• 81 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Just finished watching the Dark Souls en....Load Our Last Souls stream. I was thinking about this before, but Vinny mentioned this on the stream. What do you name your characters? Are the names significant at all or would it be all the same if it was just "AAAAA..."?

Personally, I like taking time to think of names I wouldn't mind seeing throughout the game.

A couple of recent names are...

Link Between Worlds: Ryppi (This is my username on the 3DS as well). It's just something that has a bit of my own name in it. I think I used it in Dark Souls as well.

Persona 2: Kailen Shunoku. Nickname: Kaiju....yeah. Started this recently.

Tactics Ogre LUCT: Ryssunha Quo. Again, a bit of my own name in it and a bit of a fantasy character's name in it (sort of).

I think I played a couple of pokemon games with Zed as the name for my trainer.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By face15

I usually use Mortimer cause that name is funny. If it's a fantasy type setting like Dragon Age I sometimes mix it up and make it Mortimire cause that somehow seems more appropriate.

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For RPGs it's usually Alexander, my middle name. It's a good name and it fits with fantasy settings like Dragon Age.

Alexander Shepard

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Blaghendorf.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've used anagrams of my first and last name for some characters or use some version of a friends name that evolves over time to a name that doesn't really have much in common with the original name.

jclane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Something that fits the setting is usually the only criteria I have. For example, I named my Skyrim character Skaarlstrom Hellsig cause he was a Nord in a Nordic land and that name sounds Nord as fuck.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might think of a fitting name in something like Skyrim (Gordijyl), but most of the time I'll just use my real name if I make myself in the character creator, the default for characters like Link, or 49th in most multiplayer stuff.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlexanderSheen

For Western stuff: (James) McIntyre

For Eastern stuff: Kurosawa (Shintarou)

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always use my own name, I don't give a shit what the game is or if it doesn't fit the setting. If the character is a girl I just tack on -a at the end and it's all good.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

It depends, I guess. The most consistent one right now is Getsuki Yuuki. Hell, I even made it my PSN name (for obvious reasons).

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Andorski

For games where I have a character for each class I would take words, translate them to another language using Google Translate, and then alter them a bit to make a name. For example, my five characters in Diablo 3 are named after the latin words for five of the seven deadly sins. My Witch Doctor is named Socordis, named after the latin word socordia which translates to sloth.

I did something similar with Torchlight 2 where I translated the names of the four horsemen of the apocalypse to create names for the four classes.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Hideo Kojima or Hiro Watanaki.

For females I name them Janet Reno.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Generally my first male character in a game is Aaron and my second is Altheus, although sometimes those get swapped around depending on how I plan on roleplaying them.

For female characters the order is typically Katherine, Julia, Sophia.

Of course if none of those names would fit the setting, like in Persona, I'll pick something else like Akito Tenkawa.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By crusader8463

I usually get frustrated with not being able to make a name I like and just go with IHateMakingNames or something like that when playing MMOs. Or a random food item I like such as pickles, cake, etc. Ether that or I fall back on Celestria. Some random name I made up and really liked the way it sounded. So if I can't think of a name I use that. If it's one of the rare times it's a male character then I just use my name. On some very rare occasions I can just look at a character once they are made and a great name just pops into my head and I like it. Most recent one was an Orc Hunter in WoW I named MeatChops.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Default Name

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

For games where I have a character for each class I would take words, translate them to another language using Google Translate, and then alter them a bit to make a name. For example, my five characters in Diablo 3 are named after the latin words for five of the seven deadly sins. My Witch Doctor is named Socordis, named after the latin word socordia which translates to sloth.

I did something similar with Torchlight 2 where I translated the names of the four horsemen of the apocalypse to create names for the four classes.

That is really damn cool actually, so I'm going to shamelessly rip you off whenever I need to name a new character in a future game.

DeadeyeMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty good at making up weird fantasy names on the fly, but when it's something realistic I'm partial to "Darryl" and "McEvoy."

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#18 sgtsphynx  Moderator

If the character is male, I always either name him Sphynx or whatever the default name is. If the character is female, I either leave the default name or name them after an old friend of mine whose name I always liked, Corinne.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charlie Tunoku.

DaddyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mick Dundee.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually I just give them my real name in some form - but then you have stuff like XCOM, where I've been naming them after various X-Men and BSG characters.

(also, how fucking great would an XCOM-style X-Men game be)

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If its a guy, usually my name in reverse, or 'Isaac' something-they seem to fit in both futuristic games and more fantasy settings

I never know what to call the female characters, usually just go with the default or a randomly generated one-maybe I'll be able to pick one up on this thread

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Default if there is one, first name if I feel like self-inserting and in games where you name entire parties just whatever comes to mind. Just Do It. Fulgrim. Moist von Lipwig.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By Sergio

Default name if it isn't randomized. Otherwise, my name if it's a male character, Lain if it's female.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Usually some variation on "Lacking" depending on the genre and time period. If it's like medieval fantasy, i'll go with Lackington or Lacksworth. If it's something more contemporary, Lack.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By emprpngn

For fantasy settings, I go with Fionn, the name of my favorite character from Celtic mythology. For some games, like Mass Effect, I just stick with the default name. John Shepard just sounds right. It tends to vary for other stuff.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

When it's a fantasy game I tend to make up my own names by pairing up random syllables I like the sound of, and then spelling them in ways that I think look cool. Selyth, Leysiri, Anwyn, Orsik, and Toran are some examples of roleplaying and video game characters I've had.

In modern settings I tend to just use real world names, I actually have a list of about 40 names that I like on my computer (though I never recycle, when I name someone something, they own that name). I also take care that the name is appropriate for the region, my pokemon character this generation was named Valerie because it has a french origin (and cause I knew a special lady with that name once).

I also use a lot of baby naming websites when I can't think of a name. Like I'll think of a meaning that I like and try to find names that correspond to this meaning, or I'll pick a letter I'd like it to start with (I have this picky criteria that two characters can't have names that start with the same letter), or sometimes I just pick an origin.

My methods can get pretty crazy because I also write a lot of stories, so it comes up a lot more often then just in games.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anything with a fantasy feel (Swords and Sorcery) is always Artorias.

Sci Fi is usually Evans (Dunno why)

Being silly? MegaBeefBowl

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually use Final Fantasy Tactics character names in whatever situation I can. For instance, my most recent Dark Souls playthroughs were with Agrias, Wiegraf, Zalbaag, and Cidolfus.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I first played through the original KotOR like 10 years ago and after beating it thought it was funny that you could name yourself Revan and go through the whole game with everyone calling you Revan only to reveal that you're Darth Revan. And since I've always hated coming up with names, I just always used Darth Revan or just Revan. The past few years I've been mutating Revan to make new names, preferably fitting the character. I'd like to come up with names, but every time I try I think everything sucks.

@andorski: That is a fantastic idea and I kind of want to steal it.

VeggiesBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My male characters are typically named: Durandal or Tycho, taken from the Marathon series (one of my favourite series ever), while any female characters are typically named Aife or Durandana.

It also depends on the game. In Mass Effect I just went with the default name.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's a male character, GuEsTy, after myself. If it's a female character, Isabel, after my daughter.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Sometimes I use a variation of my name, sometimes I use a name for some stock video game characters I came up with years ago, sometimes I'll go with whatever the default name option is, and sometimes I pick a theme and play off that. For example, I bought Skyrim on Christmas day a couple years back, and it takes place in a setting that fits with a Christmas theme, so my characters names are all plays on various parts of Christmas mythology, like my Nord warrior named Klaus. Or for Fallout New Vegas I named my characters after real life famous gamblers. Or for Fallout 3 I named some of my characters after characters from The Stand.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By ajamafalous

Default if available.

If not, it largely depends on whether it's a) a game where I'm going to be RPing and immersing my character within the world, or b) a game with largely throwaway created characters.

For a), I'll pick something that seems to fit with the game's theme and setting. If it's a girl character, I will often (but not always) use my girlfriend's pseudonym.

For b), which are games like Diablo, Torchlight, Dark Souls, etc., where each character is a throwaway shell and they're going to be cycled through often for playstyles or playthroughs or speedruns or w/e, I like to pick standard names that seem hilariously out of place in the game (Derek, Steve, Keith, Frank, Phillip, Johnathan, Chet, Brody, Ty, Braden, etc.). Derek the Demon Hunter, Keith the poise tank, or some other equivalent will never fail to make me laugh when I see them on the character screen.

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HolyHackZack

Roland for paragon

Bronson for renegade

Black metal musicians for fantasy (Gaahl, Grishnackh, Nekrobutcher, etc)

Wu-tang members for early JRPG's (Prince RZA, Princess U-God, etc)

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Strife777

I don't have anything I use by default, unless there is a default name. I won't name Link anything other than Link for example.

Choosing names in games is probably one of the things I hate the most. I can spend half an hour, just staring at the screen, trying to come up with something.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most games I just use Mems. If its a more realistic type of game I use my first name.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I called my boy in Persona 4 Golden "ZELDA LINK".

ChampInMaking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the game had it, I would use the random name generator until I found something I could work with and then changed it around.

That all changed though when I was replaying KOTOR and when I hit the randomizer, I got "Kerc Kijyah." I've been using that name ever since; it was just too funny to me to never use it again.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

LordDugan

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No method to my madness, I just go with whatever name I can think up at the time.

Also whoever named their Shepard anything other than Jack, is wrong.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#42  Edited By jacksukeru

If the character has some sort of "official" name, like in Zelda games, I just stick with that, otherwise I have a list of names I've written down that I like to use and pick whatever's on there I think fits. If I don't think anything fits I make somehing new up and add it to the list. That's how names like Remn (first appeared in Dragon Age) or Garoganne (first appeared in Dragon's Dogma) were put on there.

I make a lot of Dark Souls characters and have begun to give them some dumb names based on what I intend to use them for. The last one I made was for playing through the game using only club weapons and I named her Clubba Thumps.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Almost always "Baal_Sagoth" or slight variations in games where I need to name an account more than a specific character, like Battlefield. I use my real nickname in racing games, LAN-type settings and situations like that. Characters I create myself (usually in RPGs) are almost always female and go by "Arya" (because Game of Thrones), "Wratha" (from the Necroscope books), "Morrigan" (since I love her in Dragon Age) or a pretty fun anagram of my real name. The occasional male character is called "Baal", "Bhaal" or "Khorne" (from WH40k).

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obscenities that I dare not say here

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For most games, I typically choose Jack. For fantasy games, I use Alghas.

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ThePencil

My main dude's in RPG's usually get called Eamonne, after my bard from DnD, and an Irish take on my own name Edward. Then on playthroughs after that, I go through the list of names I've came up with and used for a bunch of things over the years: Brandt, Euvendred, Wren, Danae, Yedoe, Eavhaan, Eideard, Galen, Kell, Morghain, Roulette, Soraya, Patryk, Warren, Owaine and I can go on and on. (As a DM, I spent far too much time on my NPCs)

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My own

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I like to vary it up. My favourite character name ever was my Guild Wars 2 character. He was a Human Male (and therefore voiced by Nolan North) and I named him Nolan of the North. I was shocked that no one had already taken it, since I started playing a long while after the game launched.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Haruko

I go between Haru, Mao, Charlie, or for RPGs where I can name my whole party I always go with names of moons like Io, Europa, Ganymede, Deimos, Phobos, etc.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's a dude, he's often called Elseworth. Misspelled version of Ellsworth (originally to work in some random MMO I played ones). It's from a character in Deadwood and liked the name, for some reason.

If it's a lady, she's called Brenn. Again, a name that came up just to work as a unique name in an MMO and didn't need four numbers at the end.

I stick with the names because 1. it saves time to come up with new names. 2. I still like the names somewhat 3. Friends can easily recognize me if it's multiplayer.