Valve at sonys conference one of the only Megatons at E3 IMO.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ok, what I mean by Megaton is something so random, so crazy and so unexpected that it was a "HOLY **** moment. like how FF 13 was announced for 360 two years ago. No one expected it and it sent ripples throught the internet.

I think Valve announcing portal for PS3 was one of the only real Shocking reveals I saw at E3. I mean, we knew of the strong possiblity of a 3DS, we knew of a rumored Twisted Metal, We knew about Kinect, we knew about the PSN Premium stuff potentialy happening.  

But honestly, if you posted on this board 2 days before SONYs E3 conference that Valve was going to announce Portal 2 and that they are willingly and happily deving on PS3, you would be laughed at and ripped asunder. It was the same thing as FF 13 going to 360. If you said that a few days before E3 of that year, you would be laughed at and considered a fool.

The fact is that it was hella random for Portal 2 and Gab to appear and talk up the PS3 for a change, because I remember a interview he had maybe a month before E3 he was still kinda down on PS3.

But honestly, to grasp how amazingly awesome and hillarious this is, you would have to have been a launch PS3 owner (like me) and you would have to have been following Gabes crazyness about the machine. Gabe said in 2007 (and this is a direct quote from him)

"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a 'do over'. Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it.'

Basically, he called us PS3 launch owners stupid. It is because of this that his apperance at SONYs conference was some of the best and most delicous irony ive seen in a good long while, and honestly he deserves all the Crow eating for his Shortsightedness.    

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Lunar_Aura

"The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a 'do over'. Just say, 'This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it."  Then, a month later he was probably like "Oh, the PS3's thaat one, oh my bad."

Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Duke_Lion

I will agree that it was an Oh shit moment.  But that shit pissed me off.  I cant believe Valve one of the reasons PC gaming is not dead decided to announce somthing for PS3 owners and totally ignore their PC fan base.  Fuck them.  Portal 2 is cool and looks really fun.  Its just at the bottom of my list of favorite Valve franchises.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Duke_Lion said:
" I will agree that it was an Oh shit moment.  But that shit pissed me off.  I cant believe Valve one of the reasons PC gaming is not dead decided to announce somthing for PS3 owners and totally ignore their PC fan base.  Fuck them.  Portal 2 is cool and looks really fun.  Its just at the bottom of my list of favorite Valve franchises. "
Ignore them... how exactly? He said it was going to be the best console version. Its not like he said he was completely dropping Steam for PC.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder
@Duke_Lion said:
" I will agree that it was an Oh shit moment.  But that shit pissed me off.  I cant believe Valve one of the reasons PC gaming is not dead decided to announce somthing for PS3 owners and totally ignore their PC fan base.  Fuck them.  Portal 2 is cool and looks really fun.  Its just at the bottom of my list of favorite Valve franchises. "
How did they ignore the PC? It's more that they're not ignoring the PS3 anymore. Portal 2 is still coming out on PC and Gabe seemed to imply that the PC version would be the best version.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By MrKlorox

I still fail to see how this is big news. Maybe it's because I already own two other gaming platforms that Valve always releases all their games on anyway.

Steam Cloud support on the PS3 is a cool concept but won't mean shit unless games make use of it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ryanwho

It was interpersonal drama. This is the gamer equivalent of a soap opera or a pro wrestling story arc.

Thegerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thegerman

well as far as i know his complain was that it is harder to develop for the PS3 then for PC and 360... since both are kinda made by microsoft ya know.
And oh well... I like the PS3 it's a neat console.. wish i had one.. but PC version of portal 2 will still be the best cause of Custom levels and stuff

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By RobotHamster

Definitely at the top of my list.  Sony had the best press conference IMO and Nintendo in an extremely close second with microsoft way off in the distance no where to be seen.  Seriously, Gears is the only thing I'm looking forward to to play from them. 

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By OneManX

It is one step closer to Valve being able to license their Source engine to other companies and being able to run Steamworks allowing them to update and keep the console versions current with the PC counterparts.

dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dipstick

Had a buddy of mine ask me if CS was coming to the PS3 because he heard steam was coming to the PS3 as well.  :D 

People need to realize how little of a thing Steam Cloud is.

JFetch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JFetch

People keep misquoting him. He said it will be the best console experience on PS3, not the best version. There is a big difference there. He's saying that Steamworks makes it a better experience. Other than that, they will be the same game.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By spaceturtle

I wonder about the speculation around Newell's "performance" on stage though. People said he was all awkward, and to some degree, yes, I agree. But most likely he was a little embarrassed cause of the apology he had to make and so forth. I think Valve and Newell has too much integrity start a partnership with Sony and their PS3 "only" because" of the money. I mean, he must be actually sorry that he said so much dirty things about the PS3 to actually go ahead and do something like this. It is a business they're running, I know, but still.

Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Duke_Lion

I am not implying that since they are deving for the ps3 that they are ignoring the pc.  but think of it this way.  The pc community already knew that portal 2 was coming out.  So why should we care that its going to be on ps3? They should have made a bigger announcement at E3 like Half-life 3 or shit even episode 3. Now that would be an Oh shit moment.

Duke_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Duke_Lion

The fact is that they came out with news for ps3 owners and not pc gamers.