The slow bomb

Elemmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Edited By Elemmire

I'm an avid reader of video- game news. Giant Bomb has been my friend since they started. The page's wiki based knowledge archive, some of the best reviews of the business and it's informal style are all trademarks that keep pulling attention. But the refresh rate i slooow. 
The holliday season was slow all over, but as the pace has picked up again on blogs like kotaku, gametrailers, Giant Bomb has lagged behind. Even Bayonetta doesn't have a vido review!  

Leaving the verdict out on Darksiders doesn't help either. And I'm wondering. Is this the result of a slow pace, or a more meticulous approach to reviewing? I'm hoping for the latter. Because Giant Bomb doesn't have anything to offer other than the occasional update now and then. I'm going to stop coming back. 

Many of those now working at Giant Bomb came from gamespot, and while I was delighted at the modernisation of many of gamespots qualities, Giant Bomb failed to bring on the eccelent inverviews.  

I'm hoping Giant Bomb will find new ways to bring new and good content to the site, or I believe it will see a decline in visits.

Elemmire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1  Edited By Elemmire

I'm an avid reader of video- game news. Giant Bomb has been my friend since they started. The page's wiki based knowledge archive, some of the best reviews of the business and it's informal style are all trademarks that keep pulling attention. But the refresh rate i slooow. 
The holliday season was slow all over, but as the pace has picked up again on blogs like kotaku, gametrailers, Giant Bomb has lagged behind. Even Bayonetta doesn't have a vido review!  

Leaving the verdict out on Darksiders doesn't help either. And I'm wondering. Is this the result of a slow pace, or a more meticulous approach to reviewing? I'm hoping for the latter. Because Giant Bomb doesn't have anything to offer other than the occasional update now and then. I'm going to stop coming back. 

Many of those now working at Giant Bomb came from gamespot, and while I was delighted at the modernisation of many of gamespots qualities, Giant Bomb failed to bring on the eccelent inverviews.  

I'm hoping Giant Bomb will find new ways to bring new and good content to the site, or I believe it will see a decline in visits.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Daryl

I believe they're suffering with new year laziness. Or you're on this site too much. Believe me, it feels like ages for any new content to come up if you spend all day on here. 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai

I agree about Darksiders review, that thing should have been out at the same time as Bayonetta considering how similar the games are.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

You argue a lot of good points. While I would be quick to defend Giant Bomb, they're ultimately here to fulfill our needs. If you check up with Jeff and Ryan's daily Ustream videos, listen to the Bomb Cast, and keep up on Quick Looks, you should get a good enough opinion on most major releases. They're a small man team, and making a video review isn't a 2 hour task. A written review and a Quick Look is good enough, isn't it? Or do you not like to read? I will admit they're often lacking in terms of daily written content.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

Its not uncommon for them to be behind on reviews, still theres been a few quicklooks over the past 12 days which has been as entertaining as any. Especially The CaLLing
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bonbolapti

Impatience on the internet is the strangest thing. They'll get back on track.
Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Druminator

Yea this is the last site I come to daily for news because there's never any news I didn't read somewhere else.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By nanikore

OBJECTION!

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HaltIamReptar

They didn't get Darksiders in the mail.  Jeff had to go out and buy it himself.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lowbrow
@Jeffsekai said:

" I agree about Darksiders review, that thing should have been out at the same time as Bayonetta considering how similar the games are. "

The time to play the game is the time it takes to play the game. I see no logic here.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeffsekai
@Lowbrow said:
" @Jeffsekai said:

" I agree about Darksiders review, that thing should have been out at the same time as Bayonetta considering how similar the games are. "

The time to play the game is the time it takes to play the game. I see no logic here. "
Okay dummy, two games come out that are the same genera so a lot of people are looking for help on which one to buy. A review for only one game comes out. That person then is defualted to that game since they have no info on the other. Simple right? From what im reading in forums Darksiders and Bayonetta have the same playthough times give or take a few hrs.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RsistncE
@Jeffsekai said:
" @Lowbrow said:
" @Jeffsekai said:

The time to play the game is the time it takes to play the game. I see no logic here. "
Okay dummy, two games come out that are the same genera so a lot of people are looking for help on which one to buy. A review for only one game comes out. That person then is defualted to that game since they have no info on the other. Simple right? From what im reading in forums Darksiders and Bayonetta have the same playthough times give or take a few hrs. "
Actually Bayonetta and Darksiders are nothing alike although I do agree that a Darksiders review last week would have been nice.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeffsekai
@RsistncE: I said same genera if you disagree they are both action adventures then please enlighten me.
Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Addfwyn

I don't care so much about them getting video reviews up, cause those are pretty labour-intensive to produce, but I'd like to maybe see a written darksiders review.   Honestly, I'm usually here for the Quick Looks which also are not very labour intensive (mic up the players and run the capture feed).  

On the other hand, I appreciate that they always finish a game before they write the review for it, so I'm willing to give them time to work through it.  They also seemed a bit busy experimenting with the new video streaming, and then reverting it.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RsistncE
@Jeffsekai: If you played both then you'd know exactly what I mean. Bayonetta is a pure action game like Devil May Cry while Darksiders is much more of an adventure game like Zelda. You can't possibly be saying that, although Devil May Cry and Zelda are in the same BROAD genre, they're even close to being the same type of game, can you?
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai
@RsistncE: So your saying there Action AND adventure hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lowbrow
@Jeffsekai said:
" @Lowbrow said:
" @Jeffsekai said:

Okay dummy, two games come out that are the same genera so a lot of people are looking for help on which one to buy. A review for only one game comes out. That person then is defualted to that game since they have no info on the other. Simple right? From what im reading in forums Darksiders and Bayonetta have the same playthough times give or take a few hrs. "
The way you worded your post made it sound like because the games are the same genre the reviews should have been ready at the same time based solely off that fact. Which didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 

And like everyone else said, they had to go purchase Darksiders themselves, whereas I'm pretty sure they already had review copies of Bayonetta at the same time.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Azteck

I'd rather have the reviewer be a week later than most major websites with a review, but with a good review, than having a rushed one which might be faulty in places. Is a day one release really that important to you that you can't hold off for a week to play a game?

ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By ColinWright
@Jeffsekai: Please stop talking, you are making yourself appear dumber with every post. It's saddening really.  And since when did being in the same genre as another game mean they have to have around the same length?
FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

It's difficult to compare Giantbomb to IGN or Gametrailers because of their staff.
The bigger websites easily have multiple staff on just DS games, let alone on 360 and PS3 games.
So despite only having 5 reviewers (4 really, but Dave always does PC RPGs) I think the amount of content they pump out is perfect.

Sure, would it be awesome to have Bayonetta review day of release? Darksiders video review? Army of 2: 40th Day QL last week?
Of course I fucking would! But this is Giantbomb, if they put all that stuff out as quickly as everyone else, the sheer amount of awesome would kill us all.
And that's really what happens in 2012.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By luce

I just miss the Endurance run and TANG..i do feel like the amount of content we get from Giant bomb has thinned a bit but who am I to complain

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gav47

You need to take into account that they really only have 3 reviewers/editors (Jeff, Brad and Ryan). Vinny and Drew also do video work for Comic vine. You can't put this in contrast with publication such as Kotaku which has 7 editors, 2 guest columnist and also receives extra content from the other Gawker Media blogs. 

TL;DR Giantbomb small other sites big.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sabata

This site trades speed for quality and that is a trade I'm more than happy to make.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE
@Jeffsekai: Well you can classify them however you like really but the point is they are very different games. As I said before, Bayonetta is far closer to something like DMC while Darksiders is far closer to something like Zelda. I still agree that a review last week would have been nice but if they had to buy their own copy then I can see the difficulty delivering on such a request.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I don't seem to remember twenty to forty minute quick looks on GameSpot.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I don't mind the delay for reviews here because almost certainly means they've finished the game and are giving you the most accurate review they can. 
Also, doesn't the GB crew review retail copies? Which means there couldn't be any pre-release reviews, and if several games dropped at once it would mean choosing which to review. 

@Gav47 said:

" You need to take into account that they really only have 3 reviewers/editors (Jeff, Brad and Ryan). Vinny and Drew also do video work for Comic vine. You can't put this in contrast with publication such as Kotaku which has 7 editors, 2 guest columnist and also receives extra content from the other Gawker Media blogs.   TL;DR Giantbomb small other sites big. "
Also, this.
misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By misterpope
@luce said:
"I just miss the Endurance run and TANG..i do feel like the amount of content we get from Giant bomb has thinned a bit but who am I to complain "

I agree with you. But... I love giant bomb! 

this is a tough one.