Weekly Wiki Update - Saturday, July 12th 2014.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Edited By bobafettjm

I bet you thought I was not going to do one of these this week. Well guess what? I did one. Despite this week being even more busy at work I managed to do more wiki work. I ended up filling in some basic overviews and information on some empty pages, worked on the old Steam cards, and some pinball.

I noticed this week that I had passed 1500 pages added to the wiki (not counting people pages). I decided that once my schedule is lighter my first big project is going to be working on going through all those created pages and making sure as many of them are totally filled out as possible. I am not really happy with how many of them are still fairly empty, so it will be an undertaking.

Pinball!!

This week I actually got to spend some time working on some other parts of the wiki. While I have some bigger plans for when my schedule lightens up, I wanted to do a little more this week. I decided to do a little more work on getting all the pinball machines I can added to the wiki. This is a project I come back to off and on again and is pretty much an ongoing thing.

I actually found some pinball machines to add to the wiki on top of some I just edited. Here are the pinball machines I added.

Steam Trading Cards

Another week means another round of a lot of games adding Steam Trading Cards. Not as many old releases getting cards this week as there has been recently, but that also meant a lot of work on either empty pages. This week did seem to bring cards to a bunch of hidden objects games, which means I get to kill two birds with one stone.

This week there actually were not too many pages to create because of the trading cards despite 27 games adding them. As always here is a list of games that I had to add:

Another week has passed and I felt better about the amount of work I was able to complete this week. I am really itching to dig into my list of created pages and start filling those out, but in the mean time I will continue working on these games adding Steam Cards. I also noticed I still can’t seem to edit the actual Steam Trading Cards page without getting an error. Does anyone know if there is something specific I am doing to trigger it or is it because it has too many associations still?

As always I am curious as to what all of you have been up to in the wiki? I am sure @mento is still plugging away at SNES games, @hailinel is probably fixing up some poorly written text, and @blacklagoon is probably adding new Vita games.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone actually tried that Q*Bert Rebooted game? I was surprised to see it did not already have a page on the wiki. It actually looks like it could be fun.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

It isn't just because too many associations - it must be something else or a combination of too many associations and something else. I just edited a concept page with more concepts than the Trading Cards page.

Also, Jeff should totally do a QL of Q*Bert Rebooted.

I've been doing a lot of filling in info for obscure/old/obscure and old PC games. I've also continued being bummed out about the woeful state of the wiki - it seems that just not enough people care :(

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder: I know how you feel. I have been trying to get more people into it, but it just does not seem to happen. I also wish we had some more updates to what is going on with it from the other end.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#4 Mento  Moderator

Nope, nothing new from me. I didn't find the last one of these updates until a couple days ago and haven't done much since then. Very close to October '93 now, anyway.

Man, I want this wiki update to happen soon. (Also for notifications to be fixed, so I know when blogs like these get posted.) I'm optimistic that we'll get Wiki Task functionality back, and can start enticing people to get invested in it again. I've got some ideas to get people focused, though preferably I'd like those people to go at their own pace on whatever particular spheres of gaming they're into.

It's almost inconceivable to think they missed anything this last week. Even though the Summer drought is in full effect, there had to have been at least ten QLs over the past seven days. I'm sure Jeff will be stoked to tear Q*Bert Reloaded a new one once he's back from his business trip.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By Slag

@bobafettjm:

Hey dude

all I did this week was add a release. Can you believe the Original Super Mario Bros doesn't have all the releases for that game? I added the arcade edition of the game, which is where I first played it. I know there's more releases that are missing from SMB but I'm not sure where to track down reliable release info for old games like that.

I do have a different kind of contribution in mind too, but I'm debating the best way to handle it as it could be controversial.

No idea on the updating error, that is news to me.

Sad to hear you're feeling a bit discouraged, I just want reiterate I think you've done a great job with your blog. If nothing else you got nearly ~1500 points worth of contributions out of me through your blog series that wouldn't have otherwise happened. With blog notifications still being busted I think yours and a lot of great work is going unseen.

I'm sure you've heard my spiel before and are well bored of it, so I'll stop there. :)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder