This Q1, spare a thought for Australia.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Rayfield

Wherever you hail from on this big blue planet, you probably think your life is pretty crappy right? All that time and money wasted on paying bills and choking hookers can certainly make it appear as if your day to day existence is rather bleak.  Well, at least your video game lifestyle is pretty easy going. 

Because ours ain't.  

For those of you who don't know, the land of Paul Hogan, Steve Irwin and whatever other irrelevant stereotype you may come up with gets the shaft pretty much all the time when it comes to video games. Now, I'm not just talking about our censorship and rating problems even though they are frustratingly backward. No, what I really mean is that we are victims to insane prices and lack of information.  

EB Games is the biggest retailer in the country when it comes to game-only stores and hooo boy, do they know it. Like a spider with many, many flies, the Australian arm of the Gamestop Corporation sucks many a dullard in every day and convinces them that yes, a AAA game like Modern Warfare 2 should be worth $120.00 (110.00 American). And if you didn't pre-order the Presitge Edition, you'll miss out on the privilege of shelling out $199.00 ($183.00 American) for those night goggles.  

But EB are just part of the problem. Pricing in general is horrendous. The Xbox 360/PS3 Beatles: Rock Band Limited Edition full band kit was released here for ...wait for it...$350.00 ($323.00 American). And no, it hasn't gone down in price. For $50 more, you could buy TWO Xbox 360 Arcades. Oh, and the God Of War 3 Ultimate Editon is rumoured to be $250.00 ($230.00 American). And an in-store purchase of an Xbox Live Gold 12 month subscription is $99.00 ($91 American).

On top of that, Australia is considered the bottom of the barrel by major game publishers. Nobody tells us shit. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (GB's Wii Game of 2009) has just been confirmed for release here on March 5. Why? Because Konami apparently couldn't find an Australian distributor. We found this out yesterday. Saw: The Video Game was released here weeks after the rest of the world with no explanation. Asking some game store clerks about release dates results in them checking out the store computer and looking up IGN.com. Some of them have no idea because nobody tells them. 

Expensive games prices however, result in a strange state of being in Australian gamers. Any of us with half a brain throws up two fingers to EB Games and goes to bigger department stores and find the same game for eight or ninety dollars. Because of the standard pricing in this country, we consider $80 to be a bargain. WE CONSIDER $80 TO BE A BARGAIN. Sure, we can import but we shouldn't have to. 

But you know what the kicker is? The real sugar on top that punches you in the face and calls you names? 99% of Australians couldn't give a shit. They are quite happy to keep floating along with the 'Well, that's what it costs I suppose' attitude that will essentially change nothing. Either that, or be content with Wii Sports or Ricky Ponting Cricket on their PS2.

So next time you're moaning about paying for that collector's edition of Mass Effect 2 or wondering whether or not to get that DSi XL, spare a thought for the little country who is still paying $500 ($462 American) for their Playstation 3. 

IT'S THIS ONE
IT'S THIS ONE
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Rayfield

Wherever you hail from on this big blue planet, you probably think your life is pretty crappy right? All that time and money wasted on paying bills and choking hookers can certainly make it appear as if your day to day existence is rather bleak.  Well, at least your video game lifestyle is pretty easy going. 

Because ours ain't.  

For those of you who don't know, the land of Paul Hogan, Steve Irwin and whatever other irrelevant stereotype you may come up with gets the shaft pretty much all the time when it comes to video games. Now, I'm not just talking about our censorship and rating problems even though they are frustratingly backward. No, what I really mean is that we are victims to insane prices and lack of information.  

EB Games is the biggest retailer in the country when it comes to game-only stores and hooo boy, do they know it. Like a spider with many, many flies, the Australian arm of the Gamestop Corporation sucks many a dullard in every day and convinces them that yes, a AAA game like Modern Warfare 2 should be worth $120.00 (110.00 American). And if you didn't pre-order the Presitge Edition, you'll miss out on the privilege of shelling out $199.00 ($183.00 American) for those night goggles.  

But EB are just part of the problem. Pricing in general is horrendous. The Xbox 360/PS3 Beatles: Rock Band Limited Edition full band kit was released here for ...wait for it...$350.00 ($323.00 American). And no, it hasn't gone down in price. For $50 more, you could buy TWO Xbox 360 Arcades. Oh, and the God Of War 3 Ultimate Editon is rumoured to be $250.00 ($230.00 American). And an in-store purchase of an Xbox Live Gold 12 month subscription is $99.00 ($91 American).

On top of that, Australia is considered the bottom of the barrel by major game publishers. Nobody tells us shit. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (GB's Wii Game of 2009) has just been confirmed for release here on March 5. Why? Because Konami apparently couldn't find an Australian distributor. We found this out yesterday. Saw: The Video Game was released here weeks after the rest of the world with no explanation. Asking some game store clerks about release dates results in them checking out the store computer and looking up IGN.com. Some of them have no idea because nobody tells them. 

Expensive games prices however, result in a strange state of being in Australian gamers. Any of us with half a brain throws up two fingers to EB Games and goes to bigger department stores and find the same game for eight or ninety dollars. Because of the standard pricing in this country, we consider $80 to be a bargain. WE CONSIDER $80 TO BE A BARGAIN. Sure, we can import but we shouldn't have to. 

But you know what the kicker is? The real sugar on top that punches you in the face and calls you names? 99% of Australians couldn't give a shit. They are quite happy to keep floating along with the 'Well, that's what it costs I suppose' attitude that will essentially change nothing. Either that, or be content with Wii Sports or Ricky Ponting Cricket on their PS2.

So next time you're moaning about paying for that collector's edition of Mass Effect 2 or wondering whether or not to get that DSi XL, spare a thought for the little country who is still paying $500 ($462 American) for their Playstation 3. 

IT'S THIS ONE
IT'S THIS ONE
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

It's frustrating listening to americans cry about video game costs.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Captain_Insano

Hear Hear

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By meteora

Australia has it up hard when it comes to gaming. =/

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It sucks that everyone over in Australia gets kinda screwed over on video games.

moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By moelarrycurly

At least if you have a PS3 you can import cheaper copies of games from other regions.  But that's gotta be expensive as well.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik
@Rayfield: You've convinced me, I'm leaving.

Actually, you've just reminded me that Game had Red Faction: Guerrilla on sale for $38. Might pop out at lunch and see if that's still the case. But yeah, in general we're the filling in a dick sandwich with games - if it's not legislation trying to make it harder to get good games, it's the people actually trying to sell them to us.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

I've become friends with quite a few from Australia on this site. All I can say is... It sucks balls. 

No Caption Provided
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rayfield
@Claude:  Cheers. That image made my day.

@buzz_clik:
  GAME are weird. While on one hand they have insane deals sometimes (Banjo N&B for $19), they are way too focused on the over the top prices of pre-order collectors editions of games. But at least they're not all up in your face with 'gamer-talk' like the dudes at Gametraders.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Tireyo
@Claude: Only you can make me sick like that Uncle Claude. = - P One disturbing image. lol.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shirogane

Argh, paying over 100 for games is one reason why i don't buy many games until years after they've come out. 

There was that insane sale where i got AC2 for 66 from EBgames though, a few weeks after it came out too, that was awesome. 

The other major problem is that things don't come out here until so long after the US release. Although this isn't that much of a problem now as it used to be. I remember having completely finished MGS3 so many times months before stores were even showing anything about it.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Rowr said:
" It's frustrating listening to americans cry about video game costs. "
Indeed.  At least Steam has been good to us while the sales were on.  That THQ bundle pack was a fucking bargain!
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By DanielJW

Hulk Hogan is from Australia?

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By mrfizzy
@Rayfield: You sir are a champion of the Australian Gamer. I get around the price thing by going online as much as i can, seeing what deals i can get. Tho i am not a fan of GAME i do like their online prices ($68 for a PS3 controller was a good one when it would be $99 normaly). Also i do believe that many South American countries have it worse than us. Brazil only got the PS2 the other month.    
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rayfield
@DanielJW said:
"Hulk Hogan is from Australia? "

THROW ANOTHER SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE BROTHER
THROW ANOTHER SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE BROTHER
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Synthballs

As an Australian I have to pretty much admit that this is no fabrication and that the big chain game stores will bend us over and rape us. I don't go to EB Games or Game. JB Hifi is now the best place to buy games now, which I think is a little weird. 

And, I'm not taking this shit and paying too much for a game. Importing is always an option but, waiting for it to arrive is the killer. It's a sad state of affairs but, it could be worse I spose... 

Oh Who am I kidding. It's as bad as it gets in Australia! 

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rayfield
@mrfizzy said:
" Brazil only got the PS2 the other month.     "

Yeah that's pretty bad.
nixatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By nixatron

Do you guys still get the steam sales down there?

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rayfield
@nixatron said:
"Do you guys still get the steam sales down there? "

Fortunately, yes.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

That's what you get for stealing all the kangaroos!!! 

In all seriousness, Australia needs to stop getting fucked so hard by the gaming industry.  Maybe you guys should throw a tea party...but use games instead?

tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By tomte
@Rayfield: see, lucky bastards...
i live in japan and we have no steam(fuck you, steam activation) and all games are completely in japanese, i understand a fair amount of it, but still... fyi, Dynasty Warriors is madly hard in japanese, even native speakers have problems with some parts of it...
shipping games from Sweden costs me around 80-90 dollars, and my mom is kinda gone when it comes to games, she bought me a 360 game when i have a PS3... and when i could send it back she couldnt return, can only get a refound within 2 weeks
So yeah, it sucks sometimes
Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rayfield
@tomte said:
" @Rayfield: shipping games from Sweden costs me around 80-90 dollars,  "

Goddamn.
ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By ApolloJ85

Sometimes I am reminded that I hate my country. But then again, we haven't got it so bad overall. 
Occaisionally I entertain the thought of moving to the US, but they have their problems too. I think.
NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NoDeath

I think the only game I've ever bought from EB was Gears 1. There was a big 50% off sale so I got it for 50 bucks about 5 months after it came out... at a 50% off sale. I usually either buy from a local JB HI-FI or online where 70-80 is the usual price I pay. Steam has been fantastic for ages with their prices but the recent releases of MW2 and Borderlands at $90 and $70 US respectively here in Aus troubles me.

I think one of the big things that angers me right now is the strength of our money. Back when our dollar was buying 60 US cents I didn't mind so much but now we're over 90 cents when you compare it, its way worse.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow

The last boxed game I bought was GTA IV for PC from England by way of India through Ebay.  It cost me a grand total of $29 delivered.  Wait time was three weeks though.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rayfield
@SeriouslyNow said:
"  It cost me a grand  "

I saw this and flipped the hell out for about 2-3 seconds.