What fictional universe do you prefer: StarCraft or Warhammer 40K?

• 122 results
NaDannMaGoGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By NaDannMaGoGo

@aspaceinvader said:

I think blizzard tried to get the licence to make war hammer 40k and when that failed that's how Starcraft came into existence.

No. That was already during the development of Warcraft ( the first one).

Edit: Also in regards to Starcraft races etc. being straight out Warhammer races: http://forums.stardock.com/382483/get;2667879

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Also, I am Alpharius.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#53  Edited By Tennmuerti

I lhave grown to like 40k over the years. But the logic part of my brain keeps me from enjoying 40k fully, because it's so incredibly fucking stupid. Stagnation of technology, degradation of technology, no mass production, it's just sooo much illogical bullshit.
But the 40k space marines are way way more badass then Starcraft space marines. Plus 40k orc bilology is awesome. I just can't get past the how much not science fiction 40k is.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By artelinarose

@Gargantuan said:

I grew up with Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40k and have been collecting that stuff for over 15 years and I have to say that I prefer the Starcraft universe. 40k writing has become so boring the last 5-10 years. It's all so GRIM DARK!!! (I hate that term) and it has lost so much of the fun stuff. There's no shades of grey in 40k, everything is pitch black or very dark grey and it's so dull. That's why I've gone back to the 2nd Edition of 40k. Better rules, very interesting army lists (Squats and Genestealer Cults!) and funnier backround. I'd rate them like this 1: Old 40k 2: Starcraft 3: Current 40k

Whatever, grumpypants. We don't need any of that BACK IN MYYYYY DAY stuff ruining our civil discussion.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By phrosnite

Warhammer 40k of course. I don't think there is a cooler universe than that. Also when you add that Starcraft is a copy of 40k but bad...

Inquisitor_Sif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Inquisitor_Sif

I do love the Starcraft games. However, when it comes down to background universe then the Warhammer 40k would be a supreme grand daddy compare to Starcraft which is no more than a newborn. In the Warhammer 40k universe, it's a complex story of different culture, technology, belief, etc... clashing all together. And within each faction exist internal conflicts that add even more layers to the storyline. One more thing is that the Warhammer 40k span across the entire universe rather than just a small sector like the Koprulu.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Terramagi

40k.

If they hadn't fucked up Starcraft 2, I might've voted for i-oh who am I kidding, 40k is 40k and nothing can top that shit.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58  Edited By Deranged

40k by leaps and bounds.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#59  Edited By Mnemoidian

@Tennmuerti: Not sure what you mean by "no mass fabrication"? The Mechanicus is pretty much dedicated to mass fabricaction, on their Forge Planets... and as far as I can remember, there is limited non-mechanicus production also going on.

Of course, WH40k is effectively a post-post-apocalyptic (recovering, kind of) setting, where Science has become so advanced that it became magic. No longer understood by the common man, technology is something to be feared and has been turned into a religion by the tech priests of Mars.

... and yes, I voted 40k. Because of Tech Priests, Titans, Blood Angels and all the other crazy shit that is way more expanded than it has any business being :)

BigSteve1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60  Edited By BigSteve1983

40K for me every day of the week. While I can see the appeal of the Starcraft universe, I just love the Warhammer lore (both Fantasy and 40K)

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#61  Edited By huntad

I'd like to say Warhammer, but in reality I guess I'm just not a fan of either.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Cretaceous_Bob

Considering Blizzard's writing is always complete dogshit, 40K.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By HarlechQuinn

What a silly question...

WE MARCH FOR MACRAGGE, AND WE SHALL KNOW NO FEAR!!!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I like both. I really like Starcrafts lore Raynor and Zeratul are cool characters. 40k though...I'vr probably read like 30 40k books in the last year. So maybe that's your answer.

astrolamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By astrolamp

I'm gonna have to go with 40k on this one; their lore is just so much more fleshed out than Starcraft.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#66  Edited By BBAlpert

Warhammer 40K, because as has (probably) been said already, it's just goddamn bananas purely for the sake of being over-the-top. Aside from maybe Dragon Ball Z, it's perhaps the strongest example of completely unchecked, hyperbolic, constantly accelerating inflation of power, where immovable objects are only balanced out by making the force of everything else in the universe slightly more unstoppable.

It's science fiction as filtered through the mind of young Andy from Toy Story 1, to whom it makes complete sense to counter a dog that has built-in force fields with a T-rex that specifically eats force field dogs. It's unapologetically juvenile in that regard and that's why I love it.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By Nentisys

40K. I love that setting.

StarCraft is fine. I thought the first Starcraft was very interesting plotwise. Then SC2 came along and destroyed any interest I had in that "lore".

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#68  Edited By BBAlpert

I will admit that there is one thing in particular that the Starcraft universe has that (as far as I know) is absent from WH40K.

Space truckers.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#69  Edited By Chummy8

Warhammer. But I prefer Warhammer Fantasy over 40k.

One of the best aspects of the world is that there are no "good guys". Even the Empire has it's zealots who will kill entire towns just to get 1 heretic.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#70  Edited By Nephrahim

40k, though I am a fan of both.

The 40k universe is just so much more fleshed out then SC, and a lot of concepts are much more complex then their SC counterparts (I like the Zerg, but the Tyranids seem so much more dynamic.) along with just so many more races and things. It's just not a fair contest, there are 2 SC games and a handful of books and stuff, there are dozens and dozens of warhammer 40k books, along with a few video games and years of desktop material.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#71  Edited By Hailinel

StarCraft's universe owes a lot, and I mean a lot, to what Warhammer had done before. But it's also not nearly as fleshed out, detailed, or interesting as Warhammer.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Clonedzero

oh god, 40k easily.

starcraft is like a cheap kiddy version of 40k.

granted, i was playing table top 40k at the age of 10 because my older brother was into it and gave me his starter set space marine army and would practice against me, but still...nothing in starcraft made me want to sit and read pages and pages of backstory. it feels so safe and generic, while 40k feels so rich and indepth. its crazy how anyone with knowledge of both series could like starcraft more.

plus ive never really liked the starcraft games, build order racing is boring as shit to me.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#73  Edited By falling_fast

the only really interesting thing about starcraft's fiction is the space rednecks. other than that, it's pretty standard stuff. warhammer 40k just has so much more crazy shit going on in its fiction.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not a huge a fan of StarCraft, but that's what I'm going to vote for because I've always thought Warhammer in any form looks super dumb. Admittedly that judgement is based on very, very little.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By BoOzak

I really enjoyed the way Starcraft fleshed out it's universe in the game (Only played 2) but there's a lot more going on in 40k. Plus with Blizzard it's always the same, someone good goes evil, unleashs an undead hoard etc. etc.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#76  Edited By csl316

Starcraft, despite 2's crappy story. Bet a lot of that comes from nostalgia when reading that beefy SC1 manual in junior high.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By EquitasInvictus

There's so much behind the 40k universe that I'd have to give it my vote!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Starcraft personally. I prefer playing Warhammer games but I find the Starcraft universe more interesting because significant things happen quickly. Warhammer it feels like whatever you do you don't really accomplish anything because everything in that universe is perpetually fucked.

@SquirrelGOD said:

I don't think I could choose between "Space Truckers" and "Space British". It's like chocolate and peanut butter, I like 'em both.

This is the greatest analysis of these two games ever.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#79  Edited By alternate

A Commissar would shoot you in your fucking heretical face for even asking.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#80  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Warhammer 40k is way more interesting story wise, visually, in concept. And not even discussing the the Blizzard ripping off Games Workshop factor, it's still a lot more interesting.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#81  Edited By MachoFantastico

Warhammer all the way, Starcraft always sort of bored me.

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By justicejanitor

I really like the Starcraft games but I love how batshit insane the Warhammer 40k lore is.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By deox

I love Starcraft and it's universe, but I can admit that 40K has it beat. The amount of 40K lore out there is astounding and despite being fucking ridiculous at times the lore still manages to feel much more interesting and takes place on a more epic scale than Starcraft ever could.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By pr1mus

My entire knowledge of Starcraft is the Wings of Liberty single player campaign and my entire knowledge of the 40K universe is from last year's Space Marine and about 2/3 the campaign of Dawn of War 2.

Based on that i prefer Starcraft. It got more interesting individual characters and i prefer the aesthetic. I'm not overly fond of the religious aspect and dumb Orks in space. I also feel like all the over the top ridiculousness of Warhammer 40k gets old after a while.

Starcraft is like the sleeker, better looking and more grounded into reality version of 40k and i prefer that.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By GunslingerPanda

They're both brilliant games with awful stories. 40k is extra awful though, for sure.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#86  Edited By mbr2

I like how in the 40k universe everyone seems to be "bad guys" and the religious zealotry almost all of the races have is so rare in most fiction.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Not even a contest, 40K by a million miles.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#88  Edited By galiant

Starcraft games are better executed than Warhammer games so far. I like the Warhammer fiction more, though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#89  Edited By StarvingGamer

As my only interactions with their relative fictions are game related (be it tabletop or vidja), I can only judge them based on their representations in those mediums. With that in mind, SC by far, as it is much more character-driven and that's what I like.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#90  Edited By Svenzon

Warhammer. I've never liked the lore in any of Blizzard's games.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By FirePrince

Warhammer 40K, duh.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Shakezula84

I like the 40k universe more then SC because 40k is really fleshed out. Huge back story.

Now Starcraft has a huge back story. If anyone remembers, the first game came with an instruction manual that had the history of the three factions up to the game time. However the Starcraft universe was left stagnant between the first and second game. 40k has novels coming out all the time to expand on the universe. And current lore takes place over a thousand years given them a lot of freedom on what they are writing.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Seedofpower

The one thing that boggles my brain about the Starcraft universe is that, the fate of the galaxy is centered around a handful of individuals. The galaxy is a big place and I feel more people have a hand in its future than just 6-8 people.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#94  Edited By CJduke

The characters in starcraft are awesome, but warhammer 40k has dem orks

captainjokaero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Starcraft better because it's more science fiction than ''future medieval'' or whatever. I also prefer the aesthetics.

I do find the Warhammer fiction interesting, but I'm always weirded out (not necessarily a negative) by how religious the Space Marines are.

Actually they are not religious they are atheist the Emperor is a GODLIKE being not a GOD to them. Space marines are as bout as close to religious atheist as you can get because without the Emperor they would not be the proud Adeptus Astartes that they are they are the Imperium's greatest and only chance for survival. They have pushed back armies that make the Zerg look like cute little pets. In Warhammer 40k the tyranids can consume a planet within a 50 day period easy. Then lets see Necrons the "Protectors" of everything because they once ruled the stars but in a war in which THEY KILLED GODS they were too few in number to fight the Eldar. So Warhammer is the root of Starcraft so you cant give Credit to them. Zerg ?? Watered down tyranids. Protoss watered down Necrons. So I say that Starcraft is a good universe but a blatent rip off.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

I'd go with 40K, the lore is just so rich and detailed compared to Starcraft. It's a fascinating universe that really keeps on giving story wise.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SomeJerk
CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By CheapPoison

I must say at this point i am kind really cold on both of them.

Starcraft cause i feel is just turning out to be a sci fi version of warcraft (story seems very similar on a lot of beats)
And warhammer has just been getting less and less cool as time went on, partly ruined by the miniature game.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely prefer 40k for the most part, both visually and story-wise. (Especially with how Starcraft 2's been handling things)

Emphasis on 'for the most part' though. Because I've always preferred the Protoss over the Eldar. :P

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#100  Edited By Superkenon

Derivative or not, StarCraft is still very much its own beast, and did a lot of cool things. I might've said StarCraft once upon a time, but then StarCraft 2 happened. I love the game, but storywise they seemed to have systematically made every piece of it less interesting.

Warhammer's consistently awesome, and has the advantage of its gigantic legacy.