What's the most popular fighting game for tourny players in '13?

Slumberpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Slumberpunch

Does anything top the popularity of SSF4 Arcade Edition? I'm thinking EVO 2013. What game draws the biggest audience? Thanks...I haven't been following the scene lately.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By algertman

SFxT post the new patch for a more level playing field. Most of the other games have been around for years at this point and are harder to be competitive in. In my opinion, pick a whatever game you have the most fun with and stick with it.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Petiew

I'd say it's Ultimate marvel vs Capcom 3. Always draws the biggest crowd.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BisonHero

@algertman said:

SFxT post the new patch for a more level playing field. Most of the other games have been around for years at this point and are harder to be competitive in. In my opinion, pick a whatever game you have the most fun with and stick with it.

I think he's just factually asking "Which game is most popular with the FGC right now?" It doesn't sound like he's asking what game would be easiest to get into.

And yeah, the most popular game for tournaments like EVO is still Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By altairre

It's Mahvel baby! Always draws the biggest crowds and more often than not the biggest hype (in spite of Chris G's dominance with Morrigan which is imho not really fun to watch).

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Scooper

SSFIVAE:2012ED all day every day baby. That shit's my jaaaaaaaaaaam

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

As other have said Marvel is the biggest game in terms of attendance and viewers. For good reason too, that game is fun to watch.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Nothing beats Marvel.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lukeweizer

Marvel seems to be pretty popular. I'm more of a fan of SFIV and Mortal Komabt.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alkaiser

Marvel and Street Fighter. Though KOF will be my highlight hopefully considering the outstanding showing at EVO last year.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Alkaiser said:

Marvel and Street Fighter. Though KOF will be my highlight hopefully considering the outstanding showing at EVO last year.

KOF13 is a great game. The issue with it is that most of the best players are international so local tournaments are not great. EVO however should fun to watch as it was last year.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TyCobb

@Petiew said:

I'd say it's Ultimate marvel vs Capcom 3. Always draws the biggest crowd.

That was by far the most entertaining part of EVO last year. It was just so much fun watching that game.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By FLStyle

@Slumberpunch said:

Does anything top the popularity of SSF4 Arcade Edition? I'm thinking EVO 2013. What game draws the biggest audience? Thanks...I haven't been following the scene lately.

Factually speaking, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 draws the most attendants and stream viewers.

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alkaiser

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Alkaiser said:

KOF13 is a great game. The issue with it is that most of the best players are international so local tournaments are not great. EVO however should fun to watch as it was last year.

Yeah, but the crazy international streams help feed my fix. But yeah, I'm crazy excited to see if Bala gets his payback against MadKOF or if someone else will take the top. I've been really impressed with a lot of players.

Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I would have guessed SF4. I didn't realize MvC3 was so popular.

Really happy to see KOF13 gaining steam though. It's really fun to watch the pro's play that game. The way you can make a comeback with an HD combo off an opponents misstep can be epic. COUGH Takuma COUGH

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crysack

In the West? UMvC3. It's pretty much the flashiest and most casual of the currently trendy fighting games so it's not hard to see why it's the most popular in the US. The next most popular fighter in Western tournaments would have to be SF4:AE and after that would likely be Tekken Tag 2.

Things are slightly different over in South-East Asia. Tekken is far more popular and draws in more money in the arcades than SF4: AE does and UMvC3 has no arcade release so comparatively few play it in Korea and Japan. ArcSys fighters are also much more popular in Japan.

SFxT has long been considered a joke by both the SF and Tekken communities. It might change following the latest patch, but I sort of doubt it.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DukesT3

Mahevl?! I dunno.. maybe Persona? I hope Injustice picks up some steam, I plan on getting and probably get good at it for a week then get totally owned.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By laserbolts

Mahvel because there are a lot of colors flashing on the screen. Followed by SF. Cants wait for EVO this year. Watched it for like 10 hours straight or something last year and had a great time in the chat. I hope the horse head returns because that made a pretty impressive gif.

Ett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ett

There have been rumblings that there will be a new update (or even a mvc4) in the works.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mike

@Ett said:

There have been rumblings that there will be a new update (or even a mvc4) in the works.

There certainly isn't going to be a MVC4 this year...no way. It was ten years between 2 and 3, it's only been two years since 3 was released, and we haven't even heard an official announcement about any new games from anyone yet. Maybe in a couple of years at the earliest.

Dchao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dchao

Skull girls..? Heh.

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AMS

Defintely not SFXT, I went back and gave it a second chance last week when the new patch dropped and it's as dead as ever online.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShaggE

War Gods.

No, but really, I want to see some pro level War Gods.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Sooty

UMvC3 > AE > Tekken Tag 2 / SF x Tekken > KoF > anything else

SFxT was actually quite popular at Evo, I hope the 2013 patch made it more entertaining at tourneys because the core systems are very fun, just a shame about all the timeout and jab nonsense.

I'm so excited for Evo, SCR last month was awesome.