What constitutes a "real" gamer?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By ssj4raditz

This stems from something that happened to me yesterday. I was, as I often do, wearing a stylish, but not overtly-nerdy shirt with a video game reference on it. (in this case, a moogle from Final Fantasy) Well, a few of my friends and I decided to spend the afternoon together. As we were enjoying our fellowship, one of my buddies, D.C., asked me what was one my shirt. I said, "Why, it's a moogle, of course." His response was, "what's that?" I exasperatedly explained that it's something from the Final Fantasy series. He responded with, "oh, well how was I supposed to know that?" I dais, "I don't expect you to, since your not a real gamer." I guess at this point I need to explain something. This guy does play games. Specifically, Call of Duty. He's dabbled in other things, like Need for Speed and Borderlands, but almost exclusively it's CoD for him. That's all I ever see him playing when he's on Xbox Live. Now, my crack about him not being a "real" gamer was sort of in jest, but it got me thinking. Does a person who plays only one type of game/franchise/single game deserve to be called a "real gamer" or, for that matter, a "gamer", period?

My whole point, I guess, is that, to me, I can't understand why someone would go and purchase a game machine ($300-$600 worth of hardware) to just play a single game/genre of games. Maybe I'm just old fashioned? It's like anything else for me. I like variety. Going to the same restaurant gets old after a while. Oh sure, it's your favorite, but how can you stand eating there every day? Try something new, perhaps you'll find out that that "favorite" isn't what it's all cracked up to be.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

Well he should exist in a physical space for one....

oh and you sound like a snob, let your friend play what he wants

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

Do they play video games? If yes, then they are a gamer. Just because some one doesn't play every game that comes out like some of us do doesn't mean they are any less of a gamer- just less informed and experienced gamers. Some people only watch certain kinds of movies, listens to certain kinds of music and reads certain kinds of books. That doesn't not make them any less of  movier/musicer/booker.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

If he plays games, then of course he's a gamer. What kind of question is this?

Of course we could just not label people as well. Seems like the best solution.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

Real gamers don't use the term "real gamer".

But seriously, I suppose the people you're talking about have knowledge of video games that they've never played. The only Final Fantasy games I've ever played to completion are IV and XIII, and I don't have any memories of moogles in those games, but I still know what they are, I'd 'understand' your t-shirt. By talking to other 'gamers' online, and reading what they have to say, I would probably get all sorts of reference's to games I've never played. Maybe that's part of what makes a 'gamer' real. It's not just enough to play what's popular at the time, but you should be familiar with the history and culture surrounding games.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I dunno, I find something there's something really fake about people who feel the need to advertise their supposed intelligence or love of something with an item of clothing. 

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By probablytuna
@crusader8463 said:
" Do they play video games? If yes, then they are a gamer. "
This.
Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tally_Pants

I have a friend who only plays NHL and Battlefield. He's not a gamer and doesn't think of himself as one. He only plays these games when he's hanging out with other people and bought his Xbox360 off of Kijiji only after his roommate with one moved out.
But I do consider myself a "real gamer", I've played more videos than I could possibly care to count, from the NES to all the Current Gen systems and my brand new 3DS (which i love, completely hooked on SSF4 right now). And I do 99.9% of my gaming offline, playing SSF4 on my 3DS the last two weeks is the most online gaming I've done since TheZone.com shut down its Age of Empires servers...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Red12b
@TooWalrus said:
" Real gamers don't use the term "real gamer".

"
indeed

Grow up
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan
@SeriouslyNow said:
" I dunno, I find something there's something really fake about people who feel the need to advertise their supposed intelligence or love of something with an item of clothing.  "
Woah, back up there friend.  Are you takin a crack at my closet collection of Affliction t-shirts and sometimes hats?  Because I'm a nice guy, but I will go there.  Hard.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By thatfrood

Nothing, and stop saying that.

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Genjai

They have to refer to themselves as "dude-bros".

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A gamer is someone who has FUN in gaming.
That's the principle for me anyway, anyone taking stuff to serious or who's mental about collecting stuff is more of a well...collector!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

Having diabetes.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

People who are 14 years old or douche bags are "real gamers" all the other are just people who enjoy playing games.

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ClaritySam

I've been playing games for over 20 years and I've never heard of a Moogle. OP is silly.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By captain_clayman

people who only play cod are annoying to me.  it's like, you bought an xbox and you'll only play one game?  there's SO many games of different shapes and sizes and genres that he's missing out on.

JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JakeLogan

I wouldn't say that crusader8436.  Does playing Halo on the weekend make the frat-house tea-bagger a gamer?  Does an awkward girlfriend going a few rounds in Streetfighter, just so she can try and fit in maker her a gamer?

Calling yourself a gamer implies a level of dedication.  Calling oneself a "real gamer" may be a misomner.

The friend that ssj4raditz mentions goes for the FPS afficionado angle and suffers from a  general knowledge of gaming.  Even if your not into certain genres, as a self-aware gamer you just inherit that knowledge by proxy.  Is it what we know that defines a real gamer?  Or is it what we DON'T know?

But  then for someone like me, I shun sports and driving titles - they just don't jive with me.  I play almost every other genre, having recently added fighting games to my repetoire.  Am I a real gamer because I know a Hadoken from a Shoryuken? Am I NOT a real gamer for not having played the latest "pigskin sim"? 

I'm more hardcore than most of my friends, and the ones that rank higher than me are PC purists who look down on my console habit.  Am I not a real gamer because I refuse to kit out my rig and play WASD style? Are they real gamers for hosting LAN based frag-fests?

Unfortunately, I feel myself coming back to the "Casual/Hardcore Gamer" continuum, where based on the depth and breadth of gaming experience designates you a title on that range.  As cliche as it may seem, it's about as accurate as the gaming community has come since it's inception.

But at least you avoid ruffling feathers calling out someone for not being a "real" gamer :)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King

Spend a lot of time on games, I guess?

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

"Real gamers" is a stupid term. If he plays and enjoys call of duty he is a gamer. He does not need to know what Actraiser or a moogle is.
ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ssj4raditz
@blacklabeldomm:  I wasn't trying to sound snobbish, and I would not force him to play anything he doesn't want to. He has fun with what he's got.

@JJWeatherman: I just wanted to see if this sparked any conversation about how the term "gamer" is defined. apparently, it did! Also, yes labels can hurt, but it makes me feel better knowing I know what to call someone or something, as long as it's not hurtful to them. Then again, maybe it would be better to drop terms and just be...

@SeriouslyNow: The thing about that is that I wouldn't call it "advertising". I just wear what I want, and let it speak for itself. If someone feels compelled to ask me about it, then I have the pleasure of informing them of the reference.

@TaliciaDragonsong: Good point there. Fun is integral!

@ClaritySam: You're silly! :p
JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JakeLogan
@Brendan:
I second that motion, it's on like Donkey Kong
Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deeveeus
@ssj4raditz said:
" This stems from something that happened to me yesterday. I was, as I often do, wearing a stylish, but not overtly-nerdy shirt with a video game reference on it. (in this case, a moogle from Final Fantasy) Well, a few of my friends and I decided to spend the afternoon together. As we were enjoying our fellowship, one of my buddies, D.C., asked me what was one my shirt. I said, "Why, it's a moogle, of course." His response was, "what's that?" I exasperatedly explained that it's something from the Final Fantasy series. He responded with, "oh, well how was I supposed to know that?" I dais, "I don't expect you to, since your not a real gamer." I guess at this point I need to explain something. This guy does play games. Specifically, Call of Duty. He's dabbled in other things, like Need for Speed and Borderlands, but almost exclusively it's CoD for him. That's all I ever see him playing when he's on Xbox Live. Now, my crack about him not being a "real" gamer was sort of in jest, but it got me thinking. Does a person who plays only one type of game/franchise/single game deserve to be called a "real gamer" or, for that matter, a "gamer", period?My whole point, I guess, is that, to me, I can't understand why someone would go and purchase a game machine ($300-$600 worth of hardware) to just play a single game/genre of games. Maybe I'm just old fashioned? It's like anything else for me. I like variety. Going to the same restaurant gets old after a while. Oh sure, it's your favorite, but how can you stand eating there every day? Try something new, perhaps you'll find out that that "favorite" isn't what it's all cracked up to be. "
Would you not call a footbal player, who only plays football, an athlete? 
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GunnBjorn

Although I'm selective about the games I play and haven't been hooked up to Xbox Live, I still consider myself a gamer. Nothing excessive, just for the fun of it. I want to enjoy games, not necessarily excel in them.     
Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Deeveeus
@captain_clayman said:
" people who only play cod are annoying to me.  it's like, you bought an xbox and you'll only play one game?  there's SO many games of different shapes and sizes and genres that he's missing out on. "
You have to remember, for most people gaming is only a light hobby among many so they only play a few games for a little while, so they only stick to a few games they will actually play. My bro usually only ever plays NHL, Madden or Lego Harry Potter and the like (Random I know :P), but I wouldn't expect him to buy copies of Dragon Age and the like if he won't play them. I will concede my old Halo 3 roomate drove me nuts, but only because I grew tired of the standard Xbox live bs
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By penguindust
@TooWalrus said:
" Real gamers don't use the term "real gamer"
Well put.  

Rather than trying to build barriers, extend bridges.  It might be incomprehensible to you, but there are lots of folks who spend a lot of money on just one game.  Hell, look at World or Warcraft not to mention all the expense required for real world activities.  How much would you spend just to play tennis, golf or surf?  I suggest you offer to loan him one of your games next time he inquires about a game related subject.  Don't put any pressure on him either way, just offer and say it's up to you if you're curious.  

Yes, there are levels of commitment to any hobby but that doesn't mean that someone with less experience or expertise is any less a participant.  If your friend likes to play games, then he is a gamer, just as if he likes to go to the movies, he's a movie-fan.  
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By gamefreak9
I think since the term casual gamer is going around, its probably relevant to use it... 

It's kind of funny, how people here are like, if you play games, your a gamer(i agree). Because when i used to hang out with "cool kids"  they were like, "i smoke but i am not a smoker, you have to own a pack of cigarettes to be an official smoker." I think the Gaming community is much more coherent than others, i am proud this day!!

and this:
@TooWalrus said: 

" Real gamers don't use the term "real gamer".

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@JakeLogan said:

"I wouldn't say that crusader8436.  Does playing Halo on the weekend make the frat-house tea-bagger a gamer?  Does an awkward girlfriend going a few rounds in Streetfighter, just so she can try and fit in maker her a gamer?"

I have experience with this analogy. It was a horrible moment and one I'd never like to revisit.
The only game I ever enjoy playing with my girlfriend is Crash Team Racing, which we haven't done in about 2 years. Bar a spot of Zack and Wiki, I don't think we'll ever really play games together.

Also: 'real gamers' worship Ken. That is the only stipulation.
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I don't think "Gamer" is some sort of honorific to be earned and I think when you start talking abut "real gamers" you start leaning towards an unsettling level of elitism. Yes, some people have a much greater knowledge, skill, or passion over video games than others, but this isn't something we should judge people by in general and I feel when your only options for defining a games consumer are "real gamer"/"not real gamer" then you're being very reductionist about the issue anyway.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By EpicSteve

I guess a gamer is anyone who designates videogames as their prime hobby. There are things I'm into such as movies, but I wouldn't consider them a major part of my life. Therefore, my knowledge on actors and specific titles are minimal. 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Skald

Arbitrary Moogle knowledge constitutes a real gamer.

I mean, obviously.
NorthSarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By NorthSarge

I feel like this situation is like when someone listens to only the popular songs a band has and not any of the other tracks on the cd. just because they listen to the one song most people would say that they "like that band" when in reality they only know a couple of songs by the artist. 

Just because he doesn't expand his video game horizons past Call of Duty doesn't make him any less of a "gamer" he still plays (probably a lot) of video games. 

This reminds me of the time when i refused to go on blops (to join a group of people i normally played CoD with since CoD4) and instead play another game that has been sitting on my shelf. I got a bunch of messages asking to play and the next time i went on i noticed there was a kid they got to take my place in the group who then got kicked so i could play. this person was quite angry and said "COME ON HE'S NOT EVEN A REAL CALL OF DUTIER!"      Which is now a running joke between me and my friends.

my point. there are other games besides the popular ones.... but not everyone sees the point in spending their time elsewhere.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Slaker117
@EpicSteve said:
" I guess a gamer is anyone who designates videogames as their prime hobby. There are things I'm into such as movies, but I wouldn't consider them a major part of my life. Therefore, my knowledge on actors and specific titles are minimal.  "
This makes sense. As much as everyone gets bent out of shape over labeling people "gamers", there is a distinction between someone who's wired in and knows about the industry and someone who's knowledge is limited to the handful of games they play. It's not an elitist thing, not in my eyes at least. It's simply an acknowledgment of the segment of people like us, who would spend time on a video game website, is not the same audience as people who only play CoD. Not that I don't play CoD.

We are "enthusiast" as opposed to only "game players".
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone that doesn't just  play mainstream games ,Madden,COD,Halo, ect.Also someone that follows games watches trailers gameplay videos knows the devs and publishers and there track record.As stated in this thread enthusiast about games.Knowing stuff that the casuals doesn't care about or have no knowledge about such as framerate,Ati Aliasing V-sync ect..

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By Chummy8

If you're under 20, you are not a real gamer. 

That said, it is an arbitrary name to call someone.  Who cares?  If you play games, you are a gamer.  It doesn't matter if you play 1 game or 100 games, it's all the same.

I knew a few people who claimed to love music but had no idea who sang Stairway to Heaven.  That doesn't mean that they don't like music, only that they are not as knowledgeable about it as others. 
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By melcene
@ssj4raditz: We have a friend like that - he only plays Call of Duty games, and will occasionally touch a Halo game.  When we game him crap recently about how the only game he plays is Blops, he replied that he'll play another game.... when they come out with a new Call of Duty.  And I may be in the minority here, but I know exactly what you mean by the term that has everyone up in arms.  That's like, I certainly wouldn't call these stay-at-home women who do nothing but play Facebook Zynga games "real" gamers.  But that's just me.
IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By IBurningStar

If someone doesn't consider gaming as one of their real hobbies, then they aren't a real gamer.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

Terms like "Real gamer" kinda put me off. It's kinda nonsense. 

npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By npeterson08

Real gamers don't use the term "gamer."

pikeplacer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By pikeplacer

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By keyhunter
@ssj4raditz:  Not knowing what a moogle from final fantasy is hardly makes someone less than a real gamer. Final Fantasy being completely whack and all.
Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mirado
@JakeLogan said:
"I wouldn't say that crusader8436.  Does playing Halo on the weekend make the frat-house tea-bagger a gamer?  Does an awkward girlfriend going a few rounds in Streetfighter, just so she can try and fit in maker her a gamer?
I think those scenarios fall into two different catagories. The former I would call a gamer, the latter not. Why? I define a gamer as someone who chooses video games as their preferred distraction on a (semi)consistent basis. Playing Halo on the weekend once and then never again wouldn't qualify, but if you play it with some sort of frequency when presented with other things to do, then sure.

Also, I don't like the term "gamer". Do we call people who like books "readers" or TV "watchers" nearly as often as we call someone a gamer? Why the label? I'm not saying it's a negative to use the title on yourself, but I don't. I've been playing since the Intelivision and I don't call myself a gamer....just a guy who plays lots of video games. I feel the title is unnecessary at best and alienating at worse; after all, so many people are starting to play games that we need to have a discussion like this just to find out what it means anymore!
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@ImmortalSaiyan said:
" "Real gamers" is a stupid term. If he plays and enjoys call of duty he is a gamer. He does not need to know what Actraiser or a moogle is. "
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By MysteriousBob

If I saw someone wearing a Final Fantasy shirt, I'd punch them in the mouth.

If a "real gamer" has to be into such a dull, overblown dead franchise, then I don't want to be any kind of gamer. I'd rather just be a guy who likes video games.
phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By phish09

I would say a "real gamer" is somone who spends a significant portion of their free time playing games.  That is all.  There is no number of hours, or number of games or amount of achievements you need to have...it's just you enjoy playing video games and play them when you get a chance to.  I'd say if you have the chance to play video games in your free time and choose to never or very rarely do so then you're probably not a gamer, but if you choose to spend that precious little free time that most of us have playing video games, then you are most definitely a "real gamer".
Avatar image for lemmycaution217
Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Who wears a shirt with a moogle on it? Jus sayin.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Julmust

That must be a pretty retarded shirt.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By MysteriousBob
@rudeboy217 said:
" Who wears a shirt with a moogle on it? Jus sayin. "
A REAL GAMER
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By WickedFather

A real gamer is someone that's experienced enough games to tell you that Mass Effect 2 isn't anything special.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kyreo
@akiz_jack said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" Do they play video games? If yes, then they are a gamer. "
This. "
I feel like gamer has a bit more connotations than someone that JUST plays video games.  It seems a Gamer would be more inclined to care about gaming outside of social settings and would pursue them on their own time.