Why are Kotaku covering films?

JJGIANT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By JJGIANT

I hate how Kotaku are now all of a sudden covering films. It's as though they are saying "Hey you love our opinions about video games so much, why don't we tell you about movies!" 

As though they have anything credible or interesting to say about a media they don't and shouldn't cover. 

Go to the front page of Kotaku and see how many movie related stories they have....and then go to this website http://www.slashfilm.com/

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Whisperkill

Because they are dumb...

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Castro

I think it's pretty peculiar as well. I'm fine with it as it doesn't take too long to scroll past the stories that I'm not interested in, but I don't understand why they're doing it. I'm actually kinda surprised that Gawker doesn't have a film-related website.

Yeah, Slashfilm is awesome.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Supermarius

Weren't they talking about prince of persia? Thats "sort-of" a videogame movie. But yeah they do go off topic. At least the fucking ipad stories have calmed down.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Blackout62

Frankly I couldn't be more pleased with Kotaku's new obsession with "chesty Jake Gyllenhal", films are awesome and Kotaku should get in on that action.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By apathylad
@Supermarius: @Blackout62:  

They have a story up on The Hobbit movie, how's that tied with video games? -_-'
Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Steve_C

They need to maintain post count and there's not much news before e3.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#8  Edited By Hailinel
@Apathylad said:
" @Supermarius: @Blackout62:   They have a story up on The Hobbit movie, how's that tied with video games? -_-' "
Kotaku seems more and more obsessed with stories that they the editors find fascinating, and since they're gamers and find these topics fascinating, then everyone else must, too.  So we end up with movie reviews for movies with no obvious video game ties, science articles that you have to strain very hard to make any sort of video game connection, and lots and lots of Haruhi Suzumiya articles because all video game fans like Japanese high school girls.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Milkman

Kotaku is the absolute worst, that's why. How do you have a website that calls itself "The Gamer's Guide" and then half of the posts have absolutely nothing to do with video games?

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I use Joystiq but I think that Kotaku should create another site for movies.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Supermarius
@Hailinel said:
" @Apathylad said:
" @Supermarius: @Blackout62:   They have a story up on The Hobbit movie, how's that tied with video games? -_-' "
Kotaku seems more and more obsessed with stories that they the editors find fascinating, and since they're gamers and find these topics fascinating, then everyone else must, too.  So we end up with movie reviews for movies with no obvious video game ties, science articles that you have to strain very hard to make any sort of video game connection, and lots and lots of Haruhi Suzumiya articles because all video game fans like Japanese high school girls. "
its funny, as this generation has gone on, Japan has become less and less significant for me. At this point the only things that matter from japan are nintendo's franchises, capcom's fighters, anything Atlus makes (yay atlus), and sometimes a squeenix game. Alot of my other favorite japanese developers are in serious to terminal decline, like SNK, Gust, and Nippon Ichi.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#12  Edited By Hailinel
@ISuperGamerI said:
" I use Joystiq but I think that Kotaku should create another site for movies. "
Kotaku is part of Gawker Media, which is a collection of websites not unlike Whiskey Media.  Kotaku is the "gaming" site, Gizmodo is the "gadgets" site (like Tested), but as far as I know, there is no Gawker movie site.

I honestly wouldn't trust the Kotaku staff to run a movie site, anyway.  They'd probably spend half of their time talking about a quarter of their time talking about movies, half their time talking about video games, and the remaining quarter filled with miscellaneous articles that no amount of logical reasoning could feasibly associate with the topic of cinema.
ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ISuperGamerI
@Hailinel said:
" @ISuperGamerI said:
" I use Joystiq but I think that Kotaku should create another site for movies. "
Kotaku is part of Gawker Media, which is a collection of websites not unlike Whiskey Media.  Kotaku is the "gaming" site, Gizmodo is the "gadgets" site (like Tested), but as far as I know, there is no Gawker movie site.  I honestly wouldn't trust the Kotaku staff to run a movie site, anyway.  They'd probably spend half of their time talking about a quarter of their time talking about movies, half their time talking about video games, and the remaining quarter filled with miscellaneous articles that no amount of logical reasoning could feasibly associate with the topic of cinema. "
Lol well you might be right. :P
adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adoggz

yeah F kotaku. they should be more like giantbomb who only ever discus videogames and like totally don't have a whole video series about movies and such.

MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I agree with pretty much every other poster here. Kotaku is poop.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Dany

Films and TV shows. Sure, I'd like to see Vinny/Ryan talk about movies/tv knowing after the screened podcast they have some knowledge in some stuff but their is a place for that, screened.com Kotaku, really gawker, does not have a movie/tv section and none of their staffers appear to cross over, which i would like the staff here to do

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#17  Edited By BeachThunder

I've only seen the review of PoP, which is obviously related; so for me that's fine. But there does seem to be a lot of stuff about unrelated Japanese culture. And there's far too many articles about random video game fanart.

Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Cazamalos

i love them and all, but honestly, kotaku have A LOT of dump "news"

Avatar image for thegreenbastard
TheGreenBastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheGreenBastard

Aww, Kotaku doesn't deserve such hate :P
They provide a ALOT of news. If I dont check my rss feeds often enough there might up to 100 new posts from Kotaku in a few days. Thats just crazy... but enough crazy if you're looking for gaming related news plus other stuff.
As to the movie related stuff popping up recently... maybe because of the new Prince of Persia film? Also I think they run some sponsored posts from time to time.
But I think its because Kotaku has developed to the point where they provide more "geek" related news... Their coverage of new gadgets, video games, superheroes, manga, anime... chesty manga/anime related toys etc etc... are all otaku and geek related to a point.
I guess maybe they need to update their slogan then?
Personally I don't have any problems with Kotaku... its pretty much a given now that you're gonna get a bunch of other unrelated news anyway. But all in all I think they're pretty on the ball when it comes to video game related news plus a few other odd stuff. I don't really mind where they're going with Kotaku. Its still always going to be video game related.