When did preordering games get shoved down our throats ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

I don't remember ever hearing about the concept of preordering until I got my PS2 way back in 2003.  I went to Gamestop and bought a PS2, Devil May Cry, GTA: Vice City (I have yet to play GTA 3 but I can't imagine how bad it has aged), and Metal Gear Solid 2. The clerk asked me if I wanted to preorder Devil May Cry 2. I told him at the time I wasn't even sure if I was going to like the first one since I was only buying it based on the fact that I had seen a friend play it and he seemed to have a blast. He countered me with the gem that the first game is awesome so the sequel has to be even better because unlike movies, video game sequels are always bigger and better. I told him if I liked Devil May Cry I would be back and preorder.  So I dodged the DMC 2 bullet even though he was right that DMC 1 was indeed awesome. 
 I took a bit of a videogame hiatus from 1999 to early 2003 based on being poor, so when did Gamestop start with this
 preorder nonsense ? I have yet to preorder a game because I like to read reviews first or buy games on impulse and it seems like the practice has seeped into regular stores like Target and BestBuy.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By penguindust

The most ludicrous thing I can remember is being told I can't buy a game from Gamestop on the day it was released because I didn't pre-order.  Do they still do that?  I don't pre-order from Gamestop anymore, but I do from Amazon provided they offer a $10-$20 credit voucher for future game purchases.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Cerza
@PenguinDust said:
" The most ludicrous thing I can remember is being told I can't buy a game from Gamestop on the day it was released because I didn't pre-order.  Do they still do that?  I don't pre-order from Gamestop anymore, but I do from Amazon provided they offer a $10-$20 credit voucher for future game purchases. "
Yes they do, but rather than tell you you can't buy it, they will tell you they don't have it even if they have a stack of them right there. If you ask about the stack of games you want to buy that are right there they will tell you that those are reserved for people who pre-ordered. 

As far as pre-ordering goes, the first time I remember running into it was at EB Games in the mid 90's back when EB was still EB and not GameStop with a different logo.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CptBedlam

I don't know. I think it has become really bad in the recent 2 or 3 years when ingame-material became part of preorder bonuses. I fully reject this concept and I don't do preorders as a matter of principle.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Not sure about the US, but it's always been easier in the UK..  Online retailers tend to be far cheaper than actual stores, plus most of them will ship the game out early, resulting in you getting it a day or two before release.  It's been like that since I remember.

But more recently we've definitely seen an increase of games having collectors editions and/or pre-order bonuses.  Simply because it encourages you to buy the game when it's brand new, rather than waiting for a price drop.  And I have to say it's rather effective.. I had no intention of buying Bayonetta until it dropped to £20-ish.  But getting a free replica of one of her guns definitely pushed me to pre-order and pay the full £40 it.  So it's not really surprising we've seen this type of thing more and more.

Though I will say getting bonuses like that is fine..  cutting out game content and giving it out as pre-order bonuses feels far more underhanded.
I want rewards for buying early, not to be punished for wanting to wait.

AnnouncerGXZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AnnouncerGXZ

dont understand this thread. whats the problem on preordering?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@CptBedlam said:
" I don't know. I think it has become really bad in the recent 2 or 3 years when ingame-material became part of preorder bonuses. I fully reject this concept and I don't do preorders as a matter of principle. "
I'll preorder a game which I know I'll like and I know I want to support, in terms of growing its community and so on.  I agree, in game bonuses are pretty poor and never are worthy of inclusion.  On the other hand, when it comes to early access to a beta or merchandising I can see some value in them.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thecleric
@Cerza said:
" @PenguinDust said:
" The most ludicrous thing I can remember is being told I can't buy a game from Gamestop on the day it was released because I didn't pre-order.  Do they still do that?  I don't pre-order from Gamestop anymore, but I do from Amazon provided they offer a $10-$20 credit voucher for future game purchases. "
Yes they do, but rather than tell you you can't buy it, they will tell you they don't have it even if they have a stack of them right there. If you ask about the stack of games you want to buy that are right there they will tell you that those are reserved for people who pre-ordered.   As far as pre-ordering goes, the first time I remember running into it was at EB Games in the mid 90's back when EB was still EB and not GameStop with a different logo. "
Because those actually are pre-ordered, why would they not want to sell a product? Jesus I swear all Gamestop customers think they're victims.
ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ztiworoh

As someone who doesn't always have time to go to Gamestop on launch day, I've gotten into pre-ordering on Amazon with day-of delivery. Guarantees I get the game and i usually get a $10 credit.

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By wh1terav3n
@bartok: 1. They're shoving percentage numbers down our throats based on reserves and edge cards, our hours get cut if we don't perform (or they get cut anyways)
2. It's how they know how many games to ship us. If we only reserve 2 say, bioshock 2's, we'll get maybe 5 games, but if we reserve 30, we'll get 50. So the publishers shove it down our throats too because they want to know how many copies to make.
belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By belaraphon

i've never really had an issue with the gamestops close to me.  i usually preorder games just to have the peace of mind that i can go into the store the day it comes out and buy it.  most of the employees only mention preordering games once i am checking out and if i say "no thanks" they drop it all together.  

StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By StarwindX9

Personally I pre-order every game I want, just so I know I get a sealed copy and don't have to hunt around for a copy. 

Janzaruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Janzaruk
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
" dont understand this thread. whats the problem on preordering? "  

The problem is you are giving companies money for a product that is not finite. I live in very small town in Indiana, and I get any game on release day, no problems. You are giving GameStop money which they invest and draw interest from, for a product to which there is no rarity. Amazon's method of not charging you until it ships is much more ethical, though not as an efficient business model.  

There is nothing wrong with pre-ordering. A lot of people live lives that do not allow them to make to a video game store every Tuesday. However, with much more consumer friendly options out there, I do think gamers should have an issue with fellow gamers who pre-order from GameStop or any other company that requires a monetary deposit on a non rare commodity.  

Now for Special Editions, etc, I can understand it a lot more. However, as a previous poster mentioned, Amazon will deliver release day 

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By WickedCobra03
@CptBedlam said:
" I don't know. I think it has become really bad in the recent 2 or 3 years when ingame-material became part of preorder bonuses. I fully reject this concept and I don't do preorders as a matter of principle. "
Same here.  You don't know how pissed I am about Battlefield: Bad Company 2 where they will not let you play a game mode unless you; a) pre-order or b.) wait a month until the pre-order exclusivity ends.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#15  Edited By citizenkane

When DLC became popular enough that game retailers can entice customers by bundling pre-orders with store exclusive DLC content.

That was the fall for you.

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thecleric
@Janzaruk said:
" @AnnouncerGXZ said:
 The problem is you are giving companies money for a product that is not finite. I live in very small town in Indiana, and I get any game on release day, no problems. You are giving GameStop money which they invest and draw interest from, for a product to which there is no rarity. Amazon's method of not charging you until it ships is much more ethical, though not as an efficient business model.   There is nothing wrong with pre-ordering. A lot of people live lives that do not allow them to make to a video game store every Tuesday. However, with much more consumer friendly options out there, I do think gamers should have an issue with fellow gamers who pre-order from GameStop or any other company that requires a monetary deposit on a non rare commodity.   Now for Special Editions, etc, I can understand it a lot more. However, as a previous poster mentioned, Amazon will deliver release day   "
You can't draw interest from a deposit.
septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By septim

Pre-ordering is really only for the benefit or the publishers and retailers so that they can gauge how many copies to produce and how much space they should allocate on shelves. 

Now here's where publishers can fuck themselves. If I get a price break or a tangible real world benefit to pre-ordering I might be tempted. But when you're just restricting already developed content to use as a "bonus" that's when you cross into bullshit territory.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Cerza
@thecleric said:
" @Cerza said:
" @PenguinDust said:
Yes they do, but rather than tell you you can't buy it, they will tell you they don't have it even if they have a stack of them right there. If you ask about the stack of games you want to buy that are right there they will tell you that those are reserved for people who pre-ordered.   As far as pre-ordering goes, the first time I remember running into it was at EB Games in the mid 90's back when EB was still EB and not GameStop with a different logo. "
Because those actually are pre-ordered, why would they not want to sell a product? Jesus I swear all Gamestop customers think they're victims. "
Not all of them are pre-ordered. They always get some extra. I have several friends who used to work there (GameStop) and several friends who still work there and all them of  have told me there are times where they will intentionally not sell a new game to a customer who hasn't pre-ordered in order to punish the customer in an effort to get them to pre-order in the future. Getting people to pre-order is to the clerks, stores, and publishers benefit. See wh1terav3n's comment above.
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mmmslash
@thecleric: You'll never, ever see a release where Gamestop does not have more copies than they had preorders. Between the dwindling demand for a Day 1 purchase in the recession, to the number of parents who simply forgot they preordered something months ago, there will always be at least a half-dozen left over the next day.

They are liars and cheats, and are the pit of the video game industry.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ch13696
@Cerza said:
" @PenguinDust said:
It's also the fact that developers and publishers can say they sold out of the games. Therefor making a hype. Just like when the 360 first come out they said, I could be wrong, they would ship only 1 million in the US. That's why when the Wii fist came out they only made so many a year so that way they can say they sold out. Trust me, that process worked. That's why they only take care of pre-orders for the first week. 

In the end it sucks for the people that are pinching pennies right now. But then again get the games at Wal-mart or Target. They never sell out.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Jesus Christ, what is with you people and your complaining about gamestop?  Oh wow, he asked you if you wanted to pre-order a game? Get out the rape kit and fly in Horatio Caine.  

thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thecleric
@Cerza said:
" @thecleric said:
" @Cerza said:
" @PenguinDust said:
Because those actually are pre-ordered, why would they not want to sell a product? Jesus I swear all Gamestop customers think they're victims. "
Not all of them are pre-ordered. They always get some extra. I have several friends who used to work there (GameStop) and several friends who still work there and all them of  have told me there are times where they will intentionally not sell a new game to a customer who hasn't pre-ordered in order to punish the customer in an effort to get them to pre-order in the future. Getting people to pre-order is to the clerks, stores, and publishers benefit. See wh1terav3n's comment above. "
And I've worked there and never been told that, but keep making blanket accusations. Every company does stuff like this, it's cute how people think Gamestop is terrible, but continue to shop there. 

@Mmmslash said:
" @thecleric: You'll never, ever see a release where Gamestop does not have more copies than they had preorders. Between the dwindling demand for a Day 1 purchase in the recession, to the number of parents who simply forgot they preordered something months ago, there will always be at least a half-dozen left over the next day.  They are liars and cheats, and are the pit of the video game industry. "
Uh, yeah I will, as I have. Demon's Souls was an example where we only got reserves. The reserves are held for 48 hours, because people don't OGM NEED GAEM NOW, so it still is reserved, so they still have every right to withhold it from you.
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mmmslash
@thecleric: And I also worked there for a summer, and you are the very first fellow Gamestop employee I have ever met to defend any action they have done. What about those quotas they forced on you, unofficially, or else they stripped your hours? If I didn't peddle shitty shovelware to poor mothers, I wasn't going to pay my fucking rent!

No, Gamestop is the devil, and you should feel ashamed for defending anything they do.
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I wouldn't care so much if the stuff was made available after the fact to people who didn't preorder for a small fee - I didn't pre-order Mass Effect 2 at Gamespot because they were out of the Collector's Edition - now that I have the damn thing and learned how useless the bonus armor is I would have rather gotten the Gamespot Heavy Weapon, CE or no. 
I guess it's supposed to be a bonus for people who 'have faith' in a particular game but given how much they cost it's generally not worth the risk to buy something you haven't played.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By TheHBK

I also think that it started to get big in the PS2/Xbox/GC era.  Though why I am not sure.  Don't remember preorders for the N64 being big.  I think it is because in that time, games got more high profile, especially in the media starting with the PS2 launch and the coverage that got.  I think the Wind Waker was the first game I ever preordered because you got that sweet Ocarina of Time disc for the gamecube.  But it sure is retarded, though I like the approach of Best Buy, where you dont get pressured, They have boxes you buy and they let you know if you get anything if you preorder the game.  Just sucks when they have something sweet, or a sweet preorder box and they run out.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bybeach

Pre-order favors the sellor and who they sell for by lining up sales before reputation, by word of mouth or reviews,occurs. But it isn`t so one side loaded when you consider you get it on release day, and it is after all a matter of your own judgement, no one is forcing you. 

Futhermore, whats this need for gamestop..they really do take the money up front? I go with amazon and their frequent money off vouchers, I can only lose if my choice was bad. And I  sometimes pre-order from  Steam but that includes a unique direct download in the mix, besides  a probable discount.

No need for Gamestop, sounds all their way! As for pre-ordering, i think it is getting garbaged up with all the embellishments outside of money back, but i have nothing against the concept. Whatch out though when they connive to make it seem neccessary that for a full or enchanced game, you must pre-order.

JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By JeevesPleez

@CitizenKane said:

" When DLC became popular enough that game retails can entice customers by bundling pre-orders with store exclusive DLC content.  That was the fall for you. "

This is what pisses me off the most, especially if it's on the disc (BF:BC2?). Most of the stuff I couldn't care less about, but damn.

And while it's not "preorder" bonus, the collector's edition of AvP - maps only for the people who buy the $100 package? That's not even fair.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@bartok said:
"I went to Gamestop..."
That's when.
LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By LeetBalla

Developers and publishers want you to preorder the game first of all. Second, if we are taking about gamestop, employees are told to drive new reservations (I work at gamestop). We are just trying to keep our jobs. So next time a gamestop employee ask you to preorder, don't be a dick about it. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I guess preordering makes sense when you are buying an obscure JRPG or a 3rd Party Wii game (I really wish I would of preordered No More Heroes 1) but do you really need to reserve major releases ? They have to know they are going to sell an ass load of Modern Warfare 2, GTAs, Zelda, or Madden.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By haggis

I don't know when it started, but when Gamestop stopped selling to non-pre-orders on the day of release, I made a point of telling them I wouldn't be buying new games from them anymore. They laughed, and said something like "where else are you going to get them?" I'm pretty sure that was for Brutal Legend. And since then, I've been ordering on Amazon, and it's been fine. Sometimes I've got to wait a day for shipping, but not always. What really got me was the arrogance of it all, that attitude that "you're going to do what we tell you to do, and like it." I don't hold to that. I aim to misbehave.

Some games, like Mass Effect 2, I went out of my way to get on Day 1. Most games, though, I wait for the first wave of reviews the week it comes out, then make my decision. Day 1 games are relatively rare for me, maybe once or twice a year. The shit they're shoveling to get me to pre-order doesn't quite do it for me. You always get the sense that they've just chopped out a bit of actual content and held it back as some kind of bribe. They can keep it. I doubt I'll be a regular Gamestop customer again. They've lowered how much they pay for used games, now, as well. Hardly a point to it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Video_Game_King

When GameStop realized that they can make money by doing nothing and not having to meet their obligations/make it so that they don't have to.

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cannedstingray

I don't have a big problem with pre orders, unless they withhold content, that's pretty lame..  However I have a big problem with stores not selling a product on release day.. 
 Why in god's name wouldn't they have enough copies on hand to sell to release day customers?  They can still have the preorder only stack, but why not have more to sell to walk ins..  I can't imagime that game publishers think it's a good idea since it could possibly skew sales numbers, and I would bet they wouldn't be too happy to hear that stores aren't selling their product on release day...
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Since GameStop.

CrimsonJester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By CrimsonJester

I no longer will enter GameStop.  I hate any retailer that uses the Hard sell tactics. 
What bothers and confuses me is why the publishers continue to support Gamestop and others by giving them exclusive pre-order bonuses and then yell at the used game market they thrive on so much.  If the publishers want to get pre-orders at least make it the same everywhere, don't make me feel like I'm missing something because I don't want to support a specific retailer.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Jeffsekai

People need to stop bitching about EB jesus...

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By aaox
@CitizenKane said:

" When DLC became popular enough that game retailers can entice customers by bundling pre-orders with store exclusive DLC content.  That was the fall for you. "

And the moderator once again solves your conundrums with ONE FELL SWOOP.
rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By rjaylee

Some people here need to seriously get their facts straight and understand exactly how marketing and business works rather than simply raging against the machine and assuming corporations are just out to get them.
Janzaruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Janzaruk
@thecleric said:
" @Janzaruk said:
" @AnnouncerGXZ said:
 The problem is you are giving companies money for a product that is not finite. I live in very small town in Indiana, and I get any game on release day, no problems. You are giving GameStop money which they invest and draw interest from, for a product to which there is no rarity. Amazon's method of not charging you until it ships is much more ethical, though not as an efficient business model.   There is nothing wrong with pre-ordering. A lot of people live lives that do not allow them to make to a video game store every Tuesday. However, with much more consumer friendly options out there, I do think gamers should have an issue with fellow gamers who pre-order from GameStop or any other company that requires a monetary deposit on a non rare commodity.   Now for Special Editions, etc, I can understand it a lot more. However, as a previous poster mentioned, Amazon will deliver release day   "
You can't draw interest from a deposit. "
You can't? Sure you can. If 100,000 people pre-order a game for $5, on average, say 45 days before release. That company has that money in their "pockets' with no costs out the door for a month and a half. They can invest that capital and draw profit and/or interest with a rolling account. It's a great and proven business model if you are selling a finite product. However, it relies on some pretty shady practices against consumers when applied to products that are not limited.  
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RsistncE
@heatDrive88 said:

" Some people here need to seriously get their facts straight and understand exactly how marketing and business works rather than simply raging against the machine and assuming corporations are just out to get them. "

I'm quite sure everyone knows HOW businesses work and that is exactly the problem people have...with how they work. In other words, to most people, business ethics is an oxymoron.

Either way, the games industry has been peddling a lot of bullshit in the past few years. Withholding content on the grounds of not pre-ordering the game from a specific retailer? Bullshit. Charging for an online server that offers nothing more than another service does? Bullshit. Charging for DLC that's already on the disc? Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit. The list goes on. It's only a matter of time before they really piss people off and have to deal with a class action lawsuit consisting of half of the worlds fucking population.

It's gonna be just like Jeff said, "We're gonna be able to look back at this one point and say, 'Yeah, this is where it all went bad.'"
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41  Edited By natetodamax

I went to Gamestop Tuesday to get Bioshock 2. The lady behind the counter politely asked if we wanted to pre order anything. My mom said no. We got the game and left. We moved on with our lives.

So yeah, people who complain about that come off as whiny bitches.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GunnBjorn

Since the emergence of clever, fortune horny businessmen?
Siris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Siris

Game crazy does this too, it is bullshit as RsistncE says. The only reason I would want to go to a game store in the first place is to buy a physical copy of a game that just came out. If they can't provide that simple service to me, then they are entirely useless and their practice of forcing customers to buy pre-orders will cause their company has to die. Hell, Game Crazy is already going out of business and I'm glad.. The more services like Steam start to take over, the less we will have to deal with the bullshit of pre-orders on street release dates, and copies being withheld from paying customers.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#44  Edited By King9999

It's shoved down our throats?  News to me.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By rjaylee

If things like this are really want gets under people's skin to such a degree, then they need to rethink their priorities and really think about weighing their purchase decisions on a more realistic scale. 

It's downright simple. If you don't like it, don't buy it, and move on. If you want to create a change, stop crying bullshit and pointing fingers at people/things and actually go do something within reason and law about it. And no, sitting in front of a computer and crying into a blog isn't how you get things done.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheGreatGuero

What I really hate now is that people that preorder will get exclusive bonus items that cannot be unlocked in the game any other way. Also, what you get can vary from different stores, so if you want everything, you may need to preorder the game at more than once place. It's the dumbest thing ever. Preordering has become a ridiculously greedy scam. On top of that, Gamestop offers you an additional warranty when you buy a game, in case your game is broke. If I ever buy a game there and it's broke as soon as I take it out of the box, and if they won't let me exchange or return it, someone's going to die.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iam3green

it first started around when ps3, xbox, gamecube was around. they noticed that people would do it. this generation when DLC started to come out for games. it was then they started really want people to preorder their games. usually they have something like a golden gun, some outfit, some kind of cool thing that u can get later in the game.