• 128 results
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I know some people Love it and some people Loath it.
I for one love it. I don't know, i suppose it's just the way i grew up in Canada and listened to it.
So what do you think?

Do you think it's just all mumbling or "Retards attempting Poetry"?
 Be as critical as you like. 

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Music is like candy.
You always throw away the rappers.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

As you already know, I don't like it. The lyrics sound so infantile and silly. It's all about "bitches", wealth, power and respect whilst dissing other rappers. I may be stereotpying here but there's always an ounce of truth in stereoptypes.

OctaneHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By OctaneHugo

Depends what kind of rap you mean. If you mean REAL rap, the stuff released "back in the day" that had some actual meaning to it and had awesome rhythm and great beats and was made by skilled musicians, then I like it very much.

If you mean the sorry excuse for music that most people consider rap today, complete with meaningless lyrics bout dem bitchez and/or hoez, autotune and da bling bling, that stuff is trash and should be eradicated from memory.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By ArcBorealis

Only rap soundtrack I think I actually liked was Madworld's. Other than that. I don't like it.

The subject of the lyrics, whatever they may be, don't put me off. But the actual vocals. The voices just irritate me. 

Personally, if I could just take out all the lyrics and just had the beat, I would be totally fine with that. I like drum and bass stuff, and that's how I picture rap. D&B with lyrics.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror

I would prefer to listen to spoken word rather than Rap, or rather, "commercial rap". I love the work that Saul Williams does, his spoken word work far exceeds his hip-hop work. 

As far as I know, with all this commericial "image" that rap has, I don't know what Rap means or what it is supposed to represent. It doesn't help that it crosses paths with Hip-Hop all the time, I can't tell between the two.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@eroticfishcake said:
" As you already know, I don't like it. The lyrics sound so infantile and silly. It's all about "bitches", wealth, power and respect whilst dissing other rappers. I may be stereotpying here but there's always an ounce of truth in stereoptypes. "
Not so much stereotyping as you are generalizing, but I do understand your point. Most rap you hear on the radio is absolute garbage, but for every 100 crappers there is 1 person with actual meaning to his lyrics. Some get caught up in the money, bitches and rims aspect of the lifestyle, while others realize there are more important things to talk about. 

But again, I completely understand what you are saying and your not too far off base with it.
Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Oh boy, this isn't gonna go down very well. This site is filled with metal heads who think other genres of music is crap for no good reason, so mostly everybody is going to say that rap is crap.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Like everything else there is good hip-hop and bad hip-hop.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Interfect

Mostly the stuff that isn't radio freidnly hip-pop shit and all that anoyying as new rap music that is all the same money hoes shit. I like most of the Canadian rap music and the american east coast and other underground rap music. Like Army Of The Pharaohs, Jedi Mind Tricks and Styles Of Beyond. They all got soul yo.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Out_On_Bail: Yeah I think generalising is the better word for it. I do agree with you on your point as well. Although most do act like children, some really do care about their work since they've got the life experience to back it up. As far as I know, rap used to be quite accepted until recently.
Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Disengage

It's not rap, it's hip hop.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By billyhoush
@Disengage said:
" It's not rap, it's hip hop. "
Well, hip hop is made up of MCing (rap), DJing (turntablism), graffiti, and breakdacing...so rap music usually just refers to the MC element of Hip Hop.
Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Adamantium

Tupac is the shit. Everyone else just wishes they were as good as he was.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Whisperkill

Most is absolute garbage 

My friends always blast... gucci man or something, it sounds like trash 

Fort Minor and Eminem are good though
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By guiseppe

90's rap... Awesome. Today's rap, complete garbage. Everything is about how awesome they are because they have a ginormous house, gold teeth, ho's n bitches and so on. Also, most "rappers" of today are more RnB than anything else. In that case, it's all about "baby girl" and "fine" and "da club". That's on top of the rapper crap.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's definitely more skillful than most other genres of music. We've all heard of rap fights, but when was the last time you saw a rock-off outside Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny? I'm not insulting their awesomeness, just saying that it doesn't happen as often in rock.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Cerza

I can't stand it. To me it's not music. It just sounds like a bunch of drunk apes yelling at each other while they fight over a microphone.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese
 Yes.
 Yes.
 No.
 No.
deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deusdigit

A Lot of it is complete garbage. I'm really tired of the rap that plays nowadays. They use computers and Soundboards so badly that it feels randomly generated. I only like a select few rappers who actually try to do something cool. Common isn't so bad in my opinion, neither is Raphael Saadiq. but i guess i can't really classify him as a rap artist. Here's a example of what rap is to sum up. 

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By eclipsesis

Fort Minor are the only band i listen too in that genre, because the things that they mostly wright about are intelligent and relevant that mostly because of Mike shinoda. other than that the bands which i used to like no longer record and have been replaced with all this commercial shit, when we will people realise that they are listening to the same shitty song over and over again? 

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By baconbits33
@Video_Game_King said:
" It's definitely more skillful than most other genres of music. We've all heard of rap fights, but when was the last time you saw a rock-off outside Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny? I'm not insulting their awesomeness, just saying that it doesn't happen as often in rock. "
... I could go on for hours and hours on how stupid you just made yourself look but I figure I'll be blunt: Battle of the Bands.
ThrustMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ThrustMuscle

Im also Canadian and i grew up listening to rap music, as well as metal, punk, heavy metal, instrumental haha pretty much the works. All i have to say on the subject is that each music makes me feel a different way. Rap music, especially lil wayne who raps about being the shit, i love to listen to a song like "3peat" before i go hang out with a new chick because it helps me get my swagger on if you know what im saying. Like it makes you feel like the shit and who cares what other ppl think, if the chick likes you awesome if not then fuck it, other girls out there. Other rappers like eminem kind of help me get my armor on, because generally people are douche bags and listening to a song like "still dont give a fuck" by eminem helps me deal with assholes.  Back in my hockey days i loved listening to heavy metal before a game because of how it makes you feel, so aggressive and intense. Just my point of view, accept each type of music for what it is and enjoy it if you want, i dont hate on jazz music because i dont listen to it, to each his own.

wosifat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wosifat

I grew up with hip-hop, and I pretty much agree with the sentiment that the finest examples of the genre were produced back in the day, while most of what is marketed as "hip-hop" now really doesn't fit the bill.  
I'm reminded of an interview that Terrance Howard did on NPR about his role in "Hustle & Flow."  He said two things that really stood out and summed up today's rap music:
1. He was glad to learn that his character in the movie couldn't really rap that well, which most can't.
2. He mentioned that his character would basically sell anything that he could to make a dollar (drugs, woman, music) which seems to be the mindset of these "artists."  It's basically the same old drugs being sold by a different fool on a different corner.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love some rap, and hate some, and then I'm in the middle about some of it 

Storphrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Storphrax

Most of the stuff you hear on the radio is complete garbage, but there are still several good rappers left.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
@baconbits33: I'm not claiming to be an expert (far from it), just stating my opinion.
atlantabrave04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By atlantabrave04

In my opinion, rap is music. Music is art. Art cannot be defined as good or bad because it is a form of human expression.  I enjoy rap because it makes me feel good when I listen to it.  

SIMPLE
Galv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Galv

Say what I want about rap huh? Ok.  

I hate rap!!
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Absurd
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" Like everything else there is good hip-hop and bad hip-hop. "
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Yukoei

Its better than a bunch of dudes screaming out random shiit and head banging...

*runs*

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PureRok

It sucks.

To be fair, most metal sucks, too.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Shit.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By captain_clayman
@Adamantium said:
" Tupac is the shit. Everyone else just wishes they were as good as he was. "
pretty much 
him and maybe a FEW other dudes i can respect and tolerate, but all that soulja boy shit and lil wayne shit, fuck that
W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Its what I grew up on. I love it but in recent years it has been on the decline. It seems like it is going through it glam rock phase. Cats like Saul Williams, Shad, and K'naan give me some hope in the coming years of hip hop.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheFreeMan

Nearly all of it is pretty awful to me (I enjoy some Eminem, though). Whenever I happen to venture onto MuchMusic or something, it's always some pretty terrible and ridiculous rap song. But that's just me.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By baconbits33
@Video_Game_King said:
" @baconbits33: I'm not claiming to be an expert (far from it), just stating my opinion. "
Well that's given your not a expert nobody is on this website when it comes to music, but I mean, it's common sense to know Battle of the Bands. I mean for godsakes theres freakin dozens of big time movies based off of it, hell even the main star of the movie you mentioned Tenacious D: The Pick of Destiny, made a movie that revolved around the Battle of the Bands.
Scorpinox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Scorpinox

I grew up with Hip Hop and it's been the best genre of music for me until a few years ago,now it's in the ER on life support because record execs are pushing for what sells instead of what we want to listen to.Eminem and a bunch of specific artists I was always listening to are still good,but garbage artists like Lil Wayne selling commercial material off as Hip Hop are just tarnishing the genre as a whole. 

So,my view is I don't give a fuck about it anymore cause I listen to alot of other music  more frequently than Hip Hop.
eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By eclipsesis
@PureRok said:
" It sucks.  To be fair, most metal sucks, too. "
Hannah Montana FTW
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Absurd
@Adamantium said:
Biggie Smalls is better than Tupac :)
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By baconbits33
@atlantabrave04 said:
" In my opinion, rap is music. Music is art. Art cannot be defined as good or bad because it is a form of human expression.  I enjoy rap because it makes me feel good when I listen to it.    SIMPLE "
Really? Really? Now I listen to rap, I like some of it (The Black Album was the greatest rap album of all time in my opinion) but.... seriously? Art can be bad, it can be really really really bad lol. Like... Tupac... I couldn't help but laugh so hard that I was about to throw up whenever I heard California Love. Then there's freakin people who call Black Eyed Peas rap.... now I consider it hip/hop but.... well polish a piece of shit it's still a piece of shit. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Video_Game_King
@baconbits33: 

Take notice of the "far from it" part. It explains a lot.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Some rap music is okay if the lyrics are good.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Adamantium
@Absurd said:
" @Adamantium said:
Biggie Smalls is better than Tupac :) "
Lolz! Haha thx dude. I haven't had a good laugh today, until that!
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By bubahula
@Yukoei:
agreed 100%  
i hate that fuckin music. 
as for hip hop. alot of it is shit, and that mostly the mainstream shit  
but guys like DOOM are amazing. i also have a hefty amount of wu-tang on my ipod. il take that over any shitty metal any day. 

as  far as im concerned there are few things as fantasitic as this.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

There are very very few "Rap" songs I can listen to and I meen only listen to it, I still wouldn't enjoy it.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By baconbits33
@Video_Game_King said:
" @baconbits33:   Take notice of the "far from it" part. It explains a lot. "
I did, but I felt more compelled to make a personal attack to you, however I ended up softening the blow.... however I can see now that when it comes to people with the IQ of a paperclip... not a good idea to go soft on them...
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Absurd
@Adamantium said:
" @Absurd said:
" @Adamantium said:
Biggie Smalls is better than Tupac :) "
Lolz! Haha thx dude. I haven't had a good laugh today, until that! "
That's right, shake it off. One day you'll recognize.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By grilledcheez

I don't understand how everybody is judging rap based on the leading mainstream artists...if I judged rock and metal by those same standards it would be complete shit too.  Take a step back and examine your arguments from time to time.  I like some rap.