Trying to take a screenshot of a game running in 256 color mode

EberKain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By EberKain

So, I have an old windows 3.1 game, specifically, Missionforce: Cyberstorm.  It runs in windows XP by selecting windows 95 compatibility mode and ticking the run in 256 colors box. the game runs in a windowed mode and can be floated to anywhere on the desktop.

The problem is I can't take a screenshot.  I've tried a basic screendump and pasting from the clipboard into a paint program, but that just gives me a black box the size of the windows desktop.

I tried using GIMP and grabbing the whole screen, that just gives a black canvas inside the game window.

Gimp can grab a specific window, so I did that and it just gives black again.

I tried both those on a 2 second delay so I could click on something in the game to make sure the screen render was updated after pusing the grab button, still a black screen in both cases.

I resorted to a second screen capture program, fraps seemed to do squat, so I found WMSnap http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/mwsnap.html

which seems to do well, and appears to take a proper desktop grab, but after saving the image to a file the game window goes back to being black even though the preview in the program showed an image.

I tried using that programs feature to grab an area of the screen, and that again appears to work, but just comes out as black when saved to a file.

I tried to take the screen grab with WMSnap, and then use gimp to capture the preview image that appeared while WMSnap was open, but that again just gave me black screen instead of graphics.

I'm really quite confused and can only guess its a problem with running something in older compatibility mode..

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a screenshot of an old windows or dos game?

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By suneku

I have no answer but editing and tools forum is for wiki related stuff. So thread moved.

EberKain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By EberKain

I figured a tool, like a program for taking a screenshot of a game, would be something one would post in the tools forum...  silly me.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Gmanall

Mind=Blowen