• 79 results
winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By winsord

ScrewAttack seemed to be one of the first in that trend, though they had Destin Legarie as their host, and not a lady. Personally, I think the daily news stuff tends to be pretty useless in the gaming space, as there isn't really enough interesting stuff going on daily to warrant it; generally two of the three topics they'll cover are sales numbers and, as of late, game resolutions. With the crew already limited as is, I definitely wouldn't want them taking all that time to produce this kind of fluff.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I am pretty sure the trend was started by various busty YouTube Girls who replied to people videos with a short message and a ice view. Then people saw that this kind of presentation brings hits and they actually used it for videogames coverage. Sex Sells it is nothing new.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By DonPixel

@donpixel:

According to this, 45% of game players are female, and almost 70% are over the age of 18. Maybe you could use general sales data to guess at gamers' levels of discretionary income, but that's beyond me.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I think you still missing the point: yeah lots of females play videogames, My best friend wife loves to play COD casually, yet... she never ever visit a videogame website, last time I mentioned Giantbomb to her she thought it was a site about fail videos.

Only the hardcore of the hardcore-est take the time to visit videogame websites, those are mostly male teens.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Lets get Drew a low cut tank top and put him to work.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@donpixel:

You're not backing up your claims with any objective proof. In fact....

Only the hardcore of the hardcore-est take the time to visit videogame websites, those are mostly male teens.

Statements like this are absolutely impossible to prove objectively, meaning you don't have to try. You're falling into the True Scotsman trap I mentioned in the first post.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By Tarsier

is this another misogyny thread? look at all those slave women being commanded to look pretty up on screen to show off the video games. how atrocious right!?

:)

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Lets get Drew a low cut tank top and put him to work.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@euandewar: "Those require production work and a pretty lady. We have Google Hangouts and the Wolf."

This made me laugh way to hard.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

@rorie said:

I can't comment on the activities of our competitors (or friends), but I guess what I find most frustrating about the last few years is the trend away from written strategy guides and hints/tips stuff to a YouTube model. I don't need to watch your three-minute long video explaining how to type a code into a keypad; just tell me the code and let me do it myself goddammit.

I've never agreed with you more on anything in my whole life. Trying to find star coins in New Super Mario Bros or some random collectible in any other game has become exponentially more difficult because there's always a link to some bullcrap five minute video.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't know who started it, but I find it quite hilarious that it is almost always a woman and usually an appealing one. Click bait appealing to the site's demographic (I said site and that doesn't mean video games).

The GameSpot comments on Jody's old daily videos were pretty bad and Jane's from Start/Select were the same. Pretty sure Jess' videos get the same treatment.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#61 gamer_152  Moderator

At very least IGN popularised this. Although, I'd say this site's equivalent of this is the Giant Bomb Gaming Minute.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By TruthTellah

I feel like IGN popularized this trend, and a lot of daily updating game websites do it now. I don't really dislike it; it's just not my favorite format for news. I personally prefer to read about news unless it's Anderson Cooper or Ryan Davis.

@ramone said:

I've got just to person to host as well

Why do I still have this on my computer?

@bigjeffrey said:

I want this beauty in front of the camera telling me my vida game news

No Caption Provided

Right click, save image as hot1 and hot2.

On a serious note, these pictures and the thread that inspired them will never not make me giggle.

And on a less serious note, how is this thread not already a wave of gender-swapped versions of the staff?

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By fattony12000

I..I...

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel:

According to this, 45% of game players are female, and almost 70% are over the age of 18. Maybe you could use general sales data to guess at gamers' levels of discretionary income, but that's beyond me.

Yes, but, with 100% of all Teens I Held Up At The CVS reporting, video games are, in fact, for losers.

Huh.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@donpixel:

That's not statistical proof. That's anecdotal. Also, how many teenagers are on Giant Bomb? I just realized that.

I'm pretty sure there have been "what's yer age" polls on Giantbomb before and most of the answers were in the early 20's.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really glad Giant Bomb doesn't do obvious view-grabbing stuff like that, honestly. If there's news to talk about, they (usually) do it in a proper place where they can actually have a discussion about it, instead of a two minute segment sandwiched in ads that amounts to "____ SAID THIS TODAY AND CAUSED A STIR. TELL US WHAT YOU THINK IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!"

As for the whole thing of putting attractive women in the front seat for things like this, it's really shitty to just say this is a "gamer" or "internet" thing. Go turn on Fox News any given day and you're bound to see a blonde 30-something dumbing down news for the old male audience that channel has. This is just a thing that exists in all media. Society likes seeing pretty people, and the gender of those pretty people flips on the basis of the audience.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ramone said:

I've got just to person to host as well

I'd pay double premium for this! Alex would actually make for a pretty lady.

As for the trend of posting news every 2 seconds, videogames aren't that interesting. I'd much rather have a 3 hour podcast once a week filling me in about every little detail about everything. I almost feel 2 BOMBIN's a week is too much.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By Bollard

I think there's a much more... interesting trend in this image.

Totally surprised that wasn't what you were talking about, though.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

We already have the weekly one minute segments by Jeff. If he wants to make it on video format while showing some cleveage, I am not the one to object.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

And on a less serious note, how is this thread not already a wave of gender-swapped versions of the staff?

We have other places for that sort of thing. Safe places, free from judgment and scorn.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: GameFAQs is still where I go for my strategy needs. Sometimes videos are helpful, but yeah, most of the time they just take way too long.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@donpixel said:

@video_game_king said:

@donpixel:

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I think you still missing the point: yeah lots of females play videogames, My best friend wife loves to play COD casually, yet... she never ever visit a videogame website, last time I mentioned Giantbomb to her she thought it was a site about fail videos.

I'm pretty sure those statistics include phone games, hidden object games and facebook games. It's fair but not really relevant to the conversation. I'm super curious what the % would be if we included only handheld, console and steam games, content that's actually covered by video games websites. My guess would be around 10 to 25%.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I'm pretty sure those statistics include phone games, hidden object games and facebook games. It's fair but not really relevant to the conversation.

They've been rather consistent for as long as the ESA has been measuring them, which generally predate phone games and Facebook games.

I'm super curious what the % would be if we included only handheld, console and steam games, content that's actually covered by video games websites.

I guess we're ignoring all the Flappy Bird coverage, or this episode of Extra Credits.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By pyrodactyl

@video_game_king said:

I'm super curious what the % would be if we included only handheld, console and steam games, content that's actually covered by video games websites.

I guess we're ignoring all the Flappy Bird coverage, or this episode of Extra Credits.

No, that was exactly my point. It's even stated in the video: no one talks about hidden object games ever. Flappy Bird only came up because it was the kind of news people talk about in the game's press, not because it was a mobile game people play. How much coverage do you see for angry birds vs COD every time a new on comes out?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Pezen

Screw news, women and trends. What is up with youtube "screenshots" always having the same "BIG TEXT ABOUT THIS AWESOME THING HEY BIG PICTURE OF SOMETHING A PERSON AND WOAH COMPANY LOGO" style of cluttered mess?

Also, short to the point news updates like that are as useful as a hamburger without the meat. You think you're getting a tasty burger but all you're getting is quick fire condiments and no actual protein. For that, you'll need to read an article somewhere. I think I get the general gist of what's happening without having to watch 5 minutes of someone (of whatever gender and physical attractiveness they may or may not be and whatever they feel like identifying themselves as when it comes to their bedroom habits) quickly going through headlines with graphics in the background.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#76  Edited By wrighteous86
No Caption Provided

I'll take the job if no one else will...

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#77  Edited By Sin4profit

I always figured the daily materiel was an attraction, and hit consistency materiel, for fickle internet new comers. If you lack consistency then the internet will forget about you pretty quickly and consistency tends to trump talent. If you give people reason to come back, they will.

As far as the conversation about the hosts, it genuinely does not matter who delivers objective news so you put any ol' attractive person in the spot and you have a nice, easily digestible, marketing package to create growth for your site.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Lukeweizer

@lukeweizer: To be fair to Gamespot Jess is not the only one on the site who has thumbnails like that. Everyone video series on Gamespot that involves someone talking to a camera has a thumbnail similar to that, whether its presented by a woman or by a man. I also dont think I'd call Jess' thumbnails in particular pandering, unless you really like necks.

I'm not too familiar with Gamespot any more, I was thinking more of IGN.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By psylah

@pezen said:

Screw news, women and trends. What is up with youtube "screenshots" always having the same "BIG TEXT ABOUT THIS AWESOME THING HEY BIG PICTURE OF SOMETHING A PERSON AND WOAH COMPANY LOGO" style of cluttered mess?

I'm with you on this. This is the fucking worst. I immediately disregard any video that does this.

Example:

Loading Video...

Please don't actually play the video, I don't want to give them hits for doing this but I don't have the resources to screenshot it right now.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Wow this thread got pretty incredible.