What's your worst ever video game-related purchase?

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wii fit

RIVERSIDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

SOCOM: U.S. Navy Seals Confrontation

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Ground Zeroes on PS3 by accident, and then I bought it on PS4. I enjoyed the game well enough, but that was waaaay too much investment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a PSP, on release day. On the bright side it opened up with some neat stuff later on.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In 1994/1995 I sold all of my NES, Genesis, and Super Nintendo stuff at crazy prices, to fund the purchase of the Sega Saturn.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

#306  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

No Caption Provided

What the hell was I thinking?

EDIT: Didn't even see the guy above me. Crazy coincidence!

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dominemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: Basically anything in 2014 except Divinity Original Sin (The only good game of this year imo.)

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Karthas said:

Tabula Rasa. I think they shut down that game two months after I got a copy.

I got a promo coin or "token" from Tabula Rasa at a PAX long ago. I only played for like 20 minutes, but it's a dope-ass coin.

Buble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Virtual Boy

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311  Edited By Guesty_01

Guardians of Middle Earth.

Never touching another Monolith product again.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny... BOOM!

Nah, it would probably be either Hour of Victory or Two Worlds.

EDIT: I apparently said the exact same thing (well except the Destiny joke) two months ago... I need to look more carefully on old topics before posting.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The PS Move and accessories. So, 2 Motion Controllers, 1 Navigation Controller, and the Eye camera...

Avatar image for deactivated-598d846d3a52a
deactivated-598d846d3a52a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking around and most of the "worst purchases" aren't even THAT bad.

@cmblasko said:

Brink.

Now THIS is what pops into mind. The only game I've seen sink faster than the Titanic and ended up £5 within a few weeks. If not SOONER.

Chrisiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metroid: Other M

Fuck fuck fuck that game.

The Baby. The Baby. Thumbs down.

Avatar image for physicalscience
physicalscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buying GTA IV full price the day it came out. I still have never beat it and when I bought it I knew I wasn't super into those types of games but somehow I convinced myself that "This was the one".

The worst part is that I sold that copy and then years later bought the game of the year addition again thinking I would finally beat it....Still have yet to get around to that....

peakborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a mistake akin to Jeff's a lifetime subscription to the same company's superhero MMO.

Thanks to exchange rates it was softened by roughly 20% but I played it for less than a month past launch. What the fuck was I thinking.

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#318  Edited By Tirion

Some of the answers in this thread make me feel really bad about the things I've spent money on. Playing games on your Iphone drunk while still remembering your password for purchases only leads to bad things like spending $99 for stupid green gems in Clash of Clans.

limination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have bought Dishonored about four or five times since it released. I get further and further and I can never get sucked into it. But it recently went free with Games With Gold so I've been playing it that way. So no more buying it.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321  Edited By agentboolen

@amyggen:

PSmove (bought it for House of the Dead games and the aim wont stay calibrated because the PSmove is a piece of shit!!!)

Lots of Onrails shooter games and the aim was always broken. I truly believe the Wii's remote was more accurate.
Lots of Onrails shooter games and the aim was always broken. I truly believe the Wii's remote was more accurate.

PowerGlove - You had to be there, they had this commercial that made it look really cool and.... yea you guessed it it wasn't.
PowerGlove - You had to be there, they had this commercial that made it look really cool and.... yea you guessed it it wasn't.

Brutal Legend (it was only $20 and I found out why) -           Jack Black totally said this game was going to be the best game ever at a E3 and it totally wasn't.
Brutal Legend (it was only $20 and I found out why) - Jack Black totally said this game was going to be the best game ever at a E3 and it totally wasn't.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Sonic Unleashed. I rode my bike all the way back to the Gamestop across town to return it just two hours after getting it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft and any game I payed full price for.

Brink comes to mind...

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have bought Dishonored about four or five times since it released. I get further and further and I can never get sucked into it. But it recently went free with Games With Gold so I've been playing it that way. So no more buying it.

I'm like this with Dragon Age Origins. I rented it and bought it for 360, then bought it again on Steam. I've played through all the origins and have gotten all the way up to when it starts to open up like 10 times, never could make it stick.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

the last story.

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Bureau, its a bad game.

ScotchMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toy Story for the GB. Just aw fuck.Lair for the ps3 is a close second, it was 3 bucks but I'm still pissed.

therealnelsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By therealnelsk

In recent memory? COD: Ghosts. Paid full price. I wake up in a cold sweat because of that fucking purchase. Never again.

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By jhajha

Grid 2 and My Age of Empires Online

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'll cop some flack for this, but it's my Wii U.

I've had it for since launch and I never play it. I've actually had games of Civ5 that have taken longer to complete then I've played on the Wii U in its lifespan.

We got off to a bad start when I realised that because I'd logged in on my brothers Wii U to play some Nintendoland, that I was now no longer able to associate my own network ID with my own console. Thereby ensuring that I will never purchase anything from the estore as I'll never be able to download it to another console. And yes, I have asked Nintendo, and no, they did not offer any help.

I bought it on potential. That they'd use the 2nd screen to make a giant DS. Instead that thing has been superfluous and just lays around the house cluttering up the place. It's now started mocking me as it will occasionally turn on in the middle of the evening and show a big advert for a sale on the estore (at prices 50% higher than you can get from any online retailer).

I was lured in by the thought of a new Zelda.... still waiting on that one. Mario Kart, etc. All of whose itch was scratched shortly after when I bought an 3DS which actually had the games that I wanted to play released and available. Instead I've watched as games which make perfect sense on the Wii U come out on the 3DS (Luigi's mansion) whilst Gameboy Advance catalogue titles, or puzzlers like Dr Mario which make absolute sense on the 3DS come out on the Wii U..... arrrgghh!

I've not really been interested in the 1st party games that did some out as I appear to be the one person in the world that doesn't like platformers (notable exceptions: Rayman Origins and Legends) and those third party games that do come out are port of titles released months later, and more expensively than they did for the other consoles. Couple that with a release schedule that 'trickle' overstates, features that are still missing from launch (Nintendo TVii outside the US anyone?) and the general sluggishness of the UI and it all adds up to a system that makes me wonder what the hell I was thinking.

This is a system I bought to play literally zero released games. Even I could semi-justify my purchase if there was a single title that really hooked me, but there hasn't been.

Admittedly things are looking up. I'll be buying Smash, and I like the look of a few of the upcoming 1st party titles, but that just means that it'll have taken two whole years to release something that I actually want to play and the truth is I don't even like fighting games that much either!

manicraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within - I didn't hear good things about it so I just had to "go against the naysayers". Turns out they were right.

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy - The reverse of what I said about Warrior Within. I actually heard good things about this game and rented it. I can't say that it's "bad" because I didn't really play it much. It's just not my type of game.

WoW - Tried the free trial and just didn't like it. I just can't get into those types of games.

virtualpolecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox 360.

I even bought a Slim late in to the life-cycle around Christmas 2011.

Worst purchase ever, built a PC 2 years later and haven't looked back.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333  Edited By stryker1121

@hakunin said:
No Caption Provided

The terrible punning in the sub-title should have tipped you off ;)

On topic, I've probably said it before on this very thread, but first-day purchase of Too Human was a poor decision on my part. It's not even a bad game, really, just stunningly mediocre and boring. Had been looking forward to it for months before buying. Especially painful as it came from Silicon Knights, which made one of my all time faves in Eternal Darkness.

Lately I've bought a couple of games on Steam that I may never play, including Painkiller and State of Decay. Those damn Steam sales are a siren song I cannot resist.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I bought my PS3, I chose Lair over Call of Duty 4.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

My mates were buying PS1s but I thought I'd never use one so I replaced my old Mega Drive with this in a sale:

No Caption Provided

A few weeks later I bought a PS1.

deckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's a tie between Phalanx for the SNES or Cruisin' World for the N64. No, on second thought it's not a tie - Cruisin' World is HOT GARBAGE.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows. AND I EVEN PRE ORDERED THAT PIECE OF GARBAGE. Ugh. In my "defence" I was young (16-17) also Dark Legacy was so good. So disapointed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enter the Matrix. Nothing about the way that game felt or looked was satisfying.

jrodrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for Gamecube. I returned it to the store a day later. It just wasn't what I was looking for at the time.