Unreal Engine 3 was AWESOME.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By xyzygy

I'm right into Far Cry 2 right now and I'm loving whatever engine it uses.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By CL60

cryengine

s3ank1m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By s3ank1m
@Absurd said:
" Source engine <3 "
Best engine EVER!
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By The_A_Drain

Certainly not Source. That thing is a fucking pig to work with since the updates broke everything in sight. Originally it was fine provided you could deal with the occasional steam breakage, but now it's ridiculous. everything is segregated into like 10 different things (Ep1 engine, orange box engine, and each one has settings for each game) which all have to be handled differently, and require subtle differences to get content into, which is a fucking nightmare.  

Then on top of all that, after the updates broke everything but the most recent version of the engine (which is useless to you unless you want to mod Ep 2 or Portal) so you have to cut paste DLL,s and EXE files all over the damned place. Then do it all again if steam updates. And on top of that 3DS Max 2009 has almost zero support, making it an absolute slog to get the simplest of models into HL2.  

Unreal engine though, boom, 3DS Max, Export as --> .ACE. Open unrealED, import. Done. Same with textures, import, done. no fucking about with steam (unless you were dumb enough to get UE3 through steam) and messing around with about 3 different engines, all of which are broken in a different area. 

Not to mention Hammer hasn't been updated since 2005, and it was a temperamental, difficult to work with piece of kit even then. That's the problem when you take iterative design to such an extreme Valve does. Don't get me wrong I love them for it, it makes their games so much better. Unfortunately, when combined with FORCED updating through steam, it makes their engines unusable. The minute someone makes a usefull tool to ease the strain of valves in house tools being friendly only to DOS fiends who live in the command prompt, an update will break it and make it useless.  

Outside of steam though, and with proper in house development tools, i'd imagine it would be a dream to work with for those who license it from Valve. But for modders it's become a bit of a pig to work with. It really surprises me people stil mod it so heavily, but hey, you can't deny what good the original did for the modding scene so I guess people are still attached to it. I'd love to be able to do mroe with it, but unfortunately every 5 minutes of progress is surrounded by about 3 hours of problem solving and dumbass errors that are not my fault. 

Edit: Not to mention the file structure. Since when did it become a crime to make C:/ your base folder? Working with c:/program files/steam/USER_NAME/steamapps/ as your base folder gets beyond tedius.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#56  Edited By mracoon

Source Engine.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By jakob187
@fuzzyponken said:
" @Claude: I don't know, I don't know anything about engines either. I'm assuming id tech 5 will look the best for a long time since id's engines always do.  "
Who cares about it looking the best?  Right now, id Tech 5 is primed to be the best engine available for development.  For starters, it's built from the ground-up with multiplatform outsourcing of code in mind.  Rather than having to program for three separate platforms, the engine allows you to program THE GAME and then...in theory...it works for all three platforms.  Whether this truly works to that range is something that is yet to be tested, especially with word around the campfire being that Rage had to be cut down for the Xbox 360 due to compression issues with the DVD format they are currently stuck on.  Then again, id Software is building their game to showcase 60fps with a lower graphical setting to their game (which still looks fucking amazing), which they say means less over disc space taken up...but nonetheless, it ain't fitting for them.  The amount of versatility that Carmack has talked about with this engine, however, drives Unreal Engine 3 into the fucking ground!!! 

And given that Unreal Engine 3 has tons of horror stories behind it (the lack of customer and tech support help for Midway and Silicon Knights in order to showcase Epic's own Gears of War IP, the constant delays of Final Fantasy XIII due to the issues of developing with it on the PS3, the late port of Bioshock coupled with the issues of downscaled graphics and additional filters for smoothing), it means that id Tech 5 has a MASSIVE chance to take over as the main licensed engine for game developers. 

Basically, if all the things that are being promised by id Software are true about Tech 5, it would mean that game companies might be able to cut down their overall production costs and quit having to go bankrupt!!! 

Yeah, I know jack nor shit about engines.  -_-  Don't give people so little credit.
Statikwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Statikwolf

Havok Engine

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers