• 70 results
#1 Posted by OhYeah (13 posts) -

Mine are:

Awesomenauts, Bioshock series, Burnout paradise, Call of duty modern warfare 2, Dragon's age origins, Dragon's dogma, The elder scrolls 4 oblivion, The elder scrolls 5 skyrim, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Fallout new vegas, Forza 4, Grand theft auto 4, Heavy rain, L.A. noire, Mass effect series, Metal gear solid 4 guns of the patriots, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Need for speed hot pursuit, Need for speed most wanted 2012, Red dead redemption, Rock band 3, Saints row the 3rd, Yakuza series.

#2 Posted by mosespippy (4467 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles, Red Dead Redemption, Lumines and Dark Souls stand out to me as the ones that I'll still play long after the generation is over.

#3 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Probably Dragon Age Origins, Left 4 Dead 1/2, TF2, Sins of a Solar Empire and XCom.

#4 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4702 posts) -

A couple game that pop into mind are

• Bayonetta
  • Batman Arkham Asylum
  • Bioshock
  • Dark Souls
  • Super Mario Galaxy
#5 Edited by PenguinDust (12640 posts) -

Hmm, Dragon Age Origins, Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Borderlands 2, Halo Reach, Valkyria Chronicles, Persona 3 & 4 (played both on my PS3 fatty) and Dragon Quest IX.

I like RPGs.

#6 Edited by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Off the top of my head?

Spec Ops: The Line
Prince of Persia 2008
Assassin's Creed I and II
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
God of War III
Infamous I and II
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Red Dead Redemption
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Super Mario Galaxy
Heavy Rain
Batman: Arkham Asylum

There are others, but those are basically the cream of the crop. And if it continues being great, and Patrick is to be believed, 999.

#7 Edited by Redbullet685 (6090 posts) -
  • Bioshock
  • Uncharted 2
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum
  • Rock Band series
  • Bastion

And I forgot this somehow

• The Walking Dead

That's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Looks like you double posted, so I'll just copy my reply from the other one:

Why were those your favorite games? Specifically, why Modern Warfare 2 over any of the other MW games?

I feel like Fallout 3 was a bit of a letdown compared to New Vegas and that the first Mass Effect game wasn't actually very good. I respect what LA Noire tried to do but most of that game felt really one-dimensional.

I'm a little disappointed that Red Dead Redemption didn't have as much of the same craziness that Red Dead Revolver had, but I don't think there's a game this generation that's really shaken up the open world genre like Redemption has.

If you haven't played Darksiders (the first one) yet, check that out for one of the best character-action games. It really nailed a lot of what makes the 3D Zelda games fun to play while adding enough of it's own stuff that it doesn't feel like a straight ripoff.

#9 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

It is with great pride that I am able to utilize my 2000th comment on Giant Bomb to say that Oblivion is my favorite game of ALL time, not just this generation. Other this-gen highlights for me include Fallout: New Vegas, Arkham Asylum and Red Dead Redemption.

#10 Posted by Atlas (2457 posts) -

I can give you mine in order:

1) Oblivion

2) Skyrim

3) Dragon Age: Origins

4) BioShock

5) Fallout 3

#11 Posted by ThePickle (4169 posts) -
  1. Fallout 3
  2. Portal 2
  3. Civ 5
  4. Red Dead Redemption
#12 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Braid

Mass Effect 2

The Walking Dead

Bioshock

#13 Edited by ManU_Fan10ne (659 posts) -

In no particular order:

• Super Mario Galaxy
  • Skyrim
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Portal 2
  • Infamous 1 and 2
  • some other stuff that I can't remember
  • and hopefully, Ni No Kuni
#14 Edited by believer258 (12210 posts) -
  • Skyrim
  • Oblivion
  • Bioshock
  • Halo 3
  • Portal 2
  • CoD 4 (Yep!)

These next few are games that have a good chance of becoming some of my favorites, but I'm not sure yet because I either have not beaten them or I don't think I've owned them long enough to know for certain.

• Dragon Age Origins
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • Sleeping Dogs

There are probably more games that I could point out but something like a list of my favorite games this generation should probably be given more thought than a short forum post. I just know that the above would definitely fit on that list. Not to mention that there are some games, like Mass Effect 2, that I really, really like but I have some issues with.

#15 Posted by RPGee (763 posts) -
  • Portal (1 & 2)
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Bioshock
  • VVVVVV
  • TESV: Skyrim/Fallout 3
  • Braid
  • Saints Row The Third

It's kind of weird, since around this generation, especially later, is when I've been going back to a lot of stuff from last gen, like KOTORII and Persona 4. Plus I've dabbled in a bajillion indie games. There are probably more I could add to that list, but man is it hard to pick "favourites" from such a huge amount of great games. They're all great!

Hey guys, video games can be pretty good.

#16 Posted by Animasta (14728 posts) -

Nier, because it is the best game ever made and no other game will ever hold a candle to it

(well alright Crusader Kings 2 is pretty good too)

#17 Posted by CaptainThunderpants (79 posts) -

Roller Coaster Rampage presented by BigJeffery

#18 Posted by Cubidog1 (248 posts) -

Minecraft is probably my favorite. Others highlights include Uncharted 3, The Binding of Isaac, Portal 2, Halo 3, Red Dead Redemption, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Castle Crashers, Left 4 Dead 2, Borderlands 2, Modern Warfare 2 and Bastion. Games I haven't played or haven't finished yet that could end up being amazing include Halo 4, Xenoblade Chronicles, Far Cry 3 and a million others and I can't remember off the top of my head.

#19 Posted by ConfusedOwl (972 posts) -

Probably going to forget some but I'll give this a shot. None of them are in order.

• The Witcher 1 and 2
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Dragon Age: Origins
  • Gears of War (The whole series)
  • Mass Effect 1 (Yes the first one)
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Saints Row 2
  • Skyrim
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Bastion
  • Risen 1 (Shame the second is horrible)
  • Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Those are most of my favourites this gen so far. Like I said I'm probably missing a few but I think the list is big enough.

#20 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

MW3, Black Ops II, Halo Reach, Halo 4, Madden 13, FIFA 13, MLB 2k12, Forza 4, FTL.

#21 Posted by planetfunksquad (536 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins, Braid, Fez.

#22 Posted by handlas (2762 posts) -

of the whole generation!?!?

I always look back at Red Dead. That game always stands out above the rest in my mind. Maybe I think of it too highly.

#23 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

I've got no idea of an order, other than the first being on top. Probably forgetting some, but a quick scan of Steam brought these up.

• Dark Souls
  • Sleepy DAWGZ
  • The Witcher 2
  • Crusader Kings 2 (tenatively)
  • Bastion
  • Mass Effect 1-3
  • Metro 2033
#24 Posted by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -
#25 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

If I had to choose one, it would probably be Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors.

That game was one massive mindfuck. I'm not even sure I understand what happened in the end, but I loved how the game kept me on my toes the entire time.

Thankfully, its sequel appears to deliver on that front just as well, though I can't say for sure until I finish it.

#26 Posted by Zacagawea (1616 posts) -

Bioshock, Modern Warfare 2, Dead Space, annnnnnnddddd Fallout 3/NV. I basically treat those as the same game. Could probably swap those with Oblivion on any other day.

#27 Posted by ozzier (22 posts) -

My very favorite games this gen are:

• Journey
  • Fez
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Mario Galaxy
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Batman Arkham Asylum
  • Uncharted 1 and 2
  • Pacman Championship Edition DX
#28 Posted by Phatmac (5730 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

#29 Edited by Roger778 (960 posts) -

1. The Mass Effect series

2. Dragon Age 1 and 2 (though I think I love Dragon Age 2 the most of the two games.)

3. The Darkness

4. Batman: Arkham Asylum

5. Fallout 3

6. Dance Central 1 (Haven't bought Dance Central 2 or 3 yet)

7. Assassins Creed 2

8. Assassins Creed Brotherhood

Most innovative game: L.A. Noire: At it's heart it's an adventure game, with some fistfights and gunfights mixed in. In the game, You are a Detective, and you have to be very methodical in your job as you search crime scenes, and interview suspects, or witnesses. It's just unlike any adventure game I've ever played.

An important note: These are the games I own at home. I don't know if they're the greatest games of the generation, but they're my favorite ones.

#30 Posted by bananaz (259 posts) -

Super Meat Boy, Alan Wake, Bioshock, Portal, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead, Skyrim, Mass Effect. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. If I have to be super specific, my best of gen are Alan Wake and Left 4 Dead. They're not the "best" games, but the ones that will stick with me the longest.

#31 Posted by MocBucket62 (1260 posts) -
  • Uncharted 3
  • Batman Arkham Asylum and City
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Heavy Rain
#32 Posted by bluefish (557 posts) -

Top 5: Bioshock, Mass Effect 2, Orange Box/Half Life 2 + Eps., X-Com, Journey

I'll have to revisit X-Com and Journey because they're so new and I'll have to revisit Half-Life2 again because it's been a couple of years but this is where it stands right now.

Braid, Limbo, Alan Wake, Bayonetta, Far Cry 2, Rez HD are all rearing to get into that top five!

Aren't games amazing?

#33 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

Super Meat Boy.

#34 Edited by MightyDuck (1524 posts) -
  • The Walking Dead
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • MAG
  • Dirt 3
  • Batman Arkham Asylum
  • Portal 2
  • Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • Rock Band series
  • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
  • NHL 13
  • Oblivion
#35 Edited by xMEGADETHxSLY (445 posts) -
  • Alan Wake
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  • Halo 3
  • Halo 3 ODST
  • Gears Of War 2
  • Call Of Duty MW2
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Fallout 3
  • Forza Horizon
  • Left 4 Dead 2
#36 Posted by JEC03 (919 posts) -

GTA4

Mirrors Edge

Dead Space series

Mass Effect 2 and 3.

Max Payne 3

Alan Wake

L.A. Noire

Saints row the third

FarCRY3

Sleeping Dogs

Crysis

F.E.A.R.

#37 Posted by Stonyman65 (2874 posts) -
  • Uncharted 2
  • Dues Ex Human Revolution
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Call Of Duty 4
  • Saints Row The Third
  • Just Cause 2
  • Heavy Rain
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Fallout 3
  • GTA 4
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • The Walking Dead
  • Civilization 5
  • Uncharted 3
#38 Posted by TheHT (11820 posts) -

Definite:

• Mass Effect 1
  • Assassin's Creed 1
  • Oblivion
  • Left 4 Dead 1
  • Uncharted 2
  • Demon's Souls
  • Alan Wake
  • The Walking Dead
  • Portal 1

Almost there:

• Max Payne 3
#39 Posted by Irvandus (2899 posts) -
  • Halo 3
  • Mass Effect
  • Portal 1 and 2
  • Fallout 3
  • Skyrim
  • Call Of Duty 4
#40 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -
#41 Posted by mrfluke (5351 posts) -

mass effect 2, uncharted 2, metal gear solid 4, assassins creed the ezio trilogy, mortal kombat 9, bastion, walking dead season 1, asuras wrath, xcom enemy unknown, GTA 4, dyad, street fighter 4, dead or alive 5, halo 3, halo reach, red dead redemption, dark souls, persona 4 (it came out during this console gen :P) batman Arkham City, Tropico 4, The Darkness, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Skyrim, Super Meat Boy, Dragon Age origins, Way of the Samurai 3, Deadly premonition, Bayonetta, Unreal tournament 3, Lost Odyssey, Castlevania Sotn, (first encounter with that game was the xbox live arcade release)

i love videogames

#42 Posted by Mechanical_Ape (264 posts) -

These are the ones that immediately came to mind, but since I can't even remember what I ate for lunch today, I can guarantee that I am forgetting some.

Dragon Age series

Alpha Protocol

Borderlands

God Eater

Street Fighter 4

Fable 2 and 3

Yakuza 3 and 4

#43 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

No order

Uncharted 2

BioShock

Mass Effect

CoD4

Nier

Deadly Premontion

Fallout 3

MGS4

BFBC (SP)

Skyrim

Saints Row 3

#44 Posted by InsidiousTuna (426 posts) -

The Walking Dead, Red Dead Redemption, Assassins' Creed Brotherhood, Mass Effect 1, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Starcraft 2, Bastion, Super Mario Galaxy, Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, GTA4, Geometry Wars Retro Evolved. Those are gonna stay pretty strongly in my favorite games of all time. I'm sure there are others.

#45 Posted by Zrais (148 posts) -

Super Meat Boy

Braid

Halo 3

Bastion

#46 Posted by LackingSaint (1856 posts) -

If I had to do a top ten I guess;

1. STALKER: Call of Pripyat
  2. The Walking Dead
  3. Bioshock 2
  4. Portal 2
  5. Team Fortress 2
  6. Fallout: New Vegas
  7. Mass Effect 2
  8. HL2: Episode 2
  9. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
  10. XCom: Enemy Unknown (may be higher, need time to think about it)

I guess I love second games! Honourable mentions to Bastion, FTL, Borderlands, Alpha Protocol, Heavy Rain, LA Noire and probably a bunch of other stuff. Amazing generation for games.

#47 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

#48 Posted by gamefreak9 (2419 posts) -

In this order, SC2, Dark Souls, Skyrim.

#49 Edited by Hunter5024 (5980 posts) -

Uncharted 2, Bastion, Red Dead Redemption, Infamous, Dragon Age Origins, Heavy Rain, Assassins Creed 2, Prince of Persia (08), Heavenly Sword, Fable 2, and Skyward Sword are the first games that pop into my head. Examining the data I find the common theme quite curious. I wonder why most of them are exclusives, there shouldn't really be anything about an exclusive that makes it inherently better, I probably played way more third party games than first party ones over this generation, and yet only 4 out of these 11 games were multiplatform. Weird.

Edit: 2000 posts. People are allowed to respect me now right?

#50 Edited by Anund (940 posts) -

Spontaneously I'd say...

• Uncharted series
  • Mass Effect series (Though 1 was best, then it went downhill)
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Dark Souls
  • Max Payne 3
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • Skyrim