What was your first game you ever played?

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By thomasnash

The first game that springs to mind is when my brother borrowed a copy of C&C to play on our 286 machine. I can't remember exactly, I think we booted it from DOS but we might have gone through Windows 3.1. Around the same time we also had Warcraft which I have fond memories of.

But I think actually my first games would have been on a BBC Micro we had in the shed at the bottom of our garden. We had a 7.5 inch floppy with frogger, asteroids and a game called something like Bone Crunchers that had some sick as all hell music. It also had pob.

If you'll allow me to go down memory lane for a moment here, I have really fond memories of a lot of my early game experiences. My dad is the MD of a localisation company, and although these days they mostly do technical software stuff, at the time they did quite a few games, and he'd usually bring copies of them home for us. Wordmunchers and Numbermunchers were both favourites of mine (I honestly think Word Munchers is a great educational game, I found it super fun and it definitely taught me a lot more about grammar and vocab than I was learning at school at the time), but the games that loom largest in my mind were the super solvers games. Operation Neptune, which was all maths I think, was great. The ending where your submarine turns into a helicopter blew my young mind at the time. We also had one where you have to try and build machines to race a crazy professor who has taken over a science complex using monkeys. The monkeys could be avoided by giving them bananas which sent them to sleep. The game was basically that you had to find machine parts, and every door had to be unlocked by solving a science question. Again, I think I had an easy ride in secondary school because of these games teaching me a lot of basic concepts early.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#102  Edited By Kazona

The first game I ever played was Pong.

cigaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By cigaro

It was some submarine game on the PC backkkkk in the day. Probably like 1997 or 8?

I really dont remember the name of it, but me and my dad played it. It was a submarine game where you could go in the sub and you had to fight other subs. I wish i remember

It could have definitely been aces of the deep. Not entirely sure though

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

This is going to date me a bit, but my first memories of playing a video game were with Pokemon Blue. Boy did I obsess over that game as a kid. I do recall having a Genesis way after the fact, so it was probably frogger or sonic. Pokemon blue simply stands as my first cognizant memories.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By bigjeffrey

I have no idea.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By aceofspudz

Donkey Kong on the ColecoVision.

I was so young at the time I have no memory of it, but I've received confirmation from a third party. As far as games I have a memory of, that would be Microsoft Flight Simulator (v2.0) for the Mac 512k. If you're talking about games I actually managed to figure out how to play, it would be Indianapolis 500: The Simulation. The first game I was any good at was Tetris for MS-DOS.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It was either Super Mario Bros on the NES or one of the various games on our Atari 2600. I know we had the Atari before I got my NES but I dont know if I ever played it until later.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#108  Edited By penguindust

Hard for me to precisely recall, but Seawolf I from 1976 sticks in my mind. I vaguely remember someone holding me up so I could see through the periscope as a child. It was my first visit to an arcade and amid the pinball and carnival-style games, they had a hand full of these new machines. I was immediately enamored and have remained so throughout my life.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I want to say it was Donkey Kong Country when my parents got me a Super Nintendo for me for Christmas as a kid, but there may have been something else beforehand.

von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By von_wemberg

A collection of sports games on a weird console... Should dig that up some time and check out if it even turns on...

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#111  Edited By Seppli

The Eidolon by LucasArts. Played on the Commodore 64. Believe it or not, it was kind of an ego-shooter. How far we've come.

Loading Video...

Though it might have been Space Quest 1 after all. The theme is unforgettable to me.

Loading Video...

Minideathninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Golden eye or the legend of zelda ocarina of time something like that...

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Based on Memory it was probably Alex Kidd on the Mastersytem (it was built in)

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Some version of Pong I think. IIRC I played someone else's game. But what stands out more was Asteroids in an arcade...knew pinball domination was probably over. On a console, I think it was Lee Trevino: Fighting Golf. On a Genesis maybe? Wasn't my system or game but I got really into it after work every day for quite a while; fun ass game.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We had a bunch of games on an old PC when I was a kid. I remember Paratrooper and Q*Bert. Not long after that, my parents bought a NES with Super Mario Bros.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Don't know, the first game I ever watched was Mega Man though.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Probably the Donkey Kong Junior Game & Watch.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Hosstile17

I can't be sure. But, my first memories are of Frogger and Empire Strikes Back on the Atari 2600.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By gunstar

Pole Position.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fairly positive that it was a PC game released in the very late nineties, but that's about all I've got. My most significant early gaming memories are of Halo: CE, KotOR and Star Trek: Bridge Commander.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

Altered Beast.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm pretty sure it was Mario Bros for the NES, at my neighbours cottage. We got a SNES a year later, and my first longer term, invested experience was Super Mario World. The best Mario. Come at me.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario All-Stars

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mega Man 2

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By UitDeToekomst

oh boy... the first one I have a concrete memory of is that Star Wars game from the early 80s. We had both a 2600 and a ColecoVision, so i am not sure which version I played. Something makes me want to say the 2600 version. I would have been about 4 or 5 years old I guess. I have to imagine that I had played a few prior to that, though, that I don't remember.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By chrjz

I think it was SMB or Duck Hunt... I don't know how you guys can remember that far back.

Those games were before my time, even. I remember my sitter had a NES, though. There were probably some PC games I played before that, if you count Reader Rabbit.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Pac-Man

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was either Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Golden Axe on the PC.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first system was the Sega Master System and I got R-Type with it for Christmas, hell of a first game. But I do remember playing atari before that, not the games though.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By jsnyder82

Froggie on the Atari 7800. I'm old.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#134  Edited By wmoyer83

My dad was stationed in Okinawa when I was a wee lad, and they had a arcade of Japanese games. I think the first game I ever played was some dodgeball game, and when you hit the other guys they literally died and had their angels float out of their bodies.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh fuck...

Hocus Pocus, maybe? Or Sonic CD. Those are the games I have the fondest memories of.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played some game where you were an archer on the left side of the screen and shot baloons that came up on the right on different formations. I have no idea what it's called and it would be awesome if anyone recognizes this and knows the name.

The first game I played that I also know the name of is Earthworm Jim on the SNES or some of the real early NHL on PC.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By DeadpanCakes

I'm sure I played something else before this, but my earliest memories of video games was of me playing Super Mario World on my uncle's Snes. My brother would have me farm lives in the first level so that he wouldn't hafta worry about getting a game over in the later stuff.... Good times.

Soap_of_Death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it was either Super Mario Bros or TMNT on the NES.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#139  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There might have been others, but the first game I remember is playing (at a birthday party in kindergarden as far as I recall) is Golden Axe on the Mega Drive. Still a great game!

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We borrowed my uncle's NES for a while, and I remember playing Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. It was the cart with World Class Track Meet on it as well, but the Power Pad didn't seem to work. I was... four, I think. Shortly afterwards my Dad brought home a Sega Genesis with Sonic 2 and Mickey Mania: The Timeless Adventures of Mickey Mouse.

So first game ever was SMB, and I'm pretty sure Mickey Mania would be the first game I played that belonged to me.

mina_mina752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

first game ever: street fighter 2

first sega mega drive game: sonic the hedghog

first ps1 game: crash team racing

first pc game: heart of darkness

ftrevelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By ftrevelin

Probably something on Atari 2600, no idea what... but really playing something, having an actual idea whats going on at the screen, that should be one of the TMNTs for the NES

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Either Mario Bros. or Castlevania. Was playing at my cousin's place and even though I don't remember all that well, I was hooked on games from the start.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Absolutely cannot remember. Possibly Pacman or some Atari 2600 game.

S3v3nS1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By S3v3nS1ns

I know this wasn't the point of my thread. But you can roughly tell people's age from their answers. And it seems this forum has a more mature user base than perhaps you would think.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...Sonic 2 for the Genesis? Or was it one of the Mario games on the NES? I was really young at the time, so it's one giant, trippy blur at this point in my life. I'd have to ask my aunt.

LoveSpuds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would imagine it was Combat, Asteroids, Defender or Outlaw on the Atari 2600. The one from that period that stands out though was Pitfall - I loved that as a kid.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

UMK3, when I was... 4 I think. Some dingy laundromat or family arcade, I forget which, had it and I was drawn in by the dumb as shit cabinet art.

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I have vague memories of some kind of side-scrolling-ish shooter game on the old Commodore 64. The first game that I can name that I remember playing would either be JumpMan on the C64, or something on the Atari 2600...either Combat or Empire Strikes Back.