What is one game you know you'll never beat, but you're ok with?

• 59 results
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Either because it's too long or too hard, or both. What are the games you love because it does it's hook incredibly well, so well that you don't even care that you're not patient or skilled enough to see to the end? For me:

• Super Meatboy
  • VVVVVV
  • Bit.trip.Runner
  • Any rhythm heaven
  • Crashmo

Comments reminded me of a few more:

• Joe danger
  • Dead space
  • Rayman origins
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Dustforce. I finished all the main levels...and I'm impressed I did that. But, I don't think I have it in me to unlock the extra levels, let alone S-rank all of them.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By kgb0515

Honestly most of the games I started this year but didn't finish. I have developed a short video game attention span this year which can be attributed to an abundance of games, but I'm tightening up the belt in 2013 which should increase my completion rate quite a bit.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BulletproofMonk

FTL.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By gamefreak9

Super meat boy sounds fair. I'm stuck on that last world for awhile now... maybe 6 months.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Dark Souls and Super Meat Boy

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

I guess Rijn the Specpyre in... Manor of the Damned? The third boss seems impossible to damage (I've tried everything, and he hasn't taken a single point of damage), and when I tried to reinstall it, the damn thing crashed on me.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Turambar

Final Fantasy VI, not because I can't, but because I won't. I love the game to death, but the first, oh, 4 times I played through it, one circumstance or another always prevented me from completing it, whether it moving from San Francisco to NY, thus losing access to a friend's copy, my PSX breaking down, thus rendering my copy unplayable, graduating from high school, rendering the emulator and ROM files on the library computer #9 forever out of reach, or simply getting a bit too busy in college to complete the GBA version.

At this point, part of the magic of that game for me is the ending that is always elusively out of reach. Oh, I am well aware of what the ending actually is through the magic of Youtube, but keeping it from my own play through seems to be the proper way of the world.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Started it, played for a few hours, took it out of my Xbox and back into my game drawer. I'm fine with not finishing it, plus I bought it for like 9 dollars from Gamefly.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel

I'm perfectly fine with never beating I Wanna Be the Guy, Super Meat Boy, or any other game that could be classified as "Masocore."

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By jaqen_hghar

FTL is a good one. I am pretty sure I will never be able to beat it, as it seems you need some random luck in order to do so (not quite sure about that, as I have only played a bit more than an hour so far).

Stuff like Super Meat Boy and Dark Souls is a lot easier, as it all comes down to player skill. So as long as you keep hammering on it, you should eventually be able to beat it. That said, I haven't beaten Dark Souls yet... still working on that, mostly because it is such a draining experience. I did beat the Dark World final boss on Super Meat Boy though.

Sydhartha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sydhartha

I have played...maybe 25 hours of FTL and I am fully comfortable with the fact that I will never beat that boss at the end.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By CaLe

Persona 4. Maybe every Zelda? Dunno, I've started them so many times and never finished one. If you mean just because of difficulty, then probably Pushmo/Crashmo. They get crazy at the end.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Rhaknar

havent even started it but FTL probably

@BeachThunder said:

Dustforce. I finished all the main levels...and I'm impressed I did that. But, I don't think I have it in me to unlock the extra levels, let alone S-rank all of them.

I dont think anyone includes bonus levels, let alone s-lvling / 5 staring / whatever every level when they say "finish a game"

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

There are a few JRPGs where I never beat the last boss/dungeon, like Tales of the Abyss, Skies of Arcadia, and Radiata Stories. I still really like those games (well, not Abyss so much). Similarly I never beat Vaati in Minish Cap or the False King in Demon's Souls.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By CJduke

I just started it, but I don't see myself ever beating FTL

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demon's Souls, and Rayman: Origins.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HerbieBug

To those saying Meat Boy, do you mean you won't finish light world, or do you mean trying to 100% it?  I ask because I beat light world but I don't think I'll ever get around to polishing off cotton alley or the later dark world business. 

I'll do two categories here, current gen only as my backlog from previous gens is embarrassingly lengthy:

Because too long/don't have patience/don't like the game enough to bother
-Red Dead Redemption
-Dead Space 1 and 2
-Witcher 2 
-Fallout New Vegas

Because too hard
-fucking Trials Evo-  Way of the Ninja and Inferno 3.  Goddamn those levels to hell.  I always run out of time on Way of the Ninja and I cannot do the three angled wood things in Inferno (have tried somewhere in the area of 1000 times on that obstacle specifically).  D: 
-Trials HD same reason.  two or three of the extreme level tracks having obstacles I don't have the dexterity to manage. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By crusader8463

@Jaqen_HGhar: @Sydhartha: There's actually a really easy way to defeat the end boss in that game and it doesn't take any real luck of the draw to win. It's just making sure you buy a certain item when the option comes up. I won't spoil it, but if you want to know just send me a PM and I will let you guys know.

Honestly there isn't a game I know I'm never going to beat. I mean sure there are a ton of games that I will never play so by default I will never beat them, but all the games I want to play I will eventually get around to it.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#20  Edited By elyk247

Amagon for the NES

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By UitDeToekomst

This probably perverts the intent of the post a bit, but: Deadly Premonition. I bought it with the intention of playing along with the Endurance Runs (weird and sad, I know). Unfortunately, I ended up just watching and never actually playing the game myself. Having watched both Endurance Runs (and JV twice) I can't imagine ever actually popping it into my 360. I'm okay with it, though.

I am also becoming increasingly unconcerned that I will never complete the main quest in Skyrim. I have spent about 130 hours in the game over its roughly 14 month life (largely in two bursts in December '11 - January '12 and again after Dawnguard came out), but am only about halfway through the main quest line (as is my understanding). As I acquire more games (just recently got a PS3 for the first time, and have since bought about 20 PS3 exclusives) and my backlog builds and builds, it is starting to become apparent that it may be quite a long time before I dive back into the world of Skyrim, if ever, despite the fact that I love it so much.

Tan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tan

Dustforce. Also, those leaderboards are just too depressing to even want to go further...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaggE

Quite a few, but Dark Souls in particular comes to mind.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By warxsnake

FTL 

I wish the meta game was more freelancer/privateer/space rangers style and less defeat stupid boss

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By TheHT

GTA4. Everytime I try I genuinely get bored. I think it's time to stop trying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic CD

Dark Wizard

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By hermes

Skyrim
After I lost my 100+ hours save I realized I am fine not knowing how it ends.

EndoftheJays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EndoftheJays

The Mega Man games. After one and it's really cheap bosses. I feel no need to start going through the other ones quite yet.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By MildMolasses

@hermes said:

Skyrim After I lost my 100+ hours save I realized I am fine not knowing how it ends.

Realistically, you could blast through the main quest in a few hours.

Realistically, it's not actually worth doing.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jsnyder82

Trials Evolution

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@TheHT said:

GTA4. Everytime I try I genuinely get bored. I think it's time to stop trying.

Opposite with me, have beaten it three times, last time just recently because I'm getting ready for GTAV, and every time I beat, I wish I had more to do, the assassination phone call missions end too soon.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

Half Life 2. As much I want to beat it, as much I want to like it, I just can't. It's too boring.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By JJOR64

I still need the final star in Super Mario Galaxy 2 to get 100% . I got so mad when I tried to get it I said fuck it and gave up. Found out you really don't get anything special for doing it so I'm glad I stopped trying. Maybe one day I will go and get it, but I'm in no hurry to get it right now.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#34  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

Borderlands 1 & 2. I love both of them, and it's not that it's too hard or anything I just find that I end up getting my fill of looting and shooting before I ever get to the end.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a bunch I don't want to finish.

Mafia 2: Everything feels emotionless.

Fallout New Vegas: Boring and can't get past the bugs.

Shaq-Fu: No answer required.

Skyward Sword: Not even going to bother, I've played every zelda game up to this point in history. I'm stopping here.

Earthworm Jim 3D: Every boss is exactly the same! Just faster than the last!

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SaFt

Probably any and all Final Fantasies. I really do like them, they're quality games. I just have this thing for starting traditional JRPGs and never finishing them for one thing or another.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Levius

Dark Souls. I played enough of the game to know why people love it, but I got to the point at which I realised I would have to put in a lot more time into the game than I was willing to to complete it.I am also OK with not finishing FFXIII, but I will finish FFX one day.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By connerthekewlkid

FF12 when i started to play that game I told myself that I was gonna try to go for all the sidequest stuff ( I was at least gonna try to attempt yiazmat) but then the game just got boring and I didn't feel like grinding anymore and i had accidentally done the stupid chest thing so i could never get the best weapon so I just kinda gave up since i had already seen the ending anyway.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Rayman Origins. But I'm still gonna try. Fuuuuck the treasure chases though. Jesus, those levels are cruel.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Just Cause 2, Red Faction Guerrilla. Both games I had so much fun in the sandbox, I could have cared less about the stories except to give me more awesome toys for the snadbox and the occasional moment of awesome.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TyCobb

Super Mario Bros. 3

Fuck World 8.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#42  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I loved what I could play of The Next Big Thing this last year, along with most of the other Pendulo adventure games, but I'll never be able to get past a certain puzzle in the last half of the game. It's a vision thing, not any fault of the game, so I went ahead and looked up the rest of the game on Youtube. I'm glad I did. That was a charming game and one I'm definitely glad I tried, even if it didn't end up working out.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By notdavid

I guess I'm fine with never finishing a JRPG, even though I'm in love with the genre. Closest I got was Chrono Trigger, which was relatively short, and I still stopped just short of the ending. I just don't have it in me to play the same god damn game for 50 hours.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By Barrabas

Jet Force Gemini. You know all the little guys you were supposed to save. I killed them all. Then you get to a point where you have to have saved so many to proceed. There was no way I was going to go back and replay all the levels to save them. Sure it was my fault, but I was done with the game and never looked back.

Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TMNT for the NES. J... Just fuck that game.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AgnosticJesus

I'm fine with never finishing Fez. I'm pretty far in the game but I have absolutely no desire to ever touch the game again.

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aterons

Endless space, i like the concept and i am ok with the execution but for some reason i never could find the interest to finish any of the games i started... I think it's a good game and i can't find many things against it, I just can't get enough "into" a game to finish it.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zekhariah

Rayman: Origins for me. I got to the end pretty much, but its just not happening.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By face15

I'm never gonna finish Final Fantasy XIII cause it's too long and boring. I'm okay with that cause I don't want to play a game that is long and boring.

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Mayu_Zane

I finished Demon's Souls but I'll never have the time to finish Dark Souls.