What are the most powerful moments in gaming?

• 51 results
TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By TerraMantis

One time i was writing a comment on an article i read about "What makes a good video game Villain?" and I could not for the life of me remember who was the real bad guy in or how Fallout 3 ended when i was thinking of this topic and i had only recently completed Fallout 3 several weeks prior. On the other hand, i had absolutely no trouble thinking of Luca and Jowey Blight from Suikoden 2 and i had not played that game since its release something like 12+ years ago. This made me think about what it truly takes to make moments in a game that impact the audience and remain to resonate with the player for years to come after your interaction with them.

Here are some of my "most powerful moments in gaming".  They're in an order, but not a ranking order.

!!!WARNING--SPOILERS ARE MOST LIKELY CONTAINED IN THE VIDEOS!!!

1. Read Dead Redemption

After all of the events that make-up your long taxing journey through Red Dead Redemption John Marston finally gets the long awaited word to go home and reunite with his family. From the music, to the setting and ambience of the game this moment accumulated into a very special event in gaming. And the ending was even better.

2. Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow of the Colossus is just one of those games where it is hard to just pick a single moment from which to draw a point of impact on the player. This game was riddled with beauty, ambiguous narrative, and nearly flawless execution between the mediums of story telling and interactive game play. In the end though, when an unsuspecting turn of events took place the game truly etched itself into my memory forever. 

3. Final Fantasy VII
I almost hate to be cliche' by throwing some FFVII into the mix, but hey, what can i say? Classic is classic and i still will remember this moment 20 years from now. When Sephiroth kills Aeris it was tragic, moving, and enraging. You sincerely felt loss. Also, from the way Sephiroth glides down from a celestial body of light to the way Aeris' hair bead refracts light as it slowly escapes same as her fleeting life does this moment truly embodies emotion through imagery and storytelling in gaming.
4. Suikoden 2

Possibly my favorite story ever told in gaming Suikoden 2 is so filled with plot twits, betrayal, and perplexities that i can truthfully say that this moment isn't even the most impacting one of the game for me. On the other hand, it displays the game's range of events by having your once childhood friend turned antagonist join you and help you fight once again. Jowey is one of the most complex characters in gaming and he does not just do evil for the sake of evil...he, in fact, believes he is righteous and is saving his people. 

5. Mass Effect 2
The introduction to the sci-fi space opera epic known as Mass Effect 2 is by FAR one of the my most memorable and powerful moments in gaming. This tandem series of visually stunning events that opened Mass Effect 2 left me quite frankly speechless and in awe. From the heart pounding epic Battlestar Galactica-esque drums and music that had a climax only moments before my passing through the threshold of Normandy's breached to zero-gravity fuselage and its hollowed carcass of debris drifting away to the backdrop of a beautifully overwhelming planet to the way Shepard finally struggles and fades into the enormity of empty space against the perfectly placed piano cords could be one of the most understated and powerful moments in gaming history. 

An honorable mention that i couldn't find a good video for was in Wild Arms when Rudy cut off his own arm to escape...it was just badass.

So anyway, there are a few of mine. What are some of your "most powerful moments in gaming"?
TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TerraMantis

One time i was writing a comment on an article i read about "What makes a good video game Villain?" and I could not for the life of me remember who was the real bad guy in or how Fallout 3 ended when i was thinking of this topic and i had only recently completed Fallout 3 several weeks prior. On the other hand, i had absolutely no trouble thinking of Luca and Jowey Blight from Suikoden 2 and i had not played that game since its release something like 12+ years ago. This made me think about what it truly takes to make moments in a game that impact the audience and remain to resonate with the player for years to come after your interaction with them.

Here are some of my "most powerful moments in gaming".  They're in an order, but not a ranking order.

!!!WARNING--SPOILERS ARE MOST LIKELY CONTAINED IN THE VIDEOS!!!

1. Read Dead Redemption

2. Shadow of the Colossus

Shadow of the Colossus is just one of those games where it is hard to just pick a single moment from which to draw a point of impact on the player. This game was riddled with beauty, ambiguous narrative, and nearly flawless execution between the mediums of story telling and interactive game play. In the end though, when an unsuspecting turn of events took place the game truly etched itself into my memory forever. 

3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Suikoden 2

5. Mass Effect 2

An honorable mention that i couldn't find a good video for was in Wild Arms when Rudy cut off his own arm to escape...it was just badass.

So anyway, there are a few of mine. What are some of your "most powerful moments in gaming"?
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

What the fuck is wrong with you? add some fucking spoiler tags

Shitballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Shitballs

Metal Gear Solid 4: The slow deterioration of Old Snake.

Edit: So, not really one specific moment but you get the point.

Shitballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shitballs
@Ahmad_Metallic: Wait, Aeris dies? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TerraMantis

@Ahmad_Metallic

First off, i did have a spoiler warning in CAPS surrounded by !!!! if you would have actually read the article instead of just scrolling through it. Also, did you really think an article that was basically discussing "the most impacting" parts of games wasn't going to contain spoiler material? Com'on now.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@TerraMantis said:
@Ahmad_Metallic  First off, i did have a spoiler warning in CAPS surrounded by !!!! if you would have actually read the article instead of just scrolling through it. Also, did you really think an article that was basically discussing "the most impacting" parts of games wasn't going to contain spoiler material? Com'on now.

When you have an entire thread listing several spoilers, typing "spoilers ahead" doesn't cut it 
 use the spoiler tag feature and hide the big spoiler parts (the RDR video, the descriptions) inside of them. here's how you do it: 

highlight the spoiler with your mouse and hit that red circle in the editing bar
highlight the spoiler with your mouse and hit that red circle in the editing bar

And type "RDR spoiler" above the red spoiler tag (the one that will appear when you click on the red circle). That way people will decide whether or not to check out the spoilers based on whether or not they played the game 

But telling me "yo spoilers ahead" without hiding them will just make me not read your thread because how the hell do i know whether the discussed spoilers are things i already know or not?
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By JoeyRavn

@TerraMantis: No one knows what games you'll find inside a topic like this one. Maybe they have played them, maybe they haven't. I think it's only polite to hide everything concerning that game, in case someone accidentally catches a glimpse of text or something. You have better tools than "SPOILERS!!!" at your disposal. You could have done something like:

Real Ending for Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

The final puzzle, played at the same time by Akane/June and Junpei. Who could have thought a sudoku could be so moving?
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

What about the fucking spider in Limbo or the beginning of Bioshock.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

The good Mass Effect ending for me. When the fleet shows up to save the Destiny Ascension. Nothing more powerful.

Thor_Molecules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thor_Molecules

When I stepped into the vacuum of space aboard the Normandy SR1 in Mass Effect 2 on PC for the first time, it's in the first 5 minutes of the game.

I had the game 100% maxed out with good headphones on, and the gameplay was super hectic, and then you open that airlock to get to Joker.. Whoa.

Suddenly, it's dead fucking silent. The only thing you hear is Commander Shepard's breathing. Gazing into outer space like that, blew my mind entirely. I could almost feel the vastness and epic scale of the black void, really powerful stuff. I am a massive sci-fi nerd though, so that might have helped.

That entire beginning of the game is pure poetry. When I got to the ME2 title logo, with the piano music, I could only whisper "ho-ly shit."

Edit: I just saw this exact moment was posted already.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TerraMantis

@Ahmad_Metallic 

Happy?

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Scooper

The end of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 was a very powerful moment for me. I felt the desperation and sadness of the characters like I had never before in a game, mostly due to the terrific voice work and character buildup up to that point.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By laserbolts
@Mr_Skeleton Not trying to be a dick at all but what about the spider in limbo makes it the one of the most powerful moments in gaming?
broqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By broqz

i'd say about 2 hours into MGS 2 when u start to realise your not going to play the game as  Snake. 

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@laserbolts: More than the Aeris moment in my opinion.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By applet0n
@crusader8463: You win this thread.
Hot_in_rhinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hot_in_rhinos

Some of my most memorable moments in gaming would have to some of these.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By nintendoeats

Yo, the two-part ending sequence in Bastion. That was pretty god damned amazing.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TerraMantis

@nintendoeats
 I've only played the demo of Bastion, i liked it quite a bit but i can't spare the cash with so many promising games on the way like; Deus Ex:HR, Gears3, Dark Souls, Batman:AC, Skyrim, LotR: WitN, Risen 2. Just can't spare it for an arcade game right now.  I want to though.

@buckfitches
 Yeah, i did. I am happy to see someone else spotted the same moment as i did. I actually got slight chills reading your description of it. =)
I think i just stood out in the vacuum for like five minutes the first time i did that part of the game.

@laserbolts
I had the same thoughts. The thoroughness of the response perfectly clarified exactly why.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By groin

Whenever I would shred the enemy flag carrier in Quake 2 CTF with a Quad Damage chaingun.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By linkster7

Finishing the Anju and Kafei quest line in Majora's Mask still sticks in my mind.

Probably wouldn't be as good If had failed at the end and had to start over, but luckily I remember finishing it with seconds to spare first time around so that probably added to the moment.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dunchad

@TerraMantis: I totally agree with ME2 and FFVII ones - those're among the best for sure.

I usually remember the atmosphere of a game rather than any specific moments - like I really loved SMT: Nocturne for it's atmosphere. I can still remember how it made me feel. But there is one moment that comes to mind:

In KotOR, you can force an wookie to kill it's best friend, if you're playing an evil character.

Despite playing an evil character, I had to go back and reload a save to undo this. It was just way too horrible - the way she believed in me until the end and then I did that... I can't think of anything that I've ever done that has made me feel so bad as that did.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coakroach
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#25  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Dunchad: Zaalbar is a Wookie, not an Ewok. I was really confused for a second there because I didn't remember any Ewoks in KOTOR.

A lot of the best ones have already been mentioned. Perhaps the best one of all still has not.

Being forced to pull that trigger on the greatest patriot alive? A landmark moment in games for me. The moment I realized games could be art. I fell in love with this game, which is a large reason I hate MGS4 so much; I take MGS3 so seriously because it allows for that, while most of MGS4 is just completely insane. The best parts of MGS4 (the microwave chamber and the boss fight after, really) still demand the emotional attachment and "this is serious" attitude MGS3 maintained throughout most of it, though, so I'm not really sure how I was supposed to be playing the sequel. I probably played MGS3 five or six times, but it was never easy to pull that trigger.

Dunchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dunchad

@Little_Socrates: Right - well, close enough I guess. Both are hairy and have 'w' in their name.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Surkov

MGS3 -The Boss  

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Yanngc33

Where is the "Snake is a hot pocket" scene from MGS 4?
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Example1013

The Force Unleashed. The whole thing. This is the only correct answer. You guys can have your opinions, but know that they're wrong.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

The last hour of Silent Hill 2
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Brians

The End of Earthbound

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Megaman is your dead brother.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@TerraMantis said:
@Ahmad_Metallic   Happy?
Good spoiler tagging job! 

sorry for the swearing, but opening this thread was quite the spoiler overload.. not cool ;p
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By yinstarrunner

My mind immediately falls back to that scene towards the end of bioshock with Andrew Ryan. So amazingly well done.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EVO
@Dunchad said:

I usually remember the atmosphere of a game rather than any specific moments - like I really loved SMT: Nocturne for it's atmosphere. I can still remember how it made me feel.  

This is how I feel about Alan Wake.  

I played the whole game as if I were in Alan's shoes - walking everywhere, just taking it slow and soaking in the atmosphere. Moments like 
took most people minutes, but for me, walking there felt like hours. So when I finally made it back to town it was all the more powerful.
Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By buneroid
TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TerraMantis

Here is another great one.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zeforgotten

Not again with the Final Fantasy stabbing that whore, thing! That part wasn't sad or "a powerful" moment at all. People just keep brining it up since it's the only thing they remember fans talking about in the game because it has "big sword stabs a bitch" in it.

The strongest moment of Final Fantasy VII is still when Nanaki (fine, Red XIII -.-) finally figures out about his father, anyone who's played the game knows that. Only sad thing about the bitch getting stabbed is the fact that you wasted time leveling her up and giving her items that are now gone... If only she had died earlier

You're right, I didn't put a spoiler tag in there, if anyone still cared about Final Fantasy VII spoilers then they would probably already have played the game.

Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lemmycaution217

@Linkster7 said:

Finishing the Anju and Kafei quest line in Majora's Mask still sticks in my mind.

Probably wouldn't be as good If had failed at the end and had to start over, but luckily I remember finishing it with seconds to spare first time around so that probably added to the moment.

Definitely one of my favorite moments of Majora's Mask. I remember it so well because it was the final side quest I had to finish in the game. It made me so anxious at the very end.

TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TerraMantis
@ZeForgotten said:

Not again with the Final Fantasy stabbing that whore, thing! That part wasn't sad or "a powerful" moment at all. People just keep brining it up since it's the only thing they remember fans talking about in the game because it has "big sword stabs a bitch" in it.

The strongest moment of Final Fantasy VII is still when Nanaki (fine, Red XIII -.-) finally figures out about his father, anyone who's played the game knows that. Only sad thing about the bitch getting stabbed is the fact that you wasted time leveling her up and giving her items that are now gone... If only she had died earlier

You're right, I didn't put a spoiler tag in there, if anyone still cared about Final Fantasy VII spoilers then they would probably already have played the game.

I'd feel like quite the tool if i changed they way i thought based solely off of some random person's opinion, but i will not deny the fact that Red was by far my favorite character. That being said, i don't believe the moment you're speaking of stuck with me quite as much. On the other hand, Red would definitely would get my second spot.
Hot_in_rhinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Hot_in_rhinos
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Example1013 said:

The Force Unleashed. The whole thing. This is the only correct answer. You guys can have your opinions, but know that they're wrong.

I got really bored of that game near the end. The end was fine but it seemed to really drag itself there.

I gotta go with the Mass Effect series or FFX, the last FF game I played.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie
spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By spankingaddict

Metroid Prime - fighting Ridley

System Shock 2 - just plain the ATMOSPHERE

God of War franchise - Some of the huge boss fights

just to name a few....

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By striderno9

Off the top of my head, of course Aeris' death in FF7. The ending to Prince of Persia 2008. Heavy Rain, when one of my characters died in a burning building. The way Red Dead almost ended as well.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Example1013

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Example1013 said:

I got really bored of that game near the end. The end was fine but it seemed to really drag itself there.

Did you try to clear all the rooms? That might be your problem. The game really drags if you don't critical path the last level, but it's incredibly easy to avoid probably 90% of the enemies.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@Example1013 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Example1013 said:

Did you try to clear all the rooms? That might be your problem. The game really drags if you don't critical path the last level, but it's incredibly easy to avoid probably 90% of the enemies.

That may have been it. It's been a long time so my memory is fuzzy but I believe I went after all the lightsaber crystals.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Example1013

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Example1013 said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Example1013 said:

That may have been it. It's been a long time so my memory is fuzzy but I believe I went after all the lightsaber crystals.

Oh god, no wonder you found it tedious. On slow run throughs it's taken me at least a couple of hours to collect all the holocrons on that level. I'd say you should replay the game and just not go out of your way looking for the last couple of crystals, just to give the game a fair shake.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50  Edited By Deranged