The first time you ever camped out for a gameconsoles launch?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

For those of you who have ever camped out in front of a Gamestop or something on the eve of the launch of a game console, what was your first time doing that, and how was the experince? My first, and only, time I ever waited in line outside of a store till they opened to get the new console would have to be the Wii, and it wasnt even for me. It was for my brother for christmas.  Heres how it was set up.  

I worked at my job (Del Taco) from about 6PM to close, which was about 11:45PM. Not that long of a day really, but the thing is, my dad picked me up and we went straight to the Best Buy right after work (I did get a chance to change my clothes though) and we then proceeded to wait in line until the store opened at like 7 or 8am. so, that means not only did I have to work 5 hours, but I also had to wait in a line for a additional 7 or so. Plus, my Dad was waiting in a target line, just in case the Best buy didnt have anymore when I got there. That means I was the one waiting in the Best buy line. I did meet a Co Worker there that was one place behind me, so atleast I had someone to talk to. Also, peopel where starting to get fiesty because people were accusing others of cutting in line and people who were like first in line were selling their preorder slips for Exorbinant amounts of money (something along the lines of 100 or 150 dollars) so it was kinda crazy. But, after all of that, I ddi get the Wii (barely though, I was like number 24 of 25) so my dad ended up waiting in that target line for no reason because they only had like 5 or 10.  We got teh syestem along with Zelda and Monkey Ball and a Extra Wiimote I believe.

I didnt want a Wii personally, this was for my little bro. so I went through all that for something that wasnt even for me and Santa Claus got all the credit. lol. Anyway, it was still a memorable experince, and I would like to do it again whenever the new consoles come out.
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

Never have never will, i don't care about video games that much to camp on the street.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Organicalistic_
@zombie2011 said:
" Never have never will, i don't care about video games that much to camp on the street. "
lol, i love you
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

I never have.  I like to consider myself a smart shopper unless Steam has some awesome deals.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunExplosions

I can't see myself ever camping out for a video game, be it a console or a single game. I can totally see myself doing it for someone else, though, like you did. Makes the gift seem that much better.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NathHaw

Never camped, but I did the waiting outside thing for the Wii and for the WoW expansions.  They can be a lot of fun.  I worked a couple of those nights at a video game store as well.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bluethunder35

I've only bought a console on Day One twice, the PSX and the Xbox 360 and both were paid for and were guaranteed to be there for me in the morning. No having to wait in line hoping to grab one in my case. 
The only time I stood in line for a game was for GTA4. Lots of people were waiting on a very chilly late April night for this one at the EB. Again, though, it was bought and paid for. 
I don't want to ever do that shit. I've heard and read the stories.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kishan6

never have

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I came close with the Wii, but in my lifetime never. I did pick up a N64 on launch day at K&K Toys, got the second to last one. I didn't buy a game for it until Mario 64 arrived. 

Funny about the Wii, my nephew camped out and got me a ticket from a different store. I slept, woke up, got the ticket at 7:45am and bought the game and was out by 8:10am. I showed the console to my nephew while he was waiting at a different store. My Wii love and luck and just begun. Stick it to the man.

diggylee1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By diggylee1

I have to admit there has only been one time for me and that was for the xbox360 at launch. That was also the longest and only time I will ever care to do that again clocking in at just over 12 hours at my local Walmart. All I have to say is it was a good thing it was a 24 hour supercenter so the wait was indeed indoors.  

I have also learned my lesson on buying expensive electronics day one with that box because not even 2 weeks went by and it RRoD on me. Wait Mircosoft never fixed that major issue and it's still present in the new 360 shorts only now it's a red dot warning you it's about to shutdown due to overheating lol! Well most of the time quality products are release to the public. While it was fun wait with all the people at launch that will be the only time i'll be in a new console line.
Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

never, no point 

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@zombie2011 said:
" Never have never will, i don't care about video games that much to camp on the street. "
This essentially summarizes how I feel. I might wait in line for, like, an hour, but no more than that. I don't think much would be worth the wait like that.
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SSValis

yes for the N-GAGE...... it was awesome!!!!

BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BC_

I did it for a PS2 back in the day at Kmart. Are there even still Kmarts?

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yakov456

Never, the closest I came was the Dreamcast release. Just went to Babbage's the morning it was released and purchased it. When I was a kid, if I had the means, I probably would have camped out as ashamed as I am to admit that.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By hockeymask27
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @zombie2011 said:
This essentially summarizes how I feel. I might wait in line for, like, an hour, but no more than that. I don't think much would be worth the wait like that. "
Ya the 2 hour boxing day line was my limit. Actually it was like 20min it was the cash line that got out of hand.
Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Never.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By agentboolen

I never camped out for a console but I did go to a few stores on the release date just to get a N64.  I remember going to a K-mart, Funcoland and a Toys R us and being told they were sold out and weren't given many.  I eventually managed to get 1 later that day by going to a new electronic store that just opened up a few months earlier (and later that same year went out of business).  I remember finding a mountain of them there and being amazed that they were not sold out.  Yep lets just say I was playing Mario 64 all night that night.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NathHaw
@agentboolen said:
"  I was playing Mario 64 all night that night. "
Weren't we all?
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Damian

Closest thing I come to camping was waking up at 5am to grab a PS2 on day one. The only thing that could make me seek refuge on a city street is homelessness.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#21  Edited By the8bitNacho

I've never done such a thing.  Hell, I've never had a new console within the first six months of its launch.  It's just not worth it to shell out all that cash and give up that much time for some generally mediocre launch titles.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By grilledcheez

Never, I preorder consoles I want at launch

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Diamond

Never have.  Showed up launch day for every console last gen (last minute decision for PS2).  Ordered my launch 360 online and didn't buy Wii or PS3 at launch...

I guess I would if that was the only way I could get one and I really wanted it.

Sinkwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sinkwater

I waited indoors at a Walmart for about 4 hours for a Gamecube.  I was convinced that the black ones were going to sell out so I wanted to make sure I got mine.  It wasn't too bad, I had my Discman and Gameboy, so I was content.  Of course, the next day there were plenty of black Gamecubes sitting around.  Rogue Leader was awesome though, and still is.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

The Wii. Everybody should camp out for a console launch at least once, PS3 being the exception, for several reasons. First, it can't have a launch anymore. Second, all the horror stories about the launch.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Demyx

I don't usually buy things on day one. Although there are exceptions. I also wouldn't camp out for consoles because I've never had the money to buy one.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By demontium

Wii.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iam3green
@BC_ said:
" I did it for a PS2 back in the day at Kmart. Are there even still Kmarts? "
i don't have a kmart where i live. the funny thing is that kmart closed and walmart moved there. the old kmart is now a walmart and the old walmart is now storage for walmart. 

i never waited in line for a console. i usually wait for the price to drop to buy a new console. i did it for xbox 360 and ps3. when modern warfra 2 came out i waited in line for the game.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By MooseyMcMan

The Wii. Well, I didn't really camp, but I spent 12-ish hours in front of a Wal-Mart in the cold (there was frost on my chair). So worth it. In retrospect though, I should have bought two, and sold one online. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@zombie2011 said:
Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Crono11

I've camped out for a console once and it wasn't even for me. A buddy of mine, who is a total Playstation freak, asked me to camp out with him and I did. He really wanted to be the first in line so he stood outside of Wal-Mart starting at 8:30 am the day before it launched, (I think it was the 16th). So me being the tool that I am went with him. Little did we know that it was going to be raining that day, ALL day. Luckily my mom stopped by and gave us an umbrella. That was pretty much the most exciting part, oh except that everyone in line thought I was getting a ps3 too so I sold my "spot" which would have gotten someone a 60 gig for $300. I thought that was alright.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By sjschmidt93

Never. Consoles always cost too damn much when they launch.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ryanwho

3DS will be my first midnight launch buy.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fuzzyponken

Never done that. The only thing I have camped out for was tickets for The Phantom Menace premiere, which turned out to be a useless effort considering I live in a small swedish town and tickets weren't really all that hard to come by if you just showed up an hour or so before they opened. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Never.

If I want something day 1, I'll pre-order it online and have it sent to my nice warm house on the morning of release.  (if not the day before)

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DukesT3

I did for about... 9 hours for a 360 with my friend in december. Just there for support really. I was ready to camp out for the ps3 for about a few days but was too late at most spots. So, in short, no not for me personally.

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I did once for the Xbox 360 launch and I'll never do it again, as it was a frustrating and miserable experience. Granted it was a spur of the moment kind of thing so I was pretty unprepared but it still sucked.

MadThad0890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MadThad0890

For a game yes, for a console  FUCK THAT!  Look at the 360 it took them like 4 years to get a decent sku out there.  plus there are never really MUST HAVE games during a  console lunch  . 
anyway the first games i ever "camped" for was gta SA my gamestop was giving them out at 9:00 pm, the next one was SSBB midnight gamestop thing.