Video content on GB, how do you find the time?

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Yodasdarkside

Genuine question, just curious. I've been a subscriber since they started offering it, because I like the site a great deal and it's far and away the best podcast I listen to. But this year I've let my subscription lapse because I just don't spend that much time on the site, and find much of the content, and I'm sorry to say this, pretty boring and not engaging in the least. I can't remember the last time I watched a Quick Look past three minutes, and even stuff which is great, like Metal Gear Scanlon, I just can't find the time to watch so many hours of it.

Anyway, how much content do you all watch, are you sacrificing anything else in favour of it, and do you find it genuinely entertaining? I ask the last question because I just tried to tune into the BLLSL and find it pretty dry stuff.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I download all the videos and usually have one playing while I exercise at home. Other than that, if I'm playing a game without much story I'll have videos going on the side.

Then sometimes on the weekend if I'm bumming around, I'll just leave some stuff going. I don't watch stuff from other sites anymore because then it got to be a hassle. So GB is the loan survivor.

So that's how.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm in the same boat I love all their stuff and I love the premium podcasts. I'll turn on upf and checkout quick looks of games I like but playing games having a job and being in a relationship doesn't leave a ton of time

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I watch the premium stuff, but everything else I listen to either while I'm playing a game (usually Spelunky or BoI: Rebirth) or while I work. I don't watch much TV, so a few hours a week for UPF, MGScanlon, Mario Party Party, etc. isn't that hard to fit in. I'll probably listen to the BLLSL archive at work when it's available. If I had a job where I actually had to think, I'd probably just stick to the premium stuff.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BBOYS2231

I usually watch GB videos during the week and forgo TV shows for the weekend.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By davidh219

It's pretty easy when you watch hardly any TV, and you don't watch other people play video games on youtube. I don't really watch quick looks though, or listen to the podcasts.

fyrtail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll usually put something on when I'm doing homework that doesn't involve many words or much visualization, or when I'm playing something story-light.

Darth-Malum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darth-Malum

Me and my girlfriend like everything on the site and we will watch GB videos the same way most people would watch tv shows!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The secret is to watch only what you're interested in watching.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I listen to the podcasts on my commute and watch the videos in between assignments and whatnot. I try and watch everything, but honestly as of late I've tried to pick and choose videos just because I'd like to concentrate on what the hell I'm going to do with my life more. So at this point I'm consuming pretty much all the premium stuff, and only watching the quick looks of games that interest me (or if they make it an enjoyable watch, which is pretty much always, haha).

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I listen to podcasts on my commute and in the office when I can (which is most of the time), and I generally will catch a video or two in the evening during the week. Weekends I will bingewatch most of the other stuff I haven't watched yet, usually while doing my laundry.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch the stuff I'm most interested while I play Starcraft, which is usually 2-3 hours a night

DASH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Usually watch just the Premium stuff, and a few quick looks of games I'm interested in or think might make a funny quick look. Basically, just like a few other people that have posted, I've resigned myself to not watching everything.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By endoworks

I put it on an extra monitor at work and mostly just listen. But I watch it like I watch tv in my free time.

1momosauky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316: this but switch working out with homework.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be behind by a week forever, but then decided to fast-forward through some QLs if they aren't interesting within the first 10 minutes.

vorsic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second monitor. I just have something on at all times when I'm using my computer or eating.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do the second monitor thing like others have said and watch them while I play games. I catch the bombcast while mowing, working out or gaming.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

When they have a lot sometimes I don't have the time and sometimes a small video backlog piles up. As they add more content it basically becomes all I have time to watch (I don't watch TV anyway). Most of the other websites or online shows I would go to have mostly either petered out or gone stale so that helps too (although there's a ton of podcasts I like listening to).

Podcasts are easy, though, because I can just put those on when doing other stuff.

There's a few stuff they do I don't have interest in, though, so it still evens out for me anyway.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I replace TV watching (aside from a few weekly shows) with GB content, which I usually watch while doing something else.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I download most of the videos and play them back at work or anytime I'm in one room for a good period of time alone. Admittedly I've had a harder time lately as a lot of the content can be rather blue and last thing I need is my toddler making that part of his lexicon.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I actually don't play many games outside of sports games and Spelunky/Isaac, so I set up my laptop beside me while I'm playing those.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I honestly don't watch a huge amount of videos, but I listen to every single podcast. I do like to download a few videos every now and then though, usually Unprofessional Fridays.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I don't have cable so that helps.

I also will be doing other things with a QL on in the background.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find I end up catching up with videos I'm interested in over the weekend mostly.

To be honest I don't really have the time to watch everything that gets posted on the site, so I tend to watch mostly the premium features and such, or quick looks that seem interesting / funny.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I used to watch a fair bit of content on the site, but I am far too busy these days to watch most of it. Plus, like you mentioned, I don't seem to find it as engaging as I used to. I think that's as much a change in content as something to do with my general personality these days.

These days I mostly just listen to the podcast and check the forums, even if I've found the community to be much more insular than I used to. I still subscribe to support the site, even if I prefer the normal podcast to the premium one.

I think a lot of it might be an age / stage-of-life thing.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I turn it on whenever I'm home that's how.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unemployment.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Castiel

I don't watch as much of it as I used to. I still watch unprofesh fridays on saturday morning, but they vary a lot in quality. Quick looks I rarely watch to be honest. The content I enjoy the most now is the premium content like Demo Derby, MGScanlon, unprofesh and the podcast.

I honestly don't know if I would care for this site if I wasn't a premium member. I don't get the same enjoyment out of their quick looks as I used to do or most of their none premium content.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There's a lot on the site I don't watch. Mainly because I'm not interested in the subject or I just don't have the time. But I like to have a backlog of videos to listen to/watch when I play slower paced games, work out, cook, clean, do laundry etc (that's how I consume most internet videos these days)

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I tend to not watch much. I usually watch Quick Looks of games I'm interested in.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By emfromthesea

I generally try to have it running in the background at all times when I'm at home. Even if I'm not paying a great deal of attention to it, it's nice to have it there whilst I'm playing a game or browsing the web.

chonkun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By chonkun

I download all the videos into my phone and watch them in my commute, work lunch break and sometimes at night at home.

The trick is to watch what you want, from premium to quick looks, then at some point, the content you like is not coming for a few weeks and this is when I catch up with old content.

Certainly every week my priority is the podcast, metal gear scanlon and UPF.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I treat Quick Looks for games I'm not interested in as podcasts and just leave them running in the background while I do other things. The videos also go up around the times I eat, so it gives me something to watch while eating, which I find is necessary because eating food is one of the most boring things in the world no matter how good it tastes. I'd rather drive a rusty nail into my tear duct than eat food without some audio or video stimulation. God damn I hate food, I only eat it because I'll die if I don't. If I could just swallow a pill that took care of my daily nutritional requirements I would because god damn, food is annoying. It takes time, it takes space, it creates mess, it creates smells, and it costs money. I don't get the appeal, and yet there are people who devote their lives to this shit. Baffling.