Three suggestions on how to promote new content on Giant Bomb

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

I'm sad to see that the forums on GB haven't really taken off to any degree. Dedicated sites like TF2F (for tf2) have a dozen or more new threads per day, but  the forum for TF2 here has only 85. I've been a GB user since the beginning (before the real site dropped), and when I tried to find out where the forums were for a specific game I had a rather difficult time doing so.

So I'm rambly because I'm tired, but I've got 3 suggestions
1. Forums were far more accessible when at least a few forum posts were listed on the sub-sites for each game, rather than hiding it under yet another layer by putting only a small general feed at the very top of each page. I think that should be reverted, or otherwise changed to make the forums more obvious.
2. I think that due to the dearth of content on most (if not all) of the game specific forums, each forum should (within reason) filter up (or perhaps even down) to the other directly related forums. There is absolutely no reason why Mafia 1 and Mafia 2 discussions should not both also show up on the "franchise" page for Mafia (which would help to add content, as there is not even a single thread there). All FPS related discussions could filter upwards into the FPS concept page (which has one measly thread).
3. One should be able to add games that they are interested in to their "favs" so that it will show up in the "Topics From Your Favorite Forums" section on the homepage. This would increase the amount of people using the "favorite" feature, as it is currently buried in the forums* section. Such a feed could also alert users to when a change is made (wikipedia style) to their favorite sub-site, thus giving them a feed to the newest news, a new perspective or just an alert that some joker messed up the site.

* Addendum: Consider that it takes a user 4 steps to add a forum to their favs right now. More steps means less usage of that feature, which is bad.
1. Go to Giantbomb.com
2. Seatch for, pick out the game in the search box.
3. Click the forum link on the left side of the page.
4. Click the "add to favs" button.
I challenge you to get an avid internet user who has never been to GB to add a forum to their favs in less than five minutes. I doubt it can be done. The system simply isn't intutitive, and it's holding this site back. I want to see GB flourish.

I know coding is a damn hard job, and I know that designing a perfect web site is impossible, but I hope that these observations can be made use of, and that Giant Bomb will grow, overtaking the more traditional games news sites in traffic and forum usage.

Thanks, Replay

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

I'd like to addd another suggestion. some pages that should be more commonly used, are almost completely vacant because they are impossible to find using the search tool. One example is the Nintendo DS forums. While you can go to browse and find the DS page that way, it adds two extra steps. There needs to be a better way to find forums beyond the "popular boards" strategy.

thordain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By thordain
AgentJ said:
"I'd like to addd another suggestion. some pages that should be more commonly used, are almost completely vacant because they are impossible to find using the search tool. One example is the Nintendo DS forums. While you can go to browse and find the DS page that way, it adds two extra steps. There needs to be a better way to find forums beyond the "popular boards" strategy."
Well you could add it to your favorites......
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ

I have it on my favorites, but apparantly most people dont. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

There is actually a suggestion thread buried somewhere in the forums that BoG should really anchor at the top of the forums.