Who should do Doctor Who?

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sprizmo

Doctor Who fans who are gamers have likely given this some thought. A proper Doctor Who game would be no small feat, and the question of the day is which developer team would be your choice to bring the Time Lord and his trusty Tardis to our consoles, and what kind of game should it be?  

I believe the game should have these fundamental aspects: A third person game where both the Doctor and his assistant can work in unison to solve problems in whichever dimension or time period they happen to appear next. The game should be light on action and heavy on problem solving through interaction with NPC's, objects, computer systems, etc. I'm thinking the gameplay should land somewhere between Mass Effect and Heavy Rain.  

This would of course be a unique regeneration of the Doctor, which wouldn't have to be voiced by any of the actors who have played him recently, and likewise there can be a completely new assistant. The sequels to the games can see him regenerated each time, to mix things up.

The narrative, voice acting, depth of interaction would be the most important, which leads me to believe that BioWare would be a great company to do it, especially if they develop a new engine specifically to launch what would surely become a best selling franchise. 

Any thoughts? 

No Caption Provided
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By WickedFather

Bioware are dull, though.  The problem with their games is that they've got the personality of a technical kid who only knows knock-knock jokes.  You need heart and warmth and they're the furthest thing from it.  Think the other direction, think more Doublefine and work from there.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sprizmo
@WickedFather: The personality of the game depends on the writers. BioWare has a good grasp of conversation tree mechanics, and if actual writers of the show were involved...

That said, I'm open to other developers doing it, as long as it works. And it NEEDS to happen, it would make for an excellent series of games.
jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
@WickedFather said:
Bioware are dull, though.  The problem with their games is that they've got the personality of a technical kid who only knows knock-knock jokes.  You need heart and warmth and they're the furthest thing from it.  
I disagree with you completely but yeah I rather Bioware focus on something else. 
Think the other direction, think more Doublefine and work from there.
OK that I'll agree with you on. 

The adventure game route seems the obvious choice to me, with Telltale being the obvious developer.
Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Bribo

Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sprizmo
@wasteguru said:
@WickedFather said:
Bioware are dull, though.  The problem with their games is that they've got the personality of a technical kid who only knows knock-knock jokes.  You need heart and warmth and they're the furthest thing from it.  
I disagree with you completely but yeah I rather Bioware focus on something else. 
Think the other direction, think more Doublefine and work from there.
OK that I'll agree with you on.  The adventure game route seems the obvious choice to me, with Telltale being the obvious developer.
I don't want to take anything away from TellTale because they are great and their games brim with personality. However, I don't want something cartoony, I want something graphically spot on with the show and all its fantastic visuals and settings.
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

I Can only see this as a telltale job. the fact that its a Licensed game makes it only more so.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

What about all those other Dr. Who games? City of the Daleks was a thing.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By damswedon

Sumo Digital Ltd already have that contract. 
And they are free for residents of the UK.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By rentfn

Never...Flippin LOVE doctor who...Don't see the need for a game though.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Doctorchimp

I am by no means a Doctor Who, I've seen like 5 episodes and I thought it was pretty cool.

But Obsidian?

or maybe Lionhead...cause they're british.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Nnoo clearly is the best choice I would gladly pay to have My Notebook: Tardis Blue 3D Edition for the new eshop on the 3DS.  

Serious answer would be Telltale.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sprizmo
@damswedon said:
Sumo Digital Ltd already have that contract. And they are free for residents of the UK.
Ahhh crap I must have missed that during my admittedly brief research. However, I don't think the brand should be limited to this platform.