repercussions, no questions asked, you literally just press the button and BAM that persons revenue stream is GONE. It's such an amazingly flawed form of copyright protection worthy of Google/Youtube's non-sense.The fact that a zombie THQ can somehow copy right claim WWE 2K14 videos blows my mind. It's as if they've come back as a ghost attached to Youtube with an umbilical cord.

The publishers have nothing but bad PR to gain from this form of broken copyright protection. A significant portion of channels on Youtube are gaming related, some of the largest are gaming focused, and many of these gaming channels have very large and vocal followings (TotalBiscuit, AngryJoe). I think the last thing Capcom, Deep Silver and Ubisoft want are a bunch of angry virtual crowds calling for their blood. The online gaming community isn't just a small bunch of nerds anymore, it's the equivalent of a rather loud, virtual crowd constantly seeking entertainment and information.

Don't get me started on this whole 'BUT IT'S NOT A JOB GET A REAL JOB'. A lot of these people make a living off these videos. They are a part of a new form of online entertainment that isn't porn for once. A lot of them exist to 'entertain' the audience, which is what the majority of LP's are I guess, well, that's what I've experienced from watching JesseCox, Two Best Friends Play, and Chuggaaconroy, my three favourite LP'ers. In the case of JesseCox and TBFP, they exist to entertain an audience, a virtual audience, to essentially make many of us who work really crappy 9-5 jobs or attend miserable 8AM classes (fuck all this) have something to watch and enjoy. In the case of someone like Chuggaaconroy, and even TotalBiscuit and AngryJoe, they exist to not only entertain the audience to some extent, but to inform the audience on either on individual games (reviews, in-depth walkthroughs. Chugga works REALLY HARD on his LP's! Even when he's sick!). These people work to basically make our lives a bit better and happier, and they at the same time get to do what they love and feel passionate about. I can't disagree with how these guys I follow work, because I love what they do, and I'd hope they enjoy what they do as well. Even so, in the end I get what I want as a consumer, which is entertainment and information on video games. I come home, school and work were miserable, man, it'd be nice to sit back with some warm milk and watch Caddicarus or ProtonJon again. It's THAT sort of feeling. It's one thing to insult below average LP'ers as cheap, junk content, and you may be right. But I refuse to let people just blanket video game focused content makers on Youtube as shit content because some guy/girl working a shitty 9-5 job is a bit salty that he/she didn't take the initiative isn't as happy or successful in their current point in life as they are. You know what we don't need? More people being essentially fired and sent back out looking for jobs, because finding jobs is easy, right?. You know what these Youtubers have right now? Jobs, a source of income, at least for the current moment in their lives. If you want to tell me that Youtubers like AngryJoe DON'T deserve the success they've had, I'd like to see you try.

And I guess those are my feelings as someone who doesn't watch TV and would rather sit his ass on a PC watching Giant Bomb Quick Looks and video game Youtube content

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

here is a longvideo conversation about the topic with

TotalBiscuit, FarFromSubtle, itmeJP, Fork Parker and Adam Sessler!

Loading Video...

A lot of interesting stuff like companies even claim royalty free Music and so on. They also talk about how it profits Publisher. It is long but very informative listen to. Also if you go to the youtube side you have time stamps for every discussionpoint if you do not want to listen to the whole thing.

NathanStack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By NathanStack

@connerthekewlkid said:

@you_died said:

@video_game_king said:

@darji said:

No Caption Provided

Loading Video...

@video_game_king

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW IM NOT EVEN DOING ANYTHING AND MY AD REVENUE IS DISAPPEARING ON ITS OWN

This is my favorite post ever from these forums.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8d1874be961
deactivated-5d8d1874be961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

here is a longvideo conversation about the topic with

TotalBiscuit, FarFromSubtle, itmeJP, Fork Parker and Adam Sessler!

Loading Video...

A lot of interesting stuff like companies even claim royalty free Music and so on. They also talk about how it profits Publisher. It is long but very informative listen to. Also if you go to the youtube side you have time stamps for every discussionpoint if you do not want to listen to the whole thing.

Well Youtube just opened a whole can of whoop ass heading their way. There are channels who are not managed, but affiliated with over 1m subscribers who are going to have a voice in this matter. I feel for all the youtubers who were hit by this copyright bs and I hope everything gets sorted out quickly as possible. Angry Joe just put out a video, and hopefully other big known channels will get the word out as well. Because I love the gaming content on youtube, and if that is taken away, then it's going to be a huge problem for not just me, but a big lost for the gaming industry, and a big lost for youtube.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By Darji

@tinoxtreme: Yeah the Angry Joe one is great as well. So I link also to that. He tells you how his reviews are getting claimed and even Developer interviews(Tomb Raider). This is all sorts of fucked up. Who thought this is a system that works and a good idea?....

Loading Video...

@Mods I really hope this is not YouTube spam since they are very valid and important opinions on this topic and more than worth listen to.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The end of video games has begun

Kazzenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By Kazzenn

Thanks Obama.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By development

@darji: That was great. If Youtube doesn't get all this shit fixed I'll be really happy to support the next "Youtube." Hopefully it's not Vimeo.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Jesus, so this is really happening huh? Also, I still can't watch any of Angry Joe's videos for over 2 minutes or so. Even when his 'anger' gimmick is justified like for a video such as that, he's just so damn unbearable to watch. There's something about him that's just so... off-putting.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers