Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By AcidBrandon18

Poll Who "won" Gamescom? (319 votes)

Sony 18%
Microsoft 8%
Hideo Kojima 69%
Nintendo? 5%

I remember back during E3 when every media outlet was talking about who won E3. I'm curious on if you duders feel if anyone "won" Gamescom. Both Sony and Microsoft had a solid showings of games and pretty decent press conferences. And lets not forget the crazy Box Tech that Kojima showed off as well as P.T. This is purely subjective and I'd like to see why you feel if one, if any, won Gamescom over the other. I personally have to go with Kojima as P.T. caught me by surprise and I adored the Box Tech. I'm kind of bummed Sony didn't show Shadow of the Beast nor that new Guerrilla IP. The biggest announcement out of Microsoft for me was the new One bundles, which I promptly pre-ordered the White Sunset Overdrive bundle, thought the Tomb Raider "exclusivity" surprised me. Who, for you, won Gamescom?

• 
Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Corevi

Kojima won. Silent Hills mindfuckery AND MGSV on PC!?! What more do you want from a video game press thing?

No Caption Provided

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I did

the concept of "winning" these sorts of events is downright stupid

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There's no "winners" at things like this. Everything had something for different people. It's like when people try to "Grade" a conference.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've come out of Gamescom wanting FIFA 15 and PES 2015. Damn it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima and del Toro are making a new Silent Hill. We all win.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really hope this stays a true statement. I've been let down for far too long by the Silent Hill franchise.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Sony Box, the best Steam Box yet, and a "trailer" so fascinating it'll be the first straight horror (I don't really count RE4) game I try to play since the REmake on Gamecube (as soon as I can convince my girlfriend to keep my company)? I'd say Kojima is a no brainer.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The announcement that Tiger was coming back with an "R-zone 2" was the clear winner.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By nightriff

Kojima always wins people

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I'm really looking forward to that Q Games game shown at Sony, but that Silent Hill / MGS combo stole the show.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum said:

I did

the concept of "winning" these sorts of events is downright stupid

I bet PS4 selling as much as double what Xbox One is has nothing to do with last year's E3. Consumer perception of these companies' products is greatly informed by these conventions. You can disagree with the term "winning", but the effect is very real regardless.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

<sigh>

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decoy Octopus won

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Kojima.

He showed a 5 minute cardboard box trailer on the main stage ; faked everyone out with PT aka Silent Hills, the Guillermo del Toro combo horror game ; leaked MGSV on Steam news (made a Steam cardboard box in-game item to boot) ; programmed horse shit into The Phantom Pain as a stealth weapon, and mentally convinced Dan and Drew to embark on an MGS premium feature on Giant Bomb.

On stage at the Konami thing with Keighley, Kojima joked the Special Edition of Silent Hills will ship with a spare pare of pants. Because you will shit yourself.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima was actually involved with the two things I remember most, so I guess him. Not into horror games really, but watching Patrick play P.T. was both engrossing and terrifying. I didn't want to watch, but I couldn't look away. And the Box stuff was just super dumb and hilarious.

The loser, without a doubt, would be anyone involved with the Tomb Raider nonsense. Some people may say there isn't such a thing as negative publicity, but that game was being mentioned for all of the wrong reasons. People were pissed. Microsoft came off looking desperate and anti consumer while Square Enix ended up looking like they took a quick money grab because they had no faith in their franchise. The horrible messaging around what "exclusive" even meant in this case didn't help. A lot of negative PR all around for ...what?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By csl316
Torbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waylon Jennings won Gamescom 2014, as usual.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Batman.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't know, but I'm fucking excited for the future of both the PS4 and XB1

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Waylon Jennings won Gamescom 2014, as usual.

You Jennings fanboys can get right the fuck out of here. We are tired of your shit.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I meant to click Microsoft but I clicked Sony anyway.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

There's no "winners" at things like this. Everything had something for different people. It's like when people try to "Grade" a conference.

Pretty much. It's fair enough to say if you have a favorite among the presentations. I thought Nintendo far and away had the best presentation at this past E3, but that's not a declaration of winning. But you can't "win" press events. And handing out grades for performance is just as absurd since you aren't necessarily who any particular presentation is targeting.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was the white Xbone announced at Gamescom? Doing something insignificant like making your console white makes me want it more. Stupid, I know.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excast said:

Kojima was actually involved with the two things I remember most, so I guess him. Not into horror games really, but watching Patrick play P.T. was both engrossing and terrifying. I didn't want to watch, but I couldn't look away. And the Box stuff was just super dumb and hilarious.

The loser, without a doubt, would be anyone involved with the Tomb Raider nonsense. Some people may say there isn't such a thing as negative publicity, but that game was being mentioned for all of the wrong reasons. People were pissed. Microsoft came off looking desperate and anti consumer while Square Enix ended up looking like they took a quick money grab because they had no faith in their franchise. The horrible messaging around what "exclusive" even meant in this case didn't help. A lot of negative PR all around for ...what?

There's a kind of crazy but still possible theory out there saying that Uncharted 4 would probably be a fall 2015 game so they took the money from Xbox for fall / holiday exclusivity because they would be directly competing with Uncharted. Now they won't be and will release later on the PS4 without as much competition.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima won both Gamescom and my heart. Also I suppose we can just stop anticipating any announcements of substance from Valve from now on?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friendlyphoenix said:

This is my thoughts exactly. Its like the opposite of Aliens vs Predator.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to say Sony, but then Kojima pulled another card from his crazy deck and stole the whole dang show away from everybody. I mean, CRAP, that was a good reveal.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose Sony because I don't give a poo about Nintendo and I don't intend on buying an X1 until the end of the generation (if I feel like it) but I'm noticing something. I only ever played MGS4 and Ground Zeroes so I didn't think much of TPP but it looks so stupid that I'm pretty pumped for it. I also never played a Silent Hill game but the PT demo made me scream profanities a couple time and was pretty damn scary (& that lighting!). So I'm excited for Silent Hills especially since Del Toro and Norman Reedus are involved. I think I made a mistake choosing Sony over Kojima.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mikey87144

I voted for Kojima but Sony seems to be winning the battle of hearts and minds.

thevowelo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: oh man, I'm soooo excited for FIFA 15.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By pr1mus

Before opening the thread, just by reading the title i said to myself Hideo Kojima.

I was not disappointed with the choices.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I came in here to snarkily post Kojima, but it seems I've been beaten to the punch.

For real though. That PT demo is such an awesome way to do a game reveal. And that box business with the MGS stuff was so dumb and great.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima won. Silent Hills mindfuckery AND MGSV on PC!?! What more do you want from a video game press thing?

No Caption Provided

This.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excast said:

If it had been Sony the lashing would have been half what it was against MS. It's a timed exclusive. Not the end of the world.

I don't know who won but I was pretty disappointed by most of Sony's showing. And Microsoft's showing. But that box thing....

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zella

Kojima for sure, super hyped for both MGSV and Silent Hills(a series I have rarely paid attention too).

I would say it was a tie between MS and Sony, MS had slightly better looking exclusives but Sony had better looking system features.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Eh, no one. I came out feeling better I bought both consoles but wishing it wasn't taking nearly a year to get a good catalog of games for it.

But really the game that stood out was Cardboard Box Simulator 2015 Metal Gear Solid 5. I have the collection collecting dust but I may have to burn through it before that game comes out.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Corevi
@finaldasa said:

Eh, no one. I came out feeling better I bought both consoles but wishing it wasn't taking nearly a year to get a good catalog of games for it.

Name one system that had a good catalogue of games within a year. Let's just put the number at 10 games.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#38 FinalDasa  Moderator

@corruptedevil: Maybe it just felt like more cause as a kid I was willing to buy whatever was on the shelf rather than waiting for reviews.

El_Funko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By El_Funko

The idea of one publisher "winning" a trade show is real dumb.

There's some good games coming up, but I didn't really have any fist-pump moments watching any of the conferences. I wish there weren't so many big games getting pushed to 2015, but if that means they're going to be better for the delays then whatever, I'll deal.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kojima "won" just by announcing the craziest shit ever.

But saying the people "won" is stupid.

If anyone won, we did because it means more games for us!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, PES demo set for release September 13th. Tell you what, given that Konami only do fitness clubs, soccer and Metal Gear, they've done a number on this year. The amount of actual stuff that's coming to Pro Evo is real nice.

1. Managers are visible for once and you can edit them
  2. simplified menus and interface
  3. some weird co-op mode where you and your buddies control attack, midfield and defence
  4. they finally figured out rain on the FOX engine
  5. Second divisions are now added to all leagues
  6. the stadium editor returns
  7. live updates like the ones in FIFA - although I wonder how that'll effect edited files or whether it signals the end of duplicate players
  8. Champions League, Europa League, Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamerica, AFC Champions League all licensed.
  9. Runs at 60 fps

Anything that boosts the player and team count gets a thumbs up from me and they're fleshing out the South American side of the game.

AtomicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Shareholders?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fattony12000
Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:
  1. they finally figured out rain on the FOX engine

Pretty sure they figured that out in 2012 when the first Ground Zeroes trailer debuted.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody passed the message on to PES productions. :(

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@finaldasa said:

Name one system that had a good catalogue of games within a year. Let's just put the number at 10 games.

The Nintendo GameCube, in its first year of release:

Luigis mansion

Wave race

Pikmin

Ssx tricky

Rogue squadron 2

Super monkey ball

Animal crossing

Burn out

Eternal darkness

Metroid prime

Resident evil remake

Resident evil 0

Star Fox adventures

Jedi knight 2

Super Mario sunshine

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Corevi
@carryboy said:

@corruptedevil said:

The Nintendo GameCube, in its first year of release:

• Luigis mansion
  • Wave race
  • Pikmin
  • Ssx tricky
  • Rogue squadron 2
  • Super monkey ball
  • Animal crossing
  • Burn out
  • Eternal darkness
  • Metroid prime
  • Resident evil remake
  • Resident evil 0
  • Star Fox adventures
  • Jedi knight 2
  • Super Mario sunshine

A few of those were N64 and Disk Drive games pushed back for the Gamecube but sure (Star Fox Adventures and Animal Crossing being the most egregious.) It's a shame that the rest of that consoles life wasn't nearly as strong.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Capum15

No Caption Provided

Yeah, these are both fantastic. Damn, I might buy MGS5 now.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game Conferences: The only winning move is not to play.