Too much star emphasis?

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

So after reading and enjoying Giantbomb.com for quite awhile now I have noticed something that pops up quite a lot in the gaming world and, even though Giantbomb certainly breaks previous molds, there are still many people who place a lot of emphasis on how many stars the GBomb crew give to games.  

Now I am far from guilty of just glancing at an impression, number of stars, or just watching the quick look, but when I am really interested in dropping $50+ on a game I do at least some reading up on it. 

So with that said...
Are there truly that many people who don't read the corresponding review? 
And if so, what can compel someone to be so interested in something, but then absolutely ignoring information on it and placing their purchasing decision on a star rating? 
Or is it simply, there are assholes out there?

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

If I am actually interested in a game I read the review and then watch the video review, if there is one.  However if it is a game I am not too interested in, I just watch the review or Quick Look.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By buzz_clik
@Br3adfan said:
" If I am actually interested in a game I read the review and then watch the video review, if there is one.  However if it is a game I am not too interested in, I just watch the review or Quick Look. "
Stop stealing my thoughts... thought stealer.
Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i'm sorry, your post was too long. can you like put a number to it so I can make a knee jerk reaction instead?

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By sjschmidt93

I don't read reviews of games I'm not interested in, no. 

Ones I am, sure.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By bubahula

i have never really payed muc hattention to the stars. its more about reading reviews and deciding for myself if i will enjoy a game or not
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Again:

I don't read reviews, mainly because I wish to form my own opinions of the game. However, if I know I'll never play it, then I'll read the review, analyze how they justify their opinions, and take what skills I wish to take from it.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8  Edited By Symphony

I wouldn't say they're assholes so much as they're lazy.

People are lazy. It's a generalization, but the fact that so many people put such weight on a quick glance at a numerical rating doesn't do much to debunk that argument.  "Why only 4 stars Jeff?" Ahh that quote from the Borderlands review is going to make me laugh and shake my head sadly for a long time to come.

Of course there are those of us, with our glasses of fine brandy and our monocles, who scoff at the very idea of numerical ratings and aggregate scoring systems. Chuckling to ourselves and our colleagues since we're all in on the fact that the whole system is a joke and the peasants who believe in such things are nothing but ignorant fools. 

Okay so they do have some merit but they are not enough on their own to give an idea of how good a game is. Two games can get 80% but for completely different reasons. One could have excellent game play, graphics, and sound, but fall flat on the story. The reviewer was put off by the story, didn't care for the characters, but had to admit it was a lot of fun to play, so they gave it 80%. The second one had clunky controls, some pretty noticeable bugs, but it tried to do things in a new way and had a good story to go along with it. The reviewer had a so-so time playing it but they applaud the game for trying something new and felt it deserved 80%. 

Having read that you know these two games have vastly different pros and cons, yet looking only at the score you'd think they were of equal merit, when that's clearly not the case. Some people couldn't give a damn about story, so 80% for the first game might feel too low for them. Others might not care about "innovation" and feel 80% was too high for the second. Going only off the score, they wouldn't be able to draw these personal conclusions themselves which is where the written review comes in.

Unfortuantely, as I said -- people are lazy and tend to take the easiest route. They'll read the numerical score and link that to some sort of predetermined criteria for such a number they're used to. In other words, if they see three stars, they'll think to themselves, "Okay 3 stars means it's okay, but pretty crappy" and when that doesn't match up with what they've seen in quicklooks, previews, heard from others, etc. they'll feel that is unjustified and start ranting and raving, without actually reading the review that justifies such a score.

Speaking of ranting and raving, I think I've written enough.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By PureRok

I don't read reviews at all unless I already played the game. When I say that I'm including ratings. Basically, I'll read previews on games I'm interested in, but not reviews.

This is because I tend to really like games that people hate/rate low. If I read reviews before buying games I'd have a lot less games that I have now, and I'd have missed out on a bunch that I really enjoy.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator
@PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:
" i'm sorry, your post was too long. can you like put a number to it so I can make a knee jerk reaction instead? "

This comment gets 5 stars! :D 

@Symphony said:
" Of course there are those of us, with our glasses of fine brandy and our monocles, who scoff at the very idea of numerical ratings..."

How did you know about my monocle?! 

I completely agree to your post though, asshole was a strong word, but how can someone be so lazy when it comes to investing money, emotion, and most of all time into something they do as a hobby? I guess it one of those, stupid people make me angry cases.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I always read reviews, i like reading pretty much anything video game related. Even if i don't like the game peoples opinions and insight on subjects really interest me.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12  Edited By Symphony
@FinalDasa said:
"How did you know about my monocle?! 

I completely agree to your post though, asshole was a strong word, but how can someone be so lazy when it comes to investing money, emotion, and most of all time into something they do as a hobby? I guess it one of those, stupid people make me angry cases.
"
Easy! Many of those people get allowances ;)