What's their to do on this site if you suck at writing?!?!

TomServo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TomServo

what's their to do on this site if you suck at writing? Any suggestions, because I personally do, suck, at writing, and would like to find some way of having a good time other than fooling myself into trying to write an article about some game I played.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Bulldog19892

Watch videos, read reviews and articles. That's pretty much it.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Dalai

Write something anyway... we'll try not to laugh too hard.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By dsplayer1010

Just mess around on the forums. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar
TomServo said:
"what's their to do on this site if you suck at writing? Any suggestions, because I personally do, suck, at writing, and would like to find some way of having a good time other than fooling myself into trying to write an article about some game I played."
Yeah you do suck at writing. Took me several read throughs before I understood wtf you were talking about.

Edit: the above line was meant to be tongue and cheek, and not a real insult.

But, nobody starts with writing perfect, and it is through practice like at this site that makes us better. So go and practice.
OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

As for editing on pages, you can link. For example, you can go onto a page that you want to help out on. Then you edit the objects, characters, concepts, and locations that appear in that game. No writing required.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By AndrewGaspar
StaticFalconar said:
"TomServo said:
"what's their to do on this site if you suck at writing? Any suggestions, because I personally do, suck, at writing, and would like to find some way of having a good time other than fooling myself into trying to write an article about some game I played."
Yeah you do suck at writing. Took me several read throughs before I understood wtf you were talking about.

But, nobody starts with writing perfect, and it is through practice like at this site that makes us better. So go and practice."

His post made perfect sense. I think the intelligent deficit is your problem, not his.
TomServo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By TomServo

yeah, I guess I was just wondering if there's anything to do on this site that's different then others other than the wiki stuff.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Red

Learn how to not suck at writing.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dude, from the post you just typed, it seems to me like you're fully capable of writing just fine for Giantbomb submissions. Also, dude, you know, it's encouraging when someone writes something for a game, even if it's not that good. When you write something that we see and don't like, we'll be encouraged to do it better. Or if it's good, we might want to just add something else to it that you may have missed. That way the community evolves. Don't be afraid that you're not good enough. Mods will submit anything decent for a page rather than having that page be blank. So long as it properly applies to the game and isn't filled with incorrect facts or anything. So dude, I say give it a shot. We're all here to help you out anyway and try to make this site like the ultimate game database.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By clarke0

Upload images and link pages together?

AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AvD

The irony in the title is funny in that you say you suck a writing and you use the wrong 'there'... nothing personal, just amused me.

Giant Bomb isn't all about submissions my friends, there is plenty of great content to read and watch.

roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By roushimsx
  • Enter in credits for games
  • Add releases for games
  • Enter in supporting data for games (especially accurate release dates, proper developer credits and publisher credits for the various regions)
  • Scan in cover artwork for games. Make sure you properly align and crop it.
  • Build basic franchise pages for series that need it.
  • Build basic character pages and link them to the appropriate games
  • Snag screenshots of games as you play through them and upload them for those games that don't have any screenshots yet. Especially for games released on multiple platforms but only have shots for one version (such as SNES vs Genesis).
  • Split pages for games that were completely different on multiple platforms but are currently combined. Call of Duty 4 for DS vs every other version, for example. Fill out the appropriate supporting data and throw in a blurb indicating that it's a different game to keep the merge happy folks from trying to get the page deleted.
  • Nominate duplicate pages for merging/deletion. Google and doublecheck to ensure that it's not a later rerelease with additional content beforehand.
  • Moderate images
  • Find a text heavy page and spice it up with some well placed screenshots. Practice on a dead and empty page to get the feel for how various image formatting options change the flow of the text and how things can change between the editing window and the actual entry. Sometimes a single screenshot with a short subtitle is all it takes to really add that "special something" to a page.

Tons of stuff to do and not enough time in the day. The little things add up pretty quick and every little bit makes a hell of a difference to the site overall.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jayge_

There are lots of things you could do.

As someone mentioned, linking- you can link concepts and franchises together and do all kinds of that better interconnects GiantBomb's network- one of the most important things on the website.

Images- you could upload images for games. Pictures are always accepted and many people upload them by the hundreds and it's something that is recognized as a good way to contribute and get points (although you may catch flack from envious bastards like me :-P).

Fact-checking. You might not be the best writer, but you could at least go to pages of games that you have played or know well and make sure everything is factually accurate and relevant. You may not be able to write sentences superbly, but you could still edit small things and correct future and past tense things or make sure something is written objectively (information-focused) instead of subjectively (opinion-focused).

There's a lot of stuff that you could do.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StaticFalconar
AndrewGaspar said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"TomServo said:

But, nobody starts with writing perfect, and it is through practice like at this site that makes us better. So go and practice."

His post made perfect sense. I think the intelligent deficit is your problem, not his."
AvD said:
"The irony in the title is funny in that you say you suck a writing and you use the wrong 'there'... nothing personal, just amused me.

Giant Bomb isn't all about submissions my friends, there is plenty of great content to read and watch,"
I'm not the only that caught it, Apparently AndrewGaspar don't know grammar either.
abombb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By abombb

Roushimsx said it better than I could.  Also, most people who write for this site aren't English majors, they just write for the games they know and enjoy.  Plus if you post in the forums often (or any forum on any site), it will help improve your writing.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_
StaticFalconar said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"TomServo said:

His post made perfect sense. I think the intelligent deficit is your problem, not his."
AvD said:
"The irony in the title is funny in that you say you suck a writing and you use the wrong 'there'... nothing personal, just amused me.

Giant Bomb isn't all about submissions my friends, there is plenty of great content to read and watch,"
I'm not the only that caught it, Apparently AndrewGaspar don't know grammar either."
It's not a question of knowing grammar, it's simply a question of being able to interpret English, even in a broken form. I'm rather confident that my writing skills are probably above yours, yet I understood Servo's post fully. Don't go insulting people who call you out on your own inability to grasp something.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StaticFalconar
Jayge said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"AndrewGaspar said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"TomServo said:

AvD said:

I'm not the only that caught it, Apparently AndrewGaspar don't know grammar either."
It's not a question of knowing grammar, it's simply a question of being able to interpret English, even in a broken form. I'm rather confident that my writing skills are probably above yours, yet I understood Servo's post fully. Don't go insulting people who call you out on your own inability to grasp something."
The fuck you think I'm writing on the forums for? To practice, numb nuts.

I edited my original post any way since my original comment was meant to be tongue and cheek playing to the OP insecurity; and not a real insult. Relax people.
roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By roushimsx
StaticFalconar said:
"Whatthe fuck do you think I'm writing on the forums for?"
Hi2u!

*hhuuuuuuuggggzzz*
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
StaticFalconar said:
"The fuck you think I'm writing on the forums for? To practice, numb nuts.

I edited my original post any way since my original comment was meant to be tongue and cheek playing to the OP insecurity; and not a real insult. Relax people."
Take it easy sugartits. It's AndrewGaspar, the Irish flame, who you don't want to go pissing off.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StaticFalconar

Yeah, Jayge and AndrewGaspar are pretty flaming Gay.

(And this is coming from someone that willingly has anal sex with men.)

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayge_
StaticFalconar said:
"Yeah, Jayge and AndrewGaspar are pretty flaming Gay.

(And this is coming from someone that willingly has anal sex with men.)"
... what?
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StaticFalconar
Jayge said:
"StaticFalconar said:
"Yeah, Jayge and AndrewGaspar are pretty flaming Gay.

(And this is coming from someone that willingly has anal sex with men.)"
... what?"
Just testing to see if people can understand tongue and cheek.

btw this is online, I don't care if you have nuclear launch codes aimed at my house, everybody is free game for harmless insults (Irish flame or not). Your dicks gotta be pretty damn small before you try to resolve online disputes in real life.
roushimsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By roushimsx
StaticFalconar said:
"btw this is online, I don't care if you have nuclear launch codes aimed at my house, everybody is free game for harmless insults (Irish flame or not). Your dicks gotta be pretty damn small before you try to resolve online disputes in real life."
That reminds me of this wonderful little classic image:
caption
caption
Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gameboi

I wouldn't worry about it. This is just a place shoot the breeze about  video games and such. As long as readers can at least understand what you are trying to say, you'll do just fine. Unless you plan on making a living off of it, your technical skill when it comes to writing won't be an issue. Sure, you'll find a few people out there who will point out your mistakes along the way  --- but that hardly matters.  It's not like they are going to come to your house, bust down your door, and force you to diagram a sentence ;-)

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Keeng

There are people who will bash you for being a bad writer sometimes, but most of us are here to hang out. Your opinions on various topics are still interesting and I can't imagine many people in the forums being annoyed by your writing. You'll be fine. Plus you can do all the things the people here have posted and still enjoy the site.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb

I'm a very good writer, but rarely do I exercise my talent on GiantBomb. I have fun here; once and a while post a blog, dig up interviews of games I'm excited for, post in topics that interest me (or provide an opportunity for a "that's what she said",) and generally watch the videos and have some lulz.

My point is that you don't need to be a poet to contribute to GiantBomb. Just don't be a jerk/stupid and all will be fine.