Topic of discussion: What sacrifices have you made for gaming?

tardcast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tardcast

This week me and my mates on the GameOverCast discussed what we'd given up for gaming. It turned into a revealing discussion of slight embarissment, pride and life changing choices.
I for instance gave up my dignity....
Short Version, Street fighter 2 made me piss myself.... In public.

Long version: I was maybe 13 years old, playing street fighter 2 at a 2 cabinet arcade (the sole occupant being me). I had only 1 credit but it got me all the way to the final 4 bosses, the first time I had achieved such a feat. By this point though i was bursting for the toilet. By the time I was fighting Sagat (the penultimate boss) it was taking all my willpower not to give to the demands of my bladder. The fight went to three rounds but by some miracle i was victorious (perhaps the need to pee solidifying my concentration like never before). On then i went to the final Boss, M Bison. The first round went to me, the second to him.... The third went to my bladder, and then whilst i stood stock still in shocked disbelief as to what was happening to me, my jeans turned a darker sinister shade of blue, Bison took the advantage and added insult to injury by perfecting me....

The rest of the crew also have revealing stories, including a life changing one.
Do you guys have any interesting examples of sacrifices and changes to your life that gaming has brought?

Things to think about:
- Little daily things
- Weekly things
- Money spenditure
- Social time lost(or even gained) due to gaming
- Embarrasing events wrought by games

Can anyone out embariss my embarrising pisstale? I'd love it someone could because it would make me feel less alone with the shame (or pride, not even urine could make me waste my credit!) :).

As always if you have time, take a listen to the podcast, this weeks is a funny one (no GiantBombCast, but has its moments), and is fairly COD centric, and even has a COD based gaming quiz.
Listen here!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

grades...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

Nothing I can think of.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By meteora

Grades, my future, my life. 

Yep.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By FacelessVixen

Studying mainly.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jimbo

Shelf space.

firewrkninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By firewrkninja

i sacrificed a sheep to super meat boy if that counts. :)

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

Grades and the ability to have normal human relationships not based on video games. Unfortunately I don't know anybody who is quite as into games as I am, so I have one person who I actually steadily refer to as a friend.

Also money. So very much money.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Mrskidders

Not a thing apart from a little cash.  Gaming isn't important enough.

dieguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dieguy

well let's see : 
-grades 
-money 
-social life 
-dignity  
So basically everything, but do I regret it? Hell no!

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Pinworm45

food 

Edit: I'm not kidding by the way, on my tight budget I do cut back on meals if there's a game I really want to buy. Not much choice since all other bills are absolutely required.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Branthog

I'm not sure I'd exactly say I "sacrifice" anything. I have no social life to speak of, but that's largely because my small group of people spread all over the country (and further) and lost touch. Also, I moved 1500 miles away from home five years ago to further my career. In addition to that, I have been a workaholic for my entire adult life. I have an awesome career and remarkable compensation, but it has come only in response to fifteen years of long hours and dedicated weekends. For the past five years, I have really needed to invert my biological clock so that I'm asleep all day and up all night, which further distances me from everyone. So here I am, early thirties, middle of the country, without friends or family, living alone in a big house, working non-stop (except when I'm playing games, which is often since I telecommute), and barely ever seeing daylight. 

I had some wild teenage years. Trouble with the law. Trouble with married women. Trouble with family. Definitely a black sheep. Sometimes I miss that, though I'm also glad I got my shit together and made something of myself and became a professional workaholic. Yet, I know that I'm probably going to die young, alone, and having not actually every DONE anything in the world other than work. The video games? I have a shit load of them. More than I get around to playing. But gaming isn't so much a think that gets in the way for me as it is a thing that I can do without having to entirely divorce myself form my working surroundings and schedule yet gives me something I can do that puts my mind into a different gear for a little while so I can decompress from twelve or sixteen hours of work . . . and then get back to that work. 

I imagine some people love gaming so much that they play it at the expense of all other things in their lives and that has to really suck. I think that I fit into the category of people for whom the gaming is not a thing that keeps me from other important things, but is a functional tool that allows me to maintain myself without otherwise totally burning out or going insane -- and with less investment or complication than getting involved in yet another relationship (which even in the best of cases consumes much of your time, emotion, sanity, money, etc). 

Hell, if it weren't for picking up the habit of playing games now and then, I would probably have already died at my desk from bad health and over work. 

There was a girl I was seeing for awhile, who was cute but completely useless. She was proud of being a Suicide Girl (ugh), but couldn't be bothered with a job. It was pretty much just good sex, then pulling out the laptop for some WoW -- along with a comment about supposedly having an interview the next day. Or the next week. Or whatever. Eventually, I realized she was never going to do anything with her life, because she just wanted to fuck and play WoW, so I didn't let that go on for very long. I have on idea what she's up to recently, but last I heard, her life was pretty much still just hours and hours of WoW surrounded by endless failure to even attempt to accomplish anything in her life. I'm all for people enjoying their liesure, but leisure should be the thing you do along with focusing on your ambitions; not in place of them. Such a turn off.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Rayfield

i sacrificed two days pay because I took two days off work when the original Half-Life came out.
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By melcene

Money 

Even today... I probably have other things I should be spending money on... but I preordered AC:B, and am going to pick it up on the way home.  The money issues always work themselves out. 

Grades 

I probably could have done better in college if I weren't busy trying to get homework done and dinner cooked before the 8pm raids. 

Shelf space 

Someone mentioned this, and it definitely applies here.  I guess we're packrats, but....  this is just a small example... (and part of our old setup.
PC Games
PC Games
Part of the WoW collection
Part of the WoW collection
Part of the EQ collection
Part of the EQ collection

Sex 

Yep, I'm not afraid to admit it.  Then again, I have someone to have sex with on a regular basis.  Whether it was me or the hubby, it happens sometimes that one of us is too busy shooting or looting to really be in the mood at the precise moment the other person is. 

Time with friends 

Yep.  There have been times where we simply said we didn't want company because we wanted to just chill at home and play whatever we happened to be playing at the time. 

Home Cooked Meals 

This is usually my bad.  And I was really bad about it when we were raiding.  Because who wants to worry about cooking dinner when there's a raid in an hour?
Deadlypixels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deadlypixels

None, games should be something that you play during free hours (unless of course it's your job), if you have to sacrifice friends or your job you're playing games for way longer than you should.

OroYoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OroYoke

Lots of money being spend over the years.

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By excido

years ago when FFXI came out I was addicted to that and have had over 2000 hours in my game, i let it take over my life but I grew past that and now I have a job where I work too many hours, a wife that doesn't game and a little daughter. as you can imagine they are my priority so I only game when I have time. that being said my wife understands that I enjoy games most of the time and let's me spend more money on it then i really should, or at least chooses to not ask when she sees me playing new games. I don't go out any less than I would if I didn't game and to be honest I'm not sure where the money would go that I spend on gaming now, I put some money away from each of my pay checks before I even think about buying games, I also try my best to get games on sale.

Eaten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Eaten

£220 for a PS3 that i don't play much on...

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Aetheldod

My life , but you know after seeing the pointless shit that life is where the finest human being you have know gets destroyed by that society and that society just wants you to be a fucking slave , I would do the same ad infinitum .... yeah pathetic , but none the less the truth of my life :/ 

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Marcsman

Happy hour