Who here has started the series with MGS 2?

ch298807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ch298807

And how much more awesome is Raiden for popping that cherry?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

I would have you know that my cherry is firmly plump, ripe, and not ruptured in any shape way for form good sir.

ch298807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ch298807

First response to first topic ever created on Giantbomb is...disturbing...

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By falserelic

I started from metal gear solid. Not the very old mgs games the one for the PlayStation. Then MGS VR missions was my next one. After that came MGS 2.

ch298807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ch298807

Were you disappointed the main character wasn't Snake? I'm curious to hear opinions of the original MGS fans

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By falserelic

This trailer brings back good memories.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By falserelic

@ch298807 said:

Were you disappointed the main character wasn't Snake? I'm curious to hear opinions of the original MGS fans

At first I was but then raiden grew on me.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Skytylz

I tried going back to MGS 2 this week. Got through the snake part at the beginning ( the tanker or whatever) and I couldn't get myself to play it any longer. The controls do not hold up at all, I hope 3 stood the test of time better.

ch298807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ch298807

I've never played VR missions despite owning it for posterity. I swear the "!" sound effect will forever make me deuce my pants in surprise.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DocPorpoise

i started with mgs 2 cause i got back into console gaming with the ps2. i was a little disappointed but got over it pretty quickly. later played the game cube version of mgs and i remember liking that more.

ch298807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ch298807

Sktylz I really hope 3 holds up. I think after the Subsistence update it should be okay. I want to play the all of them now that MGS 4 got patched. 3 has always been my absolute favorite. People always talk about that one game that brings back the nostalgia. MGS 3 is that game.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

@Skytylz said:

I tried going back to MGS 2 this week. Got through the snake part at the beginning ( the tanker or whatever) and I couldn't get myself to play it any longer. The controls do not hold up at all, I hope 3 stood the test of time better.

From my experience after playing the MGS HD collection fairly recently, I personally don't think MGS3 holds up very well at all T_T

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I started playing with MGS2, but I still liked Snake better.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bybeach

I started with MGS 2 because that is how it was offered on PC back when. I can stand Raiden in this one, actually. I haven't gotten back to finishing the very last boss fight on the xbox 360 hd.....

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

It's the first MGS game I beat, but it changes nothing in my views of what's the best, 'cause I love them all the same. The first Metal Gear Solid game I've experienced was the demo of the first Metal Gear Solid, then I beat that after two. I just don't love Twin Snake, it's OK, and I don't like Portable Ops that much due to the controls and the whole recruiting thing I thought was dumb. It it was ever updated somehow, I'd probably be interested. Also, I don't remember hating Raiden, I thought he was great character, but of course he wasn't Solid Snake, he'll always be the main guy in MGS to me, you can't really replace him, not even Naked Snake. Still, I love them all nearly the same though. The HD Collection is the next game I want to get.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mandude

I started with MGS. Sons of Liberty was extremely disappointing for me. It's been a long time, so I can't remember whether or not my hatred for the game is based on Raiden's presence alone, or a combination of that and the rest of the game. I've heard that the story is pretty damn good, so I'll concede that I mightn't have been fair in that regard.

Raiden on the other hand, I cannot forgive. Not ever.

ch298807

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ch298807

"And it's not like the game is too difficult or anything; it's just that we all want to play stealth games right"

Yummylee, that quote, and that quote alone has perfectly articulated why I've never played through one metal gear game more than once. I love the story, I love the characters, I love Kojima's insanity. I hate making Snake look like a jackass. He's a well trained stealth soldier, not someone who murders everyone he sees.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By stonyman65

@ch298807 said:

Yes. It almost ruined the game for me in a few instances.

On the topic of MGS3, I didn't like it at all, even back then. I thought it was kind of dumb with the exception of the Ocelot stuff.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

@DocPorpoise said:

i started with mgs 2 cause i got back into console gaming with the ps2. i was a little disappointed but got over it pretty quickly. later played the game cube version of mgs and i remember liking that more.

Of course it's just an opinion, but Twin Snakes (to me) is the worst one. The original Playstation version, if you can get past the graphics, is still fantastic. Twin Snakes remixed the soundtrack, and got some knew voice actors, I remember specifically for Mei Ling. I didn't like the majority of the changes, but one thing I did like, and I think I'm in the minority on, is that they added some cool fighting scenes.

They also changed certain ways that Snake had approached situations, like instead of hiding from the guards by putting his back to a wall as he talked to the DARPA Chief, he positioned himself in the corner of the ceiling, which was a little bit ridiculous. Also, the original Metal Gear Solid still looks and sounds great, especially for a Playstation game.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By falserelic

@NTM said:

@DocPorpoise said:

Of course it's just an opinion, but Twin Snakes (to me) is the worst one. The original Playstation version, if you can get past the graphics, is still fantastic. Twin Snakes remixed the soundtrack, and got some knew voice actors, I remember specifically for Mei Ling. I didn't like the majority of the changes, but one thing I did like, and I think I'm in the minority on, is that they added some cool fighting scenes.

They also changed certain ways that Snake had approached situations, like instead of hiding from the guards by putting his back to a wall as he talked to the DARPA Chief, he positioned himself in the corner of the ceiling, which was a little bit ridiculous. Also, the original Metal Gear Solid still looks and sounds great, especially for a Playstation game.

Twin Snakes for me could have been alot better. It was suppose to be a remake, but nothing was remade outside of the cutscenes. Everything was just like how the original MGS game was and that was disappointing for me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

@falserelic said:

@NTM said:

@DocPorpoise said:

Twin Snakes for me could have been alot better. It was suppose to be a remake, but nothing was remade outside of the cutscenes. Everything was just like how the original MGS game was and that was disappointing for me.

Actually, that's exactly what a remake is, a completely updated form of something previously made, it doesn't necessarily have to do a lot different. If it was anything else, it'd be a reboot. They also changed stuff I wish wasn't changed, like the soundtrack.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By falserelic

@NTM said:

@falserelic said:

@NTM said:

@DocPorpoise said:

Actually, that's exactly what a remake is, if it was anything else, it'd be a reboot.

Look at the remake for resident evil on the gamecube. If twin snakes did something like that it would have been cool. Alot of people already played the original MGS game. The developers could have added new weapons, and changed the levels to make it feel fresh but that's just me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

@falserelic: I'm not really disagreeing with you if that's what you think. Oh, but I am disagreeing about the whole levels thing, 'cause Shadow Moses is a memorable place, one of the greatest settings in games I believe, and to change that, even if it was great, it'd still kind of be bad. You just don't change that sort of thing here. Although I guess they could have done subtle changes.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By falserelic

@NTM said:

@falserelic: I'm not really disagreeing with you if that's what you think.

I know I was just expressing my thoughts more. Everytime I think about twin snakes I feel like it had alot of potential.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Video_Game_King

Certainly not me. I think I might have played The Twin Snakes before that.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By SSValis

Yes. I think I bought it used and couldn't get pass the first part for like two months. After I finally beat it , it became one of my favorite games.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By falserelic

@NTM said:

@falserelic: I'm not really disagreeing with you if that's what you think. Oh, but I am disagreeing about the whole levels thing, 'cause Shadow Moses is a memorable place, one of the greatest settings in games I believe, and to change that, even if it was great, it'd still kind of be bad. You just don't change that sort of thing here.

I didn't mean like get rid of the setting. I meant only for the levels to be changed.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

@falserelic: I added a little more to it, and I mentioned that only if it were subtle changes. The levels can't be changed as a whole 'cause that's ruining the setting in a way. I mean, you can add a room here and there, but it shouldn't be tampered with in a way that it makes it unrecognizable to previous MGS fans. That's all.

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tobiass

I did. I didn't own a ps2. My bro had an Xbox, and I later bought a gamecube with my first paycheck so I bought twin snakes.

Borrowed a Ps2 to play MGS3 and hated it.

I don't want to play feed snake with horrible camera angles and controls that weren't meant for an action game.

Also, MGS3s story was horrible and simplistic. Extremely cheesy, I think Kojima did this on purpose as to throw his frustrations after the typical dumb American market complained about MGS2 being to complicated to understand. So e dumbed it down a lot for MGS3, even making a request to the voice actor for snake ( David Haye) to sound extra grizzly and go ugghhhhh after every sentence. It worked boss is extra annoying , the game was horrible, but the stupid americans ate it up.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By falserelic

@NTM said:

@falserelic: I added a little more to it, and I mentioned that only if it were subtle changes. The levels can't be changed as a whole 'cause that's ruining the setting in a way. I mean, you can add a room here and there, but it shouldn't be tampered with in a way that it makes it unrecognizable to previous MGS fans. That's all.

I understand. They don't have to take out the levels. But I felt like they could have added more, or done something to make them feel different. I've played the original MGS games alot when I was a kid. That when I played twin snakes everything felt very familiar, and I was able to beat the game fast.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FilipHolm

I played MGS first but 2 was the first one I actually finished. Immediately played through 1 after that though.

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

I played the original Metal Gear Solid for the PS1. I might be in the minority when it comes to playing the original and then playing MGS 2 but I actually liked Raiden. I was actually surprised by all the hate everyone had for him.

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DocPorpoise

@NTM: i started with MGS2 and didn't play the original playstation MGS so none of what you described means anything to me. it's all well and good that you like the original voices, music, etc. but i have no point of reference for that so all i can do is stare blankly and tilt my head to the side; like a dog being asked a question on quantum mechanics.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NTM

@DocPorpoise: Alright. I guess I assumed two things, you've either played the original, or you've played Twin Snakes once, and then played it again and thought it was better before. Never mind than.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

boo if you didnt start at metal gear solid. boo

DocPorpoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DocPorpoise

@NTM: oh i did play through twin snakes, quite a few times but that was after i played MGS2 which is why i said i liked it better then MGS2. just never felt the need to play through the psone version. then MGS 3 turned me off the series completely.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I started with 2 and I wasn't crazy about Raiden but I certainly don't hate him as much other people do.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#38  Edited By musubi

@falserelic: VR Missions was so great. They had those dumb detective missions that were amazing. And the last one was a joke where you just ran around for five minutes in the room wondering WTF you had to do then the Genome solider got up after the 5 minute mark and walked off revealing that he was laying on a bottle of ketchup. Oh man.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dylabaloo

Started with MGS2, I was totally fine with Raiden and still am.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Akyho

Me and my friend played the first MGS demo on a Demo disc of mines. We became obsessed with it. My friend more so. I gave him my demo disc. He found just last year in his house.

So we were big MGS fans when the game was released. We completed it multiple times.

MGS2 was coming out. My friend got wind that MGS2 Demo would be with Zone of the enders....he thought it was magazine. Hey when the hell did Demos for games come with GAMES! .....dont answer that alot did. So after a whole day hunting we failed. We eventually found out it was a game. He bought it I rented it.

Absolutely love the game to this date and Z.O.E 2. So cant wait for the HD collection. As Z.O.E 2 sits unplayable due to my ps2 being dead.

So we played that MGS 2 demo for so many hours like it was a full game. We found out all the mechanics of the game. Aswell as you can get about 25 tranquilizer darts into a soldiers face.....what we were entertained. All this time you are playing a snake.

So we first play MGS 2. Its great. Just like the first part of shadow moses outside and the tank hanager demo. We can do the Tanker in our sleep. We did it so much.

Absolutely blown away by the Snake.

Big shell part comes. We are going "eh...is that snake? bit odd...." then revealed. We were pretty miffed. figured we switch back to snake....nope.....and nope...OH SNAKE!!! 20 minute chat....gone...then we realized.

For years we were pissed at Raiden.

Nowadays we are fine with him. I bought MGS2 for the xbox1 as I wanted to replay last year. I was fine Raiden is fine. I dont know why I was so annoyed. MGS4 helps. But I get annoyed as Raiden is suddenly awesome then all of a sudden cant fight 4 guys?

I need to finish the HD version as I got he collection and finished Snake eater for the first since I needed the over the shoulder cam. I first played on ps2 and wasnt available.

So there. I hated him for years and now I sorta like him.

gtg12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gtg12

Thankfully, I started with MGS3 and it was amazing. I then went back and played mgs 1 and 2 and finally four. I already knew I wouldn't get to play as snake for 80% of the game but it still sucked not playing as the cooler guy.

projectino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By projectino

@falserelic: @falserelic said:

@NTM said:

I understand. They don't have to take out the levels. But I felt like they could have added more, or done something to make them feel different. I've played the original MGS games alot when I was a kid. That when I played twin snakes everything felt very familiar, and I was able to beat the game fast.

Are you crazy? The changed the gameplay a lot.. Hell just adding the FPS mechanic from MGS2 was a huge change...

Game was trashy for other reasons though...

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iam3green

i started with 3. i heard that it was a prequel so i get it. it was pretty good since i just knew who snake was and all that. i got 2 from the HD collection. i haven't played too much of it. from my memory i just beat the guy on roller skates.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By falserelic

@projectino said:

@falserelic: @falserelic said:

@NTM said:

Are you crazy? The changed the gameplay a lot.. Hell just adding the FPS mechanic from MGS2 was a huge change...

Game was trashy for other reasons though...

That was really the only good thing about it was that they brought the MGS 2 gameplay. Outside of that for me there was nothing really to be excited about twin snakes. Sense I've already played the original multiple times. So yeah I am crazy.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By artelinarose

Been playing MGS since they came out. I was seven when the first was released. 2 is my least favorite but not because of Raiden. More because it feels like it can't decide what the hell type of game it wants to be. There's no real overarching type of gameplay, it's a series of sidequests. There's such a small amount of actual stealth gameplay in Raiden's whole section. "okay go over here and meet this guy okay now defuse bombs okay now fight a boss okay now point a microphone at people okay now disarm some more bombs but with a sniper rifle okay now some platforming okay now..."

Mixwizzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mixwizzard

>Point to bandana

>Implying it has magic powers to allow infinite ammo.

No Caption Provided
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#47  Edited By FLStyle

I started with MGS1 but didn't have as big of a reaction to Raiden when compared to the post-modern artistic direction that MGS2 took. I love the game for it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#48  Edited By Ravenlight

@FLStyle said:

[...] but didn't have as big of a reaction to Raiden when compared to the post-modern artistic direction that MGS2 took. I love the game for it.

Same. The scope of how over my head literally everything about the plot was at the time I played it still blows me away.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By ProfessorEss

Despite loving the original I stopped playing MGS half way through 2.

I hear I missed out on some cool shit by not playing 3 but I thought 2, Raiden and the supporting cast were so lousy that I just never could get back into the franchise.