Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Redhotchilimist
No Caption Provided

The Bombcast this week had a mail about replaying games, so I wanted to hear about how everyone's replaying their games.

I tend to play through games only once, unless I really love them and/or they have a convenient New Game+ feature. Off the top of my head, I think the only games I've beaten more than once have been Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Dark Souls 1-3, Dragon's Crown, Dragon's Dogma, Super Mario World, Wario Land 2, A Link to the Past, Yoshi's Story, Donkey Kong Country, most of the Pokemon games up to Pearl/Diamond, Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland, Dragonball Advanced Adventure, Astro Boy Omega Factor, God Hand, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance and Phoenix Wright 1 and 2.

There are some games I tend to start up again and just play until I'm bored, too, like Tales of Symphonia or Wind Waker. Time is usually the issue, I feel like I've had my fill after a while. A lot of the games I've replayed are also games I played over and over again when I was younger and had more free time combined with fewer games. Yoshi's Story is not a game that necessarily deserves the all replays I gave it, to put it like that. I'm also not counting multiplayer games, which I can play forever if I love them. The roguelike or arcade structure doesn't do much for me. The game I've replayed most the most recently is Dragon's Dogma. It's got a very lenient NG+ system, coupled with a speedrun mode and a Hard mode that's not very hard at all, but gives you tons of extra gold from enemies. I also really enjoy just playing it.

I've played the first two worlds of Rayman Origins and New Super Mario Bros. Wii many times because two worlds is about the time I can keep three other people with only a passing interest in platformers interested in playing 4-player co-op with me.

Yumewaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Yumewaru

I've replayed some Castlevania's like Symphony of the Night, Portrait of Ruin and Lords of Shadow. Also, DMC: Devil May Cry and Yakuza 0. It wasn't until relatively recently have I replayed stuff with NG+ in mind. Such as Persona Q & Persona 5. Generally speaking, I do have to love a game to dive in for a second go around. But it seems twice is about all I'm potentially good for.

Persona Q in particular had a compelling NG+ hook for me.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've always replayed through a few games quite regularly, trouble is, as you get older the list of games that fall into the 'replay at some point' gets longer but the time to play them gets shorter and shorter. Super Mario World and, strange as it might sound, Turrican are the games I return to most. Fallout New Vegas (on the 360) I've returned to four or five times despite the length, which a friend pointed out negates me ever saying that I don't have enough time to play games - I just use my time badly! And this week I finally got Arkham Knight so have just restarted Arkham Asylum to work my way through the trilogy. Upon replaying I can see Asylum (if not the other Rocksteady Batman games) being a game I would come back to every now and then. I do feel bad when I scroll down all the unplayed games I have on Steam and then just find myself loading up something I've got through three or more times because I can't decide what to play.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very very few. Off the top of my head - Halo CE/2, ICO, Wind Waker, MGS, Okami, Last of Us, Dark Souls, Bastion.... not many at all.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

There are far too many good games out, coming out, and in my backlog to replay anything besides for competition, or completion's sake. It's borderline insane how many good games are coming out, big and small.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Crysis 1

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I replay a lot of games. I replay the entire Halo series about once a year. Every few years I'll pop in Mass Effect 2 or Skyrim. Often I'll play a bunch of, if not all of a game that has an incoming sequel I'm hyped for. Right now I'm replaying Mordor to get hyped for Shadow of War. Played a bunch of Xcom EW before WOTC

skuski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Mass Effect series, Bioshock, and the Halo series

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BoOzak

Ninja Gaiden, (OG, Black, Sigma, Sigma Plus) Resident Evil 4, (GC, PC, Wii, HD) DMC 3 SE, MGS 2 (OG, Substance, HD) Bloodborne and a bunch of Platinum games.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever since becoming an "adult" who always has shit to do, I barely play anything.

Back in the day (2007-2013) I used to replay Max Payne 1&2, Limbo, and the first Crysis, once a year.

@strathy said:

Crysis 1

Respect.

necronomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every few months I have to play through all of the commander keen series /bio-menace. Apogee was borderline gods with those games when I was a kid and all nostalgia aside I think they are super difficult games making the replay ability pretty fun as well . I would add monster bash to that list as well but getting past part 2 of that game makes my brain bleed. I would also add the sims series to that as well, every few months my wife is reinstalling that game and then it ends up deleted due to the horrible lag fest of a game play that is sims 3 or it just corrupts the save, lovely EA games.

hawk767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hawk767

In terms of games I've actually replayed through to completion that's a pretty short list. Elder Scrolls Oblivion was my first Xbox 360 game and I played and replayed that numerous times. Similarly with Fallout 3 on 360 as well. Besides that I've gone back and replayed most of the Crash Bandicoot games within the last couple of years. In terms of what I will regularly go back to play, but typical not complete, I'll regularly or multiple times a year replay any game in the Souls series. Similarly I'll get into playing a Bethesda title or two, Fallout 4 currently, usually weighted down with a ton of mods. I'll also download the latest update to Dwarf Fortress when that comes out and play till my fort's doom. The games I usually replay are ones I can mod to hell and turn them into a new experience, though the Souls titles aren't like that for me. More linear titles I may revisit but in the case of Crash its something I won't touch for a number of years before coming back to.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Right now I'm replaying WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2006 but I replay tons of games here's my most replayed games I can think of.

• F.E.A.R.
  • Condemned Criminal Origins
  • Crysis
  • Max Payne games all of them
  • GTA IV and V sometimes San Andreas
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Spec Op's the Line
  • Dead Space 1 and 2
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#17 fisk0  Moderator

I guess there are very few games I actually "replay" rather than dig up new content for. Sure, I replay Doom 1's episode 1 every now and then, but the reason I've played Doom and Wolfenstein 3D monthly for the last 20 years aren't the official levels, but the endless stream of user created content for those games, meaning I never have to replay the same map or episode twice.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Muerthoz

I've played Portal 2 Fallout 3 and Skyrim twice but the games that really get multiple playthroughs for me are Link to the Past, Final Fantasy I & IV and Chrono Trigger. Like others have said, I don't really have time for multiple playthroughs anymore. My stack of current games I haven't finished is already too high and it keeps growing.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By elmorales94

I replay Psychonauts about once a year. I also go through Flower whenever I'm having a particularly rough time-- I think I've played that about four times.

I really can't think of two many other games with conventional story/level structures that I've played more than twice. Maybe Uncharted 2? Maybe Mirror's Edge? I usually just stick to one replay, if any.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's mostly Halo as a whole randomly through the year, and then I try to bang out one run of Half Life 2 each year, because I enjoy fucking around in that game way too much. No other game has given me the "have 12 hotkeys set to spawn random enemies / NPCs to fight each other" thing as well as HL2 has. Fallout 3/NV/4 are close but require more work to do effectively, and one of the STALKER games had a mod menu that did that, but nothing as simple or as quick as HL2. I usually spawn so many things whenever I stop at a good spot that, by the time I decide to continue on, the game will crash at the next checkpoint.

It's just fun having 20 Combine soldiers try and fend of 40+ zombies, and then when that's going strong just drop an Antlion Guard on top of 'em. All while I float in the sky like a god.

And then Halo is just Halo, and is my favorite game universe. I'll usually do 1-3 back to back, and the rest of them just whenever I feel like it.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Here are some notable examples for me:

• Persona 3 / Persona 4: Different version and NG+. P3 I've played to completion twice, and P4 I've played through four times. I will do this with P5, but probably next year due to time.
  • Tales of Graces f: At some point I thought it would take a lot of work to get the platinum trophy...and that motivated me to pursue it. I think I ended up playing through the game three times as a result, to get new perks with how that game's NG+ worked.
  • Resident Evil 4: I think I played through that game about three times in various forms over the years.
  • Transistor: I played through that game back to back when it came out.
  • Ninja Gaiden: I played through this game like six times on the Xbox and PS3. This is probably the most amount of times I replayed a game.

Those feel like the major games for me.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only games that I will replay (especially multiple times) are games from my childhood. Mostly SNES stuff, maybe some older 90s PC games.

Matticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Matticus

The one I've replayed the most is definitely FF4. Other classics that I go back and complete on occasion are Bionic Commando, Mega Man 2, Jackal, multiple Castlevanias, Mario World, Sonic 2 and 3, etc. Basically games you can complete in one sitting.

I don't replay as many modern games, and when I do it's usually to mess around or get caught up on content, like Diablo 3 and a couple MMOs. I did complete Mass Effect numerous times, which is probably the most modern game I've done that with. I like to go back and mess around in games like MGS5 and BotW, and more recently Nioh. I loved Nioh when it came out, but high quality games were coming out left and right at the time so I set it aside after beating it. Got the season pass recently and can't stop playing. It's currently my favorite loot game.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nicksmi56

@cloudymusic said:

The only games that I will replay (especially multiple times) are games from my childhood.

Pretty much this. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is definitely my most replayed game of all time. Before I had a 3DS, I used to play games on my phone a lot, so Sonic CD is also pretty up there. But besides a random bout of nostalgia, I barely replay games anymore. Backlog's too big and too much is coming out.

The two exceptions to this rule are Mass Effect 2 and Shadow of the Colossus, because they're freaking amazing.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zeik

If I enjoy a game to the end chances are pretty good I'll play it again. It's not always my favorite games that get replayed the most though, it just depends on my mood at any given time. There was a time when I played Suikoden 2 like once a year, because I loved it so much, but it's been awhile since I last played it in full.

Ironically, I'm very bad at finishing NG+ mode though. Even if I love a game to death and immediately want to jump back in, I usually get bored halfway through and stop. I need a decent break between my replays, and by that point I want to start from scratch. Even games like Dark Souls that are designed to keep you playing into NG+ and beyond can't maintain my interest. I'd rather start a new character with a new build.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every year I try to replay at least one of my favorite games which include:

• Fallout 3, NV or 4
  • TES V: Skyrim
  • Dragon's Dogma
  • Dragon Age 1 or Inquisition
  • Dark Souls or Dark Souls 3
  • Mass Effect 2

These are not all, just those which came to mind immediately. As you can see I'm a fan of sandboxes, open worlds, rpgs. Generally, games where you can create a character in a million different ways, role play, make different choices, see different paths. These kinds of games are great to replay because every time I'll stumble upon something completely new, which I haven't seen before, be it a small mechanic or detail or something bigger like quests and locations. Every year the list expands as well, I suppose I'll replay Horizon or Persona 5 in the future, 2 games from this year that I really loved and also fit the above genres/elements.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By TheHT
  • Uncharted 1, 2, 3
  • Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 4
  • Super Mario World

Uncharted 4's story was great but the whole thing elsewise didn't quite click. I'm gonna play it again with all the stealth stuff turned off to see if I can get the same vibe I get from the older games. My main gripe was that the main elements felt out of sync (story, exploration, combat; the short end of the stick being combat.), but I wasn't sure if there really was less combat encounters relative to the climbing stuff, or if the stealth just trivialized what combat there was besides the forced shoot-outs. Because man, I really love the Uncharted games, and I wanna love Uncharted 4 as much as the old ones.

But yeah, Uncharted games for their vibe, pacing, and gameplay; those Bethesda games for their open worlds; and Super Mario World for gameplay, colours, and charm. There's a coziness that comes with them all as well, a part of which you might rightly consider nostalgia.

jacoblucky13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gone back to play Red Dead Redemption more than a few times. Never all the way through, but that game just feels SO good.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I replay games all the time, its one of the biggest selling points to a game for me. Strategy games, RPGs, and rogue-likes being the primary examples.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently on my third 100+ hour playthrough of Fallout 4.

Also A Link to the Past. That's the main game from the past that I will still revisit.

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lylebot

I rarely replay anything, but I picked up a copy of the Japanese version of Demon's Souls for like 900 yen while I was in Tokyo over the summer and I have been replaying that. It happens to be just about exactly five years since I first played it, which means it is just about exactly five years since I became a dad. I guess it's kind of weird that replaying Demon's Souls brings back more memories of that time than actually being with my now 5-year-old daughter does..?

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't really replay stuff a ton, but I've probably replayed Chrono Trigger more than any other game. I'd love a PS4 version to play again...been a while since I've played it. Aside from that the only things I typically replay are games that I like a lot and want to 100%/get all the trophies/etc., like Persona 5, Witcher 3, Resident Evil 7, etc. Also games that have choices that have varying effects on the story/world. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout etc. I have nothing that I replay once a year or anything like that.

I'll probably also get around to playing some of these PS2 on PS4 games that they've put out. Been a long time since I've played some of those games, so they could be fun to play through again during times when not much new stuff is coming out.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very often. I like to keep two games on the go most of the time. Something old either on a handheld or emulated on my tablet and something new on PC. Something old is more often than not something I've played before.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play A Link to The Past yearly. I'm like Dan in that way... *shudders*

Also I usually play through Mega Man 2/3 at some point during the year.

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Metal Gear Solid series, Shadow of the Colossus, 2D Mario's, Life is Strange, Uncharted.

Generally games that have a good story that I'd like to see again, or are just classics.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Older games that i fondly remember, but don't remember all the storybeats for. especially jRPG's & MGS games.Or older games that have been modded to make it more modern. Like i'm on the verge of going back to Deus Ex with all the mods out for that game now.

Also waiting for the high texture pack of Resident Evil 4.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been replaying Fire Emblem and Pokemon games the most these last couple years. I find RPG's easier to replay. Loot games are pretty fun as well since there is some variance.

BoboBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BoboBones

I generally don't replay much, but Super Mario World is the one game I could always go back and play. I would like to replay Witcher 2 and 3, but I missed out on the first game at launch, and decided to play that this year, instead. My memory of RE4 was that it was the perfect gaming experience, but I would rather check out Shadow of The Colossus, then play through Resident Evil 4 again.

I actually want to complete Symphony of The Night, and Dark Souls every year, but I haven't even started 3, and with the Souls, and Metroidvania fatigue setting in, I don't think it would be a good idea.

I've tried so many times to replay A Link to The Past, and Ocarina of Time (which I never actually finished on N64) but I just never seem to complete them. I always seem to burn out on Zelda games at some point along the way.

That being said, I've been having the strong urge to drop everything and replay Mario Galaxy, DMC, (2013) as well Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2.

2017 releases are just too strong!

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably too many to keep current with all the games coming out now. Dark Souls, PS1 era Resident Evil games, MGS series, Modern Warfare 1 & 2, Warcraft III, Vagrant Story, Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#40  Edited By isomeri

I mostly only replay co-op games with my friends. After I'd finished Halo more than 17 times back in the early 2010's I stopped counting my completions of that game. The first two Max Payne and Mass Effect games are exceptions of single-player only games I've played through more than once. And I completed the first couple of Pokémon games a few times as well, back when I was a kid.

In recent years though, with less and less free time and more and more games coming out, I barely have the time to play through fresh and exciting games, let alone old ones.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shindig

Souls games. Mainly for self improvement purposes. I shave a couple of hours off my PB or have bosses to finish for the first time.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've played through Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura every year since its release.

My family think this is slightly unusual.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coincidentally I'm playing Dragon's Dogma again. Still feels weird playing it at a 16:9 aspect ratio since I'm used to the letterboxing of the PS3 versions.

I also replay Fallout 4 more than I should, but Fallout 3 crashing every hour on modern 64-bit operating systems gets really tedious after a while.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time there is a new version of Dragon's Dogma I replay it until I get distracted by another game. I like to replay Naval Ops Warship Gunner 2 from time to time because there hasn't been a sequel since PS2 and it really bums me out. Its like if World of Warships was an arcade shooter instead of sim and my favorite part is you can design your own warships.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only one with any real regularity is Fallout NV. I put in a few mods and go at it every year or so.

SNES games get played occasionally but not yearly or anything.

Sometimes I'll play a series just before a new one of that series comes out but that might be the only time I'll replay those games ever.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I'm guessing that this mostly refers to story-based games, or games that you can "beat", as there are plenty of games that I'll pick up and play for some amount of time each year, the main two being Civ 5 and Crusader Kings II.

I don't have any games that I have to replay every year, but I've probably replayed Half-Life 2 every 1-2 years since it was released. Also, it's only been out a year, but I've played Stardew Valley at least every six months, playing at least for an in-game year.

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Forza Horizon. The addition of these to backwards compatibility had me playing them yet again this last year. Then there’s Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World. Also, I’m not sure if it counts age wise, but every couple months I pop back into Cities: Skylines.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Over the years I've found myself replaying the project .hack games for PS2 quite a bit. (not the G.U series). I just love the grind and searching for rare items and weapons/armor.
Replayed Half-Life a number of times, as well as Psychonauts and GUN for some reason. Games like DOOM 1 and Duke Nukem 3D are also easy to replay once you know the levels and secrets, you just speed through it.

Think I've beaten Ultima 1 three or four times. That game is easy a shit though, you just grind the dungeons for a bit and get over powered really easily.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barely have the time to even finish most games, but I usually make time to replay Rebellion every year. I know it wasn't everyone's favorite strategy game, but I love it.

System is acting up? Bring in the Death Star. "Oh, don't like the deductible on your dental plan? I guess I'll just park this death orb here for a little while. What does it do? Oh, just blow up planets."

superdomino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like replaying some of the Pokemon games. The red/blue remake is really good--as is the Gold and Silver remake for DS. Other than that, I replay Link to the Past and WindWaker about every other year or so. SNES classic has me wanting to do another Mario World play through--probly been 5ish years since I played that.

I havent read every response in here but I'd say, in general, i replay alot of my most loved games from childhood. For me thats SNES/64 era. I started playing games around 89 so there was a bit of NES bleed over in there as well. I always assumed most people who replay games replay them for either nostalgia or speed-running/competitive training.