Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TheDeadComedian

I've been reading Alex and Jeff's twitters and apparently there is some shit-talking going on concerning Brink, but I can't seem to find out where the anger is coming from? Does anybody know?

Alex:   I think it's safe to say that today has not been a banner day for establishing game journalism as a thoughtful, dignified profession.
That said, there is a certain perverse pleasure in watching a man lay wholesale waste to any future employment options he may have had.

Jeff:    Oh, we're back to trying to discredit reviewers based on achievements? How very November 2007 of you.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

Joystiq posted a 2/5 review. People looked at the reviewers achievements and saw that he didn't have many, assumed that he didn't play much at all and thus tried to discredit his review. The reviewer claimed he did in fact play plenty and talked some shit on his twitter account.

I think. That's my understanding of it at least.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

There's already multiple threads on this.  Just go to the Brink forum.

@Slaker117 said: 

" Joystiq posted a 2/5 review. People looked at the reviewers achievements and saw that he didn't have many, assumed that he didn't play much at all and thus tried to discredit his review. The reviewer claimed he did in fact play plenty and talked some shit on his twitter account.I think. That's my understanding of it at least. "

Not quite.  Some dude from Voodoo Extreme wrote an addendum to his story on Brink reviews calling Joystiq out with his only evidence being the achievement score. 
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By JJOR64

I guess the fanboys are butt hurt that their new favorite game is getting bad scores.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Samaritan

Didn't we solve this like.. 3 years ago? *sigh*

HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HumanityPlague

Bethesda needs to learn, when they DEVELOP games, they're buggy, but they're great.  Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3, etc.  When the PUBLISH games, they are terrible.  Wet, Brink, Star Trek: Legacy,  Rogue fucking Warrior.  Simple lesson to be learned: Just develop, don't publish.  You suck at it.  Just admit it, apologize for it, and move on with your development cycle.

everdred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By everdred
@HumanityPlague said:
" Bethesda needs to learn, when they DEVELOP games, they're buggy, but they're great.  Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3, etc.  When the PUBLISH games, they are terrible.  Wet, Brink, Star Trek: Legacy,  Rogue fucking Warrior.  Simple lesson to be learned: Just develop, don't publish.  You suck at it.  Just admit it, apologize for it, and move on with your development cycle. "
Sadly, this is the perfect statement. Because of this, I pretty much avoid Bethesda stuff completely but I did think that Brink would be good. :(
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iamjohn
@HumanityPlague said:
" Bethesda needs to learn, when they DEVELOP games, they're buggy, but they're great.  Oblivion, Morrowind, Fallout 3, etc.  When the PUBLISH games, they are terrible.  Wet, Brink, Star Trek: Legacy,  Rogue fucking Warrior.  Simple lesson to be learned: Just develop, don't publish.  You suck at it.  Just admit it, apologize for it, and move on with your development cycle. "
New Vegas kind of throws a wrench into that, doesn't it?
HumanityPlague

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HumanityPlague
@iAmJohn: Not really.  Let's be fair, Vegas is a super big expansion pack for Fallout 3, using a lot of the same assets, game engine, etc.  Obsidian just slotted in different actors, plot, quests, etc.  With Wet, Brink, Star Trek, Rogue Warrior, some dev. team was making a new game from scratch to push onto unsuspecting people.  With New Vegas, people pretty much knew they were gonna get another good Fallout game, with some busted shit in it, to be worked around.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By Little_Socrates
@iAmJohn said:
" @HumanityPlague said:
New Vegas kind of throws a wrench into that, doesn't it? "
Nah, New Vegas is definitely still a good game, it's just really buggy and is the last time they're allowed to use those engines.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn
@HumanityPlague: @Little_Socrates: Fair enough.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Brink: THE DAWN OF NEW GAMES JOURNALISM.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By zero_

This was the original article that sparked everything, note that it wasn't IGN but some VooDoo Extreme site from IGN that I've never heard of...

Uh oh, time for some drama boys and girls. I felt that Joystiq's Brink review was fishy, it almost came off as if it was written by someone that had spent very little time with the game. I was also pretty sure that Griffin McElroy was one of the editors that I played in the media game with. So, I decided to do a little digging, and confirmed that I had played with him while he was under his Xbox Live gamertag called "The Pencil Rain".
The kicker is Mr. McElroy has only earned a total Brink gamerscore value of 225, primarily from achievements that pretty much unlock themselves in the opening hour or two of play. I had over a couple hundred points just after the media playtest, and I'd imagine that's where he left off too. Xbox Live says he was playing Brink just a couple hours ago, yet again the value is 225. In my picture of his gamerscore details below you'll see that he hasn't completed either campaign, let alone the "what if" missions.

This puts a pretty big black mark on Joystiq's journalistic integrity in my eyes. If I had to guess the amount of time he spent playing it'd be a few hours at best, and from my point of view that's extremely unprofessional. But great job on that 2/5 score Griffin, way to shaft Splash Damage and Bethesda by putting in an absolute minimal amount of effort into your review

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Everyone into your bomb shelters.

This shits going down.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

LOLOLOL

Alex thinks game journalism is a "thoughtful, dignified profession".

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By KaosAngel
@Bellum said:
" LOLOLOLAlex thinks game journalism is a "thoughtful, dignified profession". "
Gaming journalism is just blogging.  At least FOX tries to be news worthy, despite being bias.  Sitting at home playing video games doesn't make you a journalist, it's a disgrace to all those people who are in Libya, Afganistan, and Syria right now. 
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Even the GB folks have admitted that game journalism has little to do with actual journalism.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zityz

I'm smelling another TOO HUMAN video...

"YO SON! WANNA TALK MESS ABOUT BRINK? YA'LL THINK YOU KNOW BETTA THEN WE DO? YA'LL GET SOME BLAP BLAP BLAP"

Avatar image for deactivated-5be09b084ef21
deactivated-5be09b084ef21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HumanityPlague said:

Rogue Warrior probably paid for Matt Perry to appear in FNV.

Well... maybe not Matt Perry... perhaps 1/3rd of Kris Kristofferson.

The sad truth is that there are long, cold winters between each Fallout and TES game & Bethesda have got bills to pay.
Do they split up their own development team to make an half-arsed, budget product and risk damaging their reputation as a developer (and possibly affect sales of their next 'AAA' title) or do they provide funding for another dev studio to do these games, protecting their creative reputation but taking acceptable splash damage as a publisher?

Fallout and TES are Bethesda's apology to us all.
Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Grimace

It's enthusiast press for the most part, not journalism. Get it right.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

From playing the game having 225 points in it can easily be gotten in about 2 hours of play. So yes..maybe he did only play 2 hours. I am enjoying the game quite a bit. 

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SomeJerk

Splash Damage made this game, it just has Bethesdas name on it..

..for good measure ;)

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Meowshi

I don't really consider video game reviews "journalism" so much, but I definitely consider gaming magazines as journalism.  Much more so than stuff like People or The National Inquirer. 

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By BabyChooChoo

It's coming from people who absolutely need to have other people agree with them in order to validate their opinions. They're insecure about their own choices, but if someone, usually in a 'higher position,' agrees with them then suddenly their choice is worth it. Fanboys pretty much. They can't accept the idea someone else hates what they 'love.' I grew out of that phase very quickly back in highschool when I realized that if you like something then other people's opinions don't mean shit simply because they're entitled to their opinions too.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oraknabo
@HumanityPlague said:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was good. The only real problem was the save system.
benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By benjaebe

It was kind of funny watching the guy completely ruin his chances of ever finding another job ever by throwing out baseless accusations that were proven false within an hour of the posting.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Crixaliz
@oraknabo said:
" @HumanityPlague said:
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was good. The only real problem was the save system. "
Lets not forget that Bethesda is publishing Rage. That looks pretty good.