Where do you buy old games?

pizzapranks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By pizzapranks

I'm the type that likes to collect older games (older typically than what is found at a Gamestop) and was wondering where everyone buys their older games. I usually get mine online at Amazon or eBay because there are really no places nearby to buy games. The closest places to me are fairly decent sized comic book shop and a flea market that are both over an hour drive away. 

I prefer to get games in person and they are roughly the same if not cheaper than what I could get for online (except for those game resellers at flea markets who just rip you off) and there is the added bonus of being able to look at the quality when I buy it and make more impulse buys. Where do you all buy old games? Is online really the main (or only) option or do I just live in a video gameless zone?

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

Flea Market and Gamestop.  All though I will use an online medium such as Ebay or Amazon.

I believe there is a place called chuck the wagon which buys and sells old games online.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fwylo

Not from EB and Gamestop because I hate those places.  So anywhere but there.

Siepher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Siepher

If you prefer to get the games in person, it would probably be a good idea to share your whereabouts.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Brians

depends on oldity?
what rhymes with steam and when I say rhymes with i mean is steam.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JokerSmilez

I always get my old games on ebay. There's a flea market in Calgary that sometimes has good games, but nothing usually I'm actually interested in.

Usually the places that sell vintage games I'm interested in are WAY over priced. Earthbound for $120?? No thanks.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By chronicsmoke

flea markets,ebay,gamestop,pawn shops

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By subject2change

eBay or Half.com, if I ever see a garage sale ill check it out. Love finding old games there or lots of Magic The Gathering cards to attempt to make a profit off of.

ATrevelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ATrevelan

If you're looking for old PC games, gog.com is awesome. Nothing costs more than $9.99 and they've got a pretty sick selection now that they've been around for a few years.

Clembo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Clembo

I'm looking for a place in the UK that sells Gamecube and N64 games.  Amazon are stupid expensive and GAME are like "lol wii onli sel wii gaems!"

Can any UK-duders throw me a bone?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Clembo: Some Gamestation stores sell older games, but not every store, and their variety is severely limited compared to what they used to have. Apart from that - eBay is your best bet.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous

Steam.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pazy
@Clembo said:

" I'm looking for a place in the UK that sells Gamecube and N64 games.  Amazon are stupid expensive and GAME are like "lol wii onli sel wii gaems!"  Can any UK-duders throw me a bone? "

The only place I know of to buy N64/GC games (or really anything that isnt current gen or PS2) is Amazon/Ebay. The only physical store I know of to get them is "Gforce" which is in the town centre of Glasgow on Union Street.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

The Games Centre in Toronto. Small shop, but they have a surprisingly decent collection of older games. Not the obvious ones though, they have either pieces of total shit (like LJN NES games or something) or they have weirdly rare stuff (like a sealed PS1 copy of Lunar, or a few tough to find Saturn games). Prices are actually pretty good, especially for hardware. Great for the pieces of collection you're missing in terms of hardware, like the first gameboy for 10$, or a cheap NES, or Saturn. Hell they even have a Steel Battalion in-box. 

There's another store in the city that sells even rarer games, has more consoles and stuff, even Famicom Disk Systems, Famicoms, and games for both. Tons of old school import, as well as domestic rarities. The disadvantage being they are a huge effing rip-off in prices. They'll sell any notable Dreamcast game for at least 30 bucks, which is stupid, because notable doesn't mean rare... games like Sonic Adventure should be CHEAPER than the more obscure stuff. 

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By landon

Gamestop mostly. I'm lucky if I pick up something I like for a dollar.

Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MercuryCrusader

Pawn shops, flea markets, eBay, Amazon, whatever I can get.  One place that I was reluctant to purchase from for years was Collectors Cards & Games because, well, the site just looks like it was made in the mid-1990s..  However, I took the risk one day, buying up a bunch of Genesis, TurboGrafx-16, and Intellivision games, and they're pretty good.  Been a repeat customer for them for the past year.  Their list of in-stock items seems to update once in a blue moon, but they're good about informing you if they have what you want in-stock or not.
Thrae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Thrae

Depends on how old/rare the game is. Usually online (Amazon/Ebay) or Gamestop/EB. 

Marmaladebrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#18  Edited By Marmaladebrat

I like to go Flea Markets and use eBay for the older games I am looking for.  

The Meadwolands Flea Market in New Jersey, in the parking lot of Giants Stadium. It is a great Flea Market. There are always some people selling new games at a cheaper price. And then there are a huge number of people who I think go to estate sales or just pick up their garage sales and bring it to the Flea Market. I seem to always be able to find something.  There is always alot of N64, Genesis, SNES and NES Games. I picked up a brand new Genesis and SegaCD on the cheap for myself. I found a good working Sega Master System for a friend. But my best find at this Flea Market has to be the almost brand new 3DO with all its cables and original manual. 

I recently purchased a TurboGrafx 16 on eBay. I never had one and it is nice to now have it. I just need to fnd some good old games like the Bonk, Castlevania and Bomberman games for this system. I also purchased ShenMue and ShenMue 2 on eBayy recently.
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@Marmaladebrat: Which model of the 3DO was it? Regardless, I always thought the 3DO was a neat system. I got an FZ-1 myself.

And if you've never dealt with TurboGrafx-16 stuff and plan on getting TurboGrafx-CD stuff for it, you really have to be careful.  While the CD games not region-protected, the HuCards are. Also, for most TG-CD games, you need at least a 3.0 System Card (the add-on originally came with a 2.0) which can be expensive since it was originally an item you had to order through the mail.  In fact, the only Castlevania game for the format (Rondo of Blood) is going to require all that (or a Turbo Duo, but those can be just as expensive).
Marmaladebrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Marmaladebrat
@MercuryCrusader said:
"@Marmaladebrat: Which model of the 3DO was it? Regardless, I always thought the 3DO was a neat system. I got an FZ-1 myself. And if you've never dealt with TurboGrafx-16 stuff and plan on getting TurboGrafx-CD stuff for it, you really have to be careful.  While the CD games not region-protected, the HuCards are. Also, for most TG-CD games, you need at least a 3.0 System Card (the add-on originally came with a 2.0) which can be expensive since it was originally an item you had to order through the mail.  In fact, the only Castlevania game for the format (Rondo of Blood) is going to require all that (or a Turbo Duo, but those can be just as expensive). "

Yes, I found an original 3DO FZ-1. I was pretty excited when I found it. The funny thing was at the time at the Flea Market, the only thing I found was Sid Meir's CPU Bach. It is one of those 3DO game that really does not count as a game at all. 

I am really just looking for a TurboBooster for the TurboGrafx right now. Since the TG-16 did not have RCA out, the thing can be a pain. But it seems like TurboBoosters always go for way too much money I will probably stick with looking for the Bonk games and the Bomberman games for now. A TurboGrafx CD and Rondo of Blood is for the future. 

This stuff makes me think Giant Bomb should start a swap meet forum. But then again they may not want the trouble associated with it.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#21  Edited By Yummylee

eBay. Occasionally cash converters if I'm close by...and only if I'm close by.
v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By v

I usually either go online or to the CD Game Exchange somewhat near my apartment... They usually have older games and they are pretty cheap (got Indigo Prophecy a couple of weeks ago for 5 bucks)

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Iceman2913

Amazon and Gamestop

MostlyHeadless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MostlyHeadless
@JokerSmilez said:

" I always get my old games on ebay. There's a flea market in Calgary that sometimes has good games, but nothing usually I'm actually interested in.  Usually the places that sell vintage games I'm interested in are WAY over priced. Earthbound for $120?? No thanks. "

Yeah dude, I used to go to Game Traders in the NE but I refuse now. Anything they have for $30 you can usually get on eBay for $5 or $10. I actually think they use eBay to stock their store.

I've been collecting pretty feverishly lately and from what I can tell the best options are usually online. I use eBay and Goozex. They tend to have the best prices. Somtimes amazon as well.
pizzapranks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pizzapranks
Yes, Steam is definitely the choice for PC games but it can't get me my 3rd inexplicable copy of Kung Fu. Also, seeing as most people get games from online or Gamestop I feel lucky that I have a decent store that's relatively nearby.
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MercuryCrusader
@Marmaladebrat said:
I am really just looking for a TurboBooster for the TurboGrafx right now. Since the TG-16 did not have RCA out, the thing can be a pain. But it seems like TurboBoosters always go for way too much money I will probably stick with looking for the Bonk games and the Bomberman games for now. A TurboGrafx CD and Rondo of Blood is for the future.  This stuff makes me think Giant Bomb should start a swap meet forum. But then again they may not want the trouble associated with it. "

The TurboBooster is, honestly, not worth it.  The TurboGrafx-CD add-on is literally a TurboBooster with the CD unit tacked on, or if you want to look at it another way, the TurboBooster is literally a TurboGrafx-CD without the CD unit.  The CD add-on is actually two parts: a base unit that connects to the 16, which provides RCA output, internal memory, and a better place for your AC adaptor to hook up to.  On top is a tray that the CD unit (which looks like an old portable CD player, and is pretty much a portable CD player, sans battery usage) sits on.  The base unit can work without the CD unit, and the CD unit really is the more expensive piece to the whole thing, so if you can find at the very least the base unit for a good price, go for that.  And if you end up buying the CD unit and it comes with the base unit, you can just use that for spare parts.
Turduken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Turduken

Goozex.com has me interested, though I haven't tried it myself, can't vouch for it. 

Pawn shops are pretty good too.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iam3green

ebay is the only place to think about that.

Sliced_Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Sliced_Bread