The SNES vs. the Wii U?

jap_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jap_2002

I want to experience some of the great SNES games I hear everyone talking about, but I need some advice. Should I buy a original SNES and game cartridges or should I buy a Wii U and play them through the Virtual Console?

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thatdutchguy

Get a SNES.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By triumvir

Get one of the newer SNES retreads with the exact same controllers and the ability to play NES games, too. Some of them even play Genesis and Super Famicom games, like the FC Twin. I also think that you use composite cables to hook them up to your TV instead of the old-school adapter, which can be a little more convenient.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By TheHBK

SNES broski.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Canteu

Get a PC.

It comes with a built in snes.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Turambar

How much are SNES carts of the games you want to try?

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By avidwriter

The console will be cheap but the carts might be expensive...

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By subject2change

Chrono Trigger and Earthbound are going to cost you a bunch; if you want the true experience go SNES but it's going to cost you a lot in the long run.

Also DONT MASS BUY GAMES for the "NEW" Console. Buy em when you can find em cheap and you actually plan to play them. I have 30 N64 Games on my shelf that I barely touched that I purchased within the last 6 months. eBay is addictive.

Masterherox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Masterherox

Well, considering that the Wii U doesn't have the virtual console yet... I'd say get a wii. The VC on that should suffice

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By renmckormack

GET A SNES

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hatking

The trouble with the SNES is that you'll likely be buying one used, and while hardware malfunctions weren't as bad then as they are now, it's still been a very long time and it's an old system. It's simply not as reliable as a brand new Wii/WiiU would be. In addition to that, the original cartridges for some games might cost just as much as a Wii, some approaching the cost of the WiiU. Not to mention they're difficult to find.

Then again, those games aren't even likely to be on the Wii, and definitely aren't on the WiiU yet. I guess it comes down to what you want to play. Make a list and cross reference it with the WiiShop's Virtual Console. See what you'd be looking at spending that way, and vice versa.

Think about the future too. WiiU will almost certainly be getting the bigger SNES games that are available on the Wii, eventually. Plus, if you go that route you're sort of 'future-proofing' yourself for Nintendo consoles. You won't have to make any 'big' investments with Nintendo for some time.

jap_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jap_2002

@Turambar:@avidwriter: I've looked up prices on ebay and decide to keep it simple. I'll start with Zelda and Super Metroid which both run for about for 25 to 30 dollars.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

Get an emulator and a 360 controller.

If you must pay for the games, then get a a Wii or Wii U, buy what you want off of the Virtual Console, then get an emulator and play what isn't on the virtual console.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jap_2002 said:

@Turambar:@avidwriter: I've looked up prices on ebay and decide to keep it simple. I'll start with Zelda and Super Metroid which both run for about for 25 to 30 dollars.

For the "inexpensive" route with a SNES, might I suggest the following (in no particular order):

(Note: All prices subject to be different wherever you look. These are what I was finding them for)

Super Mario World - $15-20

Link to the Past - $20

Mega Man X - $18

Super Mario Kart - $20-25

Yoshi's Island - $20-25

DKC 1 (or 2): ~$20

I could go on, but that's my opinion for starters. Amazon is a good place, but I'd say they're more the high end of pricing. If you stake out Ebay, you can find some awesome deals or a lot of games (like $100 for 10-15 games).

The hardware should be able to hold up well (just look it over when you get it), and the carts clean up well with rubbing alcohol, or some Brasso if you need to break out the big guns and clean off a ton of gunk. I've been using the SNES from my days as an anklebiter, and that's going on 20 years old now. Just don't put in any new games without cleaning em first (keeps from contaminating the connector), and you oughta be fine.

VC is nice if you'd rather save some money, but there is something about using the original article (to me anyway - this is all preference).

Hope it helps!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ben_H

SNES and a CRT television. Everything feels off on an LCD and some games look funny. I was mysteriously missing tons of bonus damage timed button presses on Super Mario RPG. As soon as I got out an old tube TV it all went away. Check Ebay auctions, you can get SNESs quite cheap. I got mine for $40 with a copy of Super Mario World and mine is in perfect shape. Using an emulator just doesn't cut it. You can't see the framerate drops in Super Mario World (they are there. I was shocked when I saw them. Mostly in Donut Plains levels).

Edit: Just watch for prices on games. Some places charge a lot more than others. A lot of the pricing is based on condition. I paid $5 more for a copy of Super Mario RPG that was mint over one with a nick in the label, but that is worth it for me because I collect old games and want them in good shape. You can get most of the staple games for $20-30. LTTP sometimes goes for $35 and Yoshi's Island varies because it isn't as common. Once you get into the more rare stuff it goes up fast. It will be nigh impossible to get Super Mario RPG for less than at least $60 (I got mine for $70 but mine is mint. There were cheaper copies available). 

And yeah, bust out rubbing alcohol for the connector thingies. My copy of Zelda: A Link to the Past straight up didn't work before I took a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to it. Now it works perfectly.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By squiDc00kiE

Playing through VC is much easier and less of a headache, but if you have the ability definitely get a SNES and a CRT tv.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#17  Edited By ShadowMoses900

I would just get them on the Wii U if you can, much less hassle and more convienant. Especially considering you would have to chase down an old system and it's games which may or may not work properly after all these years.

jap_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jap_2002

I could probably look it up somewhere else, but are the batteries in the snes cartridges replaceable?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RazielCuts

I lol'd at the thread title because I thought this was going to be 'Nintendo were so much better back in the day, the SNES is way better than the Wii U' but you have my gratitude you didn't go there.

I've always been one for playing on the original hardware with the original controller as thats how it was played back in the day and if you're going back play it how it was do exactly that and have the same experience, so yeah, get a SNES.

@jap_2002: Batteries in a SNES cartridge? Unless theres some really obscure FX Chip game I'm forgetting the SNES didn't have them. The NES did with Zelda, maybe thats what you're thinking of?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Canteu said:

Get a PC.

It comes with a built in snes.

lol

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#21  Edited By psykhophear

Well, if you have the money and the love for nostalgia, then by all means get the Super NES.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By Daneian

@jap_2002: If you end up going with the original carts, I recommend the Supa Boy portable SNES. Got mine last friday and been playing mad Super Mario World.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By egg

WiiU because it's not an old system and because it has better games, and it has more games (if you count VC), has better controller, and can play Wii games, and has off-TV play for some WiiU games, and the controller can be used wirelessly, and the system is white and not yellow

HappyCheeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By HappyCheeze

Get a sega genesis bro, its got blast processing.

jap_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jap_2002

@HappyCheeze: Funny you say that. I asked for a SNES when I was a kid but got a Genesis instead. I still have it and play it every once in a while. Genesis does what Nintendo don't. LOL

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McGhee

The SNES is one of the greatest consoles ever. The WiiU is just . . . whatever.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jap_2002

I could probably look it up somewhere else, but are the batteries in the snes cartridges replaceable?

Totally replaceable (lots of how-tos online)
BUT YOU WILL LOSE YOUR SAVES!!!
Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nephrahim

Are you insane? Don't buy an SNES! IT's twenty years old!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JJOR64

If you really don't care that much, just get an emulator. If you want a more authentic experience, get a SNES.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By big_jon

If the Wii U gets better Virtual console support I think it would be a good choice, but it may not have DCK 1, 2, or 3 still...

So if you are only planing on playing SNES games? SNES is the better one. If you want to play future, potentially awesome Nintendo titles, grab the Wii U.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#31  Edited By JasonR86

Get a Wii U because you'll have more gaming opportunities beyond the SNES and, since you're new to SNES game ownership, you'll care less about nostalgia.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By striderno9

This is actually a thing I've been going through also. At first I bought a ton of games on VC but as we know there are a bunch of obscure games that won't ever make it to VC. So I decided to buy a Super Retro Trio and then I fell down the rabbit hole. After discovering how bad these games look on my HDTV I did some research and found a free Sony Trinitron on Craigslist. Now my games look great on the CRT. But still. Not as good as VC games. I'm playing through Super Metroid right now on both consoles to see which I prefer to follow through with.

Still haven't decided. But being that games like Earthbound are SUPER expensive on eBay, and how good Super Metroid looks on VC. I might find myself buying games carts for collecting reasons but playing them on VC when available.

Also, since I've gone so far as to get an actual CRT For my gaming I'm going to be getting a working SNES and Genesis on eBay soon.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jap_2002: Why not just use a PC or a phone with Google and play the entire library of NES games?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snes if you have a lot of money

Wii U if you don't mind a very limited library

PC if you don't mind being on the other side of legal for funsies

StarFox_Mulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the CRT stuff is true. I'm getting a new one this Saturday and it's been a struggle finding one but they're just so right. If you can link a PC up with S-Video then do it. I never cheated ever 'back in the day' but if you're busy then save stating your way through that Final Fantasy boss in Super Mario RPG won't lose you any respect.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ry_Ry

I have limited space and time so for me going VC or emulation works well enough. Finished LttP on my 3DS last week and I had a great time.