What is Kotaku thinking? Guide on how to "backup" DS games?!

• 116 results
Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Supermarius

So has anyone else seen this? I was looking at my RSS reader and the Kotaku RSS stream linked me to an article on their sister site Lifehacker (Lifehacker is to Kotaku as Tested is to Giant Bomb) on exactly how to copy games into roms, put them onto flash cards and play them on your DS. They even provided links to where you can buy the flash cards! This is a link to the Lifehacker article which I think is okay to link to but its so outrageous that im not even sure!
  http://lifehacker.com/5588151
   What is Kotaku (or Kotaku's blog network) thinking? Shouldn't they know better?  I hate when people pirate games so much. Personally I have reported the article to every Nintendo of America squealer's link i could find. If you want to report it to you can email  noalegal@noa.nintendo.com .

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

This is just asking for trouble.....I wonder if that'll work for out-of-region games with translation patches :P?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Afroman269

Wow this is terrible.....  *secretly bookmarks page

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Kotaku...

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By OllyOxenFree

THIS IS TEWWIBLE!!!

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shady

Gawker (the owner of both those blogs) really only cares about traffic generated by an article. It doesn't actually care about the content (unless it's exploitable like the iPhone 4 fiasco) or any actual "journalism" in any of its posts on their blog network. This is why Lifehacker is one of the more popular blogs on its network since they dabble in gray area matters such as this.

I'm no fan of it but the only thing you can do is not visit their sites. Either that or not take any of their so called journalists seriously.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

They are offering a way to legitimately backup cartridges.  How the end user decides to use the guide is a different story.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@jakob187 said:
" They are offering a way to legitimately backup cartridges.  How the end user decides to use the guide is a different story. "
They're advertising the flash cards which are being considered more and more illegal.  You can never find one of those on Ebay or Amazon as those kinds of products have been blacklisted.  I don't think it's illegal for them to post this kind of article up, but it's pretty damn close.  I mean, people were ripping on a GB editor for posting instructions on how to bypass the time limit for Crackdown 2's demo!  Any publication that actually cared about their reputation would never post something like this.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

The content of what they post doesn't bother me. They can post whatever they want. I'm not going to throw my hands in the air because they posted an article on how to backup your games, probably with the intention of helping the honest end user. I really don't see why you're so personally offended by it, and it's not like you're going to get a medal from Nintendo of America for reporting an article many people will see (Kotaku gets an average of two million views every day).

@FluxWaveZ said:

Any publication that actually cared about their reputation would never post something like this.

What they are is a publication that posts what they think appeals to people who play video games. They can do whatever they want. Across Gawker's network, this article has already summoned over 120'000 views. It was posted earlier today. Nobody on these forums is a giant defender of video games. I despise piracy and people who break copyright like that, but, really. Railing against this is just silly. It's an article, and that's it. Nobody cares if people don't like Kotaku. Keep it to yourselves.

(If you're against this, you should also be against the Super Mario Bros. Crossover flash game, which is essentially a jailbroken version of the entire original game. That's breaking copyright too.)
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince
@Afroman269 said:
" Wow this is terrible.....  *secretly bookmarks page "
XD

At least you're honest.
Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MancombSeepgood

They've done similar artciles before with the Wii, such as installing the homebrew channel, jailbreaking your iPhone, and more recently, how to play back-up Wii games. They're always very careful in their wording in that they never insinuate that following the guide could lead to piracy, but hell, I'm not that bothered. I mean, they should know that posting that guide is going to advertise easy methods of piracy but they're just doing it for the hits.

Having said all that, it's not stuff you can't immediatly find elsewhere from a quick search on google, so I'm not sure it matters all that much.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Chris2KLee

Yeah, their Lifehacker site does things like this all the time. They always put some disclaimer up for using their info for ill, but they know the deal. It gives them hits, and makes us cyberpunk wannabes happy.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Also, Tested has had several articles on how to rip DVDs. You could (theoretically) follow their article, rent a bunch of discs from wherever, and just steal some films. Except Tested's article is for those who want to watch their films on portable devices or across networks, or have all their films on one massive hard drive. This Kotaku/Lifehacker article is precisely the same thing, under different circumstances.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

Gawker Media is click-hungry, but Kotaku is among the worst of their websites.  Inflammatory articles that are nothing but flamebait, articles endorsing actions of highly questionable legality, and a sea of posts that are in no way dedicated to the subject of video games save for the editors' painful attempts to stretch the topic into that realm.

Avatar image for mancombseepgood
MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MancombSeepgood
@Hailinel said:
" Gawker Media is click-hungry, but Kotaku is among the worst of their websites.  Inflammatory articles that are nothing but flamebait, articles endorsing actions of highly questionable legality, and a sea of posts that are in no way dedicated to the subject of video games save for the editors' painful attempts to stretch the topic into that realm. "
This, a thousand times over. Kotaku, lately, has started becoming simply ridiculous. So much so that I frequent their website far fewer times a week than I used to, having replaced it with more reliable websites. 

They used to be okay, but all the posts about science and sports and the baiting headlines are just too much.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

Kotaku editorial are scumbags. Ill-informed and subjective dimwits. Arrogant and more lucky than they deserve to be. Can't stand any of them.

Barely getting any clicks from me. Less than 5 a month. And I hate myself for each and every one of those clicks.

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By turbo_toaster

I get that it's for backing up your shit, but damn it seems excessively ill-advised to put that out there. Kotaku on the whole is another subject, I've only ever delved a handful of times past reading the headlines and every single one of those times I've regretted the seconds I wasted reading their editorials.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By EVO

By making this thread, you've probably gotten them dozens of more hits.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19  Edited By Symphony

Phew, it's a good thing you called the internet police!

Honestly, it's cool that you feel indignant about it and all, but creating a thread on a different video game forum and posting a link to the article is only going to do two things:

1) Help promote it instead of actually combat it.

2) Create yet another "Eww Kotaku (and their other sites) suck" thread.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By JJWeatherman

Whatever guys. It's information... on the internet! It's not illegal so there's no problem. 

It's not like anyone who wants that information can't get it anywhere else.

InTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By InTheEnd

What ever will Nintendo do! D:

No Caption Provided
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Nothing is wrong with that, i'm sure you can back up your own games, it's just you can't distribute it.  

"don't copy that floppy." 

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Supermarius
@Symphony said:

" Phew, it's a good thing you called the internet police!  Honestly, it's cool that you feel indignant about it and all, but creating a thread on a different video game forum and posting a link to the article is only going to do two things:  1) Help promote it instead of actually combat it. 2) Create yet another "Eww Kotaku (and their other sites) suck" thread. "

No. Kotaku is bigger than here by quite a bit, and alot of the audience overlaps. I'm not making it bigger in any real way. GB used to have some pretty diehard nintendo posters who I thought would want to know about this if they didnt already and i think its interesting (although i think alot of the nintendo people may have freaked out and left/been banned). Don't worry, I'm not assuming that you are a good person (or anyone else specifically). I don't expect much to come of this, but it seems noteworthy enough to post. That's all. You can't impress me with your worldly internet savvy or masterful use of sarcasm.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By toowalrus
@Video_Game_King said:
" This is just asking for trouble.....I wonder if that'll work for out-of-region games with translation patches :P? "
Huh, I figured you'd be the type of guy who would have taught himself Japanese in middle school.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TooWalrus: 

I'd be doing it now if I wasn't so lazy :P.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus
@Video_Game_King: Ha, me too, I'm seriously considering importing a 3DS early... but knowing Japanese would be a plus.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TooWalrus: 

I'll wait on the 3DS; I can read quite a bit of Japanese, but I still wouldn't know what any of it would mean.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By toowalrus
@Video_Game_King said:
" @TooWalrus:   I'll wait on the 3DS; I can read quite a bit of Japanese, but I still wouldn't know what any of it would mean. "
If Ocarina of Time is a launch game, I'm going to do it. I know I can get through that game without reading anything... And the US games will work on the Japanese 3DS, so really, why not? Japanese colors are always cooler anyway.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TooWalrus: 

They are? *Googles Japanese colors*  Red looks pretty cool, just like how mizuiro sounds cool.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@TooWalrus said:
" If Ocarina of Time is a launch game, I'm going to do it. I know I can get through that game without reading anything... And the US games will work on the Japanese 3DS, so really, why not? Japanese colors are always cooler anyway. "
That's where you're wrong.  The 3DS will be Nintendo's first handheld to be region locked (presumably for battle against piracy).  So if you intend on importing a Japanese 3DS, have fun importing all your 3DS games from Japan as well because any other region 3DS game won't work on it.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By toowalrus
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @TooWalrus said:
" If Ocarina of Time is a launch game, I'm going to do it. I know I can get through that game without reading anything... And the US games will work on the Japanese 3DS, so really, why not? Japanese colors are always cooler anyway. "
That's where you're wrong.  The 3DS will be Nintendo's first handheld to be region locked (presumably for battle against piracy).  So if you intend on importing a Japanese 3DS, have fun importing all your 3DS games from Japan as well because any other region 3DS game won't work on it. "
Can you let me know where you heard that?
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32  Edited By Symphony
@Supermarius said:
" @Symphony said:

" Phew, it's a good thing you called the internet police!  Honestly, it's cool that you feel indignant about it and all, but creating a thread on a different video game forum and posting a link to the article is only going to do two things:  1) Help promote it instead of actually combat it. 2) Create yet another "Eww Kotaku (and their other sites) suck" thread. "

No. Kotaku is bigger than here by quite a bit, and alot of the audience overlaps. I'm not making it bigger in any real way. GB used to have some pretty diehard nintendo posters who I thought would want to know about this if they didnt already and i think its interesting (although i think alot of the nintendo people may have freaked out and left/been banned). Don't worry, I'm not assuming that you are a good person (or anyone else specifically). I don't expect much to come of this, but it seems noteworthy enough to post. That's all. You can't impress me with your worldly internet savvy or masterful use of sarcasm. "
Strange that you got the impression I was trying to impress you. No, I was just pointing out the fact you're post was sensationalistic and came across as you having a moral panic attack. Again, such a post does nothing constructive.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Sooty

Who cares? I don't see why you are getting butt hurt over it... 

I bet if GiantBomb had posted this guide you wouldn't have really cared. 

Edit: I have never understood why people get so angry over people pirating stuff, there's nothing you can really do about it so step back and go do something else. I download a lot of stuff here and there, I don't have a modded 360 and won't be modding my 360 S even if it becomes moddable. Do I get angry over people downloading games for their modded 360s? Nope, who gives a flying fiddlestick.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Shady

I don't believe it has actually been confirmed, but the DSi is region locked in terms of both download software and DSi only carts, the few that do exists.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#35  Edited By loopy_101

I haven't a problem with it.

Given people have their mobile devices and such stolen often, would you rather have someone lose all of their games if they were robbed or have only the cartridge with their backed up games stolen? Its a case of losing over £100's worth of software or £30 on a 4GB Micro SD based flashcard.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TooWalrus: 

I checked the Wikipedia article, and while it didn't specifically mention region locking, it did cite an article saying that the 3DS will step up the anti-piracy measures.
Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shady
@Symphony:  Wait, maybe he works for Gawker. It all makes sense.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mazik765
@jakob187 said:
" They are offering a way to legitimately backup cartridges.  How the end user decides to use the guide is a different story. "
So if someone posted an article on 'how to effectively kill an adult man' claiming it was for use only in self defense, would that be ok? I mean it's only for self defense and it's the end user that decides how to use that information...right?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#39  Edited By Hailinel
@Ygg said:
" Who cares? I don't see why you are getting butt hurt over it...  I bet if GiantBomb had posted this guide you wouldn't have really cared.  Edit: I have never understood why people get so angry over people pirating stuff, there's nothing you can really do about it so step back and go do something else. I download a lot of stuff here and there, I don't have a modded 360 and won't be modding my 360 S even if it becomes moddable. Do I get angry over people downloading games for their modded 360s? Nope, who gives a flying fiddlestick. "
Piracy as a whole hurts the industry.  All of the incompetent slackwits that think that they aren't hurting anything by downloading games to hard drives and flash cards are too goddamn stupid to realize the damage that they're doing.
Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shady
@mazik765:  First, you're being extreme and that comparison isn't a fair one. Second, as long as it brings the clicks, Gawker doesn't mind.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Sooty
@Hailinel said:
" @Ygg said:
" Who cares? I don't see why you are getting butt hurt over it...  I bet if GiantBomb had posted this guide you wouldn't have really cared.  Edit: I have never understood why people get so angry over people pirating stuff, there's nothing you can really do about it so step back and go do something else. I download a lot of stuff here and there, I don't have a modded 360 and won't be modding my 360 S even if it becomes moddable. Do I get angry over people downloading games for their modded 360s? Nope, who gives a flying fiddlestick. "
Piracy as a whole hurts the industry.  All of the incompetent slackwits that think that they aren't hurting anything by downloading games to hard drives and flash cards are too goddamn stupid to realize the damage that they're doing. "
Of course it hurts the industry, I personally choose more important things to get butt hurt about though. 
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@mazik765 said:

" @jakob187 said:

So if someone posted an article on 'how to effectively kill an adult man' claiming it was for use only in self defense, would that be ok? I mean it's only for self defense and it's the end user that decides how to use that information...right? "
False analogy.

And what exactly is your point, anyway? You can do lots of things with a whole lot of information. That's not what @jakob187:'s point was. He was simply pointing out that the article did not intend to promote piracy. A guide for how to clean a firearm and operate a firearm doesn't promote killing people. Similarly, a guide regarding self defense would not be titled "How to kill people." It would be titled, "Here's how to defend yourself." All good self defense guides show you how to disarm and incapacitate an attacker, not how to kill them.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mazik765
@Shady:  I don't see how. In both cases you are telling people to do something that is strictly illegal under the guise of using it for your own protection. And I'm sure that article would bring lots of clicks too, so why should they care? There is a level of accountability with stuff they put up.
Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shady
@mazik765:  The difference is that you're giving both those actions the same amount of weight in terms of morality when the consequences they carry are vastly different.
mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mazik765
@ZanzibarBreeze:  The point is that they are not somehow morally unobligated just because they give it the guise of doing something legal. They are teaching people a skill that they very well know will likely be used to do something illegal. The analogy is not false, it's 2 skills that cane very well be used to do something very illegal and teaching them under the guise of protecting oneself. It's bullshit.

@Shady:  That depends on who you ask. There are plenty of moral systems that would hold both those acts as equals (theft and murder, that is).
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@mazik765 said:

@ZanzibarBreeze:  The point is that they are not somehow morally unobligated just because they give it the guise of doing something legal. They are teaching people a skill that they very well know will likely be used to do something illegal. The analogy is not false, it's 2 skills that cane very well be used to do something very illegal and teaching them under the guise of protecting oneself. It's bullshit.

Forgive me if I'm wrong (and I might be), but according to you, no guide to anything can ever be written. Because The Oprah Magazine could publish a guide -- a recipe -- as per how to make great chocolate brownies, but those very chocolate brownies could be used to kill people if they were, say, filled with poison. Theoretically The Oprah Magazine would therefore be in the wrong because they are providing a platform for crime to be committed "under the guise" of an innocent article.

No, Gawker's agencies published a guide which shows readers how to backup games. Gawker's agencies did not publish a guide entitled "Here's how to rip off Nintendo". For me, if a reader decides to use that guide illicitly then that's a reflection on the user, not on the publication.

Finally, what Gawker's organizations did is legal. It is not illegal.
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By yakov456

Really, you reported it to as many squealer links as you could find? Slow day?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mazik765
@ZanzibarBreeze:  That's not what I'm saying at all. Yeah somebody COULD do something illegal with a brownie recipe (at least I think they could). But is it really very likely? No. Is it likely someone is going to do something illegal when they teach them how to rip Nintendo game or how to kill someone in self defense? Yes. And I'm not saying that information shouldn't be available, but that the providers of the information should be held accountable since it is very sensitive information that is likely to encourage people into illegal acts.  

Also I don't see what your fascination is with titles. Who care's what they titled the article, it's irrelevant. What if I wrote an article entitled 'How to give the best care bear hugs ever!!!!' but inside were instruction on how to hid a body. The title doesn't change the contents of the article (unless the title is all you read). Just like how saying 'how to back up your games' being the title doens't change the fact they are essentially teaching people to steal copyrighted material.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@mazik765 said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze:  Is it likely someone is going to do something illegal when they teach them how to rip Nintendo game or how to kill someone in self defense? Yes.
And there's your problem. Show me the evidence. I understand that's your opinion, but do you have any empirical evidence that articles about how to backup games can be linked to piracy?
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By c1337us
@JJWeatherman said:
" Whatever guys. It's information... on the internet! It's not illegal so there's no problem.  It's not like anyone who wants that information can't get it anywhere else. "
Exactly. They are not responsible for people who may use that info for nefarious means.