Who makes the better RPG? BioWare or Bethesda?

• 96 results
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AlwaysAngry
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gizmo

Bethesda for acknowledging their PC community. They don't pack their games full of DRM and they also relase modding tools.
The scale of their games is just mindboggling.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Gizmo said:
" Bethesda for acknowledging their PC community. They don't pack their games full of DRM and they also relase modding tools. "
He didn't ask "who supports their PC userbase better", he asked "who makes the better RPG". DRM and modding tools have nothing to do with the quality of the games.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By thatfrood

I've spent much, much more time playing Bethesda games. But at the same time, I realize Bioware definitely has a better track record for making engaging storylines.
In the end, though, I'm gonna go with Bethesda. Because of Morrowind.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Osaladin

Bioware, I've literally loved all of their games thus far.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By mutha3

Bioware, easily.

Bethesda's writers just don't hold a candle  compared to  them. It also helps that Fallout 3 was wildly inferior to their older games.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By EpicSteve

They're both so radically different. I might lean towards Bethesda for always having great DLC.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Ghostiet

BioWare, because they actually make ROLE PLAYING games.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thatfrood
@Ghostiet said:
" BioWare, because they actually make ROLE PLAYING games. "
?
confused as to what you mean here. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are all very much role playing games.
HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HODGEY3000

Bethesda    
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
? confused as to what you mean here. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are all very much role playing games. "
Yeah uh...I don't quite get that either. 
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shirogane

Don't really like games from either as much as anyone else here. Except KotOR, which is a really old Bioware game. That and The Old Republic coming up makes my vote go to them, as much as i hate to do it.
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By floodiastus
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
? confused as to what you mean here. Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are all very much role playing games. "
Yeah uh...I don't quite get that either.  "
Actually more FPS rpg-action hybrids imho.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thatfrood
@floodiastus said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
Actually more FPS rpg-action hybrids imho. "
yeah, that would just be Fallout 3.
and besides, you used the word rpg to describe it anyway.
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By CaptainObvious

Bethesda.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@floodiastus said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
That would just be Fallout 3. Also, you can't deny Mass Effect has more shooting than Fallout 3.
Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definately bioware

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By floodiastus
@AlwaysAngry said:

" @floodiastus said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
That would just be Fallout 3. Also, you can't deny Mass Effect has more shooting than Fallout 3. "
Did you even play morrowind and oblivion, very much action RPGs with swinging swords and so on. Mass effect is biowares least RPG-ish game, but look at their history all the old golden ones they made. Even the newer ones like Dragon Age are alot mor RPGish than say oblivion and morrowind imho.
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Venatio

Bioware kicks the shit out of Bethesda

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By floodiastus
@ThatFrood said:
" @floodiastus said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
yeah, that would just be Fallout 3. and besides, you used the word rpg to describe it anyway. "
Well you can say Bad Company 2 is RPG too because of leveling and unlocking, but its a scale of more or less RPGish :)
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thatfrood
@floodiastus: Let me tell you, the big draw of those games is NOT the combat. Very much not the combat. There is very, very little focus on action in either.
So how about The Witcher, then, in your perspective? An "action" rpg? And not a traditional rpg?
Oblivion and Morrowind are as rpg-y as they come.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@floodiastus said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @floodiastus said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
                                         "

Did you even play morrowind and oblivion, very much action RPGs with swinging swords and so on. Mass effect is biowares least RPG-ish game, but look at their history all the old golden ones they made. Even the newer ones like Dragon Age are alot mor RPGish than say oblivion and morrowind imho. "
-_-; 

I didn't realize sword swinging made the game a first person shooter...
mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mutha3
@ThatFrood said:
" @floodiastus: Let me tell you, the big draw of those games is NOT the combat. Very much not the combat. There is very, very little focus on action in either
Agreed. Actually WRPG in general tend  to have poor combat in my opinion. 

They usually make up for it in exploration or writing.
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By luce

Hated Dragon Age but loved Mass Effect...i think the rpg-ish things that Bioware puts in their games isn't what i like about them

Bethesda on the other hand

I loved Oblivion and think Fallout 3 is..interesting, mostly because of the amount of role playing you're actually doing

I don't have a clear understanding of what makes an rpg but i have a feeling Bethesda does them right

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thatfrood
@mutha3 said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @floodiastus: Let me tell you, the big draw of those games is NOT the combat. Very much not the combat. There is very, very little focus on action in either
Agreed. Actually WRPG in general tend  to have poor combat in my opinion.   They usually make up for it in exploration or writing. "
true.
I would go farther and say that rpgs in general tend to have poor combat, but I'm sure some people would disagree and say jrpg combat is good.
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By floodiastus
@ThatFrood said:
" @floodiastus: Let me tell you, the big draw of those games is NOT the combat. Very much not the combat. There is very, very little focus on action in either. So how about The Witcher, then, in your perspective? An "action" rpg? And not a traditional rpg? Oblivion and Morrowind are as rpg-y as they come. "
Well there IS alot of combat, much more so than in the older eldar scrolls. For me, a good RPG is always pausable or turn based, letting you carefully think about your strategic builds, skilltrees/skills and abilities. For me a good RPG usually involves more than 1 character in your party too.  Well actually I would consider more number-crunching and complexity as well as the growth of your character the core of any RPG. 

Totally hated the combat system in the new FF13 :/

Sadly I haven't played the witcher yet, but I believe it is realtime?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

I'm juggling Oblivion, FO3 and DA:O all on the PC right now (and ODST, but that's off topic) and I prefer Bioware's dialog and storytelling over Bethesda's.  When Bethesda succeed over Bioware is the the grand scale of their worlds.  You can truly just ignore the main quest and still have hours and hours of entertaining game play in one of their games.  Bioware definitely keeps the player on a much shorter leash, but that's so they can craft a tighter story for the player.  

I love both game makers immensely, but Bioware edges out Bethesda because their characters feel more real to me.  

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By floodiastus
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @floodiastus said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
That would just be Fallout 3. Also, you can't deny Mass Effect has more shooting than Fallout 3. "
Agreed, was more refering to biowares long history with other RPGs though.
Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By Xandurson

This is really tough but I think I will have to go with BioWare just because I love Mass Effect so much.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mutha3
@ThatFrood said:
" @mutha3 said:
" @ThatFrood said:
Agreed. Actually WRPG in general tend  to have poor combat in my opinion.   They usually make up for it in exploration or writing. "
true. I would go farther and say that rpgs in general tend to have poor combat, but I'm sure some people would disagree and say jrpg combat is good. "
Yeah,  I would>:(

For me personally,the only reason I play most JRPGs is because of their battle systems. With some (very) few exceptions the writing/localization  tends to be really bad.  And not in the enjoyable way either.

Well, you know what they say about taste:P
Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Raymayne

Bethesda by miles.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MysteriousBob

The answer is easy. Fallout 3 is my favourite game of this gen whereas I've never enjoyed a BioWare game.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By floodiastus
@AlwaysAngry said:
" @floodiastus said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @floodiastus said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
                                         "

Did you even play morrowind and oblivion, very much action RPGs with swinging swords and so on. Mass effect is biowares least RPG-ish game, but look at their history all the old golden ones they made. Even the newer ones like Dragon Age are alot mor RPGish than say oblivion and morrowind imho. "
-_-;   I didn't realize sword swinging made the game a first person shooter... "
Whats the difference between axing someone in left 4 dead and swinging your axe in oblivion? Or using the knife in modern warfare. Its FPS alright, especially as you can shoot bows and stuff from your first person (shoooting) :)
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By floodiastus
@MysteriousBob said:
" The answer is easy. Fallout 3 is my favourite game of this gen whereas I've never enjoyed a BioWare game. "
Not even BG or the Icewind dale series :O       

O M G

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thatfrood
@mutha3: to be fair, I do think that jrpg combat can get very strategic and intricate, which I dig. My problem has always been that the turn based nature of it can make it very frustrating and incredibly boring.
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghostiet

God.

In BioWare games, I'm actually playing a role. A living being, like Shepard or the Grey Warden. I shape him to my own will, not only stats-wise.

In Bethesda games, I run around an awful plot with a dummy, who is and always will be shallow despite my best efforts. But he'll have a 600 in Acrobatics, that's for sure.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SamStrife

Bethesda...The large open worlds are awesome and the crazy jankiness and glitches within them make them all that more loveable.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Tennmuerti

At the moment Bioware by FAR. 

If you asked me this some time ago when Morrowind came out I would have said Bethesda.
Sadly each new Bethesda game is more and more lackluster. While Bioware keeps improving with time.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thatfrood
@Tennmuerti said:
" At the moment Bioware by FAR.  If you asked me this some time ago when Morrowind came out I would have said Bethesda. Sadly each new Bethesda game is more and more lackluster. While Bioware keeps improving with time. "
This I can agree with. Morrowind is clearly their best game, and I can understand completely why people might feel their games are bland or lackluster nowadays.
fallen_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fallen_elite
@creamypies said:
" @Gizmo said:
" Bethesda for acknowledging their PC community. They don't pack their games full of DRM and they also relase modding tools. "
He didn't ask "who supports their PC userbase better", he asked "who makes the better RPG". DRM and modding tools have nothing to do with the quality of the games. "
Yes it does actually but that's another argument (harsh DRM does affect the quality of a PC game).  

I vote Bethesda but they really can't be compared imo, they're both the best at what they make, depending on your taste in games.
floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By floodiastus

It really is a discussion between open world vs story. While fallout 3 shaped up a little bit in the story department, it still aint no mass effect or baldurs gate. And while dragon age and mass effect shapes up a little in the open world department they still aint no eldar scrolls :)

Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Genjai
@PenguinDust said:
" I'm juggling Oblivion, FO3 and DA:O all on the PC right now (and ODST, but that's off topic) and I prefer Bioware's dialog and storytelling over Bethesda's.  When Bethesda succeed over Bioware is the the grand scale of their worlds.  You can truly just ignore the main quest and still have hours and hours of entertaining game play in one of their games.  Bioware definitely keeps the player on a much shorter leash, but that's so they can craft a tighter story for the player.    I love both game makers immensely, but Bioware edges out Bethesda because their characters feel more real to me.   "
^^^ this is the most genuine answer yet.

They both make great games... very, very different games. For me, Bioware games tickle some mystical itch from when I played the Star Wars table-top RPG as a 7th grader. I feel like the grand space vistas and plots (okay, our plots were terrible - but they were awesome in my head) that appeared out of my imagination are finally matched by the Mass Effect games. 

On the other hand, Fallout 3 is amazing. As far as the scope of the world goes, I feel it is unparalleled. Also, I've never truly felt like an explorer in an RPG like I have in Fallout 3. However, my personal vote goes to Bioware.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#43  Edited By ArbitraryWater

They are two radically different ways to do a genre. I prefer Bioware, because they do story and characters far better. Bethesda does big open worlds better.

laussica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By laussica

bioware, i enjoy enjoy the story and gameplay better.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@fallen_elite said:
" @creamypies said:
" @Gizmo said:
He didn't ask "who supports their PC userbase better", he asked "who makes the better RPG". DRM and modding tools have nothing to do with the quality of the games. "
Yes it does actually but that's another argument (harsh DRM does affect the quality of a PC game).   I vote Bethesda but they really can't be compared imo, they're both the best at what they make, depending on your taste in games. "
Don't get me wrong... DRM on PC games sucks. But that's not the debate here. He's talking about the games at base value... forget all the overhead stuff.
AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AltonBrown

Atlus. Or 1990s era Square.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ultimatepunchrod

thats a really tough one. bethesda has made living breathing worlds but their kind of daunting to get into. bioware makes more accessible experiences (they are not the most accessible though). id have to go with bethesda if i had to pick one but to be honest their pretty even. 

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By salad10203

I am a big bioware fan because of KOTOR but the "would you kindly" thing of Bioshock really blew me away.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#49  Edited By Vinchenzo

Blizzard.

Avatar image for ultimatepunchrod
ultimatepunchrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ultimatepunchrod
 @floodiastus said:
" @ThatFrood said:
" @floodiastus said:

" @AlwaysAngry said:

" @ThatFrood said:
" @Ghostiet said:
yeah, that would just be Fallout 3. and besides, you used the word rpg to describe it anyway. "
Well you can say Bad Company 2 is RPG too because of leveling and unlocking, but its a scale of more or less RPGish :) "
nah man morrowind and oblivion are definitely rpgs. you level up your character, interact with all the other characters in the game by speech choices. just because its in first person doesnt mean its a shooter. youve just shifted the perspective. and if you wanna look at bioware's stuff, they make the hybrids. look at mass effect. that game was advertised as a 3rd person shooter rpg. Thats not to say its not an rpg; it just has other elements in it. dragon age is probably the most traditional of the RPGs here but thats one example. bioware and bethesda both make RPGs.