Unintended Consequences of the Great GB Youtube Content Dump

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Haze

While its really great that all of GBs video content is being posted on youtube it might have been worth doing it in stages! The massive influx of videos has rendered my youtube subscription pages completely unusable. There is nothing but pages and pages of giantbomb content to the point that no other videos seem to be getting through and on the youtube front page no subscription videos are showing at all apart from one solitary Vlog.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? I've unsubscribed for now and am waiting for the videos to disappear from my feed.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By benjaebe

@Haze said:

There is nothing but pages and pages of giantbomb content to the point that no other videos seem to be getting through

I see nothing wrong with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

yeah, same ... but i'd rather they just dump it all now rather than piece-meal like you said. get it out of the way.

also, have no idea if any intern videos have gone up on that channel in the last few days, which is a shame because i've been enjoying them all.

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Haze

@benjaebe: Well it is nice to see GB content on there but youtube can't seem to handle the sheer volume of it!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By crusader8463

I unsubscribed awhile back because it was always filling that up as well, but back then it was just pointless/terrible intern content. Try unsubbing for a few weeks to let them get most of it up, then resub after? The thing I find funny about this switch to you tube is that now non subscribers can download all their videos again, so that takes away one feature for the goldies.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By rapid

Can't handle the content, don't eat. 

You could always just go to the individual subscriptions and check out what's new there. 

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By breadfan
@Haze It's part of Dave's master plan.
234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By 234r2we232

Videos are finally playing consistently! Huzzah!

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Hamz

@benjaebe said:

@Haze said:

There is nothing but pages and pages of giantbomb content to the point that no other videos seem to be getting through

I see nothing wrong with this.

OP should take note of this users fine example and follow it. You can never have too much GB content!

In all seriousness though give it a day or two and you'll find everything goes back to normal :)

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlinkyTM

I don't mind, I just click on the channels I want to see. I don't usually look at all the new videos together :P

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Chummy8

I never subscribe to anything on youtube. Hell, I barely even use the front page. I just go through google chrome.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Legend

They could've set newly uploaded videos to not publish, or made a video to warn subscribers before they did this. Sadly, they didn't think this one through.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, what channel is this? The one that I can subscribe to from the site itself? Or is that just the intern one?

n8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By n8

I also unsubbed. Let me know when things are back to normal. Sub-box spam is not something I can live with, especially when its with 1+ year old content that I've already seen.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By tmthomsen

@Haze said:

While its really great that all of GBs video content is being posted on youtube it might have been worth doing it in stages! The massive influx of videos has rendered my youtube subscription pages completely unusable. There is nothing but pages and pages of giantbomb content to the point that no other videos seem to be getting through and on the youtube front page no subscription videos are showing at all apart from one solitary Vlog.

Anyone else seeing the same thing? I've unsubscribed for now and am waiting for the videos to disappear from my feed.

My frontpage shows a maximum number of 4 videos from the same channel, so that not a problem at all.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tmthomsen
Peety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Peety

@TMThomsen:

It doesn't matter how many it shows on the front page. Youtube is pushing out all other channels because of the mass video dumb.

I'm subscribed to a few people and only 1 or 2 other channels are showing versus 10+ normally.

fujisyusuke808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By fujisyusuke808

My Youtube front page has shown Giant Bomb's youtube channel at the top for awhile now. Since my front page lists subscribed channels from most recent to least, Giant Bomb is at the top with everyone else below, but still yet the videos from other channels show up below all the same.

I don't get the people suggesting others to unsub. I can see the videos of other subs show up just fine. I just hope someone gets to go in and throw some of these into playlists like the Endurance Run videos, maybe categorize Quick Looks by year of release.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tmthomsen

@Peety: Yeah, but you must be talking about http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?

I was referring to the "Subscriptions" tab on the front page where it shows a maximum of 4 videos from the same author.

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By evilmax17

They should put the intern videos on another channel, they were already getting lost in the shuffle before this.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By probablytuna

I ain't complaining. I'm actually glad they uploaded all the Endurance Run videos on it so now I don't have to load it on the website (for some strange reason whenever I load videos from Giant Bomb all my other Internet activities comes to a halt and that only started happening this year).

Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Haze

@TMThomsen: Yep it was showing four videos from giantbomb but that was all it was showing (apart from the vlog). The point is because of what I'm assuming is a youtube bug the amount of content giantbomb was uploading was causing none of my other subscriptions to update. Or if they where that information wasn't being fed to the front page or http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Youtube has always been terrrible about that shit. Not really worth it to WM to do all that work I don't think.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EmuLeader

As multiple people have said, just use the "subscriptions" tab as your front page. Has max of 4 to 5 most recently uploaded videos and still shows all your other subscriptions in the same way. The GB channel will be at the top since it will probably be the most recently updated subscription, but it solves ALL of the problems you are describing. Super easy fix for anyone with this problem if you don't want to unsubscribe.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By MKHavoc

The only reason I subscribed to the youtube channel was so I wouldn't miss the office videos (Lemon Lens and Kessler Kam) but now there are so many videos that I can't even find those anymore. I've unsubscribed too.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By mfpantst
@Rapid: Yo I'm hungry.
Peety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Peety

@EmuLeader:

No Caption Provided

Interesting it still works for you. It completely broke my subscriptions like the other people have said. if i click load more it doesn't load any more.

I unsubscribed from the GB channel and its still broke. Google chrome btw

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EmuLeader

@Peety: I have Chrome as well. I wonder what the difference is, or if I'm just lucky? It really sucks then that is breaking so many people's YouTube pages. Sounds really annoying.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tmthomsen

@Haze said:

@TMThomsen: Yep it was showing four videos from giantbomb but that was all it was showing (apart from the vlog). The point is because of what I'm assuming is a youtube bug the amount of content giantbomb was uploading was causing none of my other subscriptions to update. Or if they where that information wasn't being fed to the front page or http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions

You're absolutely right - I'm having the same problem now.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By mike

@dudeglove said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Wait, what channel is this? The one that I can subscribe to from the site itself? Or is that just the intern one?

Ethan finally found a use for all the interns, and that is getting them to post 3 years worth of video content onto youtube. That includes the Endurance Runs.

This is the real reason for the higher number of interns this year. They're going to start dropping dead from exhaustion left and right, so reserves are needed. Ethan is a slave driver.

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By harrisonave

I don't really care, though I'm not exactly much of a YouTube user. I'm pretty sure there's a way of filtering that content anyway, isn't there? When I go to my youtube subscriptions, I don't have any of these problems. It just gives me a list of the latest few videos uploaded by each up my subscriptions. If it's that big of an issue, it might be worth taking a look at your settings.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Branthog

I didn't even realize this was going on. I was watching a video from October 25th about Crackdown 2 and I was about five minutes into it before I realized it was October 2010.

But, yes, they should definitely find a clever way to organize these. Either way, it's nice to have them on youtube and should go toward helping draw more visitors to GiantBomb. And, as we all know, youtube visitors are the best kind of new visitors to draw, because they're so reasonable and well spoken.