Wanting some Backlog Moral Support

• 52 results
Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Poll Wanting some Backlog Moral Support (50 votes)

1-5 18%
6-10 20%
11-15 24%
16-20 4%
21-25 4%
26-30 2%
31-35 4%
36-41 0%
All 42! You really believe in me to find time or give up easily 24%

Going to start with TLDR: At 1/1/20 I had a 42 game backlog. Want to get through as many as possible by 4/3/20.

With the new year and decade, I did at least some inventory of games I have purchased, games I got free for PS+, Xbox Gold or XGP that I want to play. My list is 42 games long with some large, large games on the list. I did at least some organizing of how I want to tackle/play them (not concrete by any stretch). My goal is to cross off as many of these games as I can by 4/3/20, because Resident Evil 3 Remake launches that day (already pre-purchased digital version). I only had some passing interest in the Resident Evil franchise before 2019.

After years of people telling me how good RE4 was, I got it when it came out on 360 and enjoyed it. My wife enjoyed watching me play it as well. I wasn't obsessed with it by any stretch. Afterwards, we picked up RE5 and played through together. When RE6 came out, we played through all of that together. Both of those games were fun, but again nothing spectacular. Enjoyed RE1 Remaster on PS4 and RE7. However, when RE2 Remake came out, I became obsessed. I have completed that game at least 20 times (and got the platinum) and still watch people play it on Twitch. I am so hyped for RE3 Remake, and might even take a day off work just to binge it all day.

At this point, that gives me just under 3 months to clear as many games off my list as possible. This does not mean completing them, but also trying a game for 1-5 hours and deciding I'm not having fun/it's not for me/I got out of it what I wanted and moving on forever. So, I know some of getting through these games will be tedious, and I have two pitfall distractions right now (still playing some Madden, and also enjoying CoD: MW 2019 multiplayer). So, I'm making this thread to ask for rah rah, cheer support, because I keep growing my backlog. Additionally, RE3R is the first game of 2020 that I want. While FF7 Remake looks cool, I can't get too excited about a partial story. Additionally, I have made a poll (assuming I'm smart enough to figure it out) to create some fun guessing among other GB fans. Place your bets as to how many games I get crossed off my list by April 3. Note, I have a family and job, so I'm playing 10 hours (with maybe an occasional 20) per week. Now, here is my list (with some notes because why not).

iPhone (1)

1) That Dragon, Cancer (had this on my phone since it came to iOS, but the heavy emotions have kept me from getting to it).

PS4 (20)

1) Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (already done)

2) Life is Strange Season 2 (definitely going to play all of this as I loved LiS1 and the prequel)

3) Sonic Mania (loved Sonic in the day, heard great things)

4) Days Gone (picked up for cheap, figure this is a few hours and done, but could be wrong)

5) Telltale Batman Season 2 (I'm maybe halfway through chapter 1)

6) Onimusha: Warlords (played O3 in the day, curious about this one)

7) Telltale Walking Dead: Michonne (played Season 1 & 2, plan to play whole story)

8) Telltale Walking Dead Season 3

9) Darksiders 3 (loved D1, curious about this one, didn't play D2)

10) Walking Dead Final Season

11) Yakuza 6 (LOVED Y0, YK1 & YK2)

12) Soma (curious, likely to quit after an hour or two)

13) Nioh (mostly curious how this compares to Dark Souls)

14) Detroit: Become Human (really liked Heavy Rain, thought Two Souls was ok)

15) Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Black Flag made me stop playing AC games)

16) Heavy Rain (played when it launched on PS3, wanting to play again)

17) Dying Light (I've had this since January 2015 and have not started it)

18) Final Fantasy 15 (have played all the number titles except FF14)

19) Sniper Elite 4 (free from PS+, looks like some dumb fun)

20) The Surge (curious how it compares to Dark Souls)

Xbox One (16)

1) A Plague Tale: Innocence (on chapter 8 currently)

2) Double Dragon Neon (loved DD 1-3)

3) Shenmue 1 (Dan's love of Shenmue has me curious)

4) Modern Warfare 2019 (love these campaigns as big, dumb fun)

5) Red Dead Redemption 2 (picked this up for cheap, Dan's story from GOTY 2018 scares me)

6) KOTOR (Fallen Order has me itching to play this again)

7) Crash Team Racing (loved this on PS1)

8) Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter (got it free on Gold, curious)

9) Call of Cthulhu (bought at launch, haven't gotten around to it)

10) Gears of War 4 (played a little earlier in 2019 and bailed, likely to bail again)

11) LA Noire (picked up cheap, been wanting to replay

12) Gears of War 5 (if I bail on Gears 4, this will also be a bail)

13) Metal Gear Solid 5 (on PS4 I got to the point where Quiet was in a cage at my base or something, will start over on Xbox)

14) Witcher 3 (already started this two different times, the size intimidates me)

15) Grand Theft Auto 5 (freshly on XGP, wanting to replay)

16) Shenmue 2 (if I bail on S1, will bail on this)

Switch (5)

1) Pokemon Shield (1 gym in and wasted so much time in the wild area or whatever it is called, have played through every mainline pokemon game and their updated release versions like Yellow, Crystal, Platinum and their remakes)

2) Final Fantasy 8 Remastered (my favorite game of all-time, I just started what used to be Disc 3 when Pokemon came out)

3) River City Girls (this looks fun, loved River City Ransom on NES)

4) Ace Attorney Phoenix Wright Trilogy (loved these on DS, wanted to play again)

5) Resident Evil 4 (my love of RE got me to pick up Revelations and this game. I bailed on Revelations halfway through, curious if I still even somewhat enjoy RE4)

Finished

1) Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Bailed

• 
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Prioritize the shortest games. Anything under 8 hours should jump to the top of your list

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sniper Elite 4 - Bounced off this one pretty hard. I liked Sniper Elite 3, which in addition to shooting people in the balls, was actually a better stealth game than you might expect, but 4's giant maps just made the game tedious. Also, it looks like ass. Probably pass on this or maybe get 10-15 min of fun out of the dumb/gory kills.

L.A. Noire - Worth a play, IMO. It's a rad setting with a decent enough story, and it also features one Daniel Ryckert. It would help if you're "into" that era, but it's one of Rockstar's better games.

Shenmue - I haven't played Shenmue, but don't play Shenmue. It broke Vinny in the ER. Enough said. You mentioned Yakuza 6, and those games are a MUCH better realization of the few things Shenmue did well at the time. "At the time" also being a key phrase there, as about the only redeeming quality of that game is its ambition in its day. Pass.

RDR 2 - My RDR 2 experience mirrors Dan's. There's a good game somewhere in there, but the game doesn't want you to experience it and instead wants to waste your fucking time on annoying survival mechanics and sluggish controls. I've tried to revisit it several times and still nope.

GTA V - It's an incredible world, but the campaign and the Rockstar "humor" has aged like milk. It's worth some time just driving around and getting up to your own dumb shenanigans a la Crime Crew (do NOT play online with GTA's awful community under any circumstance), but I can't say the campaign warrants a playthrough. Franklin is basically the only character that I didn't completely hate by the end of it.

AC Odyssey - Black Flag is generally considered one of the best AC games, so it maybe doesn't bode well for you playing Odyssey. Then again, Odyssey is maybe the least "AC game" of the AC games, and a bunch of people seemed to like it for that, so maybe?

That's all the advice I've got.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Just a heads-up, but Days Gone is supposed to be pretty long. I recall Mahardy saying it was something like over thirty hours in length on a Beastcast/QL or something back around that game's launch window. I was also somewhat interested in it, but that information caused me to take it off my own backlog.

Make sure to jump around from genre to genre, as you go through it (if you're not already). The variety should help you from getting burnt out on anything. Anyways, best of luck getting through your list.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#4  Edited By Slag

@ginormous76: Well don't go crazy, Push too hard and it turns into a job and you could burn out. Plus as you mentioned you got a family.

I think as long as you meaningfully decrease the size of your backlog, that's a win.

Here's what I'd suggest you tackle off your list based off your comments

Since you are already midway or playing these, First finish (either credit roll 'em or drop 'em if so inclined) these would be my suggestion

1. Plague Tale
  2. Modern Warfare 2019
  3. Final Fantasy 8 Remastered
  4. Telltale Batman Season 2

Then I'd suggest only doing 2 maximum games at any given time. 1 for your Switch 1 for XB1/PS4. Dunno if your wife is into co-op plays, but a lot of what you have on PS4 are games I know a lot of couples like to play together (LiS, Walking Dead, Detroit). Might be worth considering

I'd suggest going in order something like this for your next switch games

1. Pokémon Shield
  2. River City Girls
  3. Resident Evil 4

For your next PS4/XB1 games I'd suggest an order something like this

1. Onimusha: Warlords
  2. Final Fantasy XV
  3. Walking Dead Michonne
  4. Double Dragon Neon
  5. Walking Dead Season 3

Taste is subjective but I'd suggest considering Bailing or at least tabling on these right now, can reassess after RE3 remake

1. MGSV
  2. Witcher 3
  3. Shenume I&2
  4. Sherlock Holmes
  5. AC Odysssey
  6. Gears 4&5
  7. RDR 2
  8. LA Noire
  9. GTAV
  10. Soma

To me your stated interest in the above games sounded half-hearted or your already played them and they are long. Just chucking them off your to -do list will help it feel more manageable. You can always add them back in later if you really feel strongly about them.

What I'm trying to here is give you a mix of stuff so you get to some of the longer games you want to play, but also get some easy clears so the stack decreases. And also frontloading the 2 biggest games so that you've got time to finish them before your deadline. If you get 10+ off your backlog with only playing 10-20 hours per week (ontop of playing MP games) I think you are doing great.

Whatever you end doing I hope you have fun!

sakesushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, you have some long games on that list! Lots of good stuff, but if I were tackling a backlog like this, I would be happy getting through just a handful of these games. (I'm in a similar boat, but my deadline is Animal Crossing, and I somehow got myself sucked back into Indie Animal Cros- Stardew Valley).

Dunno how you feel about scary games, but I couldn't get anywhere into SOMA. I hear it's much more palatable for us scaredy cats when you toggle the monsters idle, turning basically into a walking sim. Haven't tried it myself, but I intend to one day!

Final Fantasy XV can be a long or short story, depending on how much side content you do. If you wanna play in the spirit of the game, it'll probly tend toward the longer end of kinda just doing whatever until you figure "that was fun, lemme go wrap this thing up!" Of course, like plenty of open world games, dropping it partway works fine, but I did enjoy the mainline story even if it isn't particularly mind-blowing.

A Plague Tale: Innocence is longer than I thought - I haven't finished it a decent number of chapters after I thought it would wrap up - but it has a really good momentum to it to carry you to the end.

Play River City Girls on Normal! Like most beat-em-ups, the increased difficulty is just number tweaking to artificially make fights longer and has actively been pushing me away from the game! Must. Drop. My. Difficulty!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BisonHero

I bet a low number, because some of those games are quite long, so if you start one of those it’ll eat up weeks of times unless you bail on it (Days Gone, RDR2, Phantom Pain, etc.)

But if you prioritize the fairly short, fixed length narrative games, you could probably cover a lot of ground (TellTale stuff, Detroit: Become Human, etc.).

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fly through those Walking Deads. The third season is a god damned trainwreck of poor writing. Michonne is a short style over substance side-story with great music (which may have been removed). The final season is seriously great and may be as strong as the first, glad it ended up getting finished.

Oh, and yeah...Days Gone is SUPER LONG, and takes awhile to really get interesting, but it was definitely one of the most underrated titles of last year.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fuck your backlog.

Mine’s a mile long, too. It’s a mile of mistakes. Only buy what you truly intend to play now. Only play what you enjoy. Don’t worry about missing out.

It’s entertainment. Play what you have time for. Buy what you can afford. Be entertained in the now. Stop playing games that don’t do it for you.

That’s how I’m living these days, and it’s a better way to do it, as far as I’m concerned.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Mix up long and shorter games. You don't want to get burnout by playing long games like Phantom Pain and Red Dead Redemption 2 back to back. Heavy Rain or the Telltale stuff could be decent starters for you. Don't feel overwhelmed though. Just play what you really feel like and don't play something just because you feel like you have to.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My backlog is pretty ridiculous at this point. I tend to buy these 30+ hour games and then give up on them after a few hours. Even if I really like them, I lose steam with them for a while and then it's hard for me to go back to as I've lost track of the story. Examples include Persona 5, Planescape: Torment, Spider-Man (PS4), Divinity: Original Sin, Witcher 3... all great games, but not ones for which I have strong desires to return to. These days I'm more likely to play something if there's not that much story so that I can listen to a podcast while I play. Tetris 99 and Slay the Spire have been my go-tos.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ginormous76

Looks like I should have grabbed the second post, as I can't find an edit button for my OP. SO, guess I'll start here. Played Sonic Mania, turns out I didn't want a new Sonic game after all.

Total 29

Finished (6)

1) Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

2) A Plague Tale: Innocence

3) Shenmue

4) Onimusha: Warlords

5) River City Girls

6) Soma

7) Telltale Walking Dead Season 3

Bailed (22)

1) Sonic Mania

2) Double Dragon: Neon

3) Life is Strange 2

4) Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled

5) Gears of War 4

6) Gears 5 (interesting that they dropped the "of War")

7) KOTOR

8) Batman Season 2

9) Telltale Walking Dead: Michonne

10) GTAV

11) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)

12) Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter

13) Darksiders 3

14) Sniper Elite 4

15) Days Gone

16) The Surge

17) Nioh

18) Shenmue 2

19) That Dragon, Cancer

20) Final Fantasy XV

21) MGSV

22) Call of Cthulhu

For those interested, I have started a list of pre-2020 games that I played in 2020 and how I have ranked them. https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ginormous76/lists/ranked-pre-2020-games-played-in-2020/367747/

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@ginormous76: Yeah, I believe the first post of a poll is locked from editing, because of it were editable it would allow you to add/remove poll choices, which would mess with the results.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ginormous76

@ginormous76: Yeah, I believe the first post of a poll is locked from editing, because of it were editable it would allow you to add/remove poll choices, which would mess with the results.

Makes sense. Other forums I'm on have the poll separate from the post, so you can edit the post.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nutter said:

It’s entertainment. Play what you have time for. Buy what you can afford. Be entertained in the now. Stop playing games that don’t do it for you.

Well said. Don't cripple your enjoyment by playing games and then being anxious to finish games because of the girth of your backlog. Just try to enjoy your downtime and relax.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and advice so far (even the drop everything and move on). I did attempt to organize my lists in a way that varies the types and lengths of games. I also do think there will be a number of games that I mostly want to just sample out of curiosity more than anything. I will say from about 2007-2011 I was an achievement hunter and it did become like a job and burnt me out. That was part of the reason I switched to PS4 (to abandon my high gamer score and not feel a need to achievement hunt). Every game on this list I spent money on, I am genuinely interested in at least playing a bit. The stuff I got free is mostly things I want to sample and might get surprised by and love. I do abandon games when I'm not having fun any more (unless I know I'm really close to the end). If I just need to know how the story ends, I'll watch it on youtube.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Specifically for Nioh, you're going to have a better time if you disassociate it from Dark Souls. The superficial similarities, but the coverage of that game was extremely reductionist by describing it as "Samurai Dark Souls."

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Play the games you enjoy and move on from the ones you don't. I realised that the reason I had a backlog is because I didn't like those games very much or shouldn't have bought them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say put off Red Dead and Witcher until after your deadline. Those games (especially RDR 2) are long and languid so trying to rush them will just make you frustrated.

I would also scratch anything you've already touched off the list and just get back to them another time, but I may be saying that because I think I voted too high; oh god why did I put so much money down on this.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything short or with a really comfy easy mode. Mine's approaching the mid 30s now which is nicely cut since last year I was around the 50 mark.

I limit mine to games I've spent money on (so no PS+ or other freebies). When it comes to RPGs, if I have the option to play it through an emulator, I do it so I can speed up grinding. With my older PS2 titles, I'm allowing myself to use gameshark cheats if I just want to content tour.

It ain't honest but it's only seen me through Killer7 (I like looking at that game but maybe not playing it) and God Hand (I ... scuffed the disc up in chapter 7 so just restarted on PCSX2 and made myself invincible).

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By echasketchers

Backlog woes are universal, you aren't alone. Prioritizing is the key for this stuff.

I'd say pick the ~5 games that most interest you and focus on them. Pace yourself and trust your moods. I really like having a roguelike or multiplayer game in the rotation for when I don't feel like playing something story driven. You mentioned COD and Madden so that's good and fine, but I'd also recommend something like Slay the Spire or Enter the Gungeon on Switch for some before bed roguelikes (actually I believe EtG is on Game Pass).

Right now I'm staring down Lightning Returns, Shadows of the Damned, Slay the Spire, Ys VIII, and Darkest Dungeon. That'll probably hold me until mid February and then I'll see what interests me after that. You can do it! Just remember to have fun :)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Justin258

I would just recommend not stressing over it. I sometimes get this backlog anxiety where I feel I need to finish everything and that's just bad for you. This is entertainment, it's OK for you to have games that remain underplayed or not played at all. Just don't buy loads of games in the future.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Just go w/ your gut. Really, play what you feel like and try not to burn yourself out. It’d be a shame if you got to April and was gamed out when REmake3 comes out.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just go w/ your gut. Really, play what you feel like and try not to burn yourself out. It’d be a shame if you got to April and was gamed out when REmake3 comes out.

So much this. And maybe work on not buying games for the sake of just buying a game. Play what interest you now, and focus on that.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427 said:

RDR 2 - My RDR 2 experience mirrors Dan's. There's a good game somewhere in there, but the game doesn't want you to experience it and instead wants to waste your fucking time on annoying survival mechanics and sluggish controls. I've tried to revisit it several times and still nope.

Don't listen to this person! ;-P The game is amazing!

Nah, I get it. It's... an acquired taste. I can't stop playing it, though (playing the pc version). I'm not a fan of survival mechanics at all, but I feel like most of the mechanics in this game don't require a lot of time (similar to GTA San Andreas). You can't actually starve and I'm really only eating to keep my cores up and refill my dead eye bar. The camp stuff I'm simply buying my way out of whenever the icons turn red. Also, I'm really enjoying the hunting, so that helps with managing the survival mechanics. Still, as with all survival mechanics, I just can't consider them fun or see the added value, so I could totally do without them.

As for the controls, to me they were only annoying when I was caught by surprise. But yes, they are very sluggish and deliberate and I can totally see why it would infuriate some people. For instance, the fact that you can't cancel out of the skinning animation is just dumb. Stuff just takes forever after you hit a button, but I guess when you're immersed, that doesn't matter as much.

As for the topic, I'll just echo:

Bonbonetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 1

My suggestion is that you ignore games you've already finished on other systems, focus on the ones you haven't completed.

Yakuza 6 - is awesome but takes a long time to complete, there's lots of fun things to do in the game-world, for me at least.

Detroit - loved the game, the pace was good, the story and gameplay kept me engaged throughout my playthrough.

Call of Cthulhu - really liked it, it has mixed gameplay elements, with stealth, action, puzzles. It kept me engaged, especially as I went for a "doomed" approach in my in-game choices. Played through it twice. If you didn't like Soma I don't you'll like this one though.

AC Odyssey - plays more like a Soulsborne game than the classic AC, if that helps. Personally I prefer the old-school AC. Odyssey a long game though.

Sniper Elite 4 - one of my favourite style of shooter, slow-paced and tactical. Not everyone's cup of tea.

The Surge - the only Soulsborne type game I enjoyed, very tactical and slow-paced .... more so than Dark Souls in my opinion. Not as lengthy as Dark Souls. I'm not naturally drawn to the Soulsborne formula so I played The Surge on and off until completion.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

You know the best way to make playing games not fun? To make them into a list of chores and pressure yourself into checking them off one by one.

Play whatever you want and forget about trying to clear an arbitrary list. Just because a game is in your Steam or PSN library doesn't mean you have some obligation to play it.

If you want to play a game, play it. If you don't, don't. Forget about trying to clear a list and just play games to enjoy them.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know the best way to make playing games not fun? To make them into a list of chores and pressure yourself into checking them off one by one.

Play whatever you want and forget about trying to clear an arbitrary list. Just because a game is in your Steam or PSN library doesn't mean you have some obligation to play it.

If you want to play a game, play it. If you don't, don't. Forget about trying to clear a list and just play games to enjoy them.

I completely understand this from my achievement hunting days. However, every game on my list I have an interest in playing. I have time until a game I REALLY want/need to play comes out, so I'm trying to play through games I already own instead of spending more money.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ginormous76

Update time! I finished A Plague Tale: Innocence and my goodness is that a fantastic game! Definitely in my top 3 for 2019 games now (RE2 was number 1 by far).

Started Double Dragon Neon, and after about 30 minutes I'm done with it.

Started Life is Strange 2, and I'm not connecting to these characters. I connected with the Dad (even though I don't have kids) and he's dead now. I connected with Chloe and Max in the other LiS games, so just going to move on.

I started Days Gone, and am about 30 minutes in (I play games while on the treadmill a lot, so 30 minutes is an exercise routine). So far, I'm enjoying it. I figured this would be a game I enjoyed for about 1-5 hours and so far so good.

laughingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I feel this topic in my bones. I've got 55 games on my Switch that I've played only a little or not at all. Any time something on my wish list goes on sale for 30-50% off I buy it almost without thinking.

I've decided not to buy any new ones until I can clear at least three or four from that list. It sounds like you're doing a good job so far, just keep doing what you're doing.

I disagree with II_exile_II here: for some of us, checklists are a way to motivate us to do something and a reward for finishing that something. Making a couple of spreadsheets to show me the scale of my "problem" was what made me decide to "fix" it. I don't see it as a chore, really. I'm not staying with something longer than it entertains me just because it's on the list. Taking something off the list feels good!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laughingman: I love making spreadsheets. A few years ago, I decided to start keep tracking of games I finished/long accomplishments (like prestiging in CoD since there is no end game or getting a platinum trophy). I wish I had been keeping this since I was a kid, because it's really interesting to look back and to see how many things I finished each year.

I also started Shenmue. About 2 hours in and enjoying it so far. I may end up sticking with this.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a spreadsheet for mine. I've bought these games with the intent to play them so, one way or another, it gets done.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Updates! I started Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled (or whatever the subtitle is). Turns out, I enjoy Mario Kart World Tour on my phone WAAAAAAY more. So, I'm going to leave the good memories in the past and not ruin them.

Played through the first two acts of Gears 4 and hated it. Started Gears 5 (which had a nice recap of Gears 4). Enjoyed the first act, but didn't want to play any more. I might be done with Gears of War.

I am booking it through Shenmue though. Thinking I might finish it this week.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ginormous76

Stumbled across a KOTOR stream on Twitch. That was all I needed to decide to leave my KOTOR memories in the past. Still working on Shenmue. I have a job now! You might say I'm in the end game now.

Also realized that I don't want to play Batman Season 2 and Michonne is not tied to the rest of the Telltale Walking Dead games. So, bailing on those two. Up to 11 total crossed off.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished Shenmue! I'm not going to hop right into Shenmue 2, but hoping to play through it before RE3 drops. Probably start in a week or two. Maybe this weekend. I am thinking I will hit up the Modern Warfare campaign next though.

Also, started playing Onimusha: Warlords. I'm really enjoying this game after a couple hours. Trying to decide if I'm done with Days Gone or going to play some more.

I started GTAV, because I wanted to do some GTA stuff. Got bored shortly in, so I'm bailing. Up to 13 games knocked off the list.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting. I had in my notes that Onimusha was around 20 hours. I looked up a bunch of my games on howlongtobeat.com. I just checked again to get a better sense and it says it's 4.5 hours (given that I like to explore, I'll call this 5-6). So, I might finish this game this week if I sit down with it.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just do what I do mate.

Agonize for 4 months over what order to play them in, spend another 2 months organizing them, and planning time on a calendar when you're gonna commit time to each game

Then launch 6 games for 8 minutes each, realize you can't be arsed, then go back to watching youtube and twitch for another year

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started Modern Warfare's campaign and played a couple levels. Maybe I'm over this type of game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm down to 34 on my list. The slow start to the year is really helping.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started and bailed on Sherlock Holmes.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Ginormous76

Started Darksiders 3. Played the first boss using both hack & slash mode and Dark Souls style mode. I guess Darksiders 1 just hit at the right time in my life and gaming log, and it's successors will never find that timing again.

Started Sniper Elite 4. I exploded some Nazi brains and testicles. After doing this a few ties, I was bored.

I'm getting close to finishing Onimusha and I'm a couple hours into Shenmue 2.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished Onimusha: Warlords this morning. Thinking I'm gonna go back to Days Gone.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I wasn't too hot on Darksiders. Around the Portal dungeon it just seemed to drag. Maybe I'm just not that into Zelda.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bailing on Days Gone.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bailing on The Surge. I was hoping it was going to be more like Cyborg Justice for some reason. Probably because of the taking enemy parts and using them aspect.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ginormous76

Played a little Nioh. Was enjoying it, then got to an armored enemy and realized, "I don't want to play this any more."

Bailing on Shenmue 2 for two reasons: 1) It's leaving Xbox Game Pass soon. 2) I got to a part where I have to raise $500 (well, $370 from where I am) and just thought, "Nah. I don't want to do that. You already took all my money to start the game, screw you."

I'm really enjoying Soma right now though. I think I'm somewhere around 60% through it.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bailing on That Dragon, Cancer and Final Fantasy XV.

TDC was not what I expected. I know it's only about two hours, but an hour in and I feel like this game would make more sense if I did drugs. I'm sorry for the creators' loss and glad they could find some relief in making this game, but not for me.

FF15 is like what happens when a company that's good at telling a story through dialogue tries to make a game that tells a story through the atmosphere like Fallout/Elder Scrolls. Except, they don't know how to do atmospheric story telling, so the game just feels like a game where you just mindlessly follow the quest marker.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished River City Girls. That was a lot of fun and a great modern-take on River City Ransom.

Bailing on MGSV. Just don't want to play it any more. I tried when it was new and just ran out of drive. Started this and realized there was a good reason I already quit.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished Soma. That was the second walking simulator (and much longer than Gone Home) that I actually got into. I enjoyed it.

Bailed on Call of Cthulhu. Got a few chapters in and it just wasn't what I wanted to play.

Avatar image for evilmonkeyslayer
EvilMonkeySlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EvilMonkeySlayer

Amateur!

No Caption Provided

But seriously, go with whatever you feel like. I bought Deus Ex Mankind Divided in 2017 because I loved the previous games. I played it for ten minutes then didn't really play it again last week. 19 hours in so far.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@ginormous76: dang man, you are doing a great job with this!

I think your willingness to bail on things has been really helpful, in keeping it fun but also reasonable

What do you have left?