What's Missing In Modern Warfare 2?

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By PhilESkyline

IGN has an article about violence and video games and one of their critics,  Michael Thomsen,  spoke on it in the video from ABC News.

He does have a point but I'd like to hear your thoughts. 

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PhilESkyline

IGN has an article about violence and video games and one of their critics,  Michael Thomsen,  spoke on it in the video from ABC News.

He does have a point but I'd like to hear your thoughts. 

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Clubvodka

I think he's looking too deep into the game. It was never supposed to be a social comment of any kind- not on the surface of least. Being a media student for the past 4 years I've been taught to find meaning in things but its easy to see MW2 is a video game, made to sell, designed to entertain people....and that's about it. 

Now if he wants to get serious lets talk about that sex scene in Mass Effect!
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I would rather shoot dudes and not get preached at, thanks.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By fwylo

I can see what he's getting at with the detachment of MW2 from a real war or a real war simulator.  But he says they didn't try or care enough to put it in the video game?  I feel like they know exactly what they are creating when they create this arcade like shooter.  Sure The story line is intense and has resemblance to real war situations.  But the fact that it is a video game makes it exactly what it is, a source of entertainment and not a war simulator.

Nuttycam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Nuttycam
@fwylo said:

" I can see what he's getting at with the detachment of MW2 from a real war or a real war simulator.  But he says they didn't try or care enough to put it in the video game?  I feel like they know exactly what they are creating when they create this arcade like shooter.  Sure The story line is intense and has resemblance to real war situations.  But the fact that it is a video game makes it exactly what it is, a source of entertainment and not a war simulator. "

resemblance to real war situations?
No Caption Provided
Yep.
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fwylo
@Nuttycam: I didn't say the WHOLE story line... Obviously there is crazy shit that happens.  But are you going to say there is NOTHING that resembles real war?
Nuttycam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nuttycam

True, I was only joking. I just think it's pretty obviously not a serious game that's really trying say anything about war.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By ErgoProxy77

This guy does not realize that Infinity Ward was trying to make a war action game, not a war documentary game.  He wants it to be something it isn't.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Skald

Seems a bit alarmist to me. If I were going to criticize the game's story, I'd say: 
"This game is exactly like a certain thirteen year old Micheal Bay movie." 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

DEDICATED SERVERS.

/thread.

Nuttycam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nuttycam

The enitire Airport thing was just horrible. Horrible in the way they handled it. It shouldn't have been included in a such a silly game and that's why it stands out. Infinity Ward just sort of jammed this super serious moment in a silly action movie and it just felt like it was just to cause outrage and not affect the player in any meaningful way.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By RankRabbit

Hmmm, gives me more reason to believe Giant Bomb > IGN. Dude just wanted to be on TV, and the whole thing sounds like whining.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

modern warfare 2 is missing a lot of things like why are there people in the white house. sometimes in multiplayer it can be like real world with tactics. when me and some friends play we are like there is a guy right there. they are taking C. things like that.

Avatar image for desmondfromthehatch
desmondfromthehatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Master Chief

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nail1080

Sonic the Hedgehog!

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

Michael Thomsen said that Metroid Prime is the Citizen Kane of gaming. 

I think he's just trying a little bit too hard to be Anthony Burch of Destructoid.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheMustacheHero

He's over thinking it, It's a video game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Jimbo

Which 'target' does he think MW2 misses exactly?  Certainly not the target they were aiming for, which was sales.  

He's correct that it doesn't have anything 'important' to say, but I don't think Acti or IW ever tried to pretend that it does.  It's just an action game - it seems extremely pretentious for a significant minority of the games media to be criticizing the game for missing a target the developers didn't even attempt to aim at.

Not every game needs to be some arthouse wank flick, and if MW2 were, you wouldn't be on the news talking about it because it wouldn't have sold a bazillion copies in the first 24 hours.