What's your worst ever video game-related purchase?

arustysumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I(my mom) bought a gamecube specifically for Digimon World 4.
I went on to get Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix and Amazing Island for that console. I NEVER OWNED A GOOD GAME FOR THE GAMECUBE.

Other than that a lot of stuff everyone else is saying. Duke Nukem Forever, Dead Island, Assassin's Creed 3.
I almost bought APB when that first came out because a bunch of my friends all did it but my computer couldn't even go past the client for the beta so I really dodged a bullet with that.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The one and only game that I'm pissed I ever gave my money to was APB.

deadshot_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bluefish: I don't like the kind of humor that Saints Row 3 offered, it's my opinion, and I got super bored after playing for a while.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Saints Row 2 and Grid 2

ageofquarrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason when I was a kid I bought Rambo for nes instead of SMB3.

Grimace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#206  Edited By Grimace

I spent $120 AUD on the South Park first-person shooter for the N64.

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Burn: Cycle" never played a FMV game before this. Won't play one ever again. Well, maybe for a good laugh.

Pushtoclose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ride to Hell Retribution, I like playing bad games, and wanted to see how bad this game really was. Holy crap, hands down this is the worse game ever. Felt like I was dying on the inside playing this.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern Warfare 2. Eeeeuuughh. God of War 3 is a close second.

MrWakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By MrWakka

Superman 64, i was really looking forward to that game based on the previews in EGM. Ah, the years when preview coverage was always positive spin on terrible games. (If only those years were over...) I remember them specifically talking about how the developers thought it was lame that in past superhero games you could only fly or use laser vision when you gained a power up, and how in Superman 64 they were avoiding such limitations. I seem to recall putting it in when I got home only to wonder why I couldn't, y'know, use any of those powers. Maybe they unlocked in the later missions, the flying controls were so terrible I never got past the first flying mission, which might have been t very first one in the game.

loremiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I payed for a server transfer for a WoW character once... to the wrong server... ouch :|

Close second would be (Technically) when I rented out a TMNT game for the Gamecube, and then returned it within two hours (I even tried out the demo, man I made dumb choices as a youngin')

xXHesekielXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

far cry 2! played like 15 min...

shadytea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By shadytea

Just like another person who posted earlier, I bought Dungeon Lords at full price and what a mistake that was.

(I think this was in 2000) I bought a 2 for 1 gaming bundle at Target which included Deus Ex and some other shovel ware game for like 10 bucks. At the time i thought to myself, hey Deus Ex is worth more than 10 bucks alone, but sadly I soon realized that the version in the bundle was a like shareware or something because it only had like 3 missions and asked you to buy the full game after you got done with level 3.

After googling this for a bit, it turns out I bought the $9.99 "Special Limited Edition" version of Deus Ex. Which is just a repackaged extended demo.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#214 fisk0  Moderator

I bought Super Monaco GP for the Mega Drive last year. Didn't get around to trying it out until today, and realized the cart didn't actually work. While I didn't spend a lot on it, I wish I had tested it the moment I got home so I could've gotten it replaced with a working cart, by now the warranty is up. :/

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mrwakka: There's actually a beta copy floating around the internet that plays better, has no rings and has all your abilities unlocked from the beginning. A common theory is that they shipped the wrong version.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In recent memory, Enemy Front.

It was naive of me to think the WW2 shooter was back.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#217  Edited By Maedhros925

@dasacant2 said:

Star Ocean: The Last Hope, it is the only game I have ever traded in.

Holy shit, you beat me to it. I ordered this one after exhausting Xenoblade Chronicles. I still had that JRPG itch, and at least had fond memories of the Star Ocean game for PS2. But man, the animations and spoken dialogue in this game are something else. The battle mechanics weren't responsive enough to be much fun either. I only got as far as the first town. Once the little girl joined my party I lost all desire to play the game. I picked up Tales of Xillia instead and never looked back.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Atelier Rorona for the PS3. I thought the series looked interesting so started with the cheap first one for the PS3, but unfortunately it wasn't that great by that point. Now with there being an updated version out I feel like an idiot.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I've payed full price for Soldier of Fortune: Payback, Aliens: Colonial Marines, and Resident Evil 6, as well as Operation: Raccoon City (though I undoubtedly had more fun with ORC). Brink was also colossally disappointing. I was so hyped for that and it turned out to be a pile of shit.

I should mention that I payed $100 for the Duke Nukem Forever Collector's Edition and I don't regret a goddamned thing.

ELpork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

In recent memory? Watch dogs.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered the collector's edition of Final Fantasy XIII.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a PS3 in '08 and I chose Lair instead of Call of Duty 4.

:/

Blueshrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked up Two Worlds, play for 5min and then traded it. I guess I needed to play longer before making the call on it.

Also brought a Wii U game, because it was cheap. The joke is that I don't own a Wii u, I thought it might push me in picking one up.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Gonna have to say SimCity for this one. I try not to waste money on games that aren't great, but this game really soured me. It will remain my worst purchase if the community isn't able to mod that game into something else.

Paying the price of a full game for a premium tank in World of Tanks. Stupid sexy IS-6...

I'm going to assume you hated that tank. Nobody pays $50 on a tank and is happy with that if they think the tank is garbage.

donovan1209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By donovan1209

I'm that one guy who bought an OUYA. I don't feel an explanation is necessary.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#226  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

Spirit Tracks. Fucking abomination of a Zelda game

Rothbart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Rothbart

It didn't cost me much (Steam and all) but I'd have to say it was The Path. After half an hour walking aimlessly through the woods, with no sort of direction whatsoever, my suspension of disbelief was wearing really thin. I'm still not sure if that game has any sort of story, or if it's just a walking simulator.

Oh yeah, there was also Drakengard for the PS2. It's kind of fuzzy at this point, but all I remember was being utterly underwhelmed. God of War 3 was also really terrible... you'd think that by the third game in the series, Kratos would have had some character development. It's one of the few games I had to stop playing because it actually made me feel bad for the world I was killing, just not fun.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day 1 Advent Rising.

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

The funny part is.... I don't remember. I know I've made a few but I can't call any out. Maybe I made it out ok.

cyberfunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By cyberfunk
No Caption Provided

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only really bought the odd stinker of a game, I'm usually very cautious in my purchasing behaviour. Off the top of my head, the only crap games I've bought at full price were Pariah (looking so promising in previews, but really didn't live up to the promise), Perfect Dark Zero and Driver 3 (holy cow that game was hot garbage), but I'm sure there's another couple of clunkers in my history. I also didn't get along with Bayonetta. I wish I liked that game more, but something about the combat and enemies never really clicked with me.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By AMyggen

How anyone backed the sequel for that game is beyond me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Crysis 2 for the Xbox360.

What a boring game.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#234  Edited By Castiel

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack. So I bought the bundle for PS3 quite recently on PSN but unfortunately it only included the demo and no unlock key for the full game. So I double checked just to make sure that it wasn't actually just the demo, I even deleted the whole thing and installed it again to be absolutely sure, but it didn't help. So I wrote to Playstation's customer support in Denmark and they wrote back, but their reply basically boiled down to: "hey uhh there's nothing we can do bout it why don't you write drinkbox studious and hey... also go fuck yourself! Have a nice day." So I wrote to drinkbox studios customer support and they said that they were aware of the problem and working on fixing it.

Now it looks like they have actually fixed the issue but the only problem is I can't download the fixed bundle without paying for it a second time. That's the worst game related purchase I have ever made cause I actually didn't get the game. And it even didn't happen that long ago. I am of course going to write a letter of complaint to both Playstation's customer support, who seems to not care anyway, and to drinkbox studios. Depending on how this pans out this might be the last time I buy a game fron drinkbox studios. I have never been treated this poorly as a paying customer before.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#235  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Lost: Via Domus.

More recently, UFC 2014.

The latter was more my bad. I'm not into UFC as much as I thought I was.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#236  Edited By Humanity

Ironically one of my worst gaming purchases turned out to be the best decision I ever made.

The first 360 game I bought for my new system was that third person shooter where you could control the terrain - lower it, raise it.. the name escapes me now. So that game was pretty shoddy and a guy I knew at GameStop offered to take it back for me and gave me Dead Space instead - which was amazing.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SPORE was a pretty harsh hit against it's expectations.

And then I found out i couldn't even give it away to my sister because of some shitty DRM. Fortunately they loosened that restriction slightly and she got some fun out of it so i guess it wasn't a complete waste. The new sim city was pretty awful to. RIP maxis.

Anyone else care to vote for the PlayStation Move? Useless piece o' crap.

I got some small use out of it, okami alone almost makes it worthwhile. I actually played a bunch of killzone 3 with it and it was pretty ok - preferable to the shitty dual shock sticks even. Hey at least they didn't bundle their POS camera so you HAD to pay for it!

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: That'd probably be fracture, which I'm pretty sire was one of the last non star wars Lucas arts games.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Dragon's Lair for the NES. Everyone should play that game at least once in their life, because that is one truly awful game.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The PS Move...

Made worst because the slim PS3 doesn't even have the ports to plug it in, so I guess Sony gave up on it before I did...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#241  Edited By Humanity

@wampa1 said:

@humanity: That'd probably be fracture, which I'm pretty sire was one of the last non star wars Lucas arts games.

Yes it was Fracture

A really cool idea but the gameplay based around it was really lacking. The game felt like a tech demo that didn't really develop into a proper title. One of those games where you know it will never get a sequel but it could really use one to iron out some of the interesting features.

WiredFolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Let's see... Only two moments really come to mind as honest regret.

First: The Kinect for the 360. I got wrapped up in the hype and bought it shortly after it came out. The only game I thought was actually worth while for it was Dance Central. Everything else was hot garbage. I got maybe a few days worth of using it then just stopped. Then later we got new furniture for the living room and went from small armchairs to bulky, larger ones. Which meant moving stuff out of the way just to get enough room for the Kinect was impossible unless I dragged everything out to the front yard.

Second: The Assassin's Creed 3 Limited Edition. My favor towards the franchise was waning after slogging through Revelations. I honestly thought 3 would be a turning point for the games. So strong was my hope I went ahead and got the expensive LE box set. I never even finished the game it was so boring. Now I have the Conner figure staring at me on my shelf as a reminder of my foolishness.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skylanders and Skylanders Giants with all those figures.

Lord have mercy on my soul.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supercar Street Challenge. I thought the idea of designing your own supercar would be the coolest thing ever, and it turned out to be simply skewing a bunch of prerendered body panels. As a bonus, the game was borderline unplayable. What a complete letdown.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm that one guy who bought an OUYA. I don't feel an explanation is necessary.

I backed it on kickstarter, so I know how you feel.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, technically wasn't me buying it, but when I was a kid once on vacation we were at this mom-and-pop toy store and they had these games that were basically just floppies in a plastic-bag with a sticker on them. So I nagged my parents into buying one of them for me. The game wasn't bad (was some sort of viking adventure thing), but the floppy also had a virus on it messing up my computer.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Record of Argarest War a couple of years ago. The game was filled with long loading times, shitty battles, and shitty fanservice.

Fuck Idea Factory. Worst birthday gift eveeeeeeeer!

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercenaries 2 for $60. Jesus Christ.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Back before I got a Sega Genesis, I wanted nothing more than Street Fighter II. It was my favourite game of all time and whenever I had a spare quarter I'd walk down the street to this sketchy Chinese restaurant where they had a cabinet. Great times. I begged and pleaded with my mom for Street Fighter II, and one day she surprised me with this:

This was some real Monkey Paw shit right here.
This was some real Monkey Paw shit right here.

I thanked her for the game not understanding how fucking terrible this shit was. No, seriously, people complaining about Aliens: Colonial Marines or Dark Sector or whatever game you hate have no idea what a terrible game is until you've played one of these pieces of shit.

Greenshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some F1 for the N64.