• 113 results
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Afroman269

I think it was back at Gamespot where I heard about Jeff and Ryan looking into starting up a site. I started following that progress back when this thing was basically a blog.

How did you become aware of this site's existence?

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By emergency

My friends talking about the bombcast, I was like whats that? and here I am.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Deusx

When I heard about the gamespot drama I started looking for info on what Jeff was going to do next so I started listening to the Arrow Pointing Down podcasts and eventually watched as Giant Bomb started growing from a concept to a real website.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Word of mouth through Gamespot during the sites creations. I created a profile then, but didn't actually start posting regularly and checking out the content till 2009.

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheDoorman

Yeah i had a gamespot account for awhile than when I heard they were starting a site, I went to giantbomb, and I've been here since the "How To build a Bomb" days

RWL_MU_OSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By RWL_MU_OSU

Looking for gaming podcasts because I had  a lot of time on my hands at the time.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 71Ranchero

Video content.  

Also Gertsmangate yadda yadda. 

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Aronman789

Cracked.com article.

ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ToxicFruit

It got mention on On the spot so i checked it out

Noccee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Noccee

@Afroman269 said:

I think it was back at Gamespot where I heard about Jeff and Ryan looking into starting up a site. I started following that progress back when this thing was basically a blog.

How did you become aware of this site's existence?

It was basically the same for me. I always checked Jeff's game reviews on Gamespot, and after his last review on that site kinda forgot a little about it. Until google saved my day when I wanted to know what happened to that unbiased reviewer. and I found the blog that were the beginning to the giantbomb :)

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I have been trying to remember exactly how I ended up here for a last month or so.

With the combo of quicklooks, bombcasts, and original content I fell in love with the site and have totally dropped all other gaming websites in favor of giantbomb.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Slaker117

I used GameSpot as my main gaming site and heard about Jeff's firing through the forums. I wasn't really that attached to the staff back then, but with all the speculation about the Kane and Lynch review, I decided I wanted to stop supporting the site. I migrated over to 1UP and was happy enough there until the UGO buyout, at which point I needed another gaming site to main. I tried IGN, but absolutely hated their layout, so I left. I had remembered hearing about Giant Bomb at some point, so I went and gave them a shot, realized that it was Jeff's thing, thought that was really cool and stayed.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By MysteriousFawx

A friend telling me about the original Endurance Run when it had just started.....that was during my first year of Uni...god I feel old....

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By KarlPilkington

Looking up videos for Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, found the Quick Look, boom.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I beat Persona 4

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King

Can we get a count on how many people answered "GameSpot"? I count, too, of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I was listening to a podcast doing their best games of the year and someone mentioned Persona 4 and the Giantbomb Endurance Run. I watched a few episodes, got hooked and have been here since.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By myke_tuna

Became a fan of the Gamespot crew (especially what would become the Giant Bomb crew) and then the whole fiasco happened and I started following Jeff on his page which then led me to the Giant Bomb blog and here I am. Signed up as soon as I could and left Gamespot behind.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Marz

When i went to gamespot one day and noticed that most of my favorite reviewers weren't there like Greg Kasavin, Jason Ocampo, and Jeff weren't there anymore (granted i wasn't a casual gamespot member, i just went there for reviews maybe once or twice a year).  So i went internet researching and tried to find out what they were doing and found Giantbomb in the process.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Kazona

@Video_Game_King said:

Can we get a count on how many people answered "GameSpot"? I count, too, of course.

Me too, me too!

Followed Jeff and Ryan from GS to Arrow Pointing down, then joined Giant Bomb as soon as it went live, and I am still here, so obviously they're doing something right. Either that, or they've been brainwashing me through their podcast with subliminal messages.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kidman

I had no idea so few people were listening to arrow pointing down podcast and so on. Wasn't on the spot really popular?

So yeah, Jeff Gerstmann.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

I found out from an article somewhere that described GB is kinda like Gamefaqs/IGN for mature gamers, and yeah it's definately the case.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Afroman269

@Video_Game_King said:

Ya, I'm guessing that the initial base of users when this site began was mostly former Gamespot users.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By ApolloBob

Gerstmann.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

I started listening to the Hotspot in early 2007 and when Jeff left, I was like whatever. Then I realized that I didn't find the hotspot interesting without Brad, Ryan, Vinny, and Jeff adding color. So I stopped listening to the Hotspot and started listening to the Sarcastic Gamer podcast, that was a mistake. Anyway, during this time (the dark days of SG), I stumbled upon the bombcast in December of 2008 and listened to the latest episode which was the Spike VGA episode with the cereal bar bit. I thought that was hilarious, but for some reason I stopped listening. Then sometime in about September of 2009 I went to listen to the bombcast because I had not listened to a gaming podcast in a really long time. Then I started watching the office videos, then I started watching the quick looks, then I started reading the reviews. The rest is history.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Catarrhal

I'd been a GameSpot user for over ten years--that is, until Jeff's firing by JOSH LARSON.

Froghourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Froghourt

Like a lot of other people I was a big time Gamespot user (had a subscription there too) but left when all that Kane and Lynch stuff started. Then I heard about Jeff and Ryan regrouping here and have been following it ever since.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Animasta

I forget

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Quacktastic

Everyone got canned at 1up and I needed a new game site to read that wasn't just a news feed.  I never followed them at gamespot, but I should have.

Avatar image for james_ex_machina
James_ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By James_ex_machina

IGN was my gaming site. On occasions I would visit gamespot and read reviews but that was about it.

When the Scandal Gerstman hit digg I was intrigued by the story and the community backlash. Occasionally I would do searches to see if Jeff was spilling the beans on what really went down... Those searches brought me to GB. I checked it out a few times but it wasn't until I got into the Bombcast that I really checked out all that GB had to offer. I'm been following the podcast for about 2 and a half years. I've started visiting the site more and more. The live E3 wrap shows in 2010 is were the thing that started me on the quests which lead me to visit 20X times a day and being a paid member.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By rjayb89

Heard about this Gerstmanngate thing, then visited this site in October 2008, made an account then. Didn't do much until I watched a random video of the Endurance Run, and now I'm posting about it here.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By hanktherapper

One day I wondered what Jeff Gerstmann was up to since Gamespot fired him so I googled his name which lead me here. I think the site was about six months old when I did that.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hockeymask27

Posted the answer to this in like 10 other identical threads. Forget the lie I was going with. I'll just say since day 0 I was stalking Jeff.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By cap123

mega64 talked about a convention where their booths were close i think, and linked to that interview video with them in it. It was about two years ago i think.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Add another one to Gamespot. Started reading the site way before I started commenting though.

BionicRadd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BionicRadd

I heard about the thing with Jeff and was really impressed by his handling of it.  After hearing Bombcast referenced on more than a few gaming podcasts Id listened to, I decided to give it a listen.  That's pretty much been it for me.  I listened to the show for a month before I finally gave the site a chance.  I still don't spend a ton of time on the site, but I love Bombcast.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38  Edited By ajamafalous

Gamespot.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By PhatSeeJay
  1. Followed Jeff's blog when he got fired
  2. Watched to his Points segments when one was released
  3. Read there about the project he was starting up with Ryan
  4. Started listening to podcasts
  5. Followed and began following their project to build a bomb.

So Jeff.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By groin

The Farmville videos.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#41  Edited By elyk247

I saw Jeff got fired, and was pretty upset. I wanted to know why he was, but there wasn't much news. I went to Ign after learning the staff left from Gamespot. I stayed there until January 2009 when I saw Giantbomb as the topic on a forum and clicked it. I was pretty amazed that the old crew had started a new website.  
I didn't like it much at first......, but soon the hilarious quick looks and Mailbags sold me. 

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

The quicklook of Dragon Age: Origins pretty much.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By MetalBaofu

I honestly don't remember.    I never really went to any game site much before Giantbomb.   I remember hearing about the the mess that went down at Gamespot.  I guess I may have googled Jeff and/or Ryan one day or something.     All I can say is that the reason I stayed once I found Giantbomb is the video content/bombcast.   I've never been too big on reading reviews.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By nintendoeats

I listened to every Hotspot up until a year and change after Jeff got fired. At some point I stopped listening to podcasts and kind of stopped following games (not playing them of course). A friend introduced me to GB and I kind of ignored it for a while. I'm not even sure what started me coming here, but one day I just said "fuck it" and copied my entire game collection over from GS to GB (which took about 3 days going on and off). And that, as they say, was history.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Seesic

I had seen a few QLs after searching for content for new games and watched a handful of them. And then later when i was looking around for a few new podcasts i found the Bombcast and was hooked. But I didn't sign up until about a year ago because I was never much for posting.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By uniform

The Spirit Wolf.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By laserbolts

Like I've said in the fifteen other exact threads like this Gamespot.

JaediMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JaediMaster

My brother (CornbredX) started showing me videos back in 2009 and I opened my account in 2010 when I finally had internet on my computer. My tale is dull and simply one of word of mouth.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By iam3green

gamespot, and a new website to talk about video games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pussy.