• 113 results
#1 Posted by stoodspoon (586 posts) -

I have to say Naughty Dog or Bioware due to their cinematic story telling

#2 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

Bungie because Halo.

But really, they haven't disappointed me yet, are always really dedicated to their games post-release and have built in so many features that they didn't need to, but are really cool and give the games even more longevity. I think even Jeff said that they are the best in the world when it comes to that stuff.

#3 Edited by SmasheControllers (2543 posts) -

Bioware and Rockstar. Storytelling's super important to me and both Companies do a great job at making me care about the story and characters.

#4 Posted by Majestic_XII (95 posts) -

DICE, because I just got a job there.

#5 Edited by Tebbit (4446 posts) -
#6 Posted by Brendan (7663 posts) -
@Majestic_XII said:
" DICE, because I just got a job there. "
YOU'RE JUST ADVERTISING YOUR COMPANY FALSE ADVERTISING WHAT A DOU- 

Sorry, I think I've just been a little affected by all those threads Cmdrshepard made lately.  I like DICE too!  I also enjoy a solid Bioware or Valve production.
#7 Posted by Wolverine (4276 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
" Bungie because Halo.  But really, they haven't disappointed me yet, are always really dedicated to their games post-release and have built in so many features that they didn't need to, but are really cool and give the games even more longevity. I think even Jeff said that they are the best in the world when it comes to that stuff. "
I agree. I love Bungie. Although I'm sad they are not making the next Halo game, I'm excited to see what there going to do.
#8 Posted by mracoon (4946 posts) -

Valve because of everything they've ever made.

#9 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -

Platinum Games at the moment. Two great games, very modern and polished. They give me hope for japanese game development.

#10 Posted by alexl86 (619 posts) -

Probably BioWare and Bethesda. Mass Effect is probably the best franchise to come out of this console generation and I really like Dragon Age too, and BioWare was solid last generation too. I love Oblivion and Fallout, and I'm more excited for Skyrim than any other game this year.

I guess I just really like RPGs, though BioWare and Bethesda make very different games. While BioWare has a big emphasis on story and cinematics in their games, I just like being dropped into a huge world without having to go where the game tells you to. You can play Oblivion and Fallout without ever doing the main quest beyond the starting area.

Special mentions to Rockstar (played a lot of GTA the last decade), Netherrealms (only a month until MK) and Nintendo (for saving video games).

#11 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -

Volition. 
All their games are fun. Don't need to be amazing, or innovative. Just loads of simple fun 
Platinum and Falcom are right behind them though

#12 Posted by Thoseposers (773 posts) -

Double Fine and Twisted Pixel, cause those guys just seem like the nicest and most fun people in the world. 

#13 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Bioware
Black Isles 
Bethesda
Troika Games

#14 Posted by Devil240Z (3250 posts) -

Genki 

cause they make my favorite game. 

#15 Edited by Twitchey (865 posts) -

Bethesda and Ubisoft.
Bethesda - They make amazing RPGs and give me a chance to enter a whole new world.
Ubisoft - They made two of my favorite game franchises, Splinter Cell and Assassin's Creed. Even if they didn't release Conviction for the PS3 -_-

EDIT: Just found you my PC can run Conviction so my year long bitchin spree is over.

#16 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

DICE, because they make the amazing Battlefield series and aren't afraid to push boundaries for things like Mirror's Edge, which IMO is vastly underrated. 

And Criterion, because those guys make the most fun racing games out there.

#17 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

No particular order:
Frictional Games
Black Isle Studios   †
LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC
Troika Games L.L.C. †
Double Fine Productions, Inc.
The Creative Assembly
Starbreeze Studios AB

Cause they are/were the best.

#18 Edited by MetalGearGeorge (218 posts) -

At the moment my favorite studios are Platinum Games because i loved Vanquish and Bayonetta, Guerilla Games, DICE and Rockstar San Diego.My all time favorite however is definitely Kojima Productions.

#19 Posted by Sumbog (481 posts) -

I like Bioware, Bethesda, and Rockstar

#20 Posted by Gamebite (26 posts) -

I would have to say DICE because I like to think that they are like Blizzard but in the FPS sandbox genre :P Just name one game that came close to Battlefield with the same asset's just as WoW, I personally can't think of any.

Outside of this i would say Capcom and Konami because 90% of my games are made or published by them.

#21 Edited by ProfessorEss (7253 posts) -
#22 Posted by ultimatepunchrod (336 posts) -

1. ninja theory 
2. naughty dog 
3. bioware 
4. sucker punch

#23 Posted by fraser (478 posts) -

I hate to be so boring but I have to say Rockstar. All the GTAs, both Red Deads and the first Manhunt kinda cement that for me.

Oh, and a bit of Atlus.

#24 Edited by dagas (2744 posts) -

Bioware, because they make the best games. However EA is slowly ruining Bioware... 

Bungie for the great community features. 

And Atlus for realeasing games outside of Japan even if they won't sell much.

#25 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

rockstar then DICE- though the gap is wide.  The gap is getting closer with the increasing chatter on the whole "we never hear from rockstar devs" conversation, which unsettles me.

#26 Posted by mano521 (1213 posts) -

favorite would have to be bethesda. i loooove open world games and fallout 3 and oblivion are some of the best games i own. for me anyways. i loved the replayability  
 After that i would have to say DICE for multiplayer games. battlefield games are always amazing. 

#27 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
  • Platinum
  • Rockstar
  • Valve
  • Irrational
  • Double Fine
  • CAVE
#28 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

Double Fine: They're crazy 
Rockstar: Amazing atmosphere and usually ground breaking in open-world 
DICE: They're awesome at what they do, but they're not afraid to try other things. Also, Swedish. 
Obsidian: Their games are like rough diamonds. Very rough...that cut you. But they're still fucking diamonds! 
Valve: Durrrr 
Massive: They're in my home town and hopefully my friend will get a job there soon!

#29 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

Atlus.

Their JRPG's are some of the best available, and they are constantly bringing weird and obscure japanese games over to North America.

#30 Posted by kidman (465 posts) -

Psygnosis (R.I.P.) - I somehow loved most of their games, which is a nice feat. 
Nintendo (whichever division it is) - for Mario 64 
Criterion - I could never get enough of Burnouts, all of them. 
AKI - NO ONE made better games than they did  
Rare - for the old days

#31 Edited by zameer (605 posts) -

It'd have to be Blizzard! They seem incapable of making anything but amazing games and try their best to align consumer interests with their own.

Morhaime gave a pretty insightful lecture detailing their corporate strategy and explaining how loving games is very much a job requirement there, worth a watch. A duder's hosting it here.

#32 Posted by Hosstile17 (762 posts) -

Criterion, Turn 10, and Bungie.

#33 Posted by Yummylee (21200 posts) -

Once upon a time, it was CAPCOM; then it was BioWare.. these days, Rockstar is who's hittin the big leagues for my affections!

#34 Posted by Nikral (288 posts) -

Blizzard - because I know that ever single one of their games will be polished and will keep my attention for a long time. 

#35 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2717 posts) -

Rockstar hasn't disappointed me yet.

#36 Posted by Animasta (14632 posts) -

Atlus (best JRPG's around dawg)
Obsidian (Bioware wishes they were this good at story stuff)
Valve (obviously)

#37 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Valve. 

I'll reconsider this decision the day they make a bad game.

#38 Edited by jrodrz (155 posts) -

Rockstar, Remedy and Ubisoft. They all put great storytelling together with great gameplay

#39 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

twisted pixel 
Bioware 
Bethesda 
double fine 
#40 Posted by spankingaddict (2655 posts) -

Sucker Punch are my favorite devs. All 5 of there games, I loved to death. Rocket: Robot on Wheels, the Sly Cooper trilogy, and InFamous.

Honorable Mentions: Platinum games, Double Fine, Naughty Dog, and Insomniac.

#41 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I need to play SpyFiction before I put Access Games on this list, don't I... 

Otherwise, Team Meat, Frictional, Criterion, BioWare, Harmonix, Irrational, and Kairosoft all come to mind as consistent developers I'm cheering for constantly.

#42 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (754 posts) -

Rockstar and Bioware, they have a lot more hits than misses, so i can always count on them.

#43 Posted by buhssuht (437 posts) -

Atlus, nuff said

#44 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -

1. BioWare: I spend so much time in the games. Despite the bias and having worked on it ME2 was my most played game of 2010.
2. Double Fine: Just simply love their smaller, quirky titles, and no other company does humour in videogames like they do.   

Beyond these 2, there are a myriad companies that I'll gladly keep supporting because of their recent work. Hothead, Blizzard, Valve, Bethesda, Criterion, Visceral , Twisted Pixel and to some degree Ubisoft.

#45 Posted by Sinkwater (513 posts) -

I love Valve because they first loved me.

#46 Edited by President_Barackbar (3415 posts) -

Bethesda- The Elder Scrolls and the new Fallout series are really amazing
DICE- Can't go wrong with Battlefield
Ubisoft- Splinter Cell (classic, none of this Conviction crap) and Assassin's Creed are two of the greatest game franchises ever
And while I haven't played too many of their games, Rockstar is quickly becoming one of my favorites with their great attention to detail in Red Dead Redemption

#47 Posted by ImBigInJapan (250 posts) -

Out of studios that are alive and kicking I have to go with Valve.  I'm big on Platinum Games as well, and Frictional is The Little Studio That Could.

I miss Black Isle.

#48 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

I guess if it came right down to it it would be Valve, hands down. 

But, if we're talking about devs who's games I always buy, Double Fine, Clover/Platinum, Naughty Dog, Grasshopper, Retro, Game Freak, and whatever constitutes Nintendo's R&D1 nowadays.

#49 Posted by AllahuAkbar (2 posts) -
Obsidian - they've made the best RPG's in the history of gaming, plus their games are the best written and some of the most innovative and unique out there. If someone can make a game that could be categorized as art it's only Obsidian, and I think they've already achieved it with Planescape: Torment

Valve - not only for their games but also for Steam, the best gaming platform out there

One developer I'll be checking out from now on is Larian, their last game Divinity 2 DKS was really really good, much better than hyped up turds like Oblivion, Fable or Dragon Age. Too bad they didn't have the money for marketing campaigns and buying reviews so DKS flew under the radar completely.
#50 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

Bioware used to be big for me, but after all of the bullshit they've been putting people through I hate them more than Rebecca Black.