What games bashed critically you loved?

arghron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, reviewed by Brad back in the day.

WiredFolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#202  Edited By WiredFolf

Alpha Protocol: Glad to see I'm far from the only one who remember that game fondly, flaws and all. (Freakin' Sega :P)

Dragon Age 2: I'll say I actually liked it more than Origins. I thought the plot was also a very welcome change from the cliche story most mainstream fantasy games have. Rather than being the great hero to save the world from an all destroying evil, you get caught in the middle of a power struggle between two powerful factions. Add to the fact neither side is a clear cut 'good' or 'evil' choice and I call that engaging story telling.

The BorneConspiracy: I can't recall if this was panned by critics and/or fans, but I thought the take on melee combat was fun and made fights feel like they had real weight to them.

Run Like Hell: An old PS2 game that was pretty much forgotten by everyone the second it was released, though it did get an Xbox release a few months later. The graphics were crud, the combat and controls were clunky. But what really made me like the game was a cast of voice actors that would make a sci-fi geek drool. Lance Hendriksen, Clancy Brown, Kate Mulgrew, Brad Dourif, Micheal Ironside, to name a few. Combine a great cast with surprisingly snappy dialog and character interactions and despite the game play I felt compelled to keep going to the end so I could watch more cut-scenes.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Alpha Protocol

Both Kane and Lynch games

Viking: Battle for Asgard

There are reasons why they got bashed and they aren't perfect games, but I feel like the good aspects got overlooked.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

None. Aggregate review scores are usually about right. At most, I got into the Phoenix Wright games for a time and they hung around mid to high 70's on average, but that's about right for those games too.

@bemusedchunk said:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Twilight Princess gets a LOT of vitriolic hate and its not really THAT bad of a game.

I thought we were talking about critically bashed games? That game got like NO low scores even though most reviewers admitted later that they kind of thought it was boring and lame. Even the infamous 8.8 from Jeff was a great score for a game he totally hated. Same freaking thing happened with Skyward Sword. I think critics are afraid of scoring mainline Zelda games low for some reason, even if they suck. Maybe because most of them are Audrey Drake Nintendo apologist types? I love me some Nintendo but when they're boring or disappointing I have no problem saying it.

To be fair, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are the only two Zelda games I really didn't enjoy at all and I've beaten the whole series, most of them multiple times.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There are several. Maybe not love, but I like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Two Worlds was fun (save for a couple very frustrating glitches), there's an Xbox game called Breakdown that I really like also. I'll conclude by saying that I love Bloodrayne 2, but it's been a long time since I played it so my glasses may be a little rose tinted.

Breakdown was fucking amazing. Fucking phenomenal. I haven't experienced the same enjoyment as I have with Breakdown ever since.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Alpha Protocol is the absolute top of the list... unfortunately it is kind of rightfully bashed. It got all the hardest parts of a game right, and all the things we take for granted were just absolutely amateurish. Jesus, I'd still jump back into that big clown footed bastard's shoes again for another couple runs at the story...I just wish it was a lot longer.

Also I really enjoyed Deathrow (Though I can't recall, but I don't think this was really bashed) back in the day and I played the shit out of Tales of the World: Radient Mythology on the PSP.

Damn it! Deathrow was another amazing game! It was like a mix of a violent sports game with pretty tight controls and a mafia game. Pretty good.