• 60 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Poll What's the best podcast game of 2016? (368 votes)

Stardew Valley 24%
Starbound 5%
No Man's Sky 20%
Overwatch 11%
Something you forgot, you idiot! 24%
I don't know what a podcast is, but I want results! 15%

The phrase "podcast game" has become more and more ubiquitous these days. The only reason I cleared out the entire map of Saints Row 4 is because I listened to podcasts during the grind.

So, I was curious what 2016 game, this community, thought was the best game to play whilst listening to their favorite neo-radio program.

I got into a bad habit of always listening to podcasts while playing a game. this would result in my pausing the game and then the podcast whenever cut scene would roll up. Now I try to have a game that lends itself well to podcast listening, to help me from tainting other game experiences with them.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I wish I could listen to a podcast whilst playing overwatch but the sound is so vital that I am far too scared to turn it down

Avatar image for rauthelegendary
RauTheLegendary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Grim Dawn is pretty high up there for me. Sound is quite important in Overwatch but I do occasionally play it while listening to podcasts if I'm not in ranked.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nothing in 2016 for me.

Minecraft still remains the best podcast game for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@yesiamaduck: I'm pretty much just playing unranked matches. I play the podcast through my phone's speakers and I can get a pretty good balance between it and the TV. Also I'm playing on PS4 so who really cares?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mems1224

Mine are NBA 2K and No Mans Sky

IDK how anyone can have something playing in the background while playing a multiplayer game. Im way too focused on the game to even listen to something else. Plus in the two multiplayer games I mostly play right now(Overwatch and RB6) sound is incredibly important.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigsocrates

I think No Man's Sky basically requires a podcast or something else. The soundtrack isn't...bad...per se but it is sort of ambient and uninteresting, and the game requires lots of resource harvesting and mostly consists of down time. It also makes sense within the context of the game that your explorer would have SOMETHING to listen to other than his suit whining whenever its life support gets below 75%. I actually really wish the game had music you could collect or even a pangalactic GTA style radio system (Though I understand why that would damage the tone they are going for.)

I echo others who say that sound is important to gameplay in Overwatch AND that it requires too much focus to also listen well to something else while playing.

Avatar image for anonymous_jesse
Anonymous_Jesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocket League.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rocket League.

Dat Soundtrack Though!

It's not a 2016 game, but yeah, anything you play for hundreds of hours is going to end up a podcast game kind of by default.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Dark Souls III for me. Running up and down that final bridge to grind for hours was a zen experience with a podcast going.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Kingdom, easily for me. But Overwatch is a close second.

My biggest gripe with playing games with a podcast running in the background, is when there's story involved. I usually don't play with a dedicated player that can play/pause using my keyboard's mediakeys. It either gets super chatty, and i lose interest in the game real fast. Or I have to alt-tab like crazy, meaning i usually need to run it in windowed. Removing the immersion even more.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't often listen to podcasts while playing games, but I do put GB stuff on my ipad while playing games. Most GB content has become 75% audio only for me.

Overwatch is good for this setup. Sound is important, but you really just need to be able to hear Ult barks for the most part.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Stellaris was definitely mine for a good while

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is no way can I play Overwatch competative whilst listening to a podcast. I voted Stardew Valley and I haven't even played the game yet. It just looks so relaxing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

I'm not really into watching or listening to something else while playing games, but I did end up listening to the beastcast while playing Evochron Legacy, and that worked out alright.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

My actual podcast game tends to be "walking" but if I do play a game alongside that it's probably Clash Royale (for all of 20-30 minutes tops) or Hearthstone. Maybe Dots if I really need something to do while I'm listening and am out of other ideas. I could include Minecraft but I don't really play it all that much any more. Out of those options, I could definitely see No Man's Sky as a pick, or perhaps Stardew Valley (but I'd have to pause the podcast for any dialogue-heavy sections).

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Sports games. Always sports games.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ehbunner

No Mans Sky has been a godsend for getting through podcasts, I had the entire second season of Serial I really wanted to listen to but needed a game to play with it and just didn't have anything I wanted to play enough to get me through it, so it sat on the back burner for the last 8 or 9 months. I had also fallen off of my GB podcasts for the most part which bummed me out but I just can't listen I need something to do and it can't be too involved otherwise I'm not paying attention to it and it defeats the purpose.

Needless to say since NMS has been released I've finished Serial and gotten back into the Beastcast...Bombcast solved my problem with the new video option

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

MLB The Show 16 and No Man's Sky for me. Special runner up to The Witcher 3 when I'm just clearing out question marks or playing gwent.

megabattimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twilight Struggle.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch is definitely not a podcast game. I remember nothing about the podcast when I'm playing games. All my attention is on playing.

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crusader Kings 2 is my go to, even in 2016. Stardew Valley has become a close second, though.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Minecraft has always been my go to podcast game. It doesn't require a whole lot of attention even when playing survival on the hardest difficulty (which I do). As for games that came out this year, I believe Trackmania Turbo was a 2016 release. That was a good one to play while listening to podcasts.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I usually save podcasts for work and commutes.

anarchobama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll turn my podcasts off when I'm fighting a monster for the first time, but Monster Hunter Generations (like all MH games) is good for podcasts when you're trying to grind out some armor or completing gathering quests.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I find it hard with most games to do anything else, but I can usually eek out half of what ios being said on any given podcast when playing No Man's Sky. It is actually a problem, even listening to just a podcast on the sofa or at the gym I can sometimes 'tune-out' thus missing what is being said.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

For the most part, The Witness is a quiet game, so I suppose you may as well put a podcast on while solving some puzzles.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

RimWorld is fantastic for this.

mgalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Souls games have kinda been my go-to podcast games so it'd be Dark Souls III for me. I think the fact that there's usually no music and that you'll be repeating a lot of the same areas over and over is what makes it in my experience.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Monster Hunter Generations is turning into a podcast game for me.

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go with the Rorie's choice WoW honestly. Especially with legion coming out. Although with the new xpac I do read all the quests the first time through, but after that it is great :P

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SaFt

I've been playing a lot of Street Fighter V (to the point where it's almost the only game i play nowadays) and other than maybe missing parts of the podcast here and there during the more intense matches it's a perfect podcast game.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most MMO's really

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say either No Man's Sky (I kind of need to listen/watch something while playing it) or Stardew Valley.

Sidenote: I want that next damn Stardew Valley patch! Soon.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God Eater Resurrection has been pretty great, and I 'll probably just roll right into 2 when that comes out in a week or so.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I'm playing some Monster Hunter tri right now and man, that's a good podcast game. I also think the Dark Souls games work as a podcast game. Fifa is also wonderful.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ripelivejam

still die-ah-blow 3 for me. i assume destiny and the division would fill that hole nicely too.

also multitasking to get all of our entertainment jollies in. what a time to be alive.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only way I can keep track of pod-casts (be they the actual play roleplaying of RPPR or GB stuff) is when I am doing something akin to driving a car. I.e. I can focus on the pod-cast and auto-pilot the activity I am also doing.

Not that I thus crash my car all the time but in the same way you can listen to the radio and drive safely kinda manner.

The only two games I have ever found I am able to do this in is Minecraft, many years ago, and a Android version of Sudoku at a level where I can solve it without thinking and with a number of helps turned on (auto fill possible numbers).

Anything else and I end up losing focus on something. I do have pandora or google play on in the background instead however for most every game I play except those I absolutely know have a good sound track (or are heavily voice-acted).

It might just be my head-space but I don't think I could multi-task a pod-cast and any other game. I just don't play enough of any one game to have an 'auto-pilot' mode for it. I am sure if I played Diablo 3 every season or had 10 years WoW experience, those would count. But I don't so..yup. Its just Sudoku for me. Which I think is sorta unique since i have a mind for numbers.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

Roguelikes and roguelike-likes have always been reliable podcast games for me.

For 2016 releases, Enter The Gungeon is my go-to podcast game. It's engaging but not overly difficult, and you don't really need the volume up to play it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Starbound. Nice to build your cozy base while listening to a podcast.

More actiony games like Overwatch tend to take more of my attention, so I end up tuning out the podcast and missing most of it.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine is rimworld. Yea it's not "2016" but I discovered it a month before the quick look on gb so everyone can just mind their business.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shiren the Wanderer on vita. It's a (mostly) traditional, turn based roguelike, so it makes for a good podcast game.

Incredibly stessful, though.

domineeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Tricky Towers

JohnRizzoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definitely No Man's Sky

fightingfalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Up until Stardew Valley came out the only games I consistently played while listening to podcasts where roguelites like The Binding of Issac, Spelunky, and FTL.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I voted for Overwatch because it is the one I have been using lately, but No Man's Sky seems ideal as a podcast game... relatively slow, doesn't require much concentration, long periods of almost nothing, and podcasts take you out of that soporific music.

Also, I used a lot of Grim Dawn this year. It is like Diablo but slower (a better comparison would be like Titan Quest but Lovecraftian), and after a few hours of character building, it is relatively easy to plow through the game without requiring much focus.

etos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you enjoy a game if you listen to podcast while playing as much as you'd enjoy it otherwise, without more info having to pay attention to? If a game is trying to create a certain setting, doesn't a podcast kind of "destroys" it? You're not getting full experience, are you?

@sravankb: Now that I think about Minecraft as podcast game, it might actually be the best so far ...

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WoW Legion prepatch stuff. Stardew is close second, NMS would be one but I would have to play that and thats not gonna happen

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#48 FinalDasa  Moderator

Adventure Capitalist

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The Old Republic Online has been getting some ok expansions and it's been fun to play while I listen to podcasts this year for some reason. The game is about as meaningless as most MMOs are now (in terms of meaningful progression) but there's still some good stories in there.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Factorio. Suddenly, the podcast is done and you can't comprehend how those 2+ hours just left you like that.